Non-Catholics receiving communion

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
thereselittleflower said:
Regarding Brother Roger:
(The Remnant Newspaper: Traditional Catholic News - Welcome!) Editor's Note: Since the following article was recently sent to us by Yves Chiron directly, it seems fair to assume that the respected French author may have had The Remnant in mind when he lamented the fact that certain American and French reviews had criticized Cardinal Ratzinger for having given Holy Communion to "a Protestant"--the late Brother Roger Schutz. In the following article, Mr. Chiron sets out to prove that Brother Roger--the founder of the Taizé Community in France--had, in fact, made a profession of Catholic Faith some years ago and wasn't Protestant at all. According to Mr. Chiron, this conversion was "discreet," and was not generally known until after Brother Roger's controversial reception of Holy Communion at Pope John Paul's April 2005 funeral, after which even Cardinal Kasper, when questioned directly, reportedly had to admit that Brother Roger was "formally Catholic."

We are publishing the following report (from ALETHEIA Lettre d'informations religieuses VIIe année - n° 95 1er August 2006) for two reasons: 1) It contains a most encouraging account of the recent conversion and profession of Catholic Faith by a Lutheran pastor that took place in the Society of St. Pius X's magnificent Saint-Nicholas-du-Chardonnet in Paris and 2) the account of Brother Roger's alleged conversion, while less than completely convincing in our opinion, is nevertheless something readers should carefully consider. Mr. Chiron is, after all, a highly acclaimed author with a sound reputation for accuracy in his research.

If Brother Roger did convert then the fact that that conversion was kept more or less secret (presumably because it might upset the ecumenical apple cart) is still an unnerving sign of the times in which we live. Since when does the Catholic Church cover up conversions of high-profile Protestants? After Brother Roger's reception of Communion at Pope John Paul's funeral even Vatican spokesmen seemed unaware of this alleged conversion, insisting as they did that the incident had been an unfortunate mistake and that "the Catholic rule against shared Communion still holds, and inter-Communion is not practiced at Taizé." Is it any wonder that Bishop Tissier de Mallerais would recently suggest that conversion is something of which the "conciliar Church is embarrassed"? Indeed, if the following report is accurate, it would seem that the "conciliar Church" is practically hiding it these days.

Still, if it is true--and we pray that it is-- this is good news indeed, not only because of the obvious benefits for the man's immortal soul, but also because it places Pope Benedict's controversial eulogy of Brother Roger in a slightly different light. On August 24, 2005, L'Osservatore Romano quoted Pope Benedict XVI as saying the following of the founder of Taizé: "Brother Roger Schutz is in the hands of eternal goodness, of eternal love; he has arrived at eternal joy." It is our hope and prayer that these words referred in fact to a Catholic...not a Protestant...for obvious reasons. Finally, when taking into account the bizarre secrecy surrounding the alleged conversion of the late Brother Roger we believe one can be forgiven for having raised objection to what looked to all the world like a scandalous case of a Protestant receiving Holy Communion at the Pope's funeral.

Did Brother Roger Schutz Convert

The examination of the evidence and arguments for his conversion to Catholicism follow at the link above.

Now two things are clear here. .. if he did convert, and it seems very likely that he did, it was not made public knowledge and gave rise to the appearance of scandal .

If he did not convert, then what I have been saying is backed up by the Church Herself by Her official spokesmen, who having had no knowledge of such conversion if he did, reiterating the Church's teaching on interfaith shared communion. Again:
Vatican spokesmen seemed unaware of this alleged conversion, insisting as they did that the incident had been an unfortunate mistake and that "the Catholic rule against shared Communion still holds, and inter-Communion is not practiced at Taizé." I

So here we see that the proper understanding of Cardinal Ratzinger's words is as I portrayed. . ..
For more than a decade, Taize has been, without a doubt, the leading example of an ecumenical inspiration, emanating from a local center inspired by a particular 'charism'. Similar communities of faith and of shared living should be formed elsewhere in which the foregoing of a communal reception of the Eucharist would, without ceasing to be a hardship, become comprehensible and in which its necessity would be understood by a prayer community that cannot answer its own prayer but is, nevertheless, calmly certain it will be answered.

Again:
FOREGO:

waive: do without or cease to hold or adhere to; "We are dispensing with formalities"; "relinquish the old ideas"

forfeit: lose (s.th.) or lose the right to (s.th.) by some error, offense, or crime; "you've forfeited your right to name your successor"; "forfeited property"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Notice he said:
the foregoing of a communal reception of the Eucharist
which means communal reception of the eucharist in that context, that of mixed faith communities, is not to, and does not, occur.

That this is clearly the proper understanding of his words in context is made even more clear by his immediate statement about this foregoing continuing to be a hardship . . . if forego referred to what was said before, as was alledged earlier, then how is there a continuing hardship of something that was said?

