Not open for further replies.

el789

Feb 26, 2012
✟7,627.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
A little more info, from the beginning of our marriage we didn't get on, our entire relationship was based on this role of my husband Matt looking after me. About six weeks after the wedding I asked him to annul the marriage (I was using cocaine when we got married) I was finally off drugs completely and could see it was all a terrible mistake. He simply said that we had made a commitment before God and we had to honour that. Not long after I moved to the guest room and any positive feelings between us vanished. The entirety of our marriage I've felt this terrible guilt; if I hadn't married him he could be married with the happy family he desperately wants.

I've never really understood understand why Matt married me. I think that he liked the idea of saving me. A major part of why he stays with me is that his father is central member of our church, Matt's dad tells him that things will work themselves out through prayer. He also likes the idea of doing something not because you want to but because it is right.

Anyway I decided to speak with Matt today, basically we have decided that I am going to live somewhere else. He refuses to look into divorce and I know it doesn't seem like it but I really don't want to hurt him anymore.
Eddie, the guy who I have been having an affair with is no longer married. His wife divorced him when he admitted to cheating. She took his kids out of the country. I know that I should say that I'll never see him again but it's not true. He's the only person on earth who has loved me unconditionally, I can't leave him.

Thank you all for your advice. Even the things I don't want to hear I have read and taken on board.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Eddie, the guy who I have been having an affair with is no longer married. His wife divorced him when he admitted to cheating. She took his kids out of the country. I know that I should say that I'll never see him again but it's not true. He's the only person on earth who has loved me unconditionally, I can't leave him.

Enticing and encouraging someone to sin against God by committing adultery doesn't sound like the good kind of 'unconditional love.' The kind of love that forgives you and took you back when you deserved death for your sins sounds like God's kind of love.

Reactions: 1Prophetess
Upvote 0

I Art Laughing

Dec 20, 2011
Alaska
✟2,386.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
"Unconditional lust" can masquerade as "unconditional love" for a while. When the mask comes off it usually isn't pretty. The other thing to consider is that what you FEEL is unconditional love may not be love of any sort. Love is a selfless act (it doesn't seek it's own). What LinkH said is exactly right, how is cheating on his spouse to be with you and have you cheat on your spouse anything BUT SELFISH? He put you in an awful spot (as you did him) and it was completely unloving of you both.

If your relationship is built on selfishness (and this one is) it will not last. You were both in it for yourselves, when things get tough that main point will remain true and you will both go your separate ways. I'm trying to put my hand on the statistics, but as I recall they are not good.

Reactions: 1Prophetess
Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, your husband can't stop a divorce proceeding from taking place (except in a couple of states, as I recall). It isn't like "Once you're in a marriage - you're stuck there until the other party is willing to release you."

Trust me - you divorce the guy - he'll see it as abandonment and therefore Godly to accept the divorce and move on. He ain't gonna spend the rest of his life pining away after you. He's simply saying what he feels he needs to say right now out of the obligation he took. That will change if you leave.

As for the rest of it - ehhh - you just need to be honest with yourself as to what you're doing. You're not doing this for some altruistic motive - being overly concerned about how your husband is going to live the rest of his life. Sure - that might fit into it - and give you the appearance of a moral ground to come from. But - that's not why you want the divorce.

You want the divorce to free yourself of the marital bonds because the guy you really want is now free of his. I doubt you'd be thinking about divorce so seriously had the other wife not "had enough" and bailed on him. I think if that had been the case - you'd have just wallowed around for a while depressed because you were caught - then you two would have just resumed as before until this reality (one of your spouses leaving) came to be. That's what you want - that's what you both were going to get.

Personally, I think it's kinda crappy. But - I think that's probably the case. No, you shouldn't have gotten married when you did. That was a stupid move on your part. Yes - you should have pursued an annulment when you knew you weren't going to be a faithful wife regardless of what your husband thought. No, you shouldn't have kept doing this all if you chose to stay with him.

...and yes - leaving him is probably the biggest favor you'll ever do for anyone in your life. Let him sit back and wallow around for a while - worrying about having failed his vow. But - at least then you're granting him the decency of coming to the realization that he's been abandoned (he was abandoned truly a long time ago) - so that he can move on.

