Does Jesus NOT know the day of his future second coming????

Does even Jesus NOT know exactly when he will return to the earth?

• No... Jesus knows everything.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Yes... that is what Jesus clearly said!

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • What??????? That sounds really strange to me!

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@ewq1938 -- please remember, you have to bear in mind, that the actual inspired language was 1st century Greek (not 21st century modern English). Please acknowledge, yes?

John 1:1, following the Greek LXX OT convention, refers to the Person of The Father as "the God" (ton Theon), and the Person of the [Father's] Word as "Godly" (Theos):
upload_2019-11-23_17-10-21.png

Revelation 21:7 likewise refers to the incarnate Word [of the Father] Jesus Christ as "Theos" (Godly / Godlike / God by nature & essence)...but not by the term "ton Theos" (the God) reserved only for The Father:

Only The Father = "ton Theon" (the God)

I renew my challenge to the entire CF community -- exactly precisely zero times in the Greek OT or NT will anyone ever find The Father referred to as "Theos", or His Word or His Spirit referred to as "ton Theon".

If that is not true, post the screen capture from the Apostolic Bible Polyglot...

So far, I've posted screen captures from two verses. I'm up 2-0.

But I don't have special access to the ABP, and anyone anywhere is welcome to investigate and try to find counter-examples...

for which I'm (still) waiting...

Meanwhile, in case anyone is counting...

"ton Theon" (tau omicron nu Theta epsilon omicron nu) and "Theos" (Theta epsilon omicron sigma) differ by more Greek letters (4) than they have shared in common (3)...

different phrases / words / letters signify different things

please acknowledge? Similar doesn't mean exactly precisely the same, yes?

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
How about we (try to) speak the original inspired language, 1st century AD Greek?

I challenge you (two pairs of eyes are better than one), throughout the whole entire Greek LXX OT & NT, the original Greek is 100.000% consistent:
  • the Father = ton Theon (the God)
  • Word / Spirit = Theos (Godly, Godlike, God-by-nature-and-essence-but-not-by-Person)
If you find an exception, anywhere in the Greek OT-NT, please point it out to me.

Saint Irenaeus clarified this. "The Father" is the One True God, His Word & His Spirit are His "two hands" with which he interacts with creation.
  • "His hands" are fully Divine / Godly / Godlike...
  • Transcendent / beyond creation / eternal / beyond space-and-time...
But only the Father is utterly completely totally wholly entirely 100% uncaused, being The First Prime Cause of philosophy (Kalam)

The Father generates His Word ("begetting") and His Spirit ("spiration")

It's like you and your hands vs. everything you make with your hands. No one can compare either you or your hands to any of the things you make. You and your hands are a completely separate category / class / league. You, however, are ultimately in charge of everything.

Even the Angels are created beings, fashioned within our creation space-time fabric through the action of God's Word (and maybe perhaps animated by God's Spirit, or something like that). Not even the Angels can be compared to any member of the Godhead, all three Persons of which are fully Divine / Godly / Godlike by nature. No other entity is "Divine", "Godly / Godlike" by nature. And, also, only The Father is the ultimate source of everything, the root of even the rest of the Godhead:

"One God, [the] Father, uncreated, invisible, Creator of all, above whom there is no other, after whom there is no other God. And as God is verbal, therefore, He made created things by the [His] Word…"

Saint Irenaeus, Proof of the Apostolic Preaching 5

I am listening to an exceptional Christian near death experience right now whose book I have got to get because he talks about how the Word of God verifies his experience rather than the other way around.

Dead 2 Hours, visits Heaven! - Dean Braxton

•Oct 10, 2014

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think he humbled himself, emptied himself "for the suffering of death" as Paul wrote but also to be our model. He was "God manifested in the flesh" but also became like man for the above reason and to show us how to walk and act. So, he placed all weight on the Father as we are to place all weight on the Father. In this case, He didn't lie, He simply directed us to where we need to look.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Even as King of the Kingdom, He will still be sub-subservient as He was in earth to the Father who will dwell there also. He doesn't own the company but He runs it. Remember, this is only about humans. God certainly did not limit His vastness to us.

• Agree
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The dead rise first...it is the resurrection. Yeshua only comes back once. Behold, He [Yeshua] is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him.
Shabbat Shalom

I agree Jesus comes back once to earth. But if you notice in Thessalonians Jesus does not return to earth but only descends to either the second or first heaven And this is only for the purpose of catching up only those in Christ- so it is just church age saints not the OT saints!

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, because that isn't the issue at hand. You called something "Modalism" when it was Trinitarianism. You were wrong about what the other member posted and I suspect you do not correctly understand what Modalism is based on your incorrect labeling. You also seem to not correctly understand what Trinitarianism teaches, that one God is composed of three, and those three being Father, Son and Holy Spirit. That Sir is NOT Modalism.

