Sep 3, 2011
✟323,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any idea as to the exact extent God requires to truly remain with and in Him? Is this spelled out somewhere for us? It seems to me that the RCC is amazingly vague about this critical issue such that untold millions of Catholics in Europe may, or may not be, headed for hell simply because they don't bother themselves to attend mass weekly.
Well, just having some basic guidelines is already a step ahead of those theologies that don't seem to know what to do with sin, or how it may or may not compromise our status as children of God. With the doctrine of Sola Fide, as I recently mentioned on these forums, the idea was introduced that one can be righteous in the eyes of God, fit for heaven, without being righteous in truth or in fact but merely by being declared righteous. This has never been the teaching of the Christian church, where righteousness is known to be given to man at justification, and he can then continue to walk in and grow in that justice or righteousness or he can also turn back away from it, returning to the flesh-and to death. From the catechism:

1856 Mortal sin, by attacking the vital principle within us - that is, charity [love] - necessitates a new initiative of God's mercy and a conversion of heart which is normally accomplished within the setting of the sacrament of reconciliation:
When the will sets itself upon something that is of its nature incompatible with the charity [love] that orients man toward his ultimate end, then the sin is mortal by its very object . . . whether it contradicts the love of God, such as blasphemy or perjury, or the love of neighbor, such as homicide or adultery. . . . But when the sinner's will is set upon something that of its nature involves a disorder, but is not opposed to the love of God and neighbor, such as thoughtless chatter or immoderate laughter and the like, such sins are venial.

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."

As for missing mass, I think Europe leads the pack in fleeing religion all together. And that's part of the problem; its just so easy to stray. The RCC considers attending mass part of the Sabbath obligation, now observed on the Lord's Day, of rest and worship. I feel compelled to attend, not necessarily because I enjoy it- or because I'm fearful of my eternal destiny- but because I don't feel truly grounded in my faith or in God anymore if I can't spare that 1 or so hour per week. Anyway, it's good to be aware of such an obligation, much as the flesh prefers to avoid it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, just having some basic guidelines is already a step ahead of those theologies that don't seem to know what to do with sin, or how it may or may not compromise our status as children of God. With the doctrine of Sola Fide, as I recently mentioned on these forums, the idea was introduced that one can be righteous in the eyes of God, fit for heaven, without being righteous in truth or in fact but merely by being declared righteous. This has never been the teaching of the Christian church, where righteousness is known to be given to man at justification, and he can then continue to walk in and grow in that justice or righteousness or he can also turn back away from it, returning to the flesh-and to death. From the catechism:

1856 Mortal sin, by attacking the vital principle within us - that is, charity [love] - necessitates a new initiative of God's mercy and a conversion of heart which is normally accomplished within the setting of the sacrament of reconciliation:
When the will sets itself upon something that is of its nature incompatible with the charity [love] that orients man toward his ultimate end, then the sin is mortal by its very object . . . whether it contradicts the love of God, such as blasphemy or perjury, or the love of neighbor, such as homicide or adultery. . . . But when the sinner's will is set upon something that of its nature involves a disorder, but is not opposed to the love of God and neighbor, such as thoughtless chatter or immoderate laughter and the like, such sins are venial.

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."

As for missing mass, I think Europe leads the pack in fleeing religion all together. And that's part of the problem; its just so easy to stray. The RCC considers attending mass part of the Sabbath obligation, now observed on the Lord's Day, of rest and worship. I feel compelled to attend, not necessarily because I enjoy it- or because I'm fearful of my eternal destiny- but because I don't feel truly grounded in my faith or in God anymore if I can't spare that 1 or so hour per week. Anyway, it's good to be aware of such an obligation, much as the flesh prefers to avoid it.
There is great wisdom in it. If a person can't give an hour of time to Our Lord each week it seems likely that person will fall into grave sin.

Upvote 0

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Before one can embrace New Covenant theology, they will have to renounce their Old Covenant theology of works, laws and religion. Under the New Covenant Christians are justified by faith alone, works, laws and religions have been abolished and count for nothing, Ephesians 2:15 also Colossians 2:14. This is one reason why Paul said, "The just shall live by faith" Romans 1:17. Living by faith does not include laws, works and religion.

Under the New Covenant Christians will be focused on Jesus Christ and his Gospel, because Jesus is the end and the fulfillment of the Old Covenant. Paul said, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. Without the law there cannot be an Old Covenant. All religions are based upon law. Where there is no law, there is no sin, Romans 4:15.

Under the New Covenant Jesus has ALREADY defeated sin, death and the devil and now sits in heaven as "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16.

Under the New Covenant, Jesus has ALREADY reconciled us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19.

Under the New Covenant, Christians are new creations in Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:17.

Under the New Covenant, Christians are not subject to laws or rules, because there is no condemnation for those that are "In Christ" Romans 8:1. There is no condemnation because there are no laws.

Under the New Covenant, God sees his people as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. No laws, rules or religion needed.

