Southern U.S.
✟105,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
No, the bible is clear. You need to believe in your heart and confess with your mouth. The lord Jesus Christ is the word of God, and the words of the gospel has his spirit. When we accept the gospel by grace within our hearts and confess it. The holy ghost is within us, and the bread of life is living within ourselves. The kingdom of God doesn't come by eating or by observation, its within us. Repent and trust the gospel instead of men's doctrine.
If you refuse do to the will of the Father, you will hear depart from I never knew you.

Acts 16
30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.
33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.

If your theology was right, it would say. Eat from the bread of life that is the Eucharist.

You are believing another gospel. One that doesn't have eternal life.

The Eucharist also never had his blood. In the same way the bible doesn't have his flesh, or the gospel has skin. Those three are Jesus Christ, but none has his flesh and bones. The bread is given by faith when we accept him within our hearts. The Eucharist is a celebration of his name and his victory. Not the way to salvation.

The people of Acts did indeed eat the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the way they participated in the Eucharist. the Real Presence of Christ. We see that St. Paul ate the Body of Christ. Neither a symbol or a metaphor St. Paul understood the Eucharist is the Body of Christ and the Blood of Christ.

"And giving thanks, broke, and said: Take ye, and eat: this is my body, which shall be delivered for you: this do for the commemoration of me. In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me." [1 Corinthians 11:24-25]​

From the very beginning of the Church doctrines were recorded as preserving the Eucharist.

"And they were persevering in the doctrine of the apostles, and in the communication of the breaking of bread, and in prayers." [Acts Of Apostles 2:42]​

The sanctified continued as 'one' people praying in the Temple then in the breaking of bread in individual houses.

"And continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they took their meat with gladness and simplicity of heart;" [Acts Of Apostles 2:46]​

The Eucharist, unlike a fetish, is indeed real. Not a bread occupied by a spirit, but the real presence of Christ. The Eucharist can cure the sick of heart, soul and mind.

"And God wrought by the hand of Paul more than common miracles. So that even there were brought from his body to the sick, handkerchiefs and aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the wicked spirits went out of them." [Acts Of Apostles 19:11-12]​

After the Sabbath members of the pilgrim Church partook in the Real Presence of Christ eating His Body drinking His Blood.

"And on the first day of the week, when we were assembled to break bread, Paul discoursed with them, being to depart on the morrow: and he continued his speech until midnight." [Acts Of Apostles 20:7]​

"Then going up, and breaking bread and tasting, and having talked a long time to them, until daylight, so he departed." [Acts Of Apostles 20:11]​

JoeT

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I trust the finish work of the cross. You should too. Instead of looking at yourself and saying. Yeah I deserve grace.
Nowhere have I ever heard and nowhere has the church ever taught that anyone deserves grace. In fact, read the canons of the 2nd council of orange to understand the church's teachings on grace-if truth has relevance here.

Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
The people of Acts did indeed eat the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the way they participated in the Eucharist. the Real Presence of Christ. We see that St. Paul ate the Body of Christ. Neither a symbol or a metaphor St. Paul understood the Eucharist is the Body of Christ and the Blood of Christ.

"And giving thanks, broke, and said: Take ye, and eat: this is my body, which shall be delivered for you: this do for the commemoration of me. In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me." [1 Corinthians 11:24-25]​

From the very beginning of the Church doctrines were recorded as preserving the Eucharist.

"And they were persevering in the doctrine of the apostles, and in the communication of the breaking of bread, and in prayers." [Acts Of Apostles 2:42]​

The sanctified continued as 'one' people praying in the Temple then in the breaking of bread in individual houses.

"And continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they took their meat with gladness and simplicity of heart;" [Acts Of Apostles 2:46]​

The Eucharist, unlike a fetish, is indeed real. Not a bread occupied by a spirit, but the real presence of Christ. The Eucharist can cure the sick of heart, soul and mind.

"And God wrought by the hand of Paul more than common miracles. So that even there were brought from his body to the sick, handkerchiefs and aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the wicked spirits went out of them." [Acts Of Apostles 19:11-12]​

After the Sabbath members of the pilgrim Church partook in the Real Presence of Christ eating His Body drinking His Blood.

