✟21,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by franklin
Yeah OS, I do have a question, why are you so bent on seeing people being burned and brutally tortured and tormented in a never ending so called Hell?  A place that only exists in minds like yours!
You did exactly what I thought you would. You have been saying that orthodox Christian beliefs and practices which contradict your doctrine are pagan in origin. When shown evidence that Christian beliefs are NOT pagan, but Jewish in origin, you ignore it asnd give me more of your Russellite teachings.

I said once before and you ingored it, God's justice does not depend on what you or I want/don't want, like/don't like. Every living breathing soul has the same opportunity to choose or reject God. I have merely stated what the Bible states on the subject and how God's people, the Jews, interpreted their own scriptures. OTOH you have given me man made equivocations, fire doesn't mean fire, burn doesn't mean burn, hell doesn't mean hell. The first century Christians and Jews all knew they did.

If you are so bent on seeing human being having their flesh burned without end then maybe you should go and visit some of the burn victims in some of the hospitals in your area!  Since you believe it is so literal in a never ending sence according to your mindset!
Again, God doesn't care what I want/don't want or like/don't like. God's chosen people have interpeted the Hebrew scriptures for us. There is a literal burning Hell, and those who reject God and His word will end up there.
Here is a short quote from J. Preston Eby that I think would apply to people who think like you do:
Who is this guy and why should I read one word he has written? Talk to me from the scriptures and people trained in the original languages. Can you read Hebrew and Greek? I can.

Upvote 0

OldShepherd

Zaqunraah
Mar 11, 2002
EST
✟21,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Posted by Franklin
Never did any preacher of the Gospel, recorded in the Bible, resort to saying, "This is a complete mystery, you cannot begin to understand it". Instead, we read of them appealing to people through reason and drawing logical conclusions from Scripture.
This is part of Franklin’s signature. Is this a true or false statement? Here are a few verses which clearly state that God and Jesus are unsearchable, knowledge too wonderful, passes knowledge, passes understanding. Sounds like mystery to me.

• Job 5:9
  • [God] Which doeth great things and unsearchable; marvellous things without number: (9:10-12)

Ps 139:6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

Ps 145:3 Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.

Is 40:28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.

Eph 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge,

Phil 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding,

Upvote 0

LightBearer

Veteran
Aug 9, 2002
Visit site
✟19,072.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Originally posted by OldShepherd

I said once before and you ingored it, God's justice does not depend on what you or I want/don't want, like/don't like.

God's standard of justice is clearly recorded for all to see in the Bible at EX 21:23.  Where it states the law of perfect retribution "Eye for eye" "Life for life".  The teaching of eternal torture is incompatible with this, Godly stated law and principle, it is overkill.  Eternal torture is way over the top as retribution for a few decades of sin and offends the sense of justice in many people and is completely incompatible with God's personality. 

God states at Jer. 7:31: "They [apostate Judeans] have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, a thing that I had not commanded and that had not come up into my heart." (If it never came into God's heart, surely he does not have and use such a thing on a larger scale.)

What would you think of a parent who held his child's hand over a fire to punish the child for wrongdoing? "God is love." (1 John 4:8) Would he do what no right-minded human parent would do?  Is human justice superior to God's?   Absolutely not.

Upvote 0

OldShepherd

Zaqunraah
Mar 11, 2002
EST
✟21,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by LightBearer
God's standard of justice is clearly recorded for all to see in the Bible at EX 21:23.  Where it states the law of perfect retribution "Eye for eye" "Life for life".  The teaching of eternal torture is incompatible with this, Godly stated law and principle, it is overkill.  Eternal torture is way over the top as retribution for a few decades of sin and offends the sense of justice in many people and is completely incompatible with God's personality. 

How can the Word of God be incompatible with God's law and priciple? Another poster observed that we are not making this up. It is in the Bible. Just because you choose to believe the 19th century babblings of Charlie Russell instead of the Word of God, as interpreted by His chosen people does not change the fact that the Bible speaks of a very real literal hell.

You and Franklin want to change God's word, i.e. fire is not fire, burn does not mean burn, hell only means death. To the Jews, long before Christ, Gehenna meant a place of torment where those who rejected God and His law would burn forever. Go back and read the Jewish Encyclopedia.

God states at Jer. 7:31: "They [apostate Judeans] have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, a thing that I had not commanded and that had not come up into my heart." (If it never came into God's heart, surely he does not have and use such a thing on a larger scale.)
Quoting out-of-context. The Judaeans were sacrificing their children in a pagan religious ceremony. This passage says absolutely nothing about God's justice.
What would you think of a parent who held his child's hand over a fire to punish the child for wrongdoing? "God is love." (1 John 4:8) Would he do what no right-minded human parent would do?  Is human justice superior to God's?   Absolutely not.
One more time! God does not care what you or I think, what we want/don't want, like/don't like. Read the Bible and quit trying to change it to fit your doctrine. But you are right I don't like the thought of hell, that is why I am doing everything possible to get as many people saved as I can. Denying what is clearly recorded in the Bible will not make it go away.

