Does morality exist without God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insane_Duck

Because ducks are just awesome like that.
May 29, 2011
✟1,763.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Unpossible

Said contraction still needs a cause.

You mean, like, God? ^_^
1. No, it's very possible. Almost every cosmologist out there disagrees with you.
2. Not really, there could be an eternal force that causes eternal expansions and contractions.
3. Like I said (if you had read my other post) God is on par with trillions of other examples. Once you say he's outside of time and space he no longer has to be a God. See computer example above. (other page)

Upvote 0

Insane_Duck

May 29, 2011
✟1,763.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
At the quantum level 'Something' and 'Nothing' are not meaningful concepts.
But to answer to your question here its all yours:
af18496feb13466110d12e35d616927d.png
I gave up on trying to explain Quantum Mechanics to answer the Cosmological argument a while ago. Quantum Mechanics (and the concepts thereof) are very hard to teach quickly...

Upvote 0

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Not so fast there! You just said the Universe is infinite, at least in one direction of time; backwards.

All I agreed to was that all we know of comes from prior matter and energy. So, if that poses a problem of infinite regression, that's not my fault. I'm just (re)stating the fact that nothing we have ever observed comes from anything other than matter and energy bound by the laws of this universe.

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You mean, like, GOD.
Yes, like God. Or, alternatively, something very different from God. God is just one possibility, and a small one at that given all the other associated attributes.

Upvote 0

Insane_Duck

May 29, 2011
✟1,763.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You mean, like, GOD.
... If you had read my post, you would know why God doesn't take precedence over trillions of other ideas. See computer program example.

Are you being willfully ignorant?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, like God. Or, alternatively, something very different from God. God is just one possibility, and a small one at that given all the other associated attributes.

While I certainly don't believe either, I'm fond of two hypothesis about the origin of the universe:

One's that a scientist in another universe caused a horrific lab accident which tore open their universe and caused this one. The other is that a god (perhaps the only one, perhaps not, but the only one which is relevant) committed suicide, and the physical universe is composed of the remnants of Its body. (Now that I think about it, it wouldn't have to be suicide, if there were multiple gods fighting.)

Both involve a conscious creator--one a naturally evolved mortal and the other a diety-- but in neither does the creator have any influence on the physics or morality of the universe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
While I certainly don't believe either, I'm fond of two hypothesis about the origin of the universe:

One's that a scientist in another universe caused a horrific lab accident which tore open their universe and caused this one. The other is that a god (perhaps the only one, perhaps not, but the only one which is relevant) committed suicide, and the physical universe is composed of the remnants of Its body. (Now that I think about it, it wouldn't have to be suicide, if there were multiple gods fighting.)

Both involve a conscious creator--one a naturally evolved mortal and the other a diety-- but in neither does the creator have any influence on the physics or morality of the universe.
I like the universe-is-the-corpse-of-God - it has a very Dungeons and Dragons-y feel to it :p Maybe the decaying mind of God is what gives rise to the myriad of mini-conciousnesses that is the human race?

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course morality can occur without religion. Morality varies from people to people, there are good-natured atheists, as well as bad-natured religious.

Ok, who's the wise guy? Any more common sense in here, and I'll be forced to report your posts! ^_^ It's gotta be against some rule for this sub-forum ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToHoldNothing

May 26, 2010
✟2,108.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I like the universe-is-the-corpse-of-God - it has a very Dungeons and Dragons-y feel to it :p Maybe the decaying mind of God is what gives rise to the myriad of mini-conciousnesses that is the human race?

I'm reminded of at least two mythologies where the creation of the universe/world is the result of killing a God; 1 being norse mythos where Ymir is killed and his corpse becomes the majority of the universe, excluding a few basic chaotic things. So technically he created the worlds, not the universe itself. 2nd is Babylonian mythology where Tiamat is killed and her body becomes the heavens and the earth, though technically again, she came from/represents primordial chaos, so it's ambivalent exactly what was created from her corpse. There's probably more, I just forget, and I don't have my creation myths text handy

Upvote 0

ToHoldNothing

May 26, 2010
✟2,108.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Because being moral doesn't matter as much as being righteous...which implies that morality's secondary nature to righteousness can therefore be violated to the greater cause of righteousness before God; i.e. killing children, and violating other lesser commandments as long as you love God and love your neighbor. Just makes me terribly unnerved to think people believe that in some shape or form. Perhaps I misunderstand, but then again, ethics is a troubling thing in general when you get into God's relation to it

Upvote 0

AGODBELIEVERlove1stfaith2

SEEK AND YOU WILL FIND TRUTH - THE BIBLE IS TRUTH
Supporter
Jul 7, 2010
BERMUDA
Visit site
✟50,602.00
Country
Bermuda
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
stop

is it necessary

Ok, who's the wise guy? Any more common sense in here, and I'll be forced to report your posts! ^_^ It's gotta be against some rule for this sub-forum ...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.