• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dolly Parton drops 'Dixie' from name of Stampede dinner shows, citing cultural concerns

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by JCFantasy23, Jan 12, 2018.

1. JCFantasy23

JCFantasy23 In a Kingdom by the Sea Staff Member Administrator Supporter CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team

+3,532
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    Parton said in a statement that the name change was spurred by changing attitudes and “will remove any confusion or concerns about our shows” as the company that operates the attraction expands into new markets.

World Choice spokesman Pete Owens said Parton is referring to shifting attitudes about the word “Dixie” and its connotations.

Link: Dolly Parton drops 'Dixie' from name of Stampede dinner shows, citing cultural concerns

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. JerseyGuy

JerseyGuy New Member

+6
    Christian
    Private
    US-Others
    oh, ok

3. Glaucus

Glaucus The Lay Monk

+177
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    [​IMG]

4. Galaxy Hunter

Galaxy Hunter Member

+104
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    We may not be able to say the word South someday without getting arrested for hate speech.

5. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Evangelical Catholic Supporter

+4,138
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    That makes sense since Parton has always attracted a more eclectic mix of fans.

6. Galaxy Hunter

Galaxy Hunter Member

+104
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    So does this mean that Dixie Cups are going to have to be renamed or face arrest by the politically correct police?

7. Go Braves

Go Braves Well-Known Member

+1,943
    United States
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Always loved Dolly. Word meanings evolve over time & it's good to recognize that, adapt. She's a wise woman.

8. Galaxy Hunter

Galaxy Hunter Member

+104
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    And because people like Dolly give into that politically correct insanity it won't be long until Dixie Cups days are numbered. They will have to change their name or be labeled racist. I'm disappointed in Dolly. I thought she was a stronger person than that. But I guess she cares more about making money and simply decided to give into the bullies.

9. Douger

Douger Veteran

+596
    Christian
    What's a Dixie Cup and why would changing it's name be a bad thing?

10. JCFantasy23

JCFantasy23 In a Kingdom by the Sea Staff Member Administrator Supporter CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team

+3,532
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    I learned about this through Twitter, where people were popping up and asking, Is 'Dixie' now considered a bad word? I've never heard of that. Is it any word now that has to do with the South?

11. JCFantasy23

+3,532
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    Is there something wrong with the word Dixie?

The company Dixie created Dixie Cups in 1907

[​IMG]

12. JCFantasy23

+3,532
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    There's also the Dixie Chicks

13. Galaxy Hunter

Galaxy Hunter Member

+104
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I think anything with the name Dixie is destined to fall. Unless something happens to stop a politically correct trend it will play itself out until the end. It won't matter if the word Dixie ever stood for slavery or racism or anything else bad. Once a word gets this kind of bad publicity it is usually a death sentence for it. While Dolly's intentions might have been good she simply added fuel to the trend.

14. HannahT

HannahT Newbie Supporter

+1,354
    Christian
    Married
    I don't see it like that. She is a strong philanthropy nature. Some things are worth the war, and other things just aren't.

People today aren't very accepting of other POV, because they just assume its evil. There really isn't any talking to them either. They aren't going to listen even if you try to explain things. It's like talking to a wall. Word meanings have changed with history, but some aren't willing to accept that. It is what it is.

To me it makes perfect business sense. She uses the money to help others, and there really isn't any reason to risk having less available for those that need it. They - the poor - are more important than those that would be offended, because they need this help.

15. revanneosl

revanneosl Mystically signifying since 1985

+1,214
    Methodist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Freedom Fries

16. JCFantasy23

+3,532
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    I must have missed the news where Dixie was considered a new politically incorrect word. I seriously hadn't heard that a group found this offensive now. I still haven't heard that - the only thing that rang bells for me was seeing this article.

I can't agree with you on the business sense of this, actually. A lot of people are boycotting her getting rid of any names of the South like she is suddenly ashamed of the South. She may get new customers and lose the old ones, or it may not end up making a difference after all. Only time will tell.

17. Go Braves

+1,943
    United States
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    I wouldn't characterize it as a bad word, but the meaning of it has evolved over time. No, I don't think that there's a problem against any word that has to do with the South. I'm a Southerner born & bred, praise be to God, & would take issue if that were the case, but it's not. Dixie became popularized on account of a marching song popular with Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. Words having to do with the Confederacy do have a different connotation to them than other words about the South.

Dolly's not the first to rebrand & drop Dixie from the name, Disney renamed their Dixie Landings Hotel nearly 20 years ago. She explained that the main reason for the name change was wanting to streamline & avoid confusion, on account of how it's expanding to cities outside of the South. In that respect it's not that different from how Dunkin Donuts plans to drop donuts from their name, on account of them not wanting to be known just for their donuts anymore.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. WolfGate

WolfGate Senior Member

+837
    Christian
    Married
    The song "Dixie" caused concerns at least since the 50s, but I didn't know that the word had become a problem. I kind of get the song, since it was used by segregationists counter-protesters as a response to songs, such as "we shall overcome" sung by the civil rights marchers. They tainted the song with modern racial overtones well beyond the civil war history of the song. Seems strange that the word Dixie itself is causing concern though as it has much broader usage that does not have a racial context (as far as I am aware).

19. JCFantasy23

+3,532
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    Oh no - I hadn't heard this news either. Dropping the donuts just doesn't have the same ring to it :(

20. Go Braves

+1,943
    United States
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Agreed! Plenty of folks are always going to call it Dunkin DONUTS even after they drop the donuts. They're wanting to focus more on coffee & sandwiches, compete with Starbucks more. I say, they ought to just stick with what they're best known for!