An afterthought. Lets talk about "unfair" punishment. Many states have a "three strikes" law. A third conviction for a felony means life imprisonment. Is it fair for a person to spend life in prison for robbing a convenience store of less than $20.00? It has happened! The law is there like/don't like, fair/unfair it doesnt matter. That is the prescribed punishment, criminals know it. So if they go to prison for life it is their own fault.

And Oh BTW can you show me anywhere in the Bible it calls for a parent to burn their childrens hands?

God's standard of justice is clearly recorded for all to see in the Bible at EX 21:23. Where it states the law of perfect retribution "Eye for eye" "Life for life". The teaching of eternal torture is incompatible with this, Godly stated law and principle, it is overkill.
This is man's justice as dictated by God, this says nothing about God's justice toward man.

Upvote 0

OldShepherd

Zaqunraah
Mar 11, 2002
EST
✟21,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Well oh my, If you believe that hell is such a terrible place, all you can come up with is, we just need to give them a warning? That is the height of sheer hypocracy!  * * *
As far as what you think about Mr Eby's writings, I think his opinions are much closer to the word of God then the majority of the modern preachers and theologians today! 
Eby's scribblings and what you think of them mean diddly squat. I want to know what the Bible says. Can you prove from the Bible that Hell does NOT exist? Can you prove from the Bible that the passages about Hell are NOT literal?
Yet, those who teach eternal torment can spend their hours relaxing in front of the television screen, visiting and feasting upon rich dainties with their friends, and whole days in camping, vacationing, fishing, and playing, and then lay their heads upon a pillow every night and sleep soundly, while, according to their own teaching, countless millions are going to a place a million times worse than a burning building!
This is the height of hyprocricy. Someone guilty of all this himself pointing an accusing finger at someone else. Whatever your view of the afterlife for sinners you too have a commission to go into all the world and since you ain't doing it. Which one are you the pot or the kettle?
So my dear sister in Christ, if hell is as bad as this, how are you spending your every hour of the day that you are awake telling others about this terrible, horrible place where the torment never ends?  And all you can come up with is, well, all we must do is just warn them?
How do you know how much she or I or anyone else on this forum is doing while you are pointing your hypocritical finger at us?

Upvote 0

HesMyAll

Senior Contributor
Nov 4, 2002
Ohio
✟18,278.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

Well oh my, If you believe that hell is such a terrible place, all you can come up with is, we just need to give them a warning? That is the height of sheer hypocracy! I suppose if you were standing in front of a burning building knowing that there were people inside you would just give them a warning?  As far as what you think about Mr Eby's writings, I think his opinions are much closer to the word of God then the majority of the modern preachers and theologians today!  Here is what he would say about your quote:

If it were true, it is so awful that it should never be spoken without tears and a broken heart. How does the mother of a murderer speak of the corning execution of her boy? Yet the prospect to her is only one of time, and in the limits of the physical. If the people believe it, then their attitude about the whole thing reveals that they could care less if the creation burns forever. The fact is, NO ONE really believes in an eternal burning hell if we are to judge by their actions. If they saw a person in a burning building, they would put forth every effort to save them; they would cry and scream for help; they would be late for work; they would not rest until the victims were rescued. Yet, those who teach eternal torment can spend their hours relaxing in front of the television screen, visiting and feasting upon rich dainties with their friends, and whole days in camping, vacationing, fishing, and playing, and then lay their heads upon a pillow every night and sleep soundly, while, according to their own teaching, countless millions are going to a place a million times worse than a burning building!

So my dear sister in Christ, if hell is as bad as this, how are you spending your every hour of the day that you are awake telling others about this terrible, horrible place where the torment never ends?  And all you can come up with is, well, all we must do is just warn them? or here is another popular one: we don't want to shove the bible down their throats, I'll just let them look at how I'm living my life so pure and holy in Jesus and that will be enough warning about hell and the eternal flames for them.  Gee wiz, isn't that the typical attitude of most believers now a days?  Sure it is! The real truth of the matter is, if it is as bad as you, OS and others keep on proclaiming it is, then the entire church of Christ is extremely guilty of their silence or they have become extremely CALLOUSED or they do not really believe what they are teaching! 

Bye.....

It would be a little late to warn someone about the "burning building" after they were already in it.  Once someone is in hell there would be no way to warn them to avoid it.

The ministry I am involved in is actively going out and warning people to make preparation for eternity.

And for your information...I am not a hypocrite.  I live what I believe.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Old Shepherd, so Preston Eby's writings are "scribblings" are they ? You want to know what the Bible says, and so do I. Welcome to Geo. MacDonald for the moment....

From the halls of history comes the voice of one who believed in the heart of a Loving Father.

