Visit site
✟11,055.00
Faith
Christian
YouTube Channel Video Devo

“Be Still: Let God Speak”
Psalm 46:10a NLT
Be still and know that I am God.

Last week, for our small Bible group study, we were looking at the idea of asking God to speak to us. This passage was used and it’s a powerful passage with only a few words.

How often do we carve time out of our day to just be still and do absolutely nothing? Through our study, we were encouraged and had discussion about taking time to be quiet and do nothing. We discussed how we so often take so much time each day to surround ourselves with noise. There’s even times we will come to God and bring Him our requests and petitions. We pray for others and ourselves. This is all good, but when was the last time we just came before Him and did……NOTHING? When was the last time we sat down with God and just…..listened?

The other day, I was taking a walk by myself and talking to God. I kept saying, “God, I want You to speak to me”, but then I kept walking and started talking again. I kept saying that I was sorry and I wanted to hear from Him. Yet, I kept thinking of things to talk about. It was hard to just be quiet and listen. It seems our minds are not programmed well to stop and just listen.

When was the last time you sat down and just listened to someone and didn’t say a word until after the person stopped talking? How about a family member or friend that needed to “bend an ear”? Did you take the time to listen and not say anything to interrupt? It’s hard, isn’t it? We’re not at all accustomed to just taking time to listen.

In our small group study, we were studying about 1 Samuel 3 where Samuel was called by God to listen and confront Eli. Samuel said, “Speak God, for Your servant is listening”. Can we be like Samuel who seriously asked God to speak to him?

In our small group time, I shared how I’ve kept a consistent daily devotional time during the work week every morning. However, as much as I enjoy that time each day, I was convicted that I so often just spew words out each day, asking God for this and that, but hardly ever just sit and listen. It’s hard. I have so much on my mind to bring to Him. Again, nothing at all wrong with bringing prayers to God, but we also need to take time to just listen to Him. He will speak to us in some way, but are we quiet long enough to actually just listen?

I want to challenge all of us this week and weeks beyond to carve time out of our day to take time to just listen to God somewhere quiet. Let’s be challenged to take on this challenge of “Be Still: Let God Speak”.

Reactions: Joseph G