Does study ruin the game?

Mar 13, 2009
✟7,675.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's the whole point of chess... if you hate studying it, why else would you play?

You both are talking two different angles.

Chess is different for some people. Some take it really seriously and some don't. It depends on your mindset and of course good players come from both aspects.

Sometimes I like to have fun and do crazy moves and it builds my thinking skills because of course crazy moves leave you vulnerable, so you have to work hard to think how you can still achieve dominance in the game.

Studying moves and opening strategies can be fun, but it is not really original thinking, so it may seem systematic and assembly line processed, so it may not be fun for some people. While for others, it may be fun because it can help them achieve dominance in the game better than if they were left to their own wits.

It really depends on the player. I like to play against all kinds.:wave:

Upvote 0

Shabby

Shabby-dabby-doo
Oct 18, 2006
Sacramento, CA
✟18,595.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Chess is different for some people. Some take it really seriously and some don't. It depends on your mindset and of course good players come from both aspects.

There aren't "good" players that don't study the game. You can't even really be mediocre at chess with out at least studying basic strategy.

Charlie said:
Studying moves and opening strategies can be fun, but it is not really original thinking

You have obviously not studied many opening strategies and lines, because it is all about original thinking.

Upvote 0

Breckmin

Sep 23, 2008
Gresham, OR USA
✟17,883.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think studying strategies is okay, but so is creating your own tactics :)

Can you "create" your own tactics nowadays? With all of the 1000's of
GM's and IM's in history, I'm pretty sure your tactic has probably been
played before. Since chess is finite, all of the moves you could play
actually already mathematically exist before you play them. A subjective
advanced player often gives the appearance of being original, but the
days of Bobby Fischer are currently limited to "style" IMHO, since there is
really nothing new under the sun.

There may be original positions that have never been played before,
but the tactics are less original once you see 10's of thousands of
them over and over. Kasparov already played most of them.:)

Clearly this is not a perfect statement and will suffer much disagreement
among the various chess players at all different levels.... My point is
that the more tactics you see played, the less room there is for
original themes.

Upvote 0

Breckmin

Sep 23, 2008
Gresham, OR USA
✟17,883.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I enjoy chess for the fun of it, but to study common opening moves and other strategies seems to take away from the game if you ask me. How do you guys feel about it?

Chess is like anything else...if you want to become a better boxer you
have to study and improve your technique. If you want to become a
better tennis player or a table tennis player you have to work on your
game and work on your weaknesses.

To become a stronger chess player - it is good to have a chess coach
who is at least 500 points higher rated than yourself.

Studying chess gives you the ability to play stronger moves and win
against stronger players.

If you want to WIN more often and win against stronger players then
studying becomes rewarding when you improve your game.

Do you want to improve your game? If not, then just play.

Upvote 0

ReallyOrnery

Mar 6, 2010
Newton County, Arkansas
✟15,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
aigiqinf:

Chess is a tactical game. By studying the openings and strategies developed by more advanced players, you develop the ability to foresee moves made by your opponent -- and to counter them before s/he uses them to devastate your defenses and thwart your ability to win the game. Napoleon said it best: A smart man learns from his own mistakes, while a wise man learns from the mistakes of others. You do yourself a disservice by not learning all that you can about the game of kings.

RO

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ReallyOrnery

Mar 6, 2010
Newton County, Arkansas
✟15,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
azure2s:

There is nothing new under the sun, especially when it comes to chess. The tactics you feel are unique to you have, no doubt, been catagorized and studied to death over decades of time before you or I were ever born. This is why studying openings and strategies is important -- it saves the newer players time without experiencing the defeats of going it alone without some form of eductation in basic chessmanship.

As an analogy, would you expect an army second lieutenant to know more about fighting a war than a four-star general? Learn from the generals of chess rather than ignoring their sage advice on how to win a game of chess.

RO

Upvote 0

chiefhighliner

Believer and Author
Jul 7, 2011
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I enjoy chess for the fun of it, but to study common opening moves and other strategies seems to take away from the game if you ask me. How do you guys feel about it?

I think you know the answer to your query. If you stop studying, you stop learning. If you stop learning, then you'll never advance. It's that simple.

Even a 1900 player can learn things once in a while. Or even a grandmaster. It's when you think you know "enough" about opening moves that leads to complacency, and sometimes that complacency can lead to embarrassing losses and oversights that should have been corrected.
:cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums