• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Equity or Equality?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by 98cwitr, Apr 14, 2021.

Equity or Equality?

1. Equity

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Equality

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+11,147
    Catholic
    You initially stated that financial aid is a problem of equity, is that no longer the case, or did I mistake your explanation (you pointed to links without explanation)? I support using a holistic approach to college admissions that uses multiple factors. Many people speak of merit, yet they don't seem to really support everything based on merit alone. Nonetheless, was the purpose of this thread to discuss college admissions or what are the meanings of equality and equity?

2. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+11,147
    Catholic
    It seems this thread is not really about equity and more about blaming people for the effects of systemic problems in American society. When I think of equity, I think of the disabled and the access and type of education they receive. I would never argue they should be treated exactly the same as students without physical or mental impediments.

3. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+4,027
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Working two and three jobs cuts into “family time”, yes.

4. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+17,431
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Right.

5. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+7,435
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Tell the Vice President to pick a different word then....like communism.

The Democratic left describes equity as everyone getting the same outcomes. If you think they are wrong or being deceptive....feel free to tell everyone about it.

I'd agree that not only is it deceptive..it's harmful.

6. Pommer

+4,027
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Short enough to fit on a bumpersticker and wrong enough to pull in “the usual suspects”!

7. Pommer

+4,027
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    ibid

8. Pommer

+4,027
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Please cease attempting to turn this into a “race thread”, thanks.

9. Ana the Ist

+7,435
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Absolutely....as long as you can actually define it.

Nobody actually uses any of the "new" definitions of racism.

If someone calls Serena Williams a racial slur.....people call that racism, and it is, under the old definition.

That's how people use the term.

The only time people trot out the new definition of "power + privilege" is to defend themselves against accusations of racism.

Nobody ever actually makes any analysis of power before calling someone racist. It's a fake definition.

10. Ana the Ist

+7,435
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Equitable treatment means we all end up at the same place.-Kamala Harris

Is the Vice President a "usual suspect" to you?

11. Pommer

+4,027
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    She’s wrong. So sez I.

12. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+12,046
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
  13. Ana the Ist

+7,435
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Well then stop voting Democrat. They're pushing racial equity hard...

Biden’s U.N. Ambassador: ‘White Supremacy Is Weaved into Our Founding Documents and Principles’

Linda Thomas-Greenfield, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, said Wednesday that racial equity is a top focus for her as “white supremacy is weaved into our founding documents and principles” in the U.S.

That’s why the Biden administration has made racial equity a top priority across the entire government and I’m making it a real focus on my tenure at the U.S. mission to the United Nations,” she said.

The Democratic party is now packed full of racists who want to treat people differently according to race.

That's based on their own words.

14. Ana the Ist

+7,435
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Well as of today there's no male only colleges.

However there's dozens of female only colleges if I remember correctly.

You believe they should admit men or close?

15. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+3,205
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Five billion for black farmers, nothing for other farmers?

16. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,349
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    You've got those terms confused. Equity is just a fancy word for justice or fairness.

17. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,349
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    It's the Right, not the Left, that believes in "Equality". That is a central Marxist critique of western liberalism: humanity is falsely seen in abstraction, not in concrete social relations, and use "equality" as a fig leaf for denying humanity in its concrete manifestations.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  18. Hazelelponi

Hazelelponi Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,436
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    Which answer do you want in the polls. Equity (same outcome for everyone) is the word of the day, and the direction our country is taking, but equality (equal under the law, equal to acheive to each man's fullest potential according to each man's effort and ability, not identical outcome - for the poor will always be with us, it's just a matter of which system the poor live under, tyranny or freedom) is right and just.

19. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,894
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Not exactly what I stated: Financial aid based on immutable traits is a problem of applied equity (not the nice, friendly textbook definition that was posted).

A discussion of equity vs. equality in general, college admissions being a specific use case to discuss.

20. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,894
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Is it fair or just for a system or policy to give to some and not others based on immutable traits?