✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Acts 10: 44-48

"While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who heard his message. All the circumcised believers who had accompanied Peter were astounded that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and exalting God.

Then Peter said, “Can anyone withhold the water to baptize these people? They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have!” So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay for a few days."

Water baptism is important but it is not God's means to save people. The Gentiles Peter preached to received the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is only for those who are born again. They were believers before they were baptised.

It is not profitable to pick a scripture and try to prove a point with it alone. Yes, it is possible to argue that water baptism saves us. Yet there are many scriptures that contradict this view. Ignoring them is foolishness.

Many false teachings arise for this reason. The prosperity teaching is one. It is obvious from an honest reading of the New Testament that being poor does not mean that the believer has no faith! It may even be the opposite. The Laodiceans were rich but were lukewarm. They were chastised, not praised.

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
1 Peter 3:21

Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you-- not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience-- through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
1 Peter 3:21

Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you-- not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience-- through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
Replace "save" with "deliver". The born again experience is not the salvation referred to in that scripture.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Replace "save" with "deliver". The born again experience is not the salvation referred to in that scripture.
Tomaeto , tomato.

sózó: to save
Original Word: σῴζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: sózó
Phonetic Spelling: (sode'-zo)
Definition: to save
Usage: I save, heal, preserve, rescue.
HELPS Word-studies
4982 sṓzō (from sōs, "safe, rescued") – properly, deliver out of danger and into safety; used principally of God rescuing believersfrom the penalty and power of sin – and into His provisions(safety).

[4982 (sṓzō) is the root of: 4990 /sōtḗr ("Savior"), 4991 /sōtēría("salvation") and the adjectival form, 4992 /sōtḗrion (what is "saved/rescued from destruction and brought into divine safety").]

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

"While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who heard his message. All the circumcised believers who had accompanied Peter were astounded that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and exalting God.

Then Peter said, “Can anyone withhold the water to baptize these people? They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have!” So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay for a few days."

Water baptism is important but it is not God's means to save people. The Gentiles Peter preached to received the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is only for those who are born again. They were believers before they were baptised.

It is not profitable to pick a scripture and try to prove a point with it alone. Yes, it is possible to argue that water baptism saves us. Yet there are many scriptures that contradict this view. Ignoring them is foolishness.

Many false teachings arise for this reason. The prosperity teaching is one. It is obvious from an honest reading of the New Testament that being poor does not mean that the believer has no faith! It may even be the opposite. The Laodiceans were rich but were lukewarm. They were chastised, not praised.
Having read the above posts, just a reminder it is faith in Jesus that saves us and not any liturgical act or rite

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

"It is not profitable to pick a scripture and try to prove a point with it alone. Yes, it is possible to argue that water baptism saves us. Yet there are many scriptures that contradict this view. Ignoring them is foolishness." Then why are you doing just that??

"Many false teachings arise for this reason. The prosperity teaching is one. It is obvious from an honest reading of the New Testament that being poor does not mean that the believer has no faith! It may even be the opposite. The Laodiceans were rich but were lukewarm. They were chastised, not praised." And what does this have to do with the subject of your post?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"It is not profitable to pick a scripture and try to prove a point with it alone. Yes, it is possible to argue that water baptism saves us. Yet there are many scriptures that contradict this view. Ignoring them is foolishness." Then why are you doing just that??

"Many false teachings arise for this reason. The prosperity teaching is one. It is obvious from an honest reading of the New Testament that being poor does not mean that the believer has no faith! It may even be the opposite. The Laodiceans were rich but were lukewarm. They were chastised, not praised." And what does this have to do with the subject of your post?
Right, salvation isn’t exclusive ‘by’ baptism but it is prescribed and normative to ‘biblically’ historic Christianity.
Therefore baptism is ‘a’ means of grace normative to the prescribed narrative of historic biblical Christianity.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How many times does this make for a thread on this same topic? Anyway, the answer is the same.

Baptism is not a guarantee of salvation. It is not taught that way by the sacramental churches any more than the ones that see the act as a mere ordinance and a gesture of obedience to God.

Upvote 0

BlessedCreator

Salvation=Obedience
Apr 14, 2020
Oregon
Visit site
✟24,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1 Peter 3:21 KJB
"The like figure whereunto even baptism does also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:"

We are saved by doing any one thing such as being baptized or repenting or believing in Jesus. But by having a good conscience toward God through obedience unto Him. If you have a good conscience toward Him, you can trust in Him (meaning to have faith).
Repentance, baptism, believing are all commandments of God that allows to you have a good conscience toward Him. These acts of obedience and applying to Christ's blood are how you receive the atonement of your sins. Once that happens and you receive God's Spirit you must continue in obedience unto Him to maintain a good conscience toward Him (enduring unto the end).