Then go about your own life - and to your own conscience be true. I wish you the best of luck...you ain't exactly starting out on the greatest of footing.

Upvote 0

1Prophetess

Amazing Grace, How Sweet You Are Lord Jesus!
Jan 17, 2010
California USA
✟17,661.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
...Anyway I decided to speak with Matt today, basically we have decided that I am going to live somewhere else. He refuses to look into divorce and I know it doesn't seem like it but I really don't want to hurt him anymore.

I'm glad you decided not to hurt Matt anymore. At least not hurting him shows you have some compassion.

I would not cut ties with him entirely unless you decide to marry Eddie. You may find that Matt will be a man you can return to, and you may find out, after a while with Eddie, that you hate him as much as you loved him before the break up of his marriage.

I agree with the comments about Eddie. My husband left his first wife, we'll call her C, for another women, CJ. He and C had three boys together--one was only a year old. He had seen CJ years before, and he had always wanted to be with her. She was attractive, very cute, had a great figure, and she was his dream girl. He had wanted her from afar for years, but he never dreamed he would ever get the chance to have her. He and C became friends with CJ and her husband.

He had a birthday, and his wife, C, was going to be out of town. She trusted him, and so she asked CJ to go out with him for his birthday. That night, he and CJ spent the night together. Apparently his wife didn't know that CJ and her husband were having difficulties.

It wasn't long before he was spending all his time with CJ, neglecting his children, and everything else. When C found out, she divorced him taking his boys with her. He ended up paying several thousand dollars a month in child support, but he thought he was happy with CJ.

His family was quite disgusted with him. His mother said, "Well, since you've left your children now, you might as well marry CJ." She was not at all happy. The rest of his family was not happy. But he thought he was, and he married her.

CJ, who always had issues, started using drugs fairly heavily. I don't know for sure what, but she smoked MJ all the time and did other drugs--cocaine maybe. Because of his job, he had to not smoke (though he had smoked with her when they first met). So he quit, and she continued.

He then started being irritated that he quit and she did not. So he started pressuring her to quit. She resented it, and she found another man. She left him, ran off with this man, spent her share of the money they had accumulated together with this other man, then came back and lived with him again. She was worse messed up by then, but he took her back. Then she found another man. She left with him.

I met him at this time. I imagine she would have come back again until she found another man to go with again.

She is now on her third or fourth husband. I guess she is at least somewhat happy now. He struggled with a lot of bitterness about it all. He says now that he would never have left his first wife if he could go back again. He regrets giving up his boys. It has been devastating for one of them, and the other two have had a lot of struggles because of it. I doubt he could have stayed with his first wife because his first wife turned out to be a shrew! I think she always wanted him back and hoped he would come back. She attacked me verbally almost immediately when she discovered we were married and made sure her boys and I could have no relationship. He finally was freed of her financially about three years ago though every time one of their sons does something that they have to attend (graduations), he has to go and be there alone because I'm not allowed to go (her demands).

It is not a good situation. There is still rank bitterness on his first wife's part. The children don't like me either. She made sure to drive a wedge between us (and I didn't avoid it). So he has great misery over it all. There is little peace for him. I'm glad I was not the one who caused him to leave his first wife. There is great hatred between them.

Like the others, I believe that Eddie does not love you. I think Matt does. And I think, in time, you will realize it. When you do, maybe you will realize that Matt is the one that really loves you, and maybe you will decide that he is the one you should be with. Maybe not. Maybe you really don't and won't ever love Matt.

I have seen several of these relationships where two people cause the break up of both of their marriages. They seldom last because, once unfaithful, the grass always looks greener on the other side. Once you open the door to unfaithfulness, it is easy to open it again. There is often anger at what the person has to go through to be with the new partner (divorce, child support, not seeing the kids etc.) There is often resentment from the second spouse (if there is a marriage) about the children, the money spent on them, the time spent with them, spoiling them, and may other issues. The children seldom like the second spouse because the second spouse hurt their parent. And finally (sometimes early on), one or the other is unfaithful. People tend to think, "hey, I'm single now. I want to see what it's like."

I do know that, what you sow is what you reap. You have sown unfaithfulness in your lives. I believe you will reap it.

