Midwest
✟157,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’m in a discussion on fb with someone who was bashing the Bible though not Catholicism. He doesn’t know I’m Catholic. I said the Bible is a wise and profound book. He replied something like this: “What part? Rape? Incest? Genocide?“ and he said that the Bible “just regurgitates beliefs and tenants from other religions.” How do I respond to that?
And is the Bible stories copied from other religions?

Last edited:

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here are some sources to help you.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I’m in a discussion on fb with someone who was bashing the Bible though not Catholicism. He doesn’t know I’m Catholic. I said the Bible is a wise and profound book. He replied something like this: “What part? Rape? Incest? Genocide?“ and he said that the Bible “just regurgitates beliefs and tenants from other religions.” How do I respond to that?
And is the Bible stories copied from other religions?
The Bible and the newspaper contain stories of nasty things. By containing them they do not endorse them. For example the multiple wives of leaders in the OT are reported as matter of fact but the problems of polygamy are there to see too. Which is why Israel eventually got rid of polygamy and why only Muslims and Mormons engage in it today.

As to his claim about regurgitation of other sources, it sounds like the guy never bothered to read what he complains about. I’m not impressed by what he said, and while trying not to laugh about it I am not even a tiny bit worried about his criticism.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I come from a family of mainly atheists. I ask them if they've read the bible all the way through. They say they haven't. I ask them how can they judge something they know nothing about?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Bible and the newspaper contain stories of nasty things. By containing them they do not endorse them. For example the multiple wives of leaders in the OT are reported as matter of fact but the problems of polygamy are there to see too. Which is why Israel eventually got rid of polygamy and why only Muslims and Mormons engage in it today.

As to his claim about regurgitation of other sources, it sounds like the guy never bothered to read what he complains about. I’m not impressed by what he said, and while trying not to laugh about it I am not even a tiny bit worried about his criticism.
It usually typical amongst agnostics, etc. to use this ploy in my experience. Kind of their version of evangelizing. ;)

Upvote 0

65James

Feb 18, 2024
Minnesota
✟7,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
While it is true that other religions have similar stories, the Bible origin have something others don’t, the answer immediately in the Garden after the fall. For after the fall man was separated from God. So the First mention of Jesus Christ is given: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her Seed; It shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise His heel. Genesis 3:15. We see here God cursing the serpent, is it any wonder most women fear and hate snakes. But He replies that the woman‘s Seed (Jesus Christ) would be virgin born and and “bruise His heel,” refer to our Lord death. Paul refers to this in Romans 16:20.

Because we in our wickedness are so evil we overall do not understand the devil and his angels started to defile mankind. While yes it is true the angels of God don’t marry and have sex, Matthew 24:30 it is not true of fallen angels. These evil being keep not their 1st estate and left their habitation, Jude 6. So that God judge them, II Peter 2:4. These are what cause the flood of Genesis, for we read this in Genesis 6:4-5. So to give mankind a chance at Redemption thru a pure man the flood was sent. So why did Israel follow the practice of utterly destroying nation at God’s command, because somehow we encounter giants again (probably one are more of Noah’s daughter-in-laws carried the gene) or perhaps other fallen angels after the flood mated with women. Many think that Paul is referring to this in I Corinthians 11:10. But God to keep His promise of a coming Redeemer for mankind keep a pure human race, no angelic blood, definitely Oriental and Black blood and possibly some White blood but nothing else.

But all this is interesting but of no real value. For the Law was a schoolmaster to bring us unto faith in Jesus Christ, Galatians 3:24. So the Promise of Christ being fulfilled by our faith, Galatians 3:15-22, teaches us these words of Christ: Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of Me. John 5:39
The Promise was also stated Isaiah 48:16-17. So why study the Bible, it is God’s love letter to His people, Luke 1:1-4. Theophilus means lover of God, Luke 1:3

Upvote 0