Does the Book of Revelation repeat itself?

shepherdsword

ישוע הוא אלוהים בבשר ודם
Feb 6, 2021
Millington
✟14,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Let's compare two texts:
Ge 41:32
And for that the dream was doubled unto Pharaoh twice; it is because the thing is established by God, and God will shortly bring it to pass.

We know with some certainty that Pharaoh's dream's combined two different sets of symbols to signify the same thing. The 7 fat and 7 lean cows signified the same famine as the 7 fat and 7 weak wheat sheaves. What if this is true of the trumpet and vial judgements?

Rv 1:1
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

What if the visions of the trumpets and vials are the same thing? Lets compare:

1st Trumpet=hail and fire cast upon the earth
1st Vail= poured upon the earth

2nd Trumpet= a great mountain cast into the sea (1/3 killed by blood)
2nd Vail= poured upon the sea (every living soul killed by bloody water)

3rd Trumpet=a great star fell upon the fresh water (1/3 bitter waters killed many
3rd Vial= Wormwood cast on the fresh water (all fresh water becomes as blood)

4th Trumpet = darkness on1/3 of the moon, stars and Sun
4th Vial= men scorched by fire from the Sun

5th Trumpet= Angel of the abyss/smoke from the abyss brings darkness
5th Vial- the seat of the beast covered with Darkness

6th Trumpet=200,000 horsemen from the Euphrates
6th Vial= The kings of the east invade from the Euphrates

7h Trumpet the resurrection of the dead and the Lord's return and an earthquake
7th Vial = voices, lightning and a great earthquake

Could it be that the Trumpet judgments give a global perspective (hence 1/3) and the Vial judgements give a middle east perspective (hence ALL) ?
I understand that there are some details that appear to contradict this. However we must consider this. God sent a mighty angel in Rev 10 that raised his hand and SWORE that the mystery of God would be finished at the sounding of the 7th trumpet. Yet we only hear it is finished at the 7th vial.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: David's Harp

tranquil

Sep 29, 2011
with Charlie at the Chocolate Factory
✟273,648.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's compare two texts:
And for that the dream was doubled unto Pharaoh twice; it is because the thing is established by God, and God will shortly bring it to pass.

We know with some certainty that Pharaoh's dream's combined two different sets of symbols to signify the same thing. The 7 fat and 7 lean cows signified the same famine as the 7 fat and 7 weak wheat sheaves. What if this is true of the trumpet and vial judgements?

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

3rd Trumpet=a great star fell upon the fresh water (1/3 bitter waters killed many

Could it be that the Trumpet judgments give a global perspective (hence 1/3) and the Vial judgements give a middle east perspective (hence ALL) ?
I understand that there are some details that appear to contradict this. However we must consider this. God sent a mighty angel in Rev 10 that raised his hand and SWORE that the mystery of God would be finished at the sounding of the 7th trumpet. Yet we only hear it is finished at the 7th vial.
Thoughts?

The Seals, Trumpets, and Bowls are in a sequence, not at all once!

The 2nd Trumpet

Rev 8:9 A third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

the 2nd Bowl is

Rev 16:3 The second angel poured out his bowl into the sea, and it became like the blood of a corpse, and every living thing died that was in the sea.

Doesn't look the same, does it?

I understand that there are some details that appear to contradict this.

Never let evidence stop you from believing whatever you want to believe.

The first 4 Trumpets are not 33% per se, it means that it is the first of 3 times Babylon is destroyed. That's why in Rev 18 they are lamenting Babylon 3 times. The 1st time is at the start of the Trumpets, the 2nd is at the 6th Trumpet, and the 3rd is at the Bowls of wrath.

• Agree
Reactions: keras
Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let's compare two texts:

Thoughts?

Right or wrong I think it's a brilliant idea! ;) I think many of us have seen the similarities. However, I've come up with notions like, maybe one is more universal across the earth, and the other more local to Europe, where Antichrist is apparently seated?

But yea, the way you put it sounds very reasonable. There is a constant use of dualisms throughout Scripture, and this could be one of them. It's like the Holy Spirit knows we never get things in one go, and so He helps us by stating things in two different ways or two different times. Thanks for the interesting thought.

• Friendly
Reactions: shepherdsword
Upvote 0

shepherdsword

ישוע הוא אלוהים בבשר ודם
Feb 6, 2021
Millington
✟14,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Seals, Trumpets, and Bowls are in a sequence, not at all once!

The 2nd Trumpet

Rev 8:9 A third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

the 2nd Bowl is

Rev 16:3 The second angel poured out his bowl into the sea, and it became like the blood of a corpse, and every living thing died that was in the sea.

Doesn't look the same, does it?