I am sorry I have to say this. I would rather say, "Go and be blessed and happy." But that will be a very unlikely result of your choices.

Thank you all for your advice. Even the things I don't want to hear I have read and taken on board.

I wish you well.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, your husband can't stop a divorce proceeding from taking place (except in a couple of states, as I recall). It isn't like "Once you're in a marriage - you're stuck there until the other party is willing to release you."

Trust me - you divorce the guy - he'll see it as abandonment and therefore Godly to accept the divorce and move on. He ain't gonna spend the rest of his life pining away after you. He's simply saying what he feels he needs to say right now out of the obligation he took. That will change if you leave.

It depends. Some people take the 'fornication' exception to refer to feigned virginity before marriage only. Mark doesn't contain the exception clause.

She could be depriving her husband of companionship and sex for life, leaving him a choice of sinning against his conscience (and God) or remaining celibate.

It's a pretty rotten thing to put him through after all she has done to him.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Real quick..the fact that you were under the influence of serious mind altering drugs while you made a lifetime promise is also HIGHLY concerning..Its not so obvious if you had made the promise while completely staggering drunk ..but to me its the same idea...if you were using /addicted to cocaine when you signed away your freedom to marraige for life I hardly think thats a small minor detail..Your age..18...under the influence of a mind altering/addictive drug pushed into by your parents..then yor immediate request for an anullment?

I am sorry but there are VERY few peopel over the years (about 6) that I have ever thought so "o.k" with saying its better to divorce than yours..One was a guy that married a girl MUCH younger than him (she was 18 but he had been "dating her" since she had been 16 and he was liek 28...she started actign flaky right after they marreid and left to another city(close by) and was working at Hooters and wouldnt come home..then he found out she had hooked up with anther man..He had assets..(a house in his name ..part ownership in a resturant)..she was sayig she didnt want ot come back..I told him to divorce ...(almost immediately after hearing his story)..

Him and maybe 5 others that I have thought..this in my mind isnt even a question ..its the only "right' thing to do...to correct a HUGE mistake..something that should have never happened in the first place..

He REALLY loved that girl by the way..but she was very young and selfish and was totally jerking the poor guy around..anyway...

Dallas

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I know that I should say that I'll never see him again but it's not true. He's the only person on earth who has loved me unconditionally, I can't leave him.

So you have chosen to pursue your addiction to the divorced man rather than run to God for redemption. You are making a huge mistake as no one was advising you to end the marriage so that you can pursue the divorced man. I was hoping that the guilt you kept telling us about would lead you to pursue God and his healings.

The divorced man does not love you unconditionally. I know you do not believe this right now but you will in time. You and the divorced man are two weakened people that are looking to each other to do what only God can.

When one of you break this relationship in the future just remember that although mankind will give up on you God is far more loving and patient. Please do not forget that truth as it will be the only thing that will give you hope.

Upvote 0

I Art Laughing

Dec 20, 2011
Alaska
✟2,386.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Dallasapple? This is not addressed to the OP but I have a serious concern.

I think it is honorable and admirable that her husband want's to honor his vows despite his wife's unfaithfulness. Why are you questioning THAT motive here? I don't think it is helpful in any way to possible reconciliation/repentance.

Please consider:

What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

(Mar 10:9)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dallasapple? This is not addressed to the OP but I have a serious concern.

I think it is honorable and admirable that her husband want's to honor his vows despite his wife's unfaithfulness. Why are you questioning THAT motive here? I don't think it is helpful in any way to possible reconciliation/repentance.

Please consider:

What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
(Mar 10:9)

Her vow was made under duress and mind altering drugs..Assuming he knws this..and her imeediate thereafter wishes to get an annulment..his refusa then her adultery for the entire lenght of the marraige and current wishes CONTINUING from the original FARCE of a vow she made to NOT be marreid to him..I hardly call it "honorable" that he would want to ..let alone EXPECT her to continue on with it..and its by certain is NOT loving..Under MUVH less obvious reasons to let someone go..Its ONE view and a very accpted view by many is to set the perosn free..do not attempt to HOLD them like a captive..and thats under MUCH less dire circumstances as this..

I do NOT think its "honorable" whatsover for her husband to be "willing to keep his vows"..Hes also WILLING to try and HOLD her to a vow she should have never made..and IMHO if she was on COCAINE at the time wouldn't even have been full consent to begin with.

