Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Before one can embrace New Covenant theology, they will have to renounce their Old Covenant theology of works, laws and religion. Under the New Covenant Christians are justified by faith alone, works, laws and religions have been abolished and count for nothing, Ephesians 2:15 also Colossians 2:14. This is one reason why Paul said, "The just shall live by faith" Romans 1:17. Living by faith does not include laws, works and religion.

Under the New Covenant Christians will be focused on Jesus Christ and his Gospel, because Jesus is the end and the fulfillment of the Old Covenant. Paul said, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. Without the law there cannot be an Old Covenant. All religions are based upon law. Where there is no law, there is no sin, Romans 4:15.

Under the New Covenant Jesus has ALREADY defeated sin, death and the devil and now sits in heaven as "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16.

Under the New Covenant, Jesus has ALREADY reconciled us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19.

Under the New Covenant, Christians are new creations in Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:17.

Under the New Covenant, Christians are not subject to laws or rules, because there is no condemnation for those that are "In Christ" Romans 8:1. There is no condemnation because there are no laws.

Under the New Covenant, God sees his people as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. No laws, rules or religion needed.

Under the New Covenant, salvation is by grace (God's goodness) through faith, Ephesians 2:8. Plus nothing.

Many are living under the New Covenant, but they want to bring Old Covenant things with them, which is a perversion of New Covenant theology.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Before one can embrace New Covenant theology, they will have to renounce their Old Covenant theology of works, laws and religion. Under the New Covenant Christians are justified by faith alone, works, laws and religions have been abolished and count for nothing, Ephesians 2:15 also Colossians 2:14. This is one reason why Paul said, "The just shall live by faith" Romans 1:17. Living by faith does not include laws, works and religion.

Under the New Covenant Christians will be focused on Jesus Christ and his Gospel, because Jesus is the end and the fulfillment of the Old Covenant. Paul said, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4. Without the law there cannot be an Old Covenant. All religions are based upon law. Where there is no law, there is no sin, Romans 4:15.

Under the New Covenant Jesus has ALREADY defeated sin, death and the devil and now sits in heaven as "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16.

Under the New Covenant, Jesus has ALREADY reconciled us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19.

Under the New Covenant, Christians are new creations in Jesus Christ, 2 Corinthians 5:17.

Under the New Covenant, Christians are not subject to laws or rules, because there is no condemnation for those that are "In Christ" Romans 8:1. There is no condemnation because there are no laws.

Under the New Covenant, God sees his people as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. No laws, rules or religion needed.

Under the New Covenant, salvation is by grace (God's goodness) through faith, Ephesians 2:8. Plus nothing.

Many are living under the New Covenant, but they want to bring Old Covenant things with them, which is a perversion of New Covenant theology.

In or around 112 AD, Pliny, the Roman Governor of Bithynia, wrote to Emperor Trajan regarding his findings of Christians in his territory. He wrote in part:

They asserted, however, that the sum and substance of their fault or error had been that they were accustomed to meet on a fixed day before dawn and sing responsively a hymn to Christ as to a god, and to bind themselves by oath, not to some crime, but not to commit fraud, theft, or adultery, not falsify their trust, nor to refuse to return a trust when called upon to do so. When this was over, it was their custom to depart and to assemble again to partake of food--but ordinary and innocent food.

If we dissect this, we find that these early Christians would meet "on a fixed day", i.e., the Lord's Day (Sunday), "sing responsively a hymn to Christ", meaning the Liturgy, promise not to commit sin, then "partake of food", meaning the Eucharist. In light of the teachings of the new testament:

Meet on a fixed day:

Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together...

The Liturgy:

2Th 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

Promise not to commit sin:

1Jo 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin...

The Eucharist:

Jhn 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

1Co 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

All of those things are still practiced by the Orthodox Churches around the world. Now, according to you, none of these things are necessary. So tell us where and when everyone went wrong.

Upvote 0

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
The departure from the faith probably began with the death of Paul.

The Catholic church has had a great deal of influence on Christianity. If anyone had something to boast about it would be Paul. Paul said that he counted all of his good works as dung that he might win Christ, Philippians 3:8.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The Catholic church has had a great deal of influence on Christianity. If anyone had something to boast about it would be Paul. Paul said that he counted all of his good works as dung that he might win Christ, Philippians 3:8.

If Christianity died out in the first century why bring it back now?

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As a means of salvation the gospel is clear and even the Old Testament saints were accounted like Abraham for believing God and they were redeemed by the blood of the lamb when Jesus said it is finished he paid for all the sins of the just by faith from Adam forward and emptied the place of Abraham bosom. So all fo this is by means of the new covenant which Jesus announced was being made in His blood. So here I can walk lock step with you. We can debate the other aspects that you feel are no longer valid and many of those have to do with prophetic destiny and national Israel vs national Israel and on these fronts I would depart. These ideas do not have to be contradictory as you assume but that is your thread and respectfully leave it here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RobertPate

