In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I understand that you claim God is loving. However, as I have pointed out numerous times, the problem you refuse to recognize is that your description of an indifferent passionless Deity does not al all fill the bill for being loving. Such a Deity is without any analogue to the responsiveness, empathy, and deriving of value from the other that are essential dimensions of human love. Hence, God can be said to be loving only by contradicting the meaning of these terms as they apply to our experience. Therefore, such claims for a truly loving God appear quite hollow and lack authenticity. It appears you have taken up and tried to baptize Aristotle's Unmoved Mover, which is essentially what the early church fathers did. That won't work because the Unmoved Mover is not thought to be a loving God. The UM doesn't even pay any attention to what's happening on earth, just to his own beauty.
Also, modern physics accepts that time and space are one. There is no timeless space or spaceless time. Time and space are not separate containers sitting there, waiting to be fulfilled. There is time in the teh sense of teh old receptacle theory of Newton. What you may have hit on are some physics arguing there is no time, s time is an experience, and passive,inert, dead matter is incapable of experiencing anything. However, my response is to challenge this concept of matter. I believe mind and matter are one. Even atoms have experiences.

You are restating your theory of why God is not loving once more. I do not agree. yes, perhaps I am baptising the Aristotlean conceptions as the Scholastics attempted as well, but to me I feel it is valid as I tried to explain above.

I disagree that matter can experience etc. but this is because I disagree with Panentheism, so we reach an impasse once more. The leap to ascribe experience to matter is to vast for me to make, requiring an experiencing entity etc.

Mr Hogshead, I enjoyed our discussion but I feel we have reached cul-de-sac after cul-de-sac because of our radically different beliefs, so this discussion is not really bearing much fruit anymore. I once again thank you for your time.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It's up to you, Quid. I'm prepared to keep right on going. However, I do not wish to be a pest. As I understand it, you wish us to stop. OK, I can respect that, too.

Mr Hogshead, it is not about wanting to quit. The point is that we both hold certain beliefs which the other disagrees with and our criticisms of those beliefs are held to be invalid by the other other party for various reasons.
For instance, you hold a cold deity is inferred by classical theism on human characterisation, the latter part of the sentence I hold to be invalid based on unknowability of God, which you then reject and so on and so on.

We are hitting a brick wall of core beliefs on both sides, an unstoppable force of logic hitting an immovable mass of reason, if I may call it thus. Or alternately you could just call me puerile or uneducated for what I think, if you would prefer that, it really doesn't matter.

I don't see how we shall ever get around certain of our mutually exclusive beliefs and restating what we know the other considers invalid does not help anyone.
I feel I was enriched by our exchange, for which I thank you, but I believe the discussion has run its course. Its time to douse the fire, pick up my car keys and head home.

Upvote 0

lunarcross

Mar 1, 2015
✟7,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Another "Christian" Protestant who doesn't follow their religion and feels confined by the "oppressiveness" of Christianity. It seems like re-inventing Christian laws and discarding ones you don't agree with is common amongst the "Christians" of today.

Disgusting.
It's a shame how weak and flabby our religion has become.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Then why would Orthodox Christianity depict Mary as the Queen of Heaven with a crown of stars and the moon under her feet?

Isis, Ashtarte, and Semiramis were also depicted as such.
Who can control what people create as art. Famous artists have always done their own understanding of Biblical themes. What does that mean, though?

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Please Help.
Egyptian Mythology tells a lot of the most important stories of the Bible in incredible accuracy, but PREDATES the Bible by very many years.
If this is true than that makes the Bible a copy and the Christian religion completely crumbles..

It isn't true. It is the sort of nonsense which comes from atheists who have never in their lives read any of the myths they so confidently tell us parallel Christianity. I have read those myths, and, unlike them, I know what I am talking about.

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Please Help.
Egyptian Mythology tells a lot of the most important stories of the Bible in incredible accuracy, but PREDATES the Bible by very many years.
If this is true than that makes the Bible a copy and the Christian religion completely crumbles..
I need answers, how can we combat this?

Lol.