Its time to END the suffering..and pray that this woman is able to cope with the damge and lost years and suffering for all invloved and move on into better more PRODUCTIVE years..

Dallas

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Her vow was made under duress and mind altering drugs.

Under duress? You don't know that based on what you've read. You are writing posts that could encourage a woman to sin grieviously against the Lord. Based on what? Guesswork? Don't you see an ethical problem with this? We will all stand before God.

Consider your 'mind altering drugs' argument. What are the chances that she did not have a non-drugged moment where she was aware that she was getting married, but did nothing to stop it?

And I have read no evidence that she was drugged against her will. Under common law, people are responsible for their actions which they do while wilfully drunk. If you get drunk and assault someone, if you got drunk on purpose, you are responsible. If someone spiked your Kool-Aid, and you didn't know it, the legal system might not hold you responsible or might show leniency. I see no reason to think the use of cocaine in this case was not intentional.

If you go out and get high and sin against the Lord, you are still sinning against the Lord. I am not aware where the Old Testament releases people of vows before the Lord if they are under the influence when they make the vows.

Assuming he knws this..and her imeediate thereafter wishes to get an annulment..his refusa then her adultery for the entire lenght of the marraige and current wishes CONTINUING from the original FARCE of a vow she made to NOT be marreid to him..I hardly call it "honorable" that he would want to ..let alone EXPECT her to continue on with it..and its by certain is NOT loving..Under MUVH less obvious reasons to let someone go..Its ONE view and a very accpted view by many is to set the perosn free..do not attempt to HOLD them like a captive..and thats under MUCH less dire circumstances as this..

Marriage is not based upon a wive's vow to her husband. Vows are a cultural practice, probably derived from ancient Roman wedding practices, not something that God required for marriage in scripture.

She apparently did agree to take him as a husband. You could always figure out some excuse why you shouldn't honor a promise you made if you try hard enough.

The issue is that marriage is the ordinance of God. If she entered into it as a drug addict, she still entered into it.

Its time to END the suffering..and pray that this woman is able to cope with the damge and lost years and suffering for all invloved and move on into better more PRODUCTIVE years..
You shouldn't encourage people to sin. Jesus warned about that sort of thing.

Matthew 18:6
But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.
(NIV)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1Prophetess

Amazing Grace, How Sweet You Are Lord Jesus!
Jan 17, 2010
California USA
✟17,661.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Whether or not it works is not the issue. Iin Malachi 2:16, the Bible says, "I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel, "and I hate a man's covering himself with violence as well as with his garment," says the LORD Almighty. So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith."

Are you really going to encourage her to do something that God hates? This lady has just recently decided to seek Christian advice (which is a way of turning to the Lord). And now you say, "You're unhappy. You will feel better if you do something that God hates." That's your advice?

Regardless if a person thinks that her husband is wrong to keep her in a loveless marriage, she had been there for years! If she believed it was a mistake, she's had something more than 84 months to do something. What she has done is go to the arms of another man--not her husband.

Leviticus 20: "If a man commits adultery with his neighbor's wife, both the man and the woman who have committed adultery must be put to death.

I think her husband would have the right to ask God to put her to death. I would be very hesitant to leave a Christian man who didn't want a divorce.

It seems that the litmus test might be that she takes it to court and says to a judge, "I'd like an anulment. I realize now, seven years later, that I made a mistake. I was on drugs seven years ago, and I didn't make a right decision." Frankly, I don't believe she could get an anulment on these grounds. If she had done it seven months later, maybe. But seven years--that's quite a while to come to that conclusion.

Her husband, who is her legitimate husband, is telling her what the Bible says. He is enforcing his Biblical right to forgive her and take her back. If she wants to be in God's will, she has no reason to divorce him. The only reason that God says a person can divorce is unfaithfulness. He can divorce her. She cannot divorce him and be within the guidelines of God's will. God hates divorce!

Matthew 19:6 says "So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

This is a new life just as though she and her Christian husband had created a child. They become one. Do not advise her to separate from him! In the flesh, you have. But your advice is not from the Spirit of God. And you will bring judgment on yourself for taking this poor man's only wife from him.