This is the exact point I made about perspective. A mountain doesn't look the same from 10 miles away as it does from 10 feet

Never let evidence stop you from believing whatever you want to believe.

It be be helpful it you would actually examine the evidence instead of hurling an insult. Can you explain why the angel in chapter 10 raised his hand and swore the mystery of God would be finished at the sound of the 7th trump but we don't see "it is done" until the 7th vial? Let's look at what happens at the 7th Trumpet

Rv 11:15-18
And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever. And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God,Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

It says that God's wrath has already come. It says that the dead will be judged. It says the Godley will be rewarded. It sure likes this wraps things up for me. This would mean that the vails are just repeats...just like the cattle were a repeat of the sheaves in Pharaoh's dream

The first 4 Trumpets are not 33% per se, it means that it is the first of 3 times Babylon is destroyed. That's why in Rev 18 they are lamenting Babylon 3 times. The 1st time is at the start of the Trumpets, the 2nd is at the 6th Trumpet, and the 3rd is at the Bowls of wrath.

This is non sequitur. It doesn't follow at all. The text clearly states 1/3rd(33%). The trumpet judgements have nothing to do with the destruction of Babylon. It doesn't make sense that you can completely destroy something three times. It there some rebuilding of Babylon twice in the text that I am missing?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shepherdsword

ישוע הוא אלוהים בבשר ודם
Feb 6, 2021
Millington
✟14,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Right or wrong I think it's a brilliant idea! ;) I think many of us have seen the similarities. However, I've come up with notions like, maybe one is more universal across the earth, and the other more local to Europe, where Antichrist is apparently seated?

But yea, the way you put it sounds very reasonable. There is a constant use of dualisms throughout Scripture, and this could be one of them. It's like the Holy Spirit knows we never get things in one go, and so He helps us by stating things in two different ways or two different times. Thanks for the interesting thought.

Hi Randy,
I am not sure if it is right or wrong either. I think it answers the fact that the chapter 10 angel was sent to swear that the mystery of God would be done at the sound of the 7th trumpet. (see my response to "tranquil" above)

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Let's compare two texts:

Thoughts?
Hi shepherdsword. Funnily enough, I was just thinking of the differences in the creation account between Genesis 1 and 2 this morning. Maybe there's something similar going on here in the narrative; but I wouldn't say so for sure, as I feel it's above my level of understanding at the moment.
Thanks for bringing it up.

Reactions: shepherdsword
Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's compare two texts:

Thoughts?

Whenever the first trumpet is meaning, we have to take into account that the first vial of wrath is being poured out on those that have the mark of the beast. Which means, assuming your proposal, they have to already have the mark before the first trumpet sounds. But when you look at the 5th trumpet, it is not until then that the pit is opened. In order to have the mark this means that the beast has to have ascended out of the pit and fully operational before the first trumpet sounds, in order for what you are proposing, to be feasible.

Personally, I can't see the beast being already out of the pit and fully operational before the 1st trumpet sounds. I know Amils probably can, except I'm not an Amil.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Randy,
I am not sure if it is right or wrong either. I think it answers the fact that the chapter 10 angel was sent to swear that the mystery of God would be done at the sound of the 7th trumpet. (see my response to "tranquil" above)

Yes, I agree. Both the 7 trumpets and the 7 vials take us to the 2nd Coming. It makes perfect sense to see them as either a 2nd example or at the very least complementary.

This is why some years back I stopped looking at Revelation as strictly sequential. The only thing that is sequential in the Revelation is the overall narrative, as well as the narrative in each individual vision. Many of the visions do seem to repeat the same scenario for different purposes.

But I really like how you describe this as similar to the two dreams of Joseph. Everything is to be confirmed by 2 witnesses, right? :)

I'm not saying you aced it because I'm sure you're right. I'm saying you aced it as a proposal, which again, I think was looking beyond popular opinions to biblical precedents. Thanks much!

Upvote 0

Chris Thomas Shepherd

Jul 24, 2022
Pacific Northwest
✟19,274.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's compare two texts:

Thoughts?
My belief is that the Trumpets represent the event (eg: volcanic eruption, earthquake, meteor strike ...) whereas the vial contain the aftermath of the event (poisoned oceans, acid burns, famine, starvation, volcanic winter...).

Reactions: Jamdoc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shepherdsword

ישוע הוא אלוהים בבשר ודם
Feb 6, 2021
Millington
✟14,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My belief is that the Trumpets represent the event (eg: volcanic eruption, earthquake, meteor strike ...) whereas the vial contain the aftermath of the event (poisoned oceans, acid burns, famine, starvation, volcanic winter...).
Some see the first four trumpets as being connected to one event. example. 1st trumpet denote the precursors to a major asteroid strike...mini fireballs falling from the sky. The 2nd is a part of the meteor striking the sea, the 3rd is it striking the earth and the 4th is the darkening of the atmosphere due to the resulting dust clouds. The thing is...I don't think we will know for absolute certainty until it has actually happened. It's just fun to discuss it :hug:

Reactions: Jamdoc
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Let's compare two texts:

Thoughts?