This is a quote from the book "Gods and Generals" by Jeff Shaara, relating Stonewall Jackson's thoughts as he viewed the execution of John Brown for his part in the uprising at Harper's Ferry:

Jackson looked down and said a prayer. "Dear God, let this man pass over and be with You, even if he did not ask ... did not understand ... he is Your own."

Then he heard a voice, a mad scream from the crowd, 'Burn in Hell!' and others followed, hard shouts and small cries for damnation. He looked back to Brown's lifeless body, thought, Perhaps it is meant for him to pass below, into the fires of Hell. Jackson clenched his fists. He could not bear that, could not believe that men could be judged to be so wicked, and that others would be so eager to condemn their brothers to a flaming eternal death."  

There is hope! For our Lord has placed His creation "in futility not willingly, but by reason of Him who subjected the same in hope." And what is the hope.....

"That at last the creation itself would be set free from the thraldom of decay to enjoy the liberty that comes with the glory of the children of God." Romans 8

Human Justice In The Light Of The Divine

Human justice may be a poor distortion of justice, a mere shadow of it; but the justice of God must be perfect. We cannot frustrate it in its working; are we just to it in our idea of it? If you ask any ordinary Sunday congregation in England, what is meant by the justice of God, would not nineteen out of twenty answer, that it means his punishing of sin? Think for a moment what degree of justice it would indicate in a man—that he punished every wrong. A Roman emperor, a Turkish cadi, might do that, and be the most unjust both of men and judges. Ahab might be just on the throne of punishment, and in his garden the murderer of Naboth.

The Depth Of Foolishness

In God shall we imagine a distinction of office and character? God is one; and the depth of foolishness is reached by that theology which talks of God as if he held different offices, and differed in each. It sets a contradiction in the very nature of God himself. It represents him, for instance, as having to do that as a magistrate which as a father he would not do! The love of the father makes him desire to be unjust as a magistrate! Oh the folly of any mind that would explain God before obeying him! that would map out the character of God, instead of crying, Lord, what wouldst thou have me to do?

Our Father

God is no magistrate; but, if he were, it would be a position to which his fatherhood alone gave him the right; his rights as a father cover every right he can be analytically supposed to possess. The justice of God is this, that—to use a boyish phrase, the best the language will now afford me because of misuse—he gives every man, woman, child, and beast, everything that has being, fair play; he renders to every man according to his work; and therein lies his perfect mercy; for nothing else could be merciful to the man, and nothing but mercy could be fair to him. God does nothing of which any just man, the thing set fairly and fully before him so that he understood, would not say, ‘That is fair.’ Who would, I repeat, say a man was a just man because he insisted on prosecuting every offender? A scoundrel might do that. Yet the justice of God, forsooth, is his punishment of sin! A just man is one who cares, and tries, and always tries, to give fair play to everyone in every thing. When we speak of the justice of God, let us see that we do mean justice! Punishment of the guilty may be involved in justice, but it does not constitute the justice of God one atom more than it would constitute the justice of a man.

‘But no one ever doubts that God gives fair play!’

‘That may be—but does not go for much, if you say that God does this or that which is not fair.’

‘If he does it, you may be sure it is fair.’

Doing Something No Honourable Man Would Do

‘Doubtless, or he could not be God—except to devils. But you say he does so and so, and is just; I say, he does not do so and so, and is just. You say he does, for the Bible says so. I say, if the Bible said so, the Bible would lie; but the Bible does not say so. The lord of life complains of men for not judging right. To say on the authority of the Bible that God does a thing no honourable man would do, is to lie against God; to say that it is therefore right, is to lie against the very spirit of God. To uphold a lie for God’s sake is to be against God, not for him. God cannot be lied for. He is the truth. The truth alone is on his side. While his child could not see the rectitude of a thing, he would infinitely rather, even if the thing were right, have him say, God could not do that thing, than have him believe that he did it. If the man were sure God did it, the thing he ought to say would be, ‘Then there must be something about it I do not know, which if I did know, I should see the thing quite differently.’ But where an evil thing is invented to explain and account for a good thing, and a lover of God is called upon to believe the invention or be cast out, he needs not mind being cast out, for it is into the company of Jesus.

More Is Required Of The Maker!