You also wrongly said, "only the Father is utterly completely totally wholly entirely 100% uncaused"

False...all of the Trinity is "uncaused".

Your Greek explanation is foolishly wrong!

You are using teh same faulty reasoning as the Watchtower!

Theon and Theos are simple greek constructs of Theos! one is Accusative and the other nominative!

from nt.greek.org

he Apparent Difference in Spelling

First of all, the same Greek word is used in both occurrences of the word "God" in John 1:1. This same word is used in many contexts, whether it refers to the Only True God or whether it is referring to a false god - such as a man-made god (1 Cor. 8:5) or Satan as the ‘god of this age’ (2 Cor. 4:4). The apparent differences in spelling between the word ‘God’ in the phrase ‘and the Word was God’ (‘theos’) and in other places, (even in the previous phrase, ‘and the Word was with God’ (‘theon’)) is due to inflection in the Greek language. Each Greek noun normally has 8 or 9 forms (cases & number) in which it can appear. (See my page on ‘Inflection’ and ‘Cases’ on the Web site). In the first instance in John 1:1 it is the object of preposition and thus is in the accusative case. In the phrase in question, it is in the nominative case (indicating the subject or predicate nominative - equal to the subject). But it is the same word for ‘God’, and in both phrases here indicates the One and Only True God. So the apparent difference is spelling is not because ‘theos’ is a different word than ‘theon’, but is a different form of the identical word.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I agree Jesus comes back once to earth. But if you notice in Thessalonians Jesus does not return to earth but only descends to either the second or first heaven And this is only for the purpose of catching up only those in Christ- so it is just church age saints not the OT saints!

Where does it say that?? Acts 1:11 says differently...

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@ewq1938 -- please remember, you have to bear in mind, that the actual inspired language was 1st century Greek (not 21st century modern English). Please acknowledge, yes?

John 1:1, following the Greek LXX OT convention, refers to the Person of The Father as "the God" (ton Theon), and the Person of the [Father's] Word as "Godly" (Theos):

Revelation 21:7 likewise refers to the incarnate Word [of the Father] Jesus Christ as "Theos" (Godly / Godlike / God by nature & essence)...but not by the term "ton Theos" (the God) reserved only for The Father:

I renew my challenge to the entire CF community -- exactly precisely zero times in the Greek OT or NT will anyone ever find The Father referred to as "Theos", or His Word or His Spirit referred to as "ton Theon".

If that is not true, post the screen capture from the Apostolic Bible Polyglot...

So far, I've posted screen captures from two verses. I'm up 2-0.

But I don't have special access to the ABP, and anyone anywhere is welcome to investigate and try to find counter-examples...

for which I'm (still) waiting...

Meanwhile, in case anyone is counting...

"ton Theon" (tau omicron nu Theta epsilon omicron nu) and "Theos" (Theta epsilon omicron sigma) differ by more Greek letters (4) than they have shared in common (3)...

different phrases / words / letters signify different things

please acknowledge? Similar doesn't mean exactly precisely the same, yes?
John 20:28
(28) And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
Joh 20:28 και απεκριθη ο θωμας και ειπεν αυτω ο κυριος μου και ο θεος μου

• Agree
Upvote 0

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, notice what the Lord says “No man knows.” The Lord was fully God but He was also fully man as well and no man knew the day and hour. The glorified Christ I would think knows everything.
Sometimes the Lord’s words are subtle but powerful lessons. He said as long as He was on earth He had power to forgive sin. When lifted up on the cross He did not forgive even the thief He took to heaven. The Lord needed to be fully man when He took our sins upon Him and as such He had to lay His godly rights down which He did willingly.

• Agree
Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John 20:28
(28) And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
Joh 20:28 και απεκριθη ο θωμας και ειπεν αυτω ο κυριος μου και ο θεος μου
Great find, thank you very much, there's another example

God's Word incarnate (in Jesus Christ) = "Theos" (Theta epsilon omicron sigma)

not "ton Theon" (tau omicron nu Theta epsilon omicron nu)

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Lord was fully God but He was also fully man as well and no man knew the day and hour. The glorified Christ I would think knows everything.
Sometimes the Lord’s words are subtle but powerful lessons. He said as long as He was on earth He had power to forgive sin. When lifted up on the cross He did not forgive even the thief He took to heaven. The Lord needed to be fully man when He took our sins upon Him and as such He had to lay His godly rights down which He did willingly.
fully God by nature & essence, but not The God The Father in Person

please do acknowledge, "no. man. has. ever. seen. The. Father." (John 1:18)

The Father has never directly Himself entered into creation, but (for whatever Divine reasons) chooses only to interact into creation through His Word & His Spirit ("His two hands")

One God (The Father) + "His two hands" = three persons of Triune Godhead = Trinity

please do acknowledge, "The Son is not The Father"

Upvote 0

Deade

Called of God
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, OK
Visit site
✟274,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, notice what the Lord says “No man knows.” The Lord was fully God but He was also fully man as well and no man knew the day and hour. The glorified Christ I would think knows everything.

