Ecumenical Excesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Globalnomad said:
Nobody denied that he could be wrong. We are only saying that there is a far greater chance that he is right than that he is wrong, therefore we should support his decision and try to meditate on what it means, instead of protesting - let alone asserting that he has sinned, as some have said!
The issue of giving some general dispensation to a whole group of non-Catholics, without first a sufficient explaination can, and has caused scandal, and it can allow people to form the wrong ideas about who can receive and who cannot.. and that's what worries many..

Upvote 0

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
DreamTheater said:
That's pretty funny, wise guy.

Why are you so reluctant to admit that you might be wrong and that the Pope might be right?

If I can't go by the constant teaching of the Church - Communion for Catholics only, with certain individual exceptions, as spelled out in canon law, then how can I examine anything to see if it's right or wrong? And, if a mass reception of Communion by Protestants was allowed, then it's likely that at least some of those receiving did so unworthily. This also makes it more difficult to explain closed Communion, since now Protestants can point to this and use it against us.

And, given the track record of the hierarchy over the past 40 years, I'm not as willing to say everything's just fine as you are.

Upvote 0

Dream

Aug 7, 2003
✟6,389.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Paul S said:
If I can't go by the constant teaching of the Church - Communion for Catholics only, with certain individual exceptions, as spelled out in canon law, then how can I examine anything to see if it's right or wrong? And, if a mass reception of Communion by Protestants was allowed, then it's likely that at least some of those receiving did so unworthily. This also makes it more difficult to explain closed Communion, since now Protestants can point to this and use it against us.

And, given the track record of the hierarchy over the past 40 years, I'm not as willing to say everything's just fine as you are.

...So you still refuse to admit that you might be wrong.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.