Where there is no ground to believe that God does a thing except that men who would explain God have believed and taught it, he is not a true man who accepts men against his own conscience of God. I acknowledge no authority calling upon me to believe a thing of God, which I could not be a man and believe right in my fellow-man. I will accept no explanation of any way of God which explanation involves what I should scorn as false and unfair in a man. If you say, That may be right of God to do which it would not be right of man to do, I answer, Yes, because the relation of the maker to his creatures is very different from the relation of one of those creatures to another, and he has therefore duties toward his creatures requiring of him what no man would have the right to do to his fellow-man; but he can have no duty that is not both just and merciful. More is required of the maker, by his own act of creation, than can be required of men. More and higher justice and righteousness is required of him by himself, the Truth;—greater nobleness, more penetrating sympathy; and nothing but what, if an honest man understood it, he would say was right. If it be a thing man cannot understand, then man can say nothing as to whether it is right or wrong. He cannot even know that God does it, when the it is unintelligible to him. What he calls it may be but the smallest facet of a composite action. His part is silence. If it be said by any that God does a thing, and the thing seems to me unjust, then either I do not know what the thing is, or God does not do it. The saying cannot mean what it seems to mean, or the saying is not true. If, for instance, it be said that God visits the sins of the fathers on the children, a man who takes visits upon to mean punishes, and the children to mean the innocent children, ought to say, ‘Either I do not understand the statement, or the thing is not true, whoever says it.’ God may do what seems to a man not right, but it must so seem to him because God works on higher, on divine, on perfect principles, too right for a selfish, unfair, or unloving man to understand. But least of all must we accept some low notion of justice in a man, and argue that God is just in doing after that notion.

Justice (Unspoken Sermons Series 3)  By George MacDonald 

Upvote 0

franklin

Sexed up atheism = Pantheism
May 21, 2002
Bible belt
Visit site
✟9,942.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
OS, I don't have the time to read all your posts that you posted but from just scanning them, your response does not surprise me in the least!  I still haven't seen an answer to the one question I asked you and that is:

Why are you so bent on seeing people burning in HELL ?

Does it make you feel more spiritual and righteous knowing that you will not go there?

Are you spending every hour that you are awake shouting and screaming at everyone that crosses your path about this horrible place that only exists in the imaginations and conjectures of self-righteous men? 

Just thought I'd add a few more questions for you to ponder and meditate on!  Because your line of thinking and logic is not based not only on scripture but it is also void of commonsence and who God really is! 

I'll be waiting for your answers! 

BTW, I'll get to reading your posts later after I go to the drugstore to purchase some PeptoMizmo to releave my stomach ache!

GoodBye, for now......

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Old Shepherd...I have a few questions for you to start, additional questions to follow.

1. Define the Lake of Fire.

2. Define the four words all translated hell in the K.J.V.

3. Is the Lake of Fire and hell synonomous?

4. Why are four distinct Hebrew and Greek words all translated identical?

5. Define olethros.

6. Define aeonial.

7. What does the word "fitted" for destruction mean in the Koine Greek?

8. Define the Koine Greek word Kalazo in 2 Peter. "The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptation, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgement to be punished.

9. What is the Koine Greek word for brimstone? What does it mean?

10. What is the Hebrew word for brimstone? What is the meaning.

11. There are 22 distinct words for destruction in the Old Covenant. Do you know the words that link destruction with perfection?

"A person will worship something, have no doubt of that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
OldShepherd, there is so much you appear to be missing. I know it is hard being old, but the process of ephphatha is vital to knowing our Lord and what He declares to us. Without an awakening, we find ourselves prisoners of despair and possessing minds trapped in the thinking of men and unable to break into the spontaneous vibrations of glory that bathe our Lord. You perceive that the Lord of the Universe loses the vast majority of what He has created. Today, another 1 million spirits leave this realm and join the spirits of those who have gone before. Can you define what the following words mean?

For God has allowed us to know the secret of His plan, and it is this; He purposes in His sovereign will that all human history shall be consummated in Christ, that everything that exists in heaven or earth shall find its perfection and fulfillment in Him." Eph. 1

"And this is in harmony with God's merciful purpose for the government of the world when the times are ripe for it--the purpose which He has cherished in His own mind of restoring the whole creation to find its one Head in Christ; yes, things in heaven and things on earth, to find their one Head in Him."

Questions again....

1. What is the secret of God's plan.

2. Will our Lord's plan be fulfilled/consummated?

3. What does our Lord cherish?

4. What is the scope of the summary in Christ Jesus?

5. What is the focal point of what God cherishes? Is it dependent on man in any aspect?

"The kingdom of Christ, not being a kingdom of this world, is not limited by the restrictions which fetter other societies, political or religious. It is in the fullest sense free, comprehensive, universal. It displays this character, not only in the acceptance of all comers who seek admission, irrespective of race or caste or sex, but also in the instruction and treatment of those who are already its members. It has no sacred days or seasons, no special sanctuaries, because every time and every place alike are holy. Above all it has no sacerdotal system. It interposes no sacrificial tribe or class between God and man, by whose intervention alone God is reconciled and man forgiven. Each individual member holds personal communion with the Divine Head. To Him immediately he is responsible, and from Him directly he obtains pardon and draws strength." (Lightfoot )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Welcome to the Hope of the Gospel, glad tidings of great joy which shall be to all people. The Lord your God requires the following of you.....

"Love your enemies! Do good to them! Lend to them! And don't be concerned that they might not repay. Then your reward in heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for He is kind to the unthankful and to those who are wicked. (To the wicked and cruel.) (Luke 6:35) Yes finite one, you are to "be therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful."

