Smaland
✟468.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I do not understand why any Christian would eat meat. It is not like we need it for survival.
How can you be sure that evil forces have not been conspiring to destroy you by making you believe murder is ok? Why would anyone sane take that risk?

I used to eat murdered animals and are now trying to make people go vegetarian. Perhaps that can help pay for my past sins.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I do not understand why any Christian would eat meat. It is not like we need it for survival.
How can you be sure that evil forces have not been conspiring to destroy you by making you believe murder is ok? Why would anyone sane take that risk?

I used to eat murdered animals and are now trying to make people go vegetarian. Perhaps that can help pay for my past sins.

People have eaten meat of all sorts since the dawn of history, and will continue to do so.

Why do you think that eating vegetables by pulling them raw out of the ground when they are still alive is so admirable? How can you be sure that evil forces have not been conspiring to destroy you by making you believe this murder is ok?

Jesus declared all foods to be clean. If you want to be a vegetarian go ahead, but the rest of us will continue as carnivores with pleasure.

Mark 7:18-19, " “Are you so dull?” he asked. “Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)

Upvote 0

After God's Heart

May 15, 2021
Florida
✟18,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not understand why any Christian would eat meat.

If you are convicted over eating meat, then don't eat meat, but if you want to take a biblical perspective then consuming meat and slaughtering animals for food is not ungodly or sinful. Hope this clears up why Christians continue to consume meat. Bon appetit brother.

Genesis 9:3
Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

Romans 14
1 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. 2 One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. 3 Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him.

Mark 7
18 And he said to them, “Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him, 19 since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.)

Matthew 15:11
It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.

Timothy 4
Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, 2 through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, 3 who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5 for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer.

Colossians 2:16
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
What really irritates me is that even *with* my extensive farming background (which is mostly in dairy, and perhaps a bit in beef) even *I* can admit that vegans/vegetarians bring to the table a LOT of really good points.

The problem is the propaganda! Which unfortunately undermines any argument you present to the average person. If you want people to hear, don't gaslight them. It's as simple as that.

We seem to be in the era of gaslighting... Or has it always been like this and I'm just NOW noticing it?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,233.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People have eaten meat of all sorts since the dawn of history, and will continue to do so.

Why do you think that eating vegetables by pulling them raw out of the ground when they are still alive is so admirable? How can you be sure that evil forces have not been conspiring to destroy you by making you believe this murder is ok?

The Jain of South Asia are lacto-vegetarian. They can consume eggs and milk...as long as the livestock was well-treated. That pretty much limits them to produce from farmers they personally know.

But the Jain do not eat many kinds of vegetables. They do not eat root vegetables such as potatoes or carrots because the harvest kills the plants. They only eat plants that can be harvested without killing the plant. The Jain are, at least, philosophically consistent.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,233.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What really irritates me is that even *with* my extensive farming background (which is mostly in dairy, and perhaps a bit in beef) even *I* can admit that vegans/vegetarians bring to the table a LOT of really good points.

The problem is the propaganda! Which unfortunately undermines any argument you present to the average person. If you want people to hear, don't gaslight them. It's as simple as that.

We seem to be in the era of gaslighting... Or has it always been like this and I'm just NOW noticing it?

The problem I see constantly is that vegans usually begin with health benefits or environmental benefits...then when those are proven inconclusive, they fall back on their philosophical argument. But then, we all have our own philosophies. Veganism is ultimately a missionary religion.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,233.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Veganism is only possible through modern farming, refrigeration, and transportation technology. If we all had to depend on the local farmer's market wherever we were, meat would be necessary for survival. That's why every people group in every populated area of the world--without exception--ate at least some eggs or milk or fish.

Now, if we want to take advantage of modern farming, refrigeration, and transportation technology in order to say, "I eat no meat," then we would also have to take responsibility for the ecological problems of those technologies that lead to wholesale slaughter of entire species.

• Agree
Reactions: SongOnTheWind
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
The problem I see constantly is that vegans usually begin with health benefits or environmental benefits...then when those are proven inconclusive, they fall back on their philosophical argument. But then, we all have our own philosophies. Veganism is ultimately a missionary religion.

And I'll follow that rating up with a :100: -

They can rarely (if ever) separate emotion from fact. I guess an atheist could say the same about US though, but I'm usually very careful to say "I feel" or "I believe" when discussing Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus declared all foods to be clean. If you want to be a vegetarian go ahead, but the rest of us will continue as carnivores with pleasure.

Mark 7:18-19, " “Are you so dull?” he asked. “Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)

@pescador

Just to support your position, meats were fully approved by God long before Jesus came along. God said to Noah: "Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

God 'gave' us everything that lives and moves about for food. He did, however, restrict the diet of His people. I contend that was for a purpose. To keep His people and the rest of the world's people divided. Still to this day, observant Jews have trouble sitting down to eat with non-Jews. So by giving them dietary restrictions as He did, He assured that His people would not quickly or readily assimilate. So, it would seem that God isn't as troubled by our murdering animals as the OP seems to be.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Better get a good dentist that can take care of your teeth, they will need it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

After God's Heart

May 15, 2021
Florida
✟18,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I just reviewed the rest of your questions.
- we (Christians) are sure because it is laid out in scripture (see my previous response where I reference several passages but I definitely encourage you to study the word on your own)

- converting people to vegetarianism does not atone for any sin. Jesus already fulfilled the wages of sin through his sacrifice on the cross.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
The problem with doing away with meat is you are essentially denying that God's people ate meat. The passover lamb was eaten... meat. Dietary laws given to Israel listed specific animals (meats) that were not allowed to be eaten if all meats were not to be eaten at all there wouldn't be a need to list various animals as "unclean" if ALL were considered "uneatable" by God. Paul himself talked about meats eaten or not and said it was OK to eat idol meat if it didn't cause anyone around you to stumble (like Jewish believers). There would be NO mention of NOT eating a certain type of meat in ACTS in the Bible if NONE were allowed.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
upload_2021-7-2_14-28-6.png

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
I enjoy the taste of it. Take this weekend, for example. We'll be having steak as part of the 4th celebrations. I see no moral imperative behind meat or not eating it.

If you prefer a veggie diet, go for it. But for many of the rest of us...

View attachment 301617

Plot twist: the lady is munching on a slab of minced jackfruit which has been dyed with the pigment from the madder root.

Because jackfruit is literally, like, better and MORE nutritious than meat? And it literally, like, decalcifies your pineal gland? Y'know what I mean, yah...

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Animals eat other animals. I agree that it's bizarre to consider, but it rests on a basic principle of the current state of the created order: life can persist, if and only if, there is death to feed more life. This principle holds for both plants and animals.

Plants use organic matter (dead plants and animals) to thrive. Animals eat plants and animals to thrive. I see no reason to assume that animals should be singled out for non-consumption by humans. We must eat dead things that were once alive, plants and/or animals, in order to live.

As Christians we affirm this principle that we have life because of the death of another, and we remember this by eating him when we get together. Therefore, whatever we eat, plant or animal, we are reminded that sacrifices must be made in order for us to persist in being. You can refuse to eat meat if you want, but don't be deluded in thinking that you are somehow above anybody. You're not. Things die everyday so you can live everyday.

Upvote 0