"And on the first day of the week, when we were assembled to break bread, Paul discoursed with them, being to depart on the morrow: and he continued his speech until midnight." [Acts Of Apostles 20:7]​

"Then going up, and breaking bread and tasting, and having talked a long time to them, until daylight, so he departed." [Acts Of Apostles 20:11]​

JoeT

I never said Christ wasnt in the eucharist. What I dont believe, is that it is flesh and blood. Neither do I believe salvation comes from eating it. But by believing the gospel which is also the bread of life.

Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Nowhere have I ever heard and nowhere has the church ever taught that anyone deserves grace. In fact, read the canons of the 2nd council of orange to understand the church's teachings on grace-if truth has relevance here.

Why do you frontload works instead of trusting in his finish work.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We call your mockery of the gospel what it is.

Our Lord demands many things of you.

But you only regard one as necessary “ confess that Jesus is Lord....”

Even the devil does as much as you claim you need to!

and elsewhere for clarification he says “ not all who call on me as Lord will be saved”. Listen to Him, destroying your argument!

You mock the gospel of your salvation and the grace of God. Calling it easy believism.
The holy ghost is seal in those who trust in his finish work. Not mock it.

Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
We call your mockery of the gospel what it is.

Our Lord demands many things of you.

But you only regard one as necessary “ confess that Jesus is Lord....”

Even the devil does as much as you claim you need to!

and elsewhere for clarification he says “ not all who call on me as Lord will be saved”. Listen to Him, destroying your argument!

Matthew 7
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Do you think we would be saying didnt we do this or that. We would be saying, lord Jesus Christ you died for us. We trust you.

Jhon 6
39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Do you believe in him, do you believe the gospel. Or do you trust in your lordship instead of the grace of God. Where is the boasting in the real gospel. None.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Knowing that neither my faith nor works are strong enough to merit salvation.

I prefer to try to do all He asks, not just one of Them!
Then I hope for His grace.

Matthew 7
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Do you think we would be saying didnt we do this or that. We would be saying, lord Jesus Christ you died for us. We trust you.

Jhon 6
39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Do you believe in him, do you believe the gospel. Or do you trust in your lordship instead of the grace of God. Where is the boasting in the real gospel. None.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I never said Christ wasnt in the eucharist. What I dont believe, is that it is flesh and blood. Neither do I believe salvation comes from eating it. But by believing the gospel which is also the bread of life.

But it is His flesh and blood, and there is salvation there--because Christ is our salvation, what He did for us is our salvation, God's grace saves us.

Your profile states you are Lutheran, if you can please speak with your pastor about this, and see what our Confessions plainly teach,

"We believe, teach, and confess that in the Holy Supper the body and blood of Christ are truly and essentially present, and are truly distributed and received with the bread and wine." - Epitome of the Formula of Concord, Article VII

"What is the Sacrament of the Altar?

Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, under the bread and wine, for us Christians to eat and to drink, instituted by Christ Himself.
" - The Small Catechism, Part VI

"Of the Supper of the Lord they teach that the Body and Blood of Christ are truly present, and are distributed to those who eat the Supper of the Lord; and they reject those that teach otherwise." - The Augsburg Confession, Article X

"The Tenth Article has been approved, in which we confess that we believe, that in the Lord’s Supper the body and blood of Christ are truly and substantially present, and are truly tendered, with those things which are seen, bread and wine, to those who receive the Sacrament. This belief we constantly defend, as the subject has been carefully examined and considered. For since Paul says, 1 Cor. 10:16, that the bread is the communion of the Lord’s body, etc., it would follow, if the Lord’s body were not truly present, that the bread is not a communion of the body, but only of the spirit of Christ." - Apology of the Augsburg Confession, Article X

"Of the Sacrament of the Altar we hold that bread and wine in the Supper are the true body and blood of Christ, and are given and received not only by the godly, but also by wicked Christians." - The Smalcald Articles, Article VI

Here in, with, and under this bread and wine is Christ's true flesh and blood, here is Christ whose body was broken and blood was shed for you and for me. That is what we receive in the Supper--Christ Himself, true, real, actual.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: GraceInChrist
Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
But it is His flesh and blood, and there is salvation there--because Christ is our salvation, what He did for us is our salvation, God's grace saves us.

Your profile states you are Lutheran, if you can please speak with your pastor about this, and see what our Confessions plainly teach,

"We believe, teach, and confess that in the Holy Supper the body and blood of Christ are truly and essentially present, and are truly distributed and received with the bread and wine." - Epitome of the Formula of Concord, Article VII

"What is the Sacrament of the Altar?

Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, under the bread and wine, for us Christians to eat and to drink, instituted by Christ Himself.
" - The Small Catechism, Part VI

"Of the Supper of the Lord they teach that the Body and Blood of Christ are truly present, and are distributed to those who eat the Supper of the Lord; and they reject those that teach otherwise." - The Augsburg Confession, Article X

"The Tenth Article has been approved, in which we confess that we believe, that in the Lord’s Supper the body and blood of Christ are truly and substantially present, and are truly tendered, with those things which are seen, bread and wine, to those who receive the Sacrament. This belief we constantly defend, as the subject has been carefully examined and considered. For since Paul says, 1 Cor. 10:16, that the bread is the communion of the Lord’s body, etc., it would follow, if the Lord’s body were not truly present, that the bread is not a communion of the body, but only of the spirit of Christ." - Apology of the Augsburg Confession, Article X

"Of the Sacrament of the Altar we hold that bread and wine in the Supper are the true body and blood of Christ, and are given and received not only by the godly, but also by wicked Christians." - The Smalcald Articles, Article VI

Here in, with, and under this bread and wine is Christ's true flesh and blood, here is Christ whose body was broken and blood was shed for you and for me. That is what we receive in the Supper--Christ Himself, true, real, actual.

-CryptoLutheran

Im not enterly familiar with lutheran doctrine. But I do like going to their churches. I was told Christ is in the Eucharist just as he is on the word of God, the place where they told me it was literally blood and flesh was in the catholic church. Nevertheless they accepted my baptism and testimony of faith as a sing of my salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Im not enterly familiar with lutheran doctrine. But I do like going to their churches. I was told Christ is in the Eucharist just as he is on the word of God. Nevertheless they accepted my baptism and testimony of faith as a sing of my salvation.

Well yes, you can be confident in your Baptism because you were crucified, dead, buried with Christ, and you rose to new life in and with Christ there. As St. Paul says in Romans 6:3-4, and also as the same Apostle says in Galatians 3:27, we were clothed with Christ in our baptism. Or as he says in Ephesians 5:26, that Christ cleansed us by the washing of water with the word. So you can trust your baptism, for there in the Sacrament was God's grace, God working to take hold of you, give you faith, and declaring you to be His child--fully justified by His grace on Christ's account alone.

And yes, Christ is present in the Scriptures, Luther compared the Scriptures with the manger that held the Christ Child. Our Lord is there, speaking to us in the Scriptures.

But in the Supper we do not have a merely spiritual presence of our Lord, but it is Jesus Himself. The bread and wine of the Supper is Jesus. It is the same Jesus that told Thomas to touch the wounds in His hand and side.

When you go up and receive the Supper, you can be bold and confident in faith that you are there receiving very Jesus Christ Himself. You are meeting the Son of God in the Sacrament of His Table. It's really Jesus, and He is really saving you there, because that really is His broken body and shed blood for you. For the forgiveness of your sins.

The finished work of Christ is yours, by the grace of God, appropriated to you through faith, in His Word and Sacraments. So wherever the word is preached and the Sacraments administered, there is God saving, giving faith, making us whole for Christ's sake; for there is Christ Himself speaking, acting, being.

I don't say these things to try and attack or contend with you, but rather because this is the truth. And I encourage you to boldly go before the Lord's Table, in faith, confessing it to be what He Himself said it was.

Do not hide away in unbelief from He who gives Himself to you in the Supper, but with gladness, joy, thankfulness, and humility kneel before Him, as you receive His true body in the bread, taking and eating; and as you receive His true blood in the cup, taking and drinking. For this is His body, broken for you, and this is His blood of the new covenant which is shed for you. Take and eat. Take and drink.

It is for you.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why do you frontload works instead of trusting in his finish work.
It's not front loading. Once freely justified: forgiven, washed, cleansed, and made new creations, children of God, we're to live and walk and act like members of His family, confirming our election, working out our salvation with He who works in us. Our job is small, only to cooperate, to say yes instead of no, and continue to say yes for as long as we have time in this life to do so. And, if we slip back into a serious and ugly "no" for awhile, we must, with a change of heart, repent at some point, confessing our sin, and turn back to Him-and He'll forgive as always and set us back onto the right path.