Ezekiel 33 warns you to not encourage someone to do wrong:
8 When I say to the wicked, ‘O wicked man, you will surely die,’ and you do not speak out to dissuade him from his ways, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. 9 But if you do warn the wicked man to turn from his ways and he does not do so, he will die for his sin, but you will have saved yourself.

You put yourself in to accountability by advising a person to commit her way to sin.

Do you actually love this sister? The Bible says in Romans 12:19 Don't take revenge, dear friends. Instead, let God's anger take care of it. After all, Scripture says, "I alone have the right to take revenge. I will pay back, says the Lord."

You are advising her to go against her husband, her rightful husband by law and in the eyes of God. You're putting her in a position to be paid back by God!

Matthew 5 speaks to this in regard to you! 17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Your advice is wrong. Though it is likely meant to be kind to her, it is against the Bible.

I Corinthians 7: 10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband.

Because in Mark 10, Jesus said, 10 When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this. 11 He answered, “Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery.”

She will be committing adultery. In the Bible, adultery is punishable by death.

This woman is asking if she should go to her adulterous relationship. It is all wrong!

Galatians 6:7 says, Stop being deceived; God is not to be ridiculed. A person harvests whatever he plants:

She is going to harvest unfaithfulness in the boyfriend or in her future husband. That's the truth. Tell her the truth so she might be set free from the lies of the devil!

Your advice to leave because she's unhappy is wrong. And you encourage his wife to steal from this poor Christian man a marriage that he wants.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A little more info, from the beginning of our marriage we didn't get on, our entire relationship was based on this role of my husband Matt looking after me. About six weeks after the wedding I asked him to annul the marriage (I was using cocaine when we got married) I was finally off drugs completely and could see it was all a terrible mistake. He simply said that we had made a commitment before God and we had to honour that. Not long after I moved to the guest room and any positive feelings between us vanished. The entirety of our marriage I've felt this terrible guilt; if I hadn't married him he could be married with the happy family he desperately wants.

I've never really understood understand why Matt married me. I think that he liked the idea of saving me. A major part of why he stays with me is that his father is central member of our church, Matt's dad tells him that things will work themselves out through prayer. He also likes the idea of doing something not because you want to but because it is right.

Anyway I decided to speak with Matt today, basically we have decided that I am going to live somewhere else. He refuses to look into divorce and I know it doesn't seem like it but I really don't want to hurt him anymore.

This will not make you a better person, nor is it a decision that God would approve of.

Neither is this decision one which helps your husband or is good for him.

You can not be helped until you determine to stop putting yourself #1 in every decision you make.

You have left a man who had every right to leave you, who loved you enough to stay even in great pain in difficulty for a man that you seduced away from another woman and who will likely do the same to you as he has done to his last wife.

Quite frankly you have a strange concept of what love really is.

Just remember Eddie told his wife he loved her too. In fact he told her that while he was sleeping with you. And my guess is that he told you the same thing while he was also in fact sleeping with her.

For the record I'm curious if Eddie wanted his wife to forgive him after he told her that he was sleeping with you? Why didn't this guy go divorce her as soon as you started your relationship if really all he wanted was you? Why the secret?

I'll tell you what. I don't think he really loves you, I think he just enjoys sleeping with you. I think he's good at making you feel loved, but feelings are funny sometimes. . . they betray us, they lead us to make dumb decisions. See feelings help you ignore or forget that a key part of love is loyalty . . . and Eddie, he has none, and I think you will discover that sooner or later. And the sad thing is that when you discover that you will have already thrown away the most loyal person you've ever met like he was yesterday's trash.

Eddie never loved you unconditionally, for 6 and a half years he slept with you and hid it from his wife. If he loved you unconditionally he would have divorced her a long time ago. In fact the only person who actually loved you unconditionally is the person you are now leaving.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This will not make you a better person, nor is it a decision that God would approve of.

Neither is this decision one which helps your husband or is good for him.

You can not be helped until you determine to stop putting yourself #1 in every decision you make.

You have left a man who had every right to leave you, who loved you enough to stay even in great pain in difficulty for a man that you seduced away from another woman and who will likely do the same to you as he has done to his last wife.

Quite frankly you have a strange concept of what love really is.