Dec 7, 2007
✟44,551.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Who? Where were they all along? How did you meet them?
Jesus said, "Few there be that find it" Matthew 7:14. He was speaking of the strait gate, which is himself. What most have found is religion. Religion is appealing, because it is about us, but it is not the way that leads to eternal life. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one can come to the Father, but by me" John 14:6. Salvation is by faith alone, because it is by Christ alone.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Before one can embrace New Covenant theology, they will have to renounce their Old Covenant theology of works, laws and religion. Under the New Covenant

New Covenant With

Matthew 26:26-28 And as they were eating, Ιησους took bread and blessed it, and brake it and gave it to the Disciples, and said, Take, eat, this is My body.[27] And He took the cup and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it:[28] for this is My blood of the New Covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Jeremiah 31:1-31 At that time, saith the Lord, I will be a God to the family of Israel, and they shall be to Me a people. ...[31] Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a New Covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Juda:LXX

Jeremiah 32:37-39 Behold, I will gather them out of every land where I have scattered them in My anger and My wrath and great fury, and I will bring them back into this place and will cause them to dwell safely:[38] and they shall be to Me a people, and I will be to them a god.[39] And I will give them another way, and another heart, to fear Me continually, and that for good to them and their children after them.LXX

Matthew 5:27-30 ...But I say unto you...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private

2 Timothy 1:15 ...all they which are in Asia be turned away from me. The Galatians were turning away from Paul long before that. And so were some of the 2 Corinthians, because he complained of another gospel and a christ that he didn't teach.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
There is the "other option" instead of just a focus on making new humans to raise as Christians - we could focus on the Matt 28:17-19 idea of gospel evangelism to the lost.

Matthew 28:16-20 Then the Eleven Disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Ιησους had appointed them. ...[20] teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have Commanded you...

So then, what did Ιησους Command His Disciples?

Matthew 5:19--Matthew 7:24-25 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least Commandments and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven, but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven. (Commandments for the Kingdom of Heaven)

Matthew 10:5-42 These Twelve Ιησους sent forth and Commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:[6] But go rather to the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel.[7] And as ye go preach, saying, The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.

• Agree
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Jesus said, "Few there be that find it" Matthew 7:14. He was speaking of the strait gate, which is himself.

The real definition

Matthew 7:13 ...For wide is the gate and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat.
=
Matthew 7:26-27 And every one that heareth these sayings of Mine and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man which built his house upon the sand:[27] and the rain descended and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat upon that house: and it fell, and great was the fall of it.

Matthew 7:14 Because strait is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
=
Matthew 7:24-27 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of Mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man which built his house upon the rock:[25] and the rain descended and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat upon that house: and it fell not, for it was founded upon the rock.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
[...]
There is no condemnation because there are no laws.

Sin, Death and the Devil

Revelation 18:4 And I heard another voice from Heaven, saying, Come out of her, My people, that ye be not partakers of her sins and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Revelation 2:22-23 Behold, I will cast her into a bed and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.[23] And I will kill her children with Death, and all the churches shall know that I am He which searcheth the reins and hearts, and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Revelation 12:12-17 [12] Therefore rejoice, ye Heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the Earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time. ...[17]And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed which keep the Commandments of God and have the testimony of Ιησους Christ. (3rd of 3 woes)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Under the New Covenant Christians will be focused on Jesus Christ and his Gospel, because Jesus is the end and the fulfillment of the Old Covenant.

Since I did not see an actual quote of the New Covenant in your opening post - let's start there

Jer 31:

31 “Behold, days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers on the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the Lord. 33 “For this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the Lord: “I will put My law within them and write it on their heart; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 They will not teach again, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the Lord, “for I will forgive their wrongdoing, and their sin I will no longer remember.”

This language is unchanged -- verbatim - in Heb 8.

It is a little bit surprising that on a thread title that specifically on the subject of the "New Covenant" we never see it quoted until a participant joins the thread in post #12.

If the New Covenant is what is of interest we should at least know what the Bible says it is -- using the Bible definition of it.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

There is no condemnation because there are no laws.

Not so .... there are indeed laws .... else how does God judge rightly.

There ARE laws ... those in Christ are not condemned by them.

ALL covenants are fulfilled in Christ.

The law leads us to Christ ... and after receiving Him ... the Holy Spirit works in the believer helping them to overcome sin (transgression of the law).

The law is alive and well (Jesus)

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Not so .... there are indeed laws .... else how does God judge rightly.

There ARE laws ... those in Christ are not condemned by them.

ALL covenants are fulfilled in Christ.

The New Covenant was spoken to and ratified by the 12 Disciples who represent the family of Jacob and the House of Israel. But it won't be complete until Judah is redeemed by the Gospel of the Kingdom of Heaven already given to the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel. When this Gospel of the Kingdom is preached in all the world (Matthew 24:14) and the end comes in the form of the abomination of Daniel, Judah will awake... and run for the hills. I believe this happens when the two witnesses are killed and resurrected, and the earthquake kills 7000 enemies in Jerusalem... and the remnant finally gives glory to God.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
However, in context, "live" there (as in Galatians 3:11) means justified--declared righteous by God's sentence of acquittal of guilt.
"Live" does not mean the manner of or practices in living one's life.

And justification (declared righteousness) has always been by faith (Habakkuk 2:4; Genesis 15:6), never by law keeping.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.