Yes, I don't know if the trumpets and vials are the exact same thing I lean towards no, but they happen together during the same time period. Revelation resets its Chronology in chapter 12 (after the 7th trumpet when the mystery of God is finished) and tells basically the same time period with different details.

what you see is a pattern, of mankind doing things, eventually persecuting the saints, the Day of the Lord where Jesus appears on the clouds, the saints in heaven, and then the wrath of God (the trumpets and bowls/vials) and establishing of the Kingdom of Christ on Earth.

Revelation 6 6th seal shows the signs that Jesus gave in Matthew 24:29-30, and Matthew 24:31 describes the rapture, what happens after the 6th seal? Saints in heaven. Then the wrath of God, and ushering in of Christ's kingdom on Earth at the end.
Revelation 14 has warnings about the mark of the beast, so we know the Mark of the beast is happening, then Jesus on the clouds, then the wrath of God, the wrath of God being the vials in Revelation 15, also the saints are in heaven, having overcome the mark of the beast (in Revelation 7 they overcome great tribulation, which would have to be the first 5 seals most specifically the 5th).

The 144k are a repeated detail as well.
also in Revelation 11:15, Jesus strips authority for Himself
Revelation 13:2, Satan has authority to give to the beast.

Either Jesus' first act as King of Earth is giving authority back to Satan, or Revelation 13 happens before Revelation 11:15. I'm gonna go with the latter.

So yes, Revelation is not chapter 1-22 in Chronological order.
nor is it a lot of "flash forwards"
It's 2 parallel visions of the same period of time.

also, as another poster had mentioned, I hadn't thought of it being like Pharaoh's dreams previously but that's an incredible connection and consistent.
That God would show 2 visions of the same event, to make it clear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Those aren't remotely the same. Theory falls apart.

The trumps are not the same as the vials. They also don't happen at the same times, except the 7th trump where all the vials begin to pour so there is the same language written about the 7th trump and the 7th vial because it's all the same day but not for the previous 6 trumps.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Those aren't remotely the same. Theory falls apart.

The trumps are not the same as the vials. They also don't happen at the same times, except the 7th trump where all the vials begin to pour so there is the same language written about the 7th trump and the 7th vial because it's all the same day but not for the previous 6 trumps.

Where are you getting this idea that the vials are poured out on the day of the 7th trumpet?

Not to mention
the 7th trumpet is more than 1 day
Revelation 10
7 But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Where are you getting this idea that the vials are poured out on the day of the 7th trumpet?

The vials are full of the wrath of God and Rev 11 tells us the wrath of God comes at the 7th trump.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The 6th seals describes events of the 7th trump. Again, the time of God's wrath.

Nothing supernatural or "act of God" about the first 5 seals.
Seal 1: world conquered without war, men
Seal 2: wars and violence, men
Seal 3: economic collapse and famine that appears to be manufactured, men
Seal 4: war between "beasts of the earth" (Daniel and Revelation talking about beasts refers to gentile empires, or the men who control them), men
Seal 5: persecution, men

compared to
Trumpet 1: fire and hail and blood raining from the sky... men can't cause that
Trumpet 2: mountain on fire falling into the sea and turning 1/3 of the waters to blood, men can't cause that
Trumpet 3: asteroid impact, unless you mean something like the asteroid deflection thing that NASA recently did... men wouldn't cause that because that's suicidal, you can't even have hopes to limit that as use as a weapon
Trumpet 4: darkened skies, and it's talking about attacking the sun, I mean men could darken the skies with a nuclear war theoretically, and that could be the 4th seal, but that's as close to any of these come to any of the seals.
Trumpet 5: demons unleashed from the Abyss, how are men going to cause that?
Trumpet 6: another demonic army, 200 million is logistically impossible for men.

In fact the seals could all be said to be restraints placed on men, the first 4 on men in general from creating a global government (and the calamities that would be needed to create one), the 5th on the man of sin, and the 6th and 7th on the Son of Man, the sixth to return to Earth and gather the elect, the seventh to send fire on the earth ("and what will I, if it be already kindled?")

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It is my belief that these three , the 6th seal, 7th trumpet and 7th vial, overlap and happen simultaneously at the return of Christ.

How can the 7th trump happen at the same time of the 6th seal when no angels has a trumpet until after the 7th seal?

Rev 8:1 And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.
Rev 8:2 And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to them were given seven trumpets.

Upvote 0