Just remember Eddie told his wife he loved her too. In fact he told her that while he was sleeping with you. And my guess is that he told you the same thing while he was also in fact sleeping with her.

For the record I'm curious if Eddie wanted his wife to forgive him after he told her that he was sleeping with you? Why didn't this guy go divorce her as soon as you started your relationship if really all he wanted was you? Why the secret?

I'll tell you what. I don't think he really loves you, I think he just enjoys sleeping with you. I think he's good at making you feel loved, but feelings are funny sometimes. . . they betray us, they lead us to make dumb decisions. See feelings help you ignore or forget that a key part of love is loyalty . . . and Eddie, he has none, and I think you will discover that sooner or later. And the sad thing is that when you discover that you will have already thrown away the most loyal person you've ever met like he was yesterday's trash.

Eddie never loved you unconditionally, for 6 and a half years he slept with you and hid it from his wife. If he loved you unconditionally he would have divorced her a long time ago. In fact the only person who actually loved you unconditionally is the person you are now leaving.

Good points. These situations tend to work out this way. "The grass is greener" syndrome. Only to find the grass isn't greener.

I hope this poster will take some time off from relationships and get some help, both professional counseling and spiritual counseling.

Upvote 0

peckaboo

Jul 11, 2011
England
✟15,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I've skimmed through parts of this thread, so I apologise if this has already been said, but do you really not see the unconditional love that your husband is giving you? Love isn't a feeling; it's a decision. We're not animals, mindlessly driven by our instincts and urges and feelings - we're humans whom God has given the ability to make our own choices. You get to choose whether or not you're going to love your husband and act in a loving way towards him. I hate to be blunt, but if you don't love your husband, at least part of the responsibility for that lies with the fact that you don't choose to love him; you choose to love Eddie. It's entirely within your power to have a happy marriage to someone who knows you inside and out and loves you nevertheless, and who believes it's important to do the right thing. If you go after Eddie, what's to stop him cheating on you like he cheated on his wife?

Edit: Ah - I see that BigDaddy and Luther have already made these points, and far more eloquently than I. But I'm going to leave this post up in any case in the hope that, the more people you hear this from, the more chance that it'll take root in your heart.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've skimmed through parts of this thread, so I apologise if this has already been said, but do you really not see the unconditional love that your husband is giving you? Love isn't a feeling; it's a decision. We're not animals, mindlessly driven by our instincts and urges and feelings - we're humans whom God has given the ability to make our own choices. You get to choose whether or not you're going to love your husband and act in a loving way towards him. I hate to be blunt, but if you don't love your husband, at least part of the responsibility for that lies with the fact that you don't choose to love him; you choose to love Eddie. It's entirely within your power to have a happy marriage to someone who knows you inside and out and loves you nevertheless, and who believes it's important to do the right thing. If you go after Eddie, what's to stop him cheating on you like he cheated on his wife?

I just wanted to say I appreciate you and the other women on the thread who have taken some effort to encourage this woman to honor the Lord with her life.

I am not disagreeing with you here, exactly. I would wonder if she really 'loves' Eddie. You can define love a lot of ways. She probably loves him in some carnal sense, but if she really loved him with the kind of love God wants us to have, would she have led him to sin against the Lord? If you love someone, don't you want them to please the Lord? Don't you want to help them, really, from an eternal perspective, not just make them happy for a short time?

I Corinthians 13 shows us that love does not delight in iniquity, but rejoices with the truth.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You shouldn't encourage people to sin. Jesus warned about that sort of thing.

I dont believe that divorce is always a sin...So Im not encouraging her to sin..I beleive that the things surroundign it ..that cause a divorce are many times sinful.

So please do not accuse me of something I am NOT doing..In this case Im not "encouraging" anyone to SIN.

Dallas

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I dont believe that divorce is always a sin...So Im not encouraging her to sin..I beleive that the things surroundign it ..that cause a divorce are many times sinful.

So please do not accuse me of something I am NOT doing..In this case Im not "encouraging" anyone to SIN.

Dallas

I would beg to differ as would many of us. However since apparently its against the rules to debate the ethics of divorce and if it's actually a sin, just like its against the rules to debate if anything is actually a sin or if sin really exists, I will leave it at that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.