These words from our blessed Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, express the nature of our Father. Welcome now to the doctor's of hell, whose vision of judgement, condemnation, punishment, by the Infinite One is the following.....

And I bring you glad tidings of great joy!

Tertullian

"At that greatest of all spectacles, that last and eternal judgment how shall I admire, how laugh, how rejoice, how exult, when I behold so many proud monarchs groaning in the lowest abyss of darkness…"

Jonathan Edwards

"Reprobate infants are vipers of vengeance, which Jehovah will hold over hell, in the tongs of his wrath, till they turn and spit venom in his face!"

"The view of the misery of the ****** will double the ardour of the love and gratitude of the saints of heaven."

Thomas Aquinas

"That the saints may enjoy their beatitude more thoroughly, and give more abundant thanks for it to God, a perfect sight of the punishment of the ****** is granted them."

Jeremy Taylor

"Husbands shall see their wives, parents shall see their children tormented before their eyes…the bodies of the ****** shall be crowded together in hell like grapes
in a wine-press, which press on another till they burst…"

Tertullian

"How shall I admire, how laugh, how rejoice, how exult, when I behold so many proud monarchs groaning in the lowest abyss of darkness; so many magistrates u than they ever kindled against the
Christians; so many sages philosophers blushing in red-hot fires with their deluded pupils; so many tragedians more tuneful in the expression of their own sufferings; so many dancers tripping more nimbly from anguish then ever before from applause."

Jeremy Taylor of the Church of England

"The bodies of the ****** shall be crowded together in hell, like grapes in a wine-press, which press one another till they burst; every distinct sense and organ shall be assailed with its own appropriate and most exquisite sufferings."

Jonathan Edwards (A Calvinist of the "Great Awakening" fame. Newspapers reported people leaving his sermons and committing suicide from the fear he instilled in them.)

"The world will probably be converted into a great lake or liquid globe of fire, in which the wicked shall be overwhelmed, which will always be in tempest, in which they shall be tossed to and fro, having no rest day and night, vast waves and billows of fire continually rolling over their heads, of which they shall forever be full of a quick sense within and without; their heads, their eyes, their tongues, their hands, their feet, their loins and their vitals, shall forever be full of a flowing, melting fire, fierce enough to melt the very rocks and elements; and also, they shall eternally be full of the most quick and lively sense to feel the torments; not for one minute, not for one day, not for one age, not for two ages, not for a hundred ages, nor for ten thousand millions of ages, one after another, but forever and ever, without any end at all, and never to be delivered."

John Calvin (Who had some of his theological enemies burned to death in green slow-burning wood.):

Calvin describes hell as: "Forever harrassed with a dreadful tempest, they shall feel themselves torn asunder by an angry God, and transfixed and penetrated by mortal stings, terrified by the thunderbolts of God, and broken by the weight of his hand, so that to sink into any gulf would be more tolerable than to stand for a moment in these terrors."

The Reverend C. H. Spurgeon in his sermon Sermon on the Resurrection of the Dead:

"When thou diest, thy soul will be tormented alone; that will be a hell for it, but at the day of judgment thy body will join thy soul, and then thou wilt have twin hells, thy soul sweating drops of blood, and thy body suffused with agony. In fire exactly like that which we have on earth thy body will lie, asbestos-like, forever unconsumed, all thy veins roads for the feet of pain to travel on, every nerve a string on which the devil shall forever play his diabolical tune of 'Hell's Unutterable Lament.''' (Quoted from Christ Triumphant by Thomas Allin) Note: Spurgeon is not content with one hell only....he must have two!)

Night Thoughts by Young

"Father of Mercies! Why from silent earth didst thou awake and curse me into birth, tear me from quiet, banish me from night, and make a thankless present of Thy light, push into being a reverse of Thee and animate a clod with misery?"

(Quoted in "The Bible Hell" by J.W. Hanson, page 28)

Reverend J. Furniss, C.S.S.R. in his book The Sight of Hell (A Catholic book for children)

"Little child, if you go to hell there will be a devil at your side to strike you. He will go on striking you every minute for ever and ever without stopping. The first stroke will make your body as bad as the body of Job, covered, from head to foot, with sores and ulcers. The second stroke will make your body twice as bad as the body of Job. The third stroke will make your body three times as bad as the body of Job. The fourth stroke will make your body four times as bad as the body of Job. How, then, will your body be after the devil has been striking it every moment for a hundred million of years without stopping? Perhaps at this moment, seven o'clock in he
evening, a child is just going into hell. To-morrow evening, at seven o'clock, go and knock at the gates of hell and ask what the child is doing. The devils will go and look. They will come back again and say, the child
is burning. Go in week and ask what the child is doing; you will get the same answer, it is burning; Go in a year and asks the same answer comes--it is burning. Go in a million of years and ask the same question, the answer is just the same--it is burning. So, if you go for ever and ever, you will always get the same answer--it is burning in the fire.) -- (Quoted from Christ Triumphant by Thomas Allin)

More from Reverend J. Furniss, C.S.S.R.