Can you give examples of this? Two or three and the specific Biblical situations? Maybe some historical record that is trusted and not here say. Please keep it Egyptian as that is your case in the OP

Let me also point out to you that Moses and the Israelite's, validated as happened and documented by the Egyptians outside of the Bible as fact!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I understand that you claim God is loving. However, as I have pointed out numerous times, the problem you refuse to recognize is that your description of an indifferent passionless Deity does not al all fill the bill for being loving. Such a Deity is without any analogue to the responsiveness, empathy, and deriving of value from the other that are essential dimensions of human love. Hence, God can be said to be loving only by contradicting the meaning of these terms as they apply to our experience. Therefore, such claims for a truly loving God appear quite hollow and lack authenticity. It appears you have taken up and tried to baptize Aristotle's Unmoved Mover, which is essentially what the early church fathers did. That won't work because the Unmoved Mover is not thought to be a loving God. The UM doesn't even pay any attention to what's happening on earth, just to his own beauty.
Also, modern physics accepts that time and space are one. There is no timeless space or spaceless time. Time and space are not separate containers sitting there, waiting to be fulfilled. There is time in the teh sense of teh old receptacle theory of Newton. What you may have hit on are some physics arguing there is no time, s time is an experience, and passive,inert, dead matter is incapable of experiencing anything. However, my response is to challenge this concept of matter. I believe mind and matter are one. Even atoms have experiences.

Can you be specific. You are taking a lot for granted with no specific scenarios, but general stuff.

Is your point that you have no point?

You say our God is unloving. Ok. Specific examples. What is your basis for this and please give facts, not opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Please Help.

There are some general parallels between Egyptian mythology and the Pentateuch but nothing of any real consequence. The parallels can be interesting and profitable when they highlight the polemical nature of sections of the Pentateuch, such as the creation account.

That there are similarities and parallels between the Bible and pagan works from the surrounding cultures is neither surprising nor a problem for the Bible.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Please Help.
So you believe that everyday people had access to Egyptian writings and that Hebrews did and knew how to interpret Egyptian writing?

How quick you are to call the BIble a copy. Even if some of what you said might be true, there is no way that the Bible could have been written by copying the Egyptians. The Egyptians believed that Pharoah's became gods and had all sorts of very strange beliefs. So, so different from anything in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

No it doesn't actually. Several people say this, but when you look at the actual Egyptian myths, the parallels do not exist.

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No it doesn't actually. Several people say this, but when you look at the actual Egyptian myths, the parallels do not exist.

There actually is a parallel. What is unfortunate is that people allow themselves to get stirred up before objectively studying the evidence. The concept of the 'Annunciation' existed approx. 1500yrs before Christianity. However, there could not have existed Christianity without the person of Jesus and all of His miracles. The greatest being His resurrection. It appears that the Egyptian concept was realized in Him.

http://www.stellarhousepublishing.com/luxor.html

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There actually is a parallel. What is unfortunate is that people allow themselves to get stirred up before objectively studying the evidence. The concept of the 'Annunciation' existed approx. 1500yrs before Christianity. However, there could not have existed Christianity without the person of Jesus and all of His miracles. The greatest being His resurrection. It appears that the Egyptian concept was realized in Him.

http://www.stellarhousepublishing.com/luxor.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Trying to "combat this" results in weird situation , since it is not true.
The simplest way to know in any case,
is to read the Bible through and through with a true love for the truth, always praying and seeking Yhwh for His Wisdom and Experiential Knowledge in Jesus (and revelation from Yhwh for the truth, which is required in any case also).
Just like the treasury dept example,
of how they train how to identify counterfeit currency.
For weeks all they do is sit in a room counting money.
After a few weeks,
they slip in a counterfeit bill.
By then, it is "easy" without effort to recognize. (for most old counterfeits; don't know about the 'new' ones).
Anyway, become so familiar with the TRUTH, by grace and revelation from the Father,
that that which is false is blatantly obvious.
You'll find no need to study what is false - it will stick out like a swollen sore thumb.

As it is written "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free".

And even when taken before judges, take no thought to what you will speak or say -
the Father Himself will give you the words to speak as you open your mouth, trusting Him;
the words will not be yours, but His.

(nothing except prohibition by Yhwh about studying what is false)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Then why would O... C... depict Mary as the Queen of Heaven with a crown of stars and the moon under her feet?
Isis, Ashtarte, and Semiramis were depicted as such.
You answered your own question.
It is not from Scripture, nor at all in God's Plan, Purpose, or Word.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Please Help.
You have believed what the enemy wants you to believe. Just because records were made in Egypt or Babylon or Assyria before the Bible was written doesn't mean that it came before the other.

Think about it. Would it be better to write down the truth and then have others write down their version, or wait until they put it down and then write a record stating the truth of what happened?

Upvote 0