It's all about trusting in Him to do what we cannot do for ourselves-and then participating in His work-because that's what He wants of us. And to tell you the truth that's how I believe most Protectants actually live their lives regardless of professed theology, aware that what they do counts, that they must consciously remain aware of obstacles and temptations and those challenges that tend to sway us away from God-striving to one degree or another to do the right thing, with His help.

Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Well yes, you can be confident in your Baptism because you were crucified, dead, buried with Christ, and you rose to new life in and with Christ there. As St. Paul says in Romans 6:3-4, and also as the same Apostle says in Galatians 3:27, we were clothed with Christ in our baptism. Or as he says in Ephesians 5:26, that Christ cleansed us by the washing of water with the word. So you can trust your baptism, for there in the Sacrament was God's grace, God working to take hold of you, give you faith, and declaring you to be His child--fully justified by His grace on Christ's account alone.

And yes, Christ is present in the Scriptures, Luther compared the Scriptures with the manger that held the Christ Child. Our Lord is there, speaking to us in the Scriptures.

But in the Supper we do not have a merely spiritual presence of our Lord, but it is Jesus Himself. The bread and wine of the Supper is Jesus. It is the same Jesus that told Thomas to touch the wounds in His hand and side.

When you go up and receive the Supper, you can be bold and confident in faith that you are there receiving very Jesus Christ Himself. You are meeting the Son of God in the Sacrament of His Table. It's really Jesus, and He is really saving you there, because that really is His broken body and shed blood for you. For the forgiveness of your sins.

The finished work of Christ is yours, by the grace of God, appropriated to you through faith, in His Word and Sacraments. So wherever the word is preached and the Sacraments administered, there is God saving, giving faith, making us whole for Christ's sake; for there is Christ Himself speaking, acting, being.

-CryptoLutheran

Those are beautiful words. I hope what is foreshadow in the eucharist comes quickly, to share with us the marriage supper of the lamb and for us to fully have Christ in body and spirit. The world is getting upside down since last year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
It's not front loading. Once freely justified: forgiven, washed, cleansed, and made new creations, children of God, we're to live and walk and act like members of His family, confirming our election, working out our salvation with He who works in us. Our job is small, only to cooperate, to say yes instead of no, and continue to say yes for as long as we have time in this life to do so. And, if we slip back into a serious and ugly "no" for awhile, we must, with a change of heart, repent at some point, confessing our sin, and turn back to Him-and He'll forgive as always and set us back onto the right path.

It's all about trusting in Him to do what we cannot do for ourselves-and then participating in His work-because that's what He wants of us. And to tell you the truth that's how I believe most Protectants actually live their lives regardless of professed theology, aware that what they do counts, that they must consciously remain aware of obstacles and temptations and those challenges that tend to sway us away from God-striving to one degree or another to do the right thing, with His help.

Im save freely by his grace. By the law of faith that comes by hearing. I trust in the finish work of Cross. The way I walk in my faith has nothing to do with that grace. I dont have a debt, but gratituted for his gift.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

And nothing you've written here would be found disagreeable in Lutheranism.

Only that we are very clear that this:
we're to live and walk and act like members of His family, confirming our election, working out our salvation with He who works in us. Our job is small, only to cooperate, to say yes instead of no, and continue to say yes for as long as we have time in this life to do so. And, if we slip back into a serious and ugly "no" for awhile, we must, with a change of heart, repent at some point, confessing our sin, and turn back to Him-and He'll forgive as always and set us back onto the right path.

Is not the same thing as this:
freely justified: forgiven, washed, cleansed, and made new creations, children of God,

Justified, forgiven, washed, cleansed, made new creations, etc is what God does. We receive it, passively, through faith. God does this apart from us. This is our righteousness Coram Deo, before God; the righteousness not of our obedience to God's commandments, but the righteousness of Jesus Christ which has come to us as grace.

Working out our salvation, living the life of faith, this is the active righteousness to which we are called to have Coram Mundo, before the world. By which we are called to live as disciples carrying our cross in the world. We are being worked upon day by day, by the grace of God, and the life and power of the Holy Spirit sanctifying us, making us holy, transforming us.

Who we are before God is exclusively from Jesus Christ.
Who we are before the world, is the life to which we have been called in Jesus Christ, by the power of the Holy Spirit.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And nothing you've written here would be found disagreeable in Lutheranism.

Only that we are very clear that this:

Is not the same thing as this:

Justified, forgiven, washed, cleansed, made new creations, etc is what God does. We receive it, passively, through faith. God does this apart from us. This is our righteousness Coram Deo, before God; the righteousness not of our obedience to God's commandments, but the righteousness of Jesus Christ which has come to us as grace.

Working out our salvation, living the life of faith, this is the active righteousness to which we are called to have Coram Mundo, before the world. By which we are called to live as disciples carrying our cross in the world. We are being worked upon day by day, by the grace of God, and the life and power of the Holy Spirit sanctifying us, making us holy, transforming us.

Who we are before God is exclusively from Jesus Christ.
Who we are before the world, is the life to which we have been called in Jesus Christ, by the power of the Holy Spirit.

-CryptoLutheran
Both are of grace, from God IOW. Paul opposed legalism, the idea that we have any righteousness on our own, based on the law, apart from God with which to fulfill the law, to be justified in His eyes, the idea that we can be just by merely acting justly. He was not opposed to the kinds of works that God prepares for us in advance (Eph 2:10) which by nature are works of grace, works of love to put it another way. Those are works of a different kind altogether; they come as we're under grace, definitely not works of the law. The same grace that's associated with works done by the Spirit, with all works of God in us:
"Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live." Rom 8:12-13

This righteousness is not merely declared or imputed, but given, infused, imparted:
"not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith." Phil 3:9

We're obligated to walk in it now. That obligation to be personally righteous in no way goes away with the New Covenant. Rather the authentic means to finally achieve it is now graciously and mercifully given due to Christ's work. We don't-or shouldn't- really care who we are before the world, and neither does God so long as we're clean internally first of all. Who we are before God depends on how righteous we really are IOW, by cooperation with His grace. Sanctification is simply a continuation of justification, to grow in more justice or righteousness yet, as opposed to losing our state of justice by living unjustly, any profession of faith notwithstanding.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Im save freely by his grace. By the law of faith that comes by hearing. I trust in the finish work of Cross. The way I walk in my faith has nothing to do with that grace. I dont have a debt, but gratituted for his gift.
We actually have an obligation, sometimes translated here as "debt":
"Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation, but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God." Rom 8:12-13

“…just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Rom 5:21

“For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.” Rom 2:13

"Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work." 1 John 3:7-8

Upvote 0

JoeT

Oct 5, 2020
Southern U.S.
✟105,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Jesus did use symbolic language:

Matthew 26:27-29 "(27) And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; (28) For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. (29) But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom." Jesus first refers to the content of the cup as "blood" but at the same time and in the same context Jesus calls the content "fruit of the vine". The content of the cup did not change for it was always fruit of the vine.

Also, in verse 27 the word "cup" is used figuratively for the content of the cup, therefore not literally drink the cup itself but drink the content of the cup.
"And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;"
Clearly a metonymy is being employed, a figure of speech where one thing (cup) stands for another (contents of cup). The "fruit of the vine" is literally the "it" which is also the cup itself.

Luke 22:17 "And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:" Again, a figure of speech is employed for "it" is not the literal cup itself that was to be divided but the content of the cup. (divide - diamerizō - to cleave asunder, cut in pieces; to be divided into opposing parts cf Matthew 27:35). Therefore the language of John 6:54 can and would be equally symbolic.

Also:
John 6:52 "The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"
Those Jews strove for they incorrectly understood the words of Christ literally as did those disciples John 6:60. If those disciples understood what Christ said as literally eating Christ's flesh and murmured about it, Jesus points out as to what would they do when He physically left them ascending above, John 6:61-62.

So Christ's words are not referring to the literal, actual physical presence of Christ's blood or flesh. Luke 22:18-19 instructs disciples to take literal bread and fruit of the vine and "this do in remembrance of me". In "remebrance of Me" means Christ would not always have a physical flesh and blood presence among the disciples, hence no literal flesh and blood present for them to eat or drink. So what would those disciples do who took 'eat His flesh" literally when Christ physically left them ascending above?

During the Jewish tradition celebrating Pesach, the Passover Festivals, a marked ceremony. The Sadder meal is to be observed by Israel, the Passover meal. A commandment of God is to eat a special meal in hast to commemorate what He had done to free the Jews. The meal had 15 distinct parts and which included four blessing and raising of the chalice four times.