"The fifth dungeon is the red hot oven. The little child is in the red hot oven. Hear how it screams to come out; see how it turns and twists itself about in the fire. It beats its head against the roof of the oven. It stamps its little feet on the floor." (The Sight of Hell) (Quoted from Christ Triumphant by Thomas Allin)

Reverend E.B. Pusey, D.D.

"Gather in one, in your mind, an assembly of all those men and women, from whom, whether in history or in fiction, your memory most shrinks, gather in mind all that is loathsome, most revolting * * * conceive the
fierce, fiery eyes of hate, spite, frenzied rage, ever fixed on thee, looking thee through and through with hate

* * * hear those yells of blaspheming concentrated hate, as they echo along the lurid vault of hell; everyone hating everyone.

Thank you gentlemen, and now a word from Heaven!

"..in His love He chose us as His own in Christ before the foundation of the world...It is in Him, and through the shedding of His blood, that we have our deliverance--the forgiveness of our offences--SO ABUNDANT WAS GOD'S GRACE, THE GRACE WHICH HE HAS LAVISHED UPON US, when He made known to us the secret of His will.

And this is in harmony with GOD'S MERCIFUL PURPOSE FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF THE WORLD WHEN THE TIMES ARE RIPE FOR IT--the purpose which He has cherished in His own mind OF RESTORING THE WHOLE CREATION TO FIND ITS ONE HEAD IN CHRIST; yes, things in heaven and things on earth, to find their one Head in Him.

In Him, too, we have been CHOSEN BEFOREHAND IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE INTENTION OF HIM who carries out in everything the design of His own will,...."

Upvote 0

OldShepherd

Zaqunraah
Mar 11, 2002
EST
✟21,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by FineLinen
Old Shepherd...I have a few questions for you to start, additional questions to follow.

5. Define olethros.

6. Define aeonial.

8. Define the Koine Greek word Kalazo in 2 Peter. "The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptation, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgement to be punished.

11. There are 22 distinct words for destruction in the Old Covenant. Do you know the words that link destruction with perfection?
Excuse me? What is this jump into the middle of an ongoing discussion, ignore everything that has been posted, do not address anything that I have said, and then start demanding that I answer a long laundry list of fallacious questions?

If you would like to engage me in discussion then address the issues I have already posted and since you think you are going to stump me with your questions, why don't you lead off by answering them yourself and I will tell you if you are right or wrong.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
I couldn't care less. And Oh BTW I started learning to speak Greek the year that Elvis and I were stationed in Germany and I studied both Biblical Hebrew and Greek about 2 decades later and I own TWOT, BAGD, BDB, TDNT. You want to talk languages?

Upvote 0

OldShepherd

Zaqunraah
Mar 11, 2002
EST
✟21,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Old Shepherd, so Preston Eby's writings are "scribblings" are they ? You want to know what the Bible says, and so do I. Welcome to Geo. MacDonald for the moment....
I'll ask the same question I did about Eby. Who is Geo. MacDonald and why should I read any of his scribblings? You gave me a long incomprehensible quote from good ol' George but I don't see one single sentence exegeting the Bible. You plan to do any of that any time soon?

sumbebhken de autoiV to thV alhqouV paroimiaV kuwn epistreyaV epi to idion exerama

Upvote 0

OldShepherd

Zaqunraah
Mar 11, 2002
EST
✟21,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OS, I don't have the time to read all your posts that you posted but from just scanning them, your response does not surprise me in the least!  I still haven't seen an answer to the one question I asked you and that is:

Why are you so bent on seeing people burning in HELL ?
Show me where I have posted anything that is NOT Biblical. I have backed up the LITERAL interpretation of the O.T. and N.T. texts concerning hell with translations by pre-Christian Jews.
Does it make you feel more spiritual and righteous knowing that you will not go there?
This borders on a violation of rule #1. I suggest you confine your responses to what I post, instead of speculating what I think, feel, know, etc.
Are you spending every hour that you are awake shouting and screaming at everyone that crosses your path about this horrible place that only exists in the imaginations and conjectures of self-righteous men?
"Only exists in the imaginations, etc." and the church has had it wrong for 2000 years and the Jews for a few thousand years before them. The ONLY one in the world who has it right is J.P. Eby and Franklin. Hey come on down to Texas, Eby has got some nice koolaid for you.

"
Are you spending every hour that you are awake shouting and screaming at . . . Are you? Read the great commission.
Just thought I'd add a few more questions for you to ponder and meditate on!  Because your line of thinking and logic is not based not only on scripture but it is also void of commonsence and who God really is!
Big words! Back them up from the scriptures.