A hardship is the result of an act or absence of an act .. . the prohibition against shared communion to Catholics participating in the Taize community was a hardship to them . .and Cardinal Ratzinger acknowledged this hardship in his statement:
Similar communities of faith and of shared living should be formed elsewhere in which the foregoing of a communal reception of the Eucharist would, without ceasing to be a hardship, become comprehensible and in which its necessity would be understood by a prayer community that cannot answer its own prayer but is, nevertheless, calmly certain it will be answered.

It is very clear Cardinal Ratzinger was saying that it is a necessity that Catholics in the Taize community do not and cannot share communion with non catholics in that communty and the he recognized the hardship that necessity created for them, but encouraged them that this necessity would become comprehensible and understood.

This reinforces, and is reinforced by, the Vatican spokesmen who affirmed that this sharing of communion does not happen in the Taize community and that the Catholic RULE against shared communion still holds.

There really is no logical room for argument to the contrary here .. .

So I'm supposed to believe Cardinal Kasper is lying on the basis of an article in the Remnant?

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,729.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
TLF said
As was pointed out by Anhelyna, there has never been any clarification as to whether Brother Roger converted or not - there could have very well been a secret conversion for all we know.

What I would caution people about doing is judging an act based on superficial appearances and then taking that to govern how they understand Church teaching. The Church's teaching on administering communion to those outside of Her Visible Church is very clear. And that si what we are beholden to.

And since in this particular case under discussion, once more OBOB is pronouncing on something where once more we do not have all the facts. I'm getting a sense of déja vue .

For every rule there is always the exception that proves it - how about leaving this topic ? We know the rules - if they were broken in this case then that's the famous exception . If in fact the rules were not broken then we were not privy to any action and should not be questioning those who knew about it , and presumably took that action. Why not leave it in God's hands ?

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
So I'm supposed to believe Cardinal Kasper is lying on the basis of an article in the Remnant?

In that particular article he is quoted as affirming that Brother Roger fully Catholic.

Perhaps, just as Cardinal Ratzinger was misunderstood, so to has been Cardinal Kasper?

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Having already been through this entire discussion some months back...
Cardinal Ratzinger professed per his funeral that the man did confess to the Catholic faith - also noting he was wheelchair bound and dying, that evidently he spoke to the Cardinal..etc

This of course this leads us to understand though he could not frequent Mass, and or attend Mass he spoke to the Cardinal and confessed to the faith, even if his own followers contend he did not.

Though again, what do they know of his heart? Or what do they know of his every conversation?

The man was unable to go to Mass by any assistance with that one time exception and obviously he already talked to the Cardinal on what he believed.
I believe in this instance per canon law - which i quoted fully in the last thread, he was able to meet the requirements tho Protestant - to the worlds knowledge, because he was dying and had no way to get out.

The Cardinal would not have done this otherwise, unless he simply did not know who this man was.
Per the funeral, he said he believed the Catholic faith.

SO.... I am sure it was either a mistake and no knowledge of the man or the man went to him to confess the Catholic faith.

Upvote 0

CatholicAtHeart

Discerning Catholic
Sep 2, 2010
UK
✟15,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Conservative
Just to add: after reading the posts about Cardinal Ratzinger being put 'on the spot'
If a Priest knew I was not Catholic, and I went to receive communion he wouldn't be 'on the spot' because I know he would continue with a blessing.
Shouldn't Br.Roger have been blessed?

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Having already been through this entire discussion some months back...
Cardinal Ratzinger professed per his funeral that the man did confess to the Catholic faith - also noting he was wheelchair bound and dying, that evidently he spoke to the Cardinal..etc

This of course this leads us to understand though he could not frequent Mass, and or attend Mass he spoke to the Cardinal and confessed to the faith, even if his own followers contend he did not.

Though again, what do they know of his heart? Or what do they know of his every conversation?

The man was unable to go to Mass by any assistance with that one time exception and obviously he already talked to the Cardinal on what he believed.
I believe in this instance per canon law - which i quoted fully in the last thread, he was able to meet the requirements tho Protestant - to the worlds knowledge, because he was dying and had no way to get out.

The Cardinal would not have done this otherwise, unless he simply did not know who this man was.
Per the funeral, he said he believed the Catholic faith.

SO.... I am sure it was either a mistake and no knowledge of the man or the man went to him to confess the Catholic faith.

Just to clarify, he died, not from illness, but was shot.

We do not know what transpired. And so, because we do not know, we would be on very shakey ground to act as if we do know he was not Catholic when he received communion from Cardinal Ratzinger and then attempt to use that assumption to drive understanding of Church doctrine and law.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
In that particular article he is quoted as affirming that Brother Roger fully Catholic.

Perhaps, just as Cardinal Ratzinger was misunderstood, so to has been Cardinal Kasper?

In that article someone reportedly said that he said... In the 2008 article above he definitely says something noticeably different.

I'm not sure why you'd prefer hear-say over the Cardinal's statement. :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Does all this rest on one Cardinal's words?
What he has said seem significant and well informed and it is his department. I'm more inclined to believe the relevant Cardinal than an article constructed from hear-say and wishful thinking.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
What he has said seem significant and well informed and it is his department. I'm more inclined to believe the relevant Cardinal than an article constructed from hear-say and wishful thinking.

