Does white privilege exist in the US?

Does white privilege exist in the US?

• Yes

Votes: 83 69.7%
  • No

Votes: 36 30.3%

• Total voters

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Apparently you didn't read the article. The caucus has nothing to do with race. The punchbowl gossip is nothing more than left wing propaganda trying once again to throw racism around in everything. And you fell for it again.
I did read it. Perhaps you're right. But it's telling to me that dismissing it as "gossip" is all the defense offered. No statement of what the actual platform will be or what the caucus will value.

If you have actual evidence of this large amount of racists I'd like to see this "lot more racist" evidence you have.
All I can point to is the fact that I see significantly more racism expressed publicly than I used to.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I did read it. Perhaps you're right. But it's telling to me that dismissing it as "gossip" is all the defense offered. No statement of what the actual platform will be or what the caucus will value.

All I can point to is the fact that I see significantly more racism expressed publicly than I used to.

If you are referring to the ease of access to social media platforms you probably are because people have more access to places where they can express it. Until the proliferation of the internet people could only express their views in a localized area.

There isn't any more racism now than their us ed to be. In fact I think there is less. There isn't more racism. There is less racism.

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,267.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I keep on saying the term "white privilege" does not mean you get a free ride. It is one advantage that helps, it's not a free ticket to success.

My dad lived under Jim Crow so it wasn't all that long ago. The generation that fought for freedom in the 1960's is still alive and well. My dad told me he couldn't look a white man in the eye when he was young, for fear of getting a beating that would be totally allowable because of his color. THat's not my great-great-grandparents, that's my dad and I'm not that old.

Do you think having white skin has absolutely no benefits? That black skin is preferable because of affirmative action or something? There is probably nothing that I can say that will make you see what privilege is and is not.

Race relations have gotten much better since the new millennium but there are still advantages to being white, rich, tall, attractive, smart, creative, or whatever. A privilege doesn't guarantee success but it helps.

We all know how the blackman suffered under Jim Crow. But Jim Crow is done. And was 50-60 years ago.

What can white people do that black people can't? Where can white people live that black people can't? Where can white people eat that black people can't? What job can a white person hold that a black person can't? Where is it lawful for people to discriminate against black people?
What opportunities do white people have access to that black people don't?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you are referring to the ease of access to social media platforms you probably are because people have more access to places where they can express it. Until the proliferation of the internet people could only express their views in a localized area.
I agree - I even said exactly that in an earlier post.

There isn't any more racism now than their us ed to be. In fact I think there is less. There isn't more racism. There is less racism.
Depends on when you're comparing to. Compared to the 50s and 60s? Definitely less. Compared to the late 90s/early 2000s? Dunno about that. And I didn't say that there is more racism (that's an impossible claim to support) - just that there is more racism visible. And the trouble with visible racism is that it makes other racists more comfortable with expressing their views openly. And the more people expressing racist views openly, the more people who otherwise would never have thought that way begin to internalize racist views. Nobody is born a racist - it's a learned behavior. And the more opportunities there are for people to learn it, the more likely it is that it will stick with some of them.

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The current focus on race everywhere you go is causing people to speak out against it and that get's spun into people being accused of racism. On top of that I've seen perfectly fine people get so frustrated with conversations about race that they go out of their way to say things that are MEANT to hurt...just to get people's attention. I've never been racist but I've said things online that made people accuse me of racism because the new language and speech rules, and the new definitions of "racism", have made it nearly impossible to NOT be "racist" if you aren't just parroting the latest message.

For the record, we aren't a racist country. Individual people can be racist, bigoted, or just awful people. That will never change.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
My dad lived under Jim Crow so it wasn't all that long ago. The generation that fought for freedom in the 1960's is still alive and well.

Which means the generation that fought against it is still out there as well.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟733,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
We all know how the blackman suffered under Jim Crow. But Jim Crow is done. And was 50-60 years ago.

What can white people do that black people can't? Where can white people live that black people can't? Where can white people eat that black people can't? What job can a white person hold that a black person can't? Where is it lawful for people to discriminate against black people?
What opportunities do white people have access to that black people don't?
Either you understand what racism is or you don't. You don't seem to. It takes more than 50-60 years to change the perceptions of an entire nation. Professional racism is not illegal. Do you think things stop happening when they are made illegal. No, the law was made because there is a problem and one law didn't change people's minds.

The above statement would indicate that either you don't believe racism exists or it exists but doesn't affect anyone black. Is that what you meant to imply? No racist landlords? No racist bosses? No racist judges? No racist cops? I think that's a little naive to believe.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟733,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Which means the generation that fought against it is still out there as well.
Finally, someone knows what I'm trying to explain. The entire culture of a nation doesn't change in 50 years.

Also those people who fought against it were police chiefs, judges, governors who all had and some still have a major influence in all levels of government and business.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Finally, someone knows what I'm trying to explain. The entire culture of a nation doesn't change in 50 years.

Also those people who fought against it were police chiefs, judges, governors who all had and some still have a major influence in all levels of government and business.

To be sure, at least some of them learned the error of their ways -- Even George Wallace eventually repented -- but some didn't.

What lessons did they teach their children, I wonder?

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟733,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
To be sure, at least some of them learned the error of their ways -- Even George Wallace eventually repented -- but some didn't.

What lessons did they teach their children, I wonder?
That's the question but I do know many hippies in the sixties went 180 degrees against their parent's politics. Free Love and the Vietnam protests mixed with the civil rights freedom rides made for some estranged families. There are always people holding on to the old ways and they always tend to have at least one rebellious child who goes progressive on them..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's the question but I do know many hippies in the sixties went 180 degrees against their parent's politics. Free Love and the Vietnam protests mixed with the civil rights freedom rides made for some estranged families. There are always people holding on to the old ways and they always tend to have at least one rebellious child who goes progressive on them..

True -- of course, that just means that the "woke" culture are going to have kids who....

Kind of makes you wonder what Conservatives are worried about? Patience is a virtue...

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟406,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Daily Telegraph - April 19
‘Woke weaning’ is coming to a school near you - and parents are too scared to question it

"Certain US schools are taking the sledgehammer approach to race and equality, and teachers and parents are too afraid to speak up against it

Imagine your little boy coming home from school and announcing that he is “bad” because he is white, “and that makes him racist and an oppressor”. Imagine a school where white teachers are told, as part of their strident Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (DEI) programme, that they have been guilty of “spirit-murdering” black children, a school where traditional “white” texts such as To Kill A Mockingbird and Little Women have been banned, in favour of literature with titles such as Racism, Antiracism And You, and Yaqui Delgado Wants To Kick Your A—.

Imagine a world in which “woke weaning” is the dominant educational ideology
– one you, as a parent, are too scared to question.

That world was blown wide open in a US-based exposé published on Sunday – one in which, tellingly, not a single parent from any of the schools mentioned wanted to be named. “There is a growing group of parents who are desperately unhappy with how things are going,” said the mother of one child at Harvard-Westlake in Los Angeles, the £31,000-a-year school of choice for the kids of Hollywood’s elite. “But we talk in secret.”

Upvote 0