Non-Catholics receiving communion

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
You've read the text haven't you? Pulling a sentence out of it's context isn't going to help. I think we have reached the end of the conversation.

What I see in the text and what you see are obviously two different things. Since you are claiming he made an explicit and unambiguous statement, which I cannot find, I am asking you to quote it so I can see what you see.

But as soon as I ask for a quote to show me the statement you find to be explicit and unambiguous, which was worth claiming numerous times to exist, suddenly it's not worth producing?

I find that quite odd . . . .

An explicit, unambiguous statement is very easy to produce . . if it exists.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
The statement as a whole seems to me to be completely unambiguous. If you disagree for whatever reason I do not think pulling a particular sentence out of it is going to settle the disagreement.

In the end it's impossible to prove something is unambiguous.

We each draw what conclusions we will from the article, and what conclusions we will about other's response to it.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
The statement as a whole seems to me to be completely unambiguous. If you disagree for whatever reason I do not think pulling a particular sentence out of it is going to settle the disagreement.

In the end it's impossible to prove something is unambiguous.

We each draw what conclusions we will from the article, and what conclusions we will about other's response to it.

It is not at all impossible to prove if something is explicit or ambiguous. :)

ex·plic·it
adjective /ikˈsplisit/ 
Stated clearly and in detail, leaving no room for confusion or doubt
- the speaker's intentions were not made explicit

precisely and clearly expressed or readily observable; leaving nothing to implication; "explicit instructions"; "she made her wishes explicit"; "explicit sexual scenes"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

am·big·u·ous
adjective /amˈbigyo͞oəs/ 
(of language) Open to more than one interpretation; having a double meaning
- the question is rather ambiguous
- ambiguous phrases

Unclear or inexact because a choice between alternatives has not been made
- this whole society is morally ambiguous
- the election result was ambiguous

Open to multiple interpretations; Vague and unclear; Of persons: hesitant; uncertain; not taking sides
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ambiguous​

Now it is not a sentence, but the statement as a whole that is unambiguous?

So there is no such sentence or sentences as previously implied?

His entire statement in this regards fits the definition of ambiguous, not that of explicit.

He does indeed leave the answer to the question, did Brother Roger become Catholic, in the air . . . again, that does not say, one way or the other that he did not become Catholic.

And so, in such ambiguity, there is nothing to explicity contradict the claim the Cardinal did admit to a bishop Brother Roger did become Catholic.

Additionally, the source of this revelation of this definitive statement by Cardinal Kaspar, which you have dismissed so easily, is a highly respected and acclaimed author/researcher Yves Chiron.

As was clearly stated in the link I offered:
Mr. Chiron is, after all, a highly acclaimed author with a sound reputation for accuracy in his research.​

Additionally, Bishop Emeritus of Autun, Msgr. Raymond Seguy, where the Taize community is located, affirmed that Brother Roger
"showed that he subscribed fully to the Catholic faith."

It is also not disputed that he made a profession of faith to this same Bishop who then administered communion to him.

When a baptized believer enters the Catholic Church, fully embracing the Catholic faith, this is all that is required to formally enter the Catholic Church.

It is all I was required to do when I entered the Catholic Church myself. However, I chose to go the route of RCIA under my pastor's guidance even though the Archdiocese would have had no difficulty helping myself and my pastor enter the Catholic Church immediately.

The issue is a semantic one surrounding the word "conversion" as for Brother Roger it was not a matter of a sudden move from one to the other, but a progression into fully embracing the Catholic faith without breaking with communion with others within his community; something those of us who are converts all to painfully have had to suffer - this rupture of fellowship with our protestant brothers an sisters, no matter how strongly we desired to stand in the middle between the two and hold them together, hoping that we could help draw our protestant brothers and sisters to the fullness of the Catholic faith.

But we were faced with the harsh reality that they would not follow us, and not only would they not do so, but they would begin to shun us.

After reading quite a bit on Brother Roger, I can much better appreciate his desire to avoid that rupture of fellowship with his protestant brethren - it made me recall the same feelings I had and how painful it was to let go of that hope for myself.

In reading further I found that he had a problem with the word "conversion" and its negative connotation for such continuing fellowship, and so avoided it, and chose not to apply it to himself. This is a semantical argument, and he was not a theologian.

He did have a gradual, progressive conversion of heart to the Catholic faith. He did embrace the Catholic faith fully as attested to by his Bishop, Bishop Emeritus of Autun, Msgr. Raymond Seguy. He did make a profession of faith and receive communion in 1972, which are the necessary acts to fully enter the Catholic Church.

From all I can find, the semantics regarding the word "conversion" not withstanding, he was indeed, fully Catholic, and lived ecumenically with those in his community.

It seems to me that the Church was trying to be sensitive to the nature of the ecumenical community and how a formal announcement of conversion to the Catholic Church could negatively affect this ecumenical community. Whether the Bishops involved were right to do so or not, is a side issue. From everything I can see, there is no reason not to believe that Brother Roger had not fully embraced the Catholic faith, made a profession of faith, received communion, and became fully Catholic.

Upvote 0