Way to go Vicky. I believe He said He did not know while He walked the earth. Now, He is omniscient. That is the only logical conclusion. Kind of the way we are now and will be, according to Paul.

1 Cor.13:12 "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."
5thumbsup.gif

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...the apparent difference is spelling is not because ‘theos’ is a different word than ‘theon’, but is a different form of the identical word.
Yes, you are doing a very good job of delving straight back into the original 1st century inspired Greek!

Please observe, in the Greek OT & NT, the Father is always indicated by the phrase "ton Theon" (the God [Him, object-like case])

The other members of the Godhead are indicated by the word "Theos" (God [He, subject-like case])

Different words / phrases denote different things, yes?

"no man has ever seen the Father" (John 1:18), so whenever we do experience Him in action in creation, it is always through His "two hands" (His Word & His Spirit) which embody His activity in creation

The Father is not the Son, nor the Spirit, correct?

Jesus Christ was God the Father's Word incarnate, but not God the Father incarnate, correct?

John 3:16-18 = God the Father sent His Son... He didn't come directly Himself, correct?

Q.E.D. ?

John 3:18 makes it abundantly clear that the Son is the only-begotten (= a mysterious sort of generation in Transcendent Eternity beyond our creation space-and-time) of "the God" (ton Theon) -- look closely, the definite article "the" (G3588) is always present before "God" (G2316) whenever the Father (= "the [one] God") is indicated:
upload_2019-11-24_11-34-45.png

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
The saying was in context of the Hebrew culture, and the wedding of the Church. The Redeemer's parables and metaphors were mostly in relation to Hebrews and Hebrew culture - especially concerning the Kindgom and salvation.

In the wedding, no one knows when the marriage will actually occur except the Father of the bride: He is the One who brings out the bride (after the party, groom, bridesmaids and groomsmen the have been waiting for any amount of time). Notice the entire party shows up, but must wait (how long, Lord...?)

So, in a real wedding, no one actually knows the "day" ("considering 4pm-7pm could be sundown/the next day), or particular hour the Father would deliver the bride to be joined with the husband.

Likewise, "not even the Groom/The Word of God Himself/Son of Man" will know when the Father the Most High God will deliver the Bride (us, the church body made of humans not buildings) to Him for marriage.

But, like someone alluded to earlier, the Redeemer also says that that day comes like a thief in the night to those who don't watch. So, while we may not know the millisecond, we can know the signs the Father is bringing the bride. Someone may be watching for His arrival, some may listen to His voice. Some may watch the signs He makes in the surroundings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think he humbled himself, emptied himself "for the suffering of death" as Paul wrote but also to be our model. He was "God manifested in the flesh" but also became like man for the above reason and to show us how to walk and act. So, he placed all weight on the Father as we are to place all weight on the Father. In this case, He didn't lie, He simply directed us to where we need to look.
God's Word incarnate

not The God The Father incarnate

John 1:18

The Father is not the Son

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
(us, the church body made of humans not buildings)
Thought it was the new Jerusalem as told in Rev. The church is merely the guests who were gathered after the original invites, Judah, didn't show, for the union of King and bride Kingdom. This is what happens when the religion removed the Kingdom as Jesus' Gospel centuries ago.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Thought it was the new Jerusalem as told in Rev. The church is merely the guests who were gathered after the original invites, Judah, didn't show, for the union of King and bride Kingdom. This is what happens when the religion removed the Kingdom as Jesus' Gospel centuries ago.

Let's get specific so that we don't split hairs, because we may be saying the same thing.

What I meant by the Church are the so called election, or people who can't be moved from the hand of God. This number is extremely large, but finite. These are people mortally alive now, mortally dead, and mortally to come until the first resurrection. I know John saw a multitude that cannot be numbered; however, strictly speaking in math, for example, 10^30 is still finite. We approximate it as "infinite" (multitude that no one can count) more for literary reasons to emphasize the magnitude.

Those people have always been saved, and have always been His people even, and despite their terrible faults. Someone like Judas was NEVER part of the election in the first place - and his actions on this plane of existence show why from the foundations of the earth he was NOT a part of the election. A Dannite, perhaps, set apart for judging the King of nations, but realizing only destruction. Dan does this in general, which is why there is an interesting inheritance to be paid among the tribes.

New Jerusalem is the capital of Israel - the Church body. The physical city is inconsequential to who makes up the residence, however there will also be a real physical New Jerusalem to "represent" the center of Israel - which, at that point would physically be the entire plane of existence (not a strip of land).

• Agree
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.