The first was at sanctification or “Kaddesh” where the blessings were said over the Passover, the meal and the family participants sanctifying the meal (Cf. John 17:17). The second blessing is where the Exodus story, maggid, is told and Psalm 113 is recited to the family after which a blessing is recited and the second cup is raised and drunk. The third cup is poured after the meal’s grace, the ‘barekh’; see "the cup of blessing" is said (Cf. 1 Corinthians 10:16). It’s my understanding that after the blessing and drinking the third chalice, the fourth cup is poured and set aside for the ascension of the prophet Elijah. [Cf. 4 Kings 2]. This is the symbolism which would have been raised in the minds of the Jews at the Last Supper. Until this last cup was drunk and the closing the Sadder meal remained open. But, Christ refused the fourth cup at the Seder meal; the “fruit of the vine” is distinguished this cup wine from the Chalice of Life, His Blood.

Hysslop was also present at the Last Supper as it was at the first Passover. The Jews were to dip the hyssop in the blood of the lame and sprinkle it on the door header and jambs so that death would Passover the household. [Cf. Exodus 12:22]. During the Sadder meal the hysslop was dipped in salt water a reminder that God parted the salty Red Sea. Christ drank His last cup when they dipped the hysslop into the wine that had gone to vinegar. It was put it to his mouth and drank it. Now he says the scriptures had been fulfilled, “it is consummated”. [Cf. John 19:30].

Therefore, we find that Christ came to fulfill the law of the Prophets, every last jot. [Matthew 5:17]. The bread is indeed His body. The wine is indeed His Blood. Hence when we partake of Christ we abide in Him and He in us. The Eucharist consumes the faithful as the faithful consume the Eucharist as He commanded to do in commemoration.

JoeT

Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
We actually have an obligation, sometimes translated here as "debt":
"Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation, but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God." Rom 8:12-13

“…just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Rom 5:21

“For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.” Rom 2:13

"Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work." 1 John 3:7-8
Romans 4:4
“Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.”

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Romans 4:4
“Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.”
Ok, so long as that means that we cannot inherit eternal life unless we put to death the deeds of the flesh, by grace, and unless we obey the commandments, and unless our righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees and teachers of the law, and obey the law, and strive and persist and do good and persevere and be vigilant, and be holy and pure of heart, etc. We have to understand that grace means that, while the law cannot possibly justify us, we must nonetheless fulfill it, as prescribed by Scripture with the support of church teachings as well. IOW, "looking" righteous by an external show of it means nothing; we must be righteous; that accomplishment Jesus brings to bear for us.

"For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace." Rom 6:14

"But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Rom 6:22-23

Sheez! -the New Covenant is not a license to be free from that obligation-that concept would violate the gospel terribly. And if we don't take advantage of our new status as His justified children and live righteously by the grace now freely given-or don't care-then we make His life and sacrifice into something worth much less that it is. He wants and expects more for-and from- us than that. We were made in His own image after all-man, created as a good and noble creature has an almost limitless potential to the extent that he's partnered with his Creator in loving subjugation. Faith is virtually the basis, virtually the essence, of that union.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GraceInChrist

Feb 22, 2021
Heredia
✟17,779.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Widowed
Ok, so long as that means that we cannot inherit eternal life unless we put to death the deeds of the flesh, by grace, and unless we obey the commandments, and unless our righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees and teachers of the law, and obey the law, and strive and persist and do good and persevere and be vigilant, and be holy and pure of heart, etc. We have to understand that grace means that, while the law cannot possibly justify us, we must nonetheless fulfill it, as prescribed by Scripture with the support of church teachings as well. IOW, "looking" righteous by an external show of it means nothing; we must be righteous; that accomplishment Jesus brings to bear for us.

"For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace." Rom 6:14

"But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Rom 6:22-23

Sheez! -the New Covenant is not a license to be free from that obligation-that concept would violate the gospel terribly. And if we don't take advantage of our new status as His justified children and live righteously by the grace now freely given-or don't care-then we make His life and sacrifice into something worth much less that it is. He wants and expects more for-and from- us than that. We were made in His own image after all-man, created as a good and noble creature has an almost limitless potential to the extent that he's partnered with his Creator in loving subjugation.

1unless we put to death the deeds of the flesh
2unless we obey the commandments
3unless our righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees and teachers of the law, and obey the law, and strive and persist and do good and persevere and be vigilant, and be holy and pure of heart

How is it grace and not a debt?

Upvote 0