You are of course entitled to believe whatever you wish, no one is trying to control your thoughts. :)

However, there is nothing in his words in the article you speak of that outright contradicts what was affirmed to someone else as reported in the other. He does not deny that Brother Roger became a formal Catholic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
You are of course entitled to believe whatever you wish, no one is trying to control your thoughts. :)
as you are entitled to believe newspaper speculation over the informed comment of the relevant Cardjnal. :p

However, there is nothing in his words in the article you speak of that outright contradicts what was affirmed to someone else as reported in the other. He does not deny that Brother Roger became a formal Catholic.

He expressly makes it clear that it is inappropriate to think about it into those categories.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I wouldn't exactly trust Cardinal Kaspar's statements as terribly representative of the Church; particularly, whenever the Traditional Anglican Communion applied for reunion with Rome, Kaspar told them not to do so!---That they didn't need to convert at all! :eek: His is an example of incorrect-ecumenism. Mostly talk, but generally no real action; just good feelings inside all around. :sigh:

However, hopefully the Cardinal has recanted and "revised" his views since then; to bring himself in greater line with the Holy Apostolic See's goal of true Christian union: conversion to and union with, the Holy Roman Catholic Church.

:smoke:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
I wouldn't exactly trust Cardinal Kaspar's statements as terribly representative of the Church; particularly, whenever the Traditional Anglican Communion applied for reunion with Rome, Kaspar told them not to do so!---That they didn't need to convert at all! :eek: His is an example of incorrect-ecumenism. Mostly talk, but generally no real action; just good feelings inside all around. :sigh:

However, hopefully the Cardinal has recanted and "revised" his views since then; to bring himself in greater line with the Holy Apostolic See's goal of true Christian union: conversion to and union with, the Holy Roman Catholic Church.

:smoke:

Interesting observation and indeed showing how individually, even Bishops can been in error.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
as you are entitled to believe newspaper speculation over the informed comment of the relevant Cardjnal. :p

I see no "over" anything. I see nothing specific in the article you point to all is ambiguity. Nothing contradicts the revelation made by one who directly spoke with him on the matter.

There is no contradiction. If one sees a contradiction, it from reading into his words what one wants to find there.

He expressly makes it clear that it is inappropriate to think about it into those categories.

There is nothing "expressly" stated to such an effect at all. It is all ambiguity, dancing around the subject without expressly stating if he did or did not become Catholic.

One cannot take such ambiguity and logical state it expressly states anything at all.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I see no "over" anything. I see nothing specific in the article you point to all is ambiguity. Nothing contradicts the revelation made by one who directly spoke with him on the matter.

There is no contradiction. If one sees a contradiction, it from reading into his words what one wants to find there.

There is nothing "expressly" stated to such an effect at all. It is all ambiguity, dancing around the subject without expressly stating if he did or did not become Catholic.

One cannot take such ambiguity and logical state it expressly states anything at all.

He unambiguously says it's an ambiguous situation and must remain that. That it cannot/must not be put into the black-and-white categories you keep demanding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
The statement is quite clear and unambiguous that the situation with Brother Roger was and must remain ambiguous - and that neither JPII nor Cardinal Ratzinger had a problem with that.

If you keep looking at grey asking "is it black or is it white" you're always going to have a problem with any correct answer.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
The statement is quite clear and unambiguous that the situation with Brother Roger was and must remain ambiguous - and that neither JPII nor Cardinal Ratzinger had a problem with that.

If you keep looking at grey asking "is it black or is it white" you're always going to have a problem with any correct answer.

While I appreciate that this is your opinion, I don't find anything to really support it in Church teaching. Just because, to the public eye, it remains ambiguous, does not mean the Church does not know if he did or did not become a formal Catholic. :)

It would be a mistake to read into his words that the Church does not know the answer to this question or that some ambiguous quasi-catholic state is acceptable to the Church in place of being fully catholic for the purpose of receiving the sacraments.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
While I appreciate that this is your opinion, I don't find anything to really support it in Church teaching. Just because, to the public eye, it remains ambiguous, does not mean the Church does not know if he did or did not become a formal Catholic. :)

It would be a mistake to read into his words that the Church does not know the answer to this question or that some ambiguous quasi-catholic state is acceptable to the Church in place of being fully catholic for the purpose of receiving the sacraments.

It seems to me that the Cardinal is perfectly explicit. Your argument seems to be no more than "I do not want that to be true so it cannot be".

Now I'm not then going to read some generalized position about ambiguity from one particular. But I am going to take the Cardinal at his word about that particular.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
It seems to me that the Cardinal is perfectly explicit. Your argument seems to be no more than "I do not want that to be true so it cannot be".

Now I'm not then going to read some generalized position about ambiguity from one particular. But I am going to take the Cardinal at his word about that particular.
Then show me the explicit statement since you claim he made one.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Then show me the explicit statement since you claim he made one.

You've read the text haven't you? Pulling a sentence out of it's context isn't going to help. I think we have reached the end of the conversation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0