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Salvation of the soul is ONLY in receiving the Christ of God: the Lord Jesus, into our heart as such as John 14 and as all the Gospel books in the Holy Bible show. A person on their death bed can be saved though not baptized. We can have NO part in God without owning His beloved Son (see 1 Jn. 5:10-12). Baptism is rightly 'taking a stand with Jesus, the Christ, against the unbelieving world', which might in some cases be an honest exercise. If one is first baptized by a sincere desire to honor the Lord, that one must yet RECEIVE the Lord Jesus as Lord of their life and Savior of their soul to be "born again" (as John 3), and have any hope of Heaven. That is Scripture!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
OP question: Does water baptism save you? Short answer NO!

KJV Dictionary Definition - REMISSION: Forgiveness; pardon; that is, the giving up of the punishment due to a crime; as the remission of sins. Matt. 26. Heb. 9.

Heb 9:22 almost all things are by the law purged with blood; without shedding of blood is no remission.
(NOTE: Without Christ's shed blood there is NO Remission/Pardon for sins.)

Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
(NOTE: Faith placed in Christ's sin atonement provides the Pardon/Remission for sins. NOT water baptism)

Lev 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: & I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that makes an atonement for the soul.
(NOTE: It's BLOOD not water that makes atonement/reparation or expiation for sin.)

There's ONE thing that can wash sin's stain off a soul. Faith in the sinless shed blood of Christ!

Matt 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
(NOTE: John the Baptist say's Jesus will baptize you with the Holy Ghost)

Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision ""made without hands"" in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
(NOTE: The baptism of the Holy Spirit is a SPIRITUAL circumcision/covenant done without hands. Only Christ can baptize (spiritually done/without hands) with the indwelling Holy Spirit (Matt 3:11, Mk 1:1-8 & Lk 3:16)

Deut 30:6 (A) The LORD thy God ""will circumcise thine heart"".

Rom 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and ""circumcision is that of the heart"", ""in the spirit"", and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.
(NOTE: God's chosen people undergo a "spiritual circumcision of the heart". Only Christ can preform salvations/sealing baptism with God's indwelling Holy Spirit. (Eph 1:13, 2 Cor 1:22 & Eph 4:30)

Col 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
(NOTE: Forgiveness of sins are realized thru Christ's sin atoning sacrifice)

1 Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
(NOTE: It's the blood of Jesus Christ his Son washes us from all sin)

Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
(NOTE: It's Christ who loved us that washes us from our sins in his own blood)

Water baptism doesn't remiss/pardon/forgive sin, repentance doesn't remiss/pardon sin, obedience doesn't remiss/pardon sin, sabbath observance doesn't remiss/pardon sin, tithing doesn't remiss/pardon sin etc.

Emblem = A symbolic representation of a particular quality or concept:

Water baptism is an emblem: An outwardly visible expression of our indwelling Spiritual Baptism. (1 Cor 3:16, 6:19, 2 Cor 6:16, 2 Tim 1:14, Gal 4:6, Rom 8:9,11,15). Spiritual baptism is ""preformed without hands"" by Christ & Christ alone.

Salvation is accessed/seized: By grace thru faith (Rom 5:1-2, Eph 2:8). Faith placed in Christ's faithful, obedient redemptive work: Found in Jesus death (sins required wage PAID) burial (proof Jesus died) & resurrection (the Father's receipt, payment received & accepted). Is the only way anyone's sins are remissed/pardoned/forgiven!

All the credit, glory, praise & honor belong, to our great God & Savior, Jesus the Christ!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am a sinner and I think I will never be saves because I went against God's will.

There is no reason that you can't be saved! We were all sinners at one point. God forgives sin because Jesus paid the price for ALL SIN FOR ALL TIME.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Water baptism isnt necessary for salvation. There's a doctrine of baptisms,..." (Heb 6:2). There are 3 baptisms:

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus is the baptism for salvation. Baptized into the body of Christ by believing in His death, burial, and resurrection.
(Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13: Acts 2:38: Gal 3:27, +++)
When we become believers then we are sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise. "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise," Eph 1:13

Water and Spirit baptism follows - not required for salvation- not in a set order following salvation:
2 - By another believer (water baptism) (Matt 28:19, Matt 3:16 Philip with the eunuch "...when they were come up out of the water..." Acts 8:39.

3 - By Jesus with or into The Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) Believers already have the Holy Spirit but this baptism endures us with power for service. (Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; John 1:33, Acts 1:5, 8:14-17, 10:44-48, 11:16; I Cor 12:13, Luk 24:49, Eph 5:18, Acts 4:31; I John 3:24; Eze 36:25-28; John 14:25-27).

"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

b4jesustoday

Aug 15, 2020
Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
Baptism!

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Matt 28:19 ( Disciples by baptism not faith alone)

Mk 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Mark 16:16 he who believes and is baptized shall be saved!

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism)

John 4:4 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.(Baptism)

Acts 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Romans 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Romans 6:3

Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

1 Corinthians 12:13

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27

For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Ephesians 4:5
One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Colossians 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (baptism)

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!

(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)

(Outside the ark and the church there is no salvation!)

Upvote 0