Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I think you misunderstood me. I never said anything about zoning having to do with certain races living in certain areas, I said I don't know of any neighborhoods where 100% of it's residences are of one race.

So you were knocking over a straw man?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So you were knocking over a straw man?
No, I was disagreeing with a statement somebody else made, you entered the conversation unaware of the point he or I was making, and misunderstood what I said. My point was, you're never gonna get everybody in a free society to vote the same; there will always be those with a mind of their own regardless of race.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There was a study that showed names like Jamal, Lakiesha, Deondre, Kanesha, etc get skipped over quite often without even looking at the qualifications.

But that study compared to the most common 'white' names. Not a Paddy, Garath, Ian or Ishmael to compare with. Very poor controls to determine if it was a black sounding name or an uncommon name.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Very true. Being able to communicate effectively starts with understanding each other. Poor whites have many of the same challenges as any other poor minority when it comes to access to good education.

When I was in Grad School in Managment one of the women was from the South. She was working very hard to lose her southern accent. Not even poor English by any measure. Not even using y'all and the like. Just pronunciation. Why? Because she had done her homework and figured out it would cost her in the job market. And that even if she got past the first hurdle and got hired.

BTW it was a rather sexy accent. And since she reverted when excited or stressed she was tested from time tlo time. Which probably helped her. She got to practive under stress, not find out at an interview.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Black CEOs and upper management who set policy in big corporations are a minute fraction of the WASPS who lead industry
1617193827491.jpg

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What about white names like Chaputchnikov, Burgdorf, Schwarzgel or Borussia? I will bet they get looked over as well. Common American names will probably be selected over uncommon foreign names or names that are more difficult to pronounce.
Agreed. I have noticed that Anglo whites see Slavic whites differently than say Germanic. Scandinavian or French whites. It's actually where the name "Slave" came from. The Greeks, Romans, and Gallic people all kidnapped Slavic people and sold them into slavery (slav-ery).

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Race is more about how you look; not how you walk, talk, or act.
Mostly but in the United States, the different races seem to also have different cultures and stereotypes that follow.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Oh there are 72 outspoken black business leaders in the United States. I guess there is absolutely no way whites having an advantage in the United States. Racism is a myth I guess.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Oh there are 72 outspoken black business leaders in the United States. I guess there is absolutely no way whites having an advantage in the United States. Racism is a myth I guess.
Sarcasm noted. How does the fact that the vast majority of business leaders in the US being white give whites an advantage? Are you suggesting white business leaders run corporations that favor whites?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Agreed. I have noticed that Anglo whites see Slavic whites differently than say Germanic. Scandinavian or French whites. It's actually where the name "Slave" came from. The Greeks, Romans, and Gallic people all kidnapped Slavic people and sold them into slavery (slav-ery).
Is there any evidence that white people of today still see white Slavic people this way

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
"I applied to Oxford in the '80s and was invited to an interview. It was like a scene from Billy Elliot: people were making fun of me for my accent and the way I was dressed. It was the most embarrassing, awful experience I had ever had in my life."
-Fiona Hill, Assistant NSA to John Bolton, who testified during 1st Trump Impeachment

Fiona Hill was born in County Durham, in northern England, the daughter of a coal miner who died in 2012, whose family struggled financially.

After her humiliating interview at Oxford, she went on to study history and Russian at St. Andrews in Scotland and later received her PhD at Harvard!

Part of Hills' decision to remain in America was based on the discriminatory role that she had experienced whereby judgments, that can have life-altering consequences, can be based on one's accent!

Apparently such outdated practices serving to preserving Britain's class system are still allowed to overshadow superior academic ability - as was in the case of Hill's interview at Oxford, the nation's premier university!