Reactions: ashibaka
Upvote 0

OldShepherd

Zaqunraah
Mar 11, 2002
EST
✟21,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Key Facts About Eternity

(1) Everyone will exist eternally either in heaven or hell
(Daniel 12:2,3; Matthew 25:46; John 5:28; Revelation 20:4,5).

(2) Everyone has only one life in which to determine their destiny (Hebrews 9:27).

(3) Heaven or hell is determined by whether a person believes (puts their trust) in Christ alone to save them (John 3:16, 36, etc.).

Key Passages About Hell

(1) Hell was designed originally for Satan and his demons
(Matthew 25:41; Revelation 20:10).

(2) Hell will also punish the sin of those who reject Christ (Matthew 13:41,49; Revelation 20:11-15; 21:8).

(3) Hell is conscious torment.
  • Matthew 13:49 “furnace of fire…weeping and gnashing of teeth”
  • Mark 9:48 “where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched”
  • Revelation 14:10 “he will be tormented with fire and brimstone”
(4) Hell is eternal and irreversible.
  • Revelation 14:11 “the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever and they have no rest day and night”
  • Revelation 20:14 “This is the second death, the lake of fire”
  • Revelation 20:15 “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire”
Erroneous Views of Hell

(1) The second chance view
– After death there is still a way to escape hell.

Answer: “It is appointed unto men once to die and after that the judgment” (Hebrews 9:27).

(2) Universalism – All are eternally saved.

Answer: It denies the truth of salvation through Christ which means that a person decides to either trust in Christ or else he/she rejects Christ and goes to hell (John 3:16;3:36).

(3) Annihilationism – Hell means a person dies like an animal – ceases to exist.

Answer: It denies the resurrection of the unsaved (John 5:28, etc. – see above). It denies conscious torment (see above).

Objections to the Biblical View of Hell

(1) A loving God would not send people to a horrible hell.

Response: God is just (Romans 2:11).
  • God has provided the way of salvation to all (John 3:16,17; 2 Corinthians 5:14,15; 1 Timothy 2:6; 4:10; Titus 2:11; 2 Peter 3:9).
  • Even those who haven’t heard of Christ are accountable for God’s revelation in nature (Romans 1:20). God will seek those who seek Him (Matthew 7:7; Luke 19:10).
  • Therefore God doesn’t send people to hell, they choose it (Romans 1:18,21,25).

(2) Hell is too severe a punishment for man’s sin.

Response: God is holy-perfect (1 Peter 1:14,15).
  • Sin is willful opposition to God our creator (Romans 1:18-32).
  • Our sin does merit hell (Romans 1:32; 2:2,5,6).
  • What is unfair and amazing is that Christ died for our sin and freely offers salvation to all (Romans 2:4; 3:22-24; 4:7,8; 5:8,9).
Biblical Terms Describing Where the Dead Are
  • Sheol
  • - a Hebrew term simply describing “the grave” or “death” – Does not refer to “hell” specifically
  • Hades - A Greek term that usually refers to hell – a place of torment (Luke 10:15; 16:23, etc.)
  • Gehenna - A Greek term (borrowed from a literal burning dump near Jerusalem) that always refers to hell – a place of torment (Matthew 5:33; 23:33)
  • “Lake of fire”- the final abode of unbelievers after they are resurrected (Revelation 20:14,15)
  • “Abraham’s bosom” - (Luke 16:22) a place of eternal comfort
  • “Paradise” - (Luke 23:43) a place of eternal comfort
  • “With the Lord” - a key phrase describes where church age believers are after death (Philippians 1:23; 1 Thessalonians 4:17; 2 Corinthians 5:8)
  • “New heavens and earth” – where believers will be after they are resurrected (Revelation 20:4-6; 21:1-4)
Conclusion
Our curiosity about the abode of the dead is not completely satisfied by biblical terms or verses. What we do know is that either eternal torment in hell or eternal joy in heaven awaits all people after death, based on whether they trust in Christ’s payment for sin or reject Christ.

http://www.bible.org/docs/theology/esch/hell.htm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
OldShepherd if you cannot or will not answer our questions that is fine. Let's ask a few more on the basis of what you have just posted. But first, knowing the scribbling of J. Preston Eby satisfy you not, let's consider Andrew Jukes a remarkable student of Greek and Hebrew and a man of Spirit and Life to boot. He asks a question that each of us must answer.

Shall God Do That Which He Abhors?

