Does the Right At All Seek to Understand the Left?

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Back around the time Trump was elected, there was plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth on the left, with a common refrain being "How did this happen?!?"

One of the usual responses was to paint all Trump supporters as a bunch of racist, misogynistic, homophobic deplorables, but fortunately, some of the more reasonable among us spent a fair amount of energy trying to argue that no, Trump supporters aren't all racists, and that there were a lot of complicated issues at play. For all the finger pointing at Republicans, there was still a non-trivial amount of self-reflection going on among Democrats, trying to articulate how we missed out on a significant chunk of the population.

But in reading the various articles that either came out or were revived in the wake of the election, I realized that I couldn't ever recall a time at which I'd seen a similar sentiment on the right. Granted, I don't read much conservative media these days, but I used to be fairly far right, listened to Limbaugh for years, and voted for W at least the first time (can't remember 2004 - I might've skipped it). Most of my family is still pretty solidly conservative, too.

So... Is it out there and I've just missed it? Is there any part of the right wing that is actually interested in learning what makes liberals tick, what makes certain policies appeal to them?

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So... Is it out there and I've just missed it? Is there any part of the right wing that is actually interested in learning what makes liberals tick, what makes certain policies appeal to them?
Absolutely. Steven Crowder (CRTV) and Glenn Beck (TheBlaze) are but two examples of folks on the "right" who spend considerable time discussing with liberals and allowing them to fully articulate their viewpoints.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's not much to learn. They won't talk. All they do is scream and try to shut down others.
If you have a point, you really need to calmly express it, otherwise the conclusion I just gave is the only one to find.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely. Steven Crowder (CRTV) and Glenn Beck (TheBlaze) are but two examples of folks on the "right" who spend considerable time discussing with liberals and allowing them to fully articulate their viewpoints.
So if there is all that reasoned understanding of Liberals, why doesn't any of it show up in this forum?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So if there is all that reasoned understanding of Liberals, why doesn't any of it show up in this forum?
Are you expecting conservatives to articulate viewpoints they don't agree with? Seriously?

Do you articulate viewpoints you disagree with?

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, that is not "talking." Just letting someone rant is not discussion. Democrats bring everything to a screeching (screaming) halt at any point where their views are not totally accepted and agreed with.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There's not much to learn. They won't talk. All they do is scream and try to shut down others.
If you have a point, you really need to calmly express it, otherwise the conclusion I just gave is the only one to find.

I'm here, talking. There are numerous other people around here, talking. Here's your chance.

No, that is not "talking." Just letting someone rant is not discussion. Democrats bring everything to a screeching (screaming) halt at any point where their views are not totally accepted and agreed with.

So far, you're the only one in this thread outright accusing the other side of anything. Please don't derail this thread.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Politically I'm libertarian so i likely don't count as my husband likes to say, I'm so far to the right I wrap back around to the left.. lol..

However, no.. not even I understand the democratic liberals. They no longer have any point other than a very strong desire to bring this country under the banner of communism of one form or another and a willingness to do anything to get there.

Every thing that was ever truly liberal about the party is gone, from observation, and I have zero desire to delve into the why.. the only 'why' I can imagine from any of it is that they never had to actually live through any of the crazy things they are pushing for..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Back around the time Trump was elected, there was plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth on the left, with a common refrain being "How did this happen?!?"

One of the usual responses was to paint all Trump supporters as a bunch of racist, misogynistic, homophobic deplorables, but fortunately, some of the more reasonable among us spent a fair amount of energy trying to argue that no, Trump supporters aren't all racists, and that there were a lot of complicated issues at play. For all the finger pointing at Republicans, there was still a non-trivial amount of self-reflection going on among Democrats, trying to articulate how we missed out on a significant chunk of the population.

But in reading the various articles that either came out or were revived in the wake of the election, I realized that I couldn't ever recall a time at which I'd seen a similar sentiment on the right. Granted, I don't read much conservative media these days, but I used to be fairly far right, listened to Limbaugh for years, and voted for W at least the first time (can't remember 2004 - I might've skipped it). Most of my family is still pretty solidly conservative, too.

The hand-wringing is almost pathological, to be honest. There is no deep secret to Trump's support, even if the truth is unpleasant to confront.

At least in this political moment, with the Right in the US dominated by religious fundamentalists and despisers of high culture, the lack of intellectual curiosity is just part of the package. So no, I don't think the average conservative knows much about the Left or progressives in the US, beyond crude stereotypes.

At least on the "Religious Left", there are a fair number very familiar with conservatives, having come from that kind of background themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
For the record, I relish the opportunities to have actual discussions with liberals on this forum. There are a few regulars here who will engage in genuine discussion rather than hit-and-run posting.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Media has become very polarized ... on both sides.

You have to find people who aren't just satisfied to repeat their sides major talking points. Too much of the electorate is content to simply parrot their side's major talking points without really applying any personal investigation (of the facts) ... or consideration of other points.

It can be a challenge.

I think that we have to come back to a point where we believe it is important that we all (i.e. Americans) win, ... rather than just my side.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Understand, yes. Condone, no.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

You ironically demonstrate his point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm here, talking. There are numerous other people around here, talking. Here's your chance.

So far, you're the only one in this thread outright accusing the other side of anything. Please don't derail this thread.
You ironically demonstrate his point.
Why just open another door to more screaming? It never changes.

The left screams "No wall", and when shown actual video of illegals waltzing across open borders Democrats just bury their heads and pretend it is just fine.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The irony of your posts get thicker and thicker.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The irony of your posts get thicker and thicker.
Your not even addressing him. When do you come to realize the constant goading is the problem? Stop picking on him and voice your opinion openly and definitively so it can be questioned. Then we can understand.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Why just open another door to more screaming? It never changes.

The left screams "No wall", and when shown actual video of illegals waltzing across open borders Democrats just bury their heads and pretend it is just fine.
So how do you categorize those on the left who are appalled by the video but realize that Trump's wall is not the most effective way of closing the border?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It's seems to me people are being manipulated by both parties and also by the news medias teaming up likewise. "Teams" are formed, rather than sticking to the issues looking for mutual resolves. Wear "this jersey" and you have to be like this ..
It's a game .... a real sick game ... sadly ... and as we see leads to name calling and violence. Yeah ... well that's just a wonderful road to go down. Let's all go down the road of destruction that will certainly be productive.

Probably won't end well. Time will tell.

Sad, very very sad.

• Prayers
Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0