Hill's testimony during the 1st Trump Impeachment Hearings was notable not only for her concise, knowledgeable responses, but an unwillingness to "suffer fools (congressional Republicans) gladly!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Sarcasm noted. How does the fact that the vast majority of business leaders in the US being white give whites an advantage? Are you suggesting white business leaders run corporations that favor whites?
Yes

• Informative
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Is there any evidence that white people of today still see white Slavic people this way
Don't know, but probably not. Just noting where the word "slave" came from.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So when (for example) Merrill Lynch had a white CEO, the investment management corporation had a policy that favored white people, then when a Black CEO took over, it changed it’s policy to favor black people? Is this the method to your madness, that major corporations change their policies back and fourth based on the race of the person running it? C’mon you know better than that.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
So when (for example) Merrill Lynch had a white CEO, the investment management corporation had a policy that favored white people, then when a Black CEO took over, it changed it’s policy to favor black people? Is this the method to your madness, that major corporations change their policies back and fourth based on the race of the person running it? C’mon you know better than that.
To operate your company based on racist hiring practices is illegal for whites or blacks. That doesn't mean that certain individuals who are in charge of hiring and/or promoting don't have racial or ethnic bias. From your post, I get the impression that you think racism does not exist or it affects everyone the same way.

I encourage you to read up on American history and review the racist laws that were passed in this country that shaped the way society views race. Perhaps you will begin to see how racism has affected the minority population in the United States. If you don't see that racism is still alive and well I can't help you understand how it affects African Americans. If you have turned a blind eye to the challenges your people face there is no reaching you. I guess if you have no faith in a higher power, right and wrong become relative terms.

Do you think that all of the problems the black community faces are self-inflicted? If so, when did blacks start acting against their own interests and why? Is it like the Aryan Nation and those people who say, blacks are just inherently immoral due to genetics, less intelligent, and violent?

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I voted Yes. Being white, i know theres a good chance if i get pulled over that the cop will be strictly business and not give me a tough time. I received a better education where i grew up then minorities did who live in Hartford which is only 10 to 15 minutes from where i live. Better education means more job opportunities

The judicial system is biased. Despite the fact that the black population is i think less then a quarter of Americas total population, there are far more blacks in prison then there are whites

If im driving through the city its possible that i might see 8 or 9 people who are hispanic or black before i see a white person. They live in a far more dangerous environment then i do

Racism and oppression do most certainly exist in America

Certainly a correctable problem. Those minority communities just have to make the changes needed for success.

"When in Rome do as the (successful) Romans do."

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I voted Yes. Being white, i know theres a good chance if i get pulled over that the cop will be strictly business and not give me a tough time.
The same for black people
I received a better education where i grew up then minorities did who live in Hartford which is only 10 to 15 minutes from where i live. Better education means more job opportunities
As a Black man, I received a better education than many poor white people I know of; better education means more job opportunities.
The judicial system is biased. Despite the fact that the black population is i think less then a quarter of Americas total population, there are far more blacks in prison then there are whites
According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, there are more white people in prison than all other races combined
BOP Statistics: Inmate Race
If im driving through the city its possible that i might see 8 or 9 people who are hispanic or black before i see a white person. They live in a far more dangerous environment then i do
Are you under the impression all black and hispanic people live that way? Or are you aware there are black and hispanic people who live in just as nice and safe neighborhoods as you live in.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The same for black people

As a Black man, I received a better education than many poor white people I know of; better education means more job opportunities.

According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, there are more white people in prison than all other races combined
BOP Statistics: Inmate Race

Are you under the impression all black and hispanic people live that way? Or are you aware there are black and hispanic people who live in just as nice and safe neighborhoods as you live in.
Do you just not believe racism exists or you think whites are discriminated against in the same manor that blacks do?

I am curious about how you grew up not noticing racism. I mean I have had crazy horrific situations thrust upon us as youngsters. You never got into hairy situations because of your race and being in the wrong place surrounded by the wrong people?

Have you ever lived in the south? I did many years ago so things may be different now but in the small town I lived in there was a black gas station and a white one. I don't know who made it that way but I was in the passenger's seat of my white roommate and people started coming out of the store and getting off the bench in the front like they were daring me to get out of the car. "If looks could kill."

You've never been in a situation like that? You really think we live in a fair non-racist country where equality abounds? You don't remember our last president calling illegal immigrants rapists and calling black people lazy? There is audio/video footage of this and he was the supposed leader of the free world. How can you deny that racism abounds in the Unites States?

Upvote 0