Under the New Covenant, salvation is by grace (God's goodness) through faith, Ephesians 2:8. Plus nothing.

Many are living under the New Covenant, but they want to bring Old Covenant things with them, which is a perversion of New Covenant theology.
Yes, they want to pour new wine into those old wine skins, don't they? To this day, there are plenty of "Judaisers" in the church -- the tares growing up with the wheat.

Upvote 0

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The New Covenant was spoken to and ratified by the 12 Disciples who represent the family of Jacob and the House of Israel. But it won't be complete until Judah is redeemed by the Gospel of the Kingdom of Heaven already given to the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel. When this Gospel of the Kingdom is preached in all the world (Matthew 24:14) and the end comes in the form of the abomination of Daniel, Judah will awake... and run for the hills. I believe this happens when the two witnesses are killed and resurrected, and the earthquake kills 7000 enemies in Jerusalem... and the remnant finally gives glory to God.
I thought Christ instituted the NC at the Last Supper and he ratified in his precious blood on the Cross? Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins (Heb 9:22). It was Christ who has appeared once and for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself (Heb 926b).

• Agree
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, they want to pour new wine into those old wine skins, don't they? To this day, there are plenty of "Judaisers" in the church -- the tares growing up with the wheat.
Christ spent his ministry teaching his followers to obey God's law by word and by example and the problem that Paul had with the Judaisers was not that they were teaching Gentiles how to follow Christ, nor should those who teach how to follow Christ be connected with old wine skins or with tares.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I thought Christ instituted the NC at the Last Supper and he ratified in his precious blood on the Cross? Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins (Heb 9:22). It was Christ who has appeared once and for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself (Heb 926b).
Yes, in fact Jesus, His very Body and Blood, is our New Covenant, or New Testament. It wasn't until the Catholic Church was in the process of choosing new books for the Bible that people began to refer to those books as "books of the New Testament."

Upvote 0

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Christ spent his ministry teaching his followers to obey God's law by word and by example and the problem that Paul had with the Judaisers was not that they were teaching Gentiles how to follow Christ, nor should those who teach how to follow Christ be connected with old wine skins or with tares.
Not AFTER the Cross, he didn't! He was "born under the Law", and so he kept it AND taught others to keep it. But after the Cross it was a different story. Frankly, I can't understand what you wrote at all.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Lord Himself and the Apostles preserved the keeping of the commandments as to how the just are to live by faith. The laws of the flesh that establish, administered, & enforced the Law were done away with but our spiritual commitment to the commandments remains as to how to live by faith.

A major aspect of this can be found regarding confession of sin. In the Law of Moses sacrifice of animals were the atonement for intentional and unintentional sin. A good study of this can be done by reading Leviticus 4, 5, 6, & 7 and then compare the New Testament. Confession of sin is purely verbal beginning with that of knowing Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior ( Romans 10:9-13) and of sins in dealing with daily living ( the Lord’s Prayer per Matthew 6:9-13) ( 1 John 1:5-10). King David’s confession in Psalms 51 of his sins towards Uriah & Bathsheba ( 2 Samuel 11:1-27, 2 Samuel 12:1-9) is an applicable lesson still.

Another major aspect can be found with understanding the consistency of the moral law but the contrast that forgiveness of sinners rather than punishment of sinners is what the Lord preached. This was realized to a fair extent in the old covenant ( see Amos 5:13-15, book of Jonah etc.). Still it is good to carefully read and compare the likes of Leviticus 18, 19, 20 to the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5,6, 7. The Lord affirmed what Moses preached about as what was evil in Matthew 15:1-20. St. Paul gives us a synopsis in Romans 1:16-32 & notice the commandments & the just living by faith ( Romans 1:17, Habakkuk 2:1-4) are intertwined.

Our basic way of living this out positively is to be charitable & pray ( as best we can)for ourselves and our neighbor. ( see Matthew 6:1-13, 1 Timothy 2:1-6 etc.). This is the commission the Lord Himself gave to St. Paul in Acts 26:13-20 as he testified to King Agrippa ( note it is said for us to do works worthy of repentance in verse 20). St. Paul says this as our commitment within salvation by grace in Ephesians 2:8-10.

The Lord fulfilled the law ( Matthew 5:17) & sums up the law & prophets in the golden rule ( Matthew 7:12). The Lord stated that the law & prophets stem from the highest commandments ( Matthew 22:36-40). St. Paul tells us that we are to keep the basic commandments in Romans 13:8-10 & that love fulfills the law. I believe reading the council of the Apostles with Paul in Acts of the Apostles 15:1-29 is helpful to understand the formation of the Apostolic preaching.

This is, I believe, the preaching of the early Church beginning with a basic confession of faith ( for ex. The Apostles Creed:

Apostles' Creed

Followed with basic, sound preaching as in the ancient Didache:

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know, I am finding that out, and it really surprises me.

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status