Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
ynetnews.com
Modi Kreitman

Following warnings by extremist Islamic group al-Muhajiroun, in which the group said that the red cross in the England flag symbolizes the 'blood thirsty crusaders' and the occupation of Muslims, some of the largest companies in England have ordered their workers not to wave the flags. . .

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3258613,00.html

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...and that's for everybody in the U.K. to start flying the Union Jack.

The militant Islamists can't kill everyone -- and I think it would send a badly-needed signal to the Islamic militants that we, in the West, are getting fed up with being bullied.

Remember that Jewish family in Idaho who had a rock thrown through their window by some right-wing, xenophobic, antisemitic cretin? And how everybody in the town (Jewish or not) put a Star of David on their door in support of that family, knowing that the bigot couldn't throw stones into every single window in the city?

We can do that, too.

I think it's time a lot of countries in the West sent a strong message to the Islamic militants that we are NOT Islamic states; that we have no intention of becoming Islamic states; that we value religious and social pluralism and if the militant Islamists don't like that, they can darn well stay in their own countries.

I'll take it one step further: I think it's too bad that the Islamic militants don't like a caricature of Mohammed in Western newspapers; and if the Islamic militants don't like pictures or caricatures of Mohammed they are more than welcome to ban the posting of those kinds of images in Islamic countries -- but we are NOT Islamic countries and have no desire to become Islamic countries, and if we decide to post pictures of Mohammed upside down, spinning on his head while stark naked while balancing a stack of dishes on a pole sticking up from his feet -- that's our right.

Upvote 0

ApocryphaNow

Nov 9, 2005
State College, PA
✟978.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Ah, here we go again, ramping up for the blood-lust by playing the jingoism card.

The irony of Islamic militants is that they have to talk a big game because they are too wimpy to back it up; their trash-talk as pretty much messed up the relations the middle-east had with the west. Such a sad state of affairs.

Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
UberLutheran said:
I'll take it one step further: I think it's too bad that the Islamic militants don't like a caricature of Mohammed in Western newspapers; and if the Islamic militants don't like pictures or caricatures of Mohammed they are more than welcome to ban the posting of those kinds of images in Islamic countries -- but we are NOT Islamic countries and have no desire to become Islamic countries, and if we decide to post pictures of Mohammed upside down, spinning on his head while stark naked while balancing a stack of dishes on a pole sticking up from his feet -- that's our right.

I disagree with your last point- it wasn't just extremists who were offended by the cartoons, it was many Muslims in the UK. And rightly enough too- it was extremely ill-advised and disrespectful.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
TerabyTe said:
I like to be as multicultural as possible, but these extremist Muslims are just really annoying. Can't they for once realize that they do not own the world?

Nope, they never have and never will. I think that extremism severely warps the mind or something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ApocryphaNow

Nov 9, 2005
State College, PA
✟978.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
tqpix said:
Umm, we are talking about England's flag, not the U.K. flag--big difference.

Amercians care about no flag but their own! Also, books and learning are bad and teach evil thoughts.

To be honest, it's really kind of egocentric to call ourselves "Americans" when that could mean so many other nations on this land-mass. But, of course, we mean only one.

Upvote 0

CCGirl

Resident Commie
Sep 21, 2005
Canada
✟27,370.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
ApocryphaNow said:
Amercians care about no flag but their own! Also, books and learning are bad and teach evil thoughts.

This would be generally unknown in the USA.

To be honest, it's really kind of egocentric to call ourselves "Americans" when that could mean so many other nations on this land-mass. But, of course, we mean only one.

USAians are mostly the only ones that call themselves "americans", and anywhere else in the Americas, this is laughed at hysterically:D . The rest of us (in the western hemisphere)know we are all Americans.:)

Upvote 0

ApocryphaNow

Nov 9, 2005
State College, PA
✟978.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
CCGirl said:
USAians are mostly the only ones that call themselves "americans", and anywhere else in the Americas, this is laughed at hysterically:D . The rest of us (in the western hemisphere)know we are all Americans.:)

That's pretty much what I was getting at. If you ask me, the ignorance deserves a laugh.

Upvote 0

Pentecostal Boy

C.S. Lewis/Tolkien Nerd
Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
UberLutheran said:
...and that's for everybody in the U.K. to start flying the Union Jack.

The militant Islamists can't kill everyone -- and I think it would send a badly-needed signal to the Islamic militants that we, in the West, are getting fed up with being bullied.

Remember that Jewish family in Idaho who had a rock thrown through their window by some right-wing, xenophobic, antisemitic cretin? And how everybody in the town (Jewish or not) put a Star of David on their door in support of that family, knowing that the bigot couldn't throw stones into every single window in the city?

We can do that, too.

I think it's time a lot of countries in the West sent a strong message to the Islamic militants that we are NOT Islamic states; that we have no intention of becoming Islamic states; that we value religious and social pluralism and if the militant Islamists don't like that, they can darn well stay in their own countries.

AMEN!:clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Dec 29, 2004
Kentucky
✟1,343.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What exactly are citizens of the United States supposed to call themselves? Unitedians? Statesians? USAicans? 'Americans' makes the most sense... Other names are just as ambiguous, stupid sounding, or too cumbersome...

On topic...

I hope that the flying of the English flag(Red cross on white field correct?) becomes extremely popular ;)

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mister Emu said:
What exactly are citizens of the United States supposed to call themselves? Unitedians? Statesians? USAicans? 'Americans' makes the most sense... Other names are just as ambiguous, stupid sounding, or too cumbersome...

Thank you.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
LOL! I Googled USAians and Americans and the repy was, Did you mean: Asians Americans ?

Btw, what is the politcally correct term for blacks who are citizens of the US? African-USAians? Or US citizens of Asian descent, are they Asian-USAians? (That's hard to say!)

Upvote 0

Pentecostal Boy

C.S. Lewis/Tolkien Nerd
Mar 31, 2005
✟11,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
CCGirl said:
Using the term "american" only shows their own stupidity. Anyway, most people call them USAians. They really need to come up with their own name that doesn't offend most of the hemisphere!:thumbsup:

Not to be rude but I could really care a less who it offends. If they have a problem then deal. Liberals... eh... *takes aspirin*

Upvote 0

CCGirl

Resident Commie
Sep 21, 2005
Canada
✟27,370.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Pentecostal Boy said:
Not to be rude but I could really care a less who it offends. If they have a problem then deal. Liberals... eh... *takes aspirin*

:doh: And some people wonder why the USA is reviled the world over. The "we don't care what others think of our actions" attitude is why!:sick:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.