I cannot even attempt here to trace the stages or processes of the future judgment of those who are raised up to condemnation; for it "the righteousness of God is like the great mountains, His judgments are deep; (Psl.57:43) but what has here been gathered from the Word of God, as to the course and method of His salvation, throws great light on that "resurrection of judgment," (John 5:29) which our Lord speaks of. Of the details of this resurrection, of the nature and state of the bodies of the judged,--if indeed bodies in which there is any image of a man, and therefore of God, (for man's form bears God's image, (1 Cor. 11:7) then are given to them,--and of the scene of the judgment,--very little is said in Scripture; but the peculiar awfulness of the little that is said shows that there must be something very fearful in it. And indeed, when one thinks of the eternal law, "To every seed its own body," (1 Cor. 15:38) one can understand how terrible must be the judgment on all that grows in a future world from the seed which has been nourished here of self-love and unbelief; a judgment in comparison with which any present pain is light affliction. It is thus described:--"And I saw a great white throne, and Him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was not place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and helll delivered up the dead which were in them; and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and h e l l were cast into the Lake of Fire. This is the second death." (Rev. 20:11-14) And yet, awful as it is, who can doubt the end and purpose of this judgment, for "God, the judge of all," (Hebr. 12:23) "changes not," (Mal. 3:6) and "Jesus Christ" is still "the same, yesterday, today, and for the ages." (Hebr. 13:8) And the very context of the passage, which describes the casting of the wicked into the Lake of Fire, seems to show that this resurrection of judgment and the second death are both parts of the same redeeming plan, which necessarily involves judgment on those who will not judge themselves, and have not accepted the loving judgements and sufferings, which in this life prepare the first-born for the first resurrection. So we read,--

All Things Shall Be Made New

"And He that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And He said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. And He said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to him who is athirst of the fountain of life freely. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the Lake which burns with fire and brimstone; which is the second death." (Rev. 21: 5-8)

What does He say here but that "all things shall be made new," though in the way to this the fearful and unbelieving must pass the Lake of Fire. And does not the fact that the threatened judgment comes under, and is part of, the promise, "I make all things new," show that the second death is not outside of or unconnected with it, but is rather the appointed means to bring it about in some cases. Those who overcome inherit all: they are God's sons and heirs. Like Abraham, they are "heirs of the world;" (Rom. 4:13) the world is theirs," (1 Cor. 3:22)to bless it. But the judgment of the wicked, even the second death, is only the conclusion of the same promise, which, under threatened wrath, as in the curse of old upon the serpent, involves the pledge of true blessing.

NOTE: Gen. 3:14-19)"How mysterious are God's ways...Neither to Adam nor to Eve was there one word of comfort spoken. The only hint of such a thing was given in the act of cursing the serpent. The curse involved the blessing"--The Eternal Purpose of God, by A.L. Newton, P.10) What but this could make Paul, who so yearned over his brethren that he "wished himself accursed for them," "have hope," not fear, "that there should be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust." (Compare Rom 9:3 and Acts 24:15)

Our God Controls The Passageways Of Death

The "second death" (Rev. 20:14) therefore, so far from being, as some think, the hopeless shutting up of man for ever in the curse of disobedience, will, if I err not, be God's way to free those who in no other way than by such a death can be delivered out of the dark world, whose life they live in. The saints have died with Christ, not only "to the elements of this world," (Col.2:20) but also "to sin," (Rom. 6:10) that is, the dark spirit-world. By the first they are freed from the bondage of sense; by the second, from the bondage of sin, in all its forms of wrath, pride, envy, and selfishness. The ungodly have not so died to sin. At the death of the body therefore, and still more when they are raised to judgment, because their spirit yet lives, they are still within the limits of that dark and fiery world, the life of which has been and is the life of their spirit. To get out of this world there is but one way, death; not the first, for that has passed, but the second death. Even if we have not the light to see this, ought not the present to teach us something as to God's future ways; for is He not the same yesterday, today, and for ever? We know that, in inflicting present death, His purpose is through death to destroy him that has the power of death, that is the devil. How can we conclude from this, that, in inflicting the second death, the unchanging God will act on a principle entirely different from that which now actuates Him? And why should it be thought a thing incredible that God should raise the dead, who for their sin suffer the penalty of the second death? Does this death exceed the power of Christ to overcome it? Or shall the greater foe still triumph, while the less, the first death, is surely overcome? Who has taught us thus to limit the meaning of the words, "Death is swallowed up in victory"? Is God's "will to save all men" (1 Tim. 2:4) limited to fourscore years, or changed by that event which we call death, but which we are distinctly told is His appointed means for our deliverance? All analogy based on God's past ways leads but to one answer. But when in addition to this we have the most distinct promise, that "as in Adam all die, so in Christ shall all be made alive,"--that "death shall be destroyed,"--that "there shall be no more curse," but "all things made new," and "the restitution of all things;"--when we are further told that "Jesus Christ is the same," that is a Saviour, "yesterday, today, and for the ages;"--the veil must be thick indeed upon man's heart, if spite of such statements "the end of the Lord" is yet hidden from us.

To me too the precepts which God has given are in their way as strong a witness as His direct promises.

Hear the law respecting...

Bondmen, (Deut. 15:12-15

Strangers, (Exod. 22:21/ Lev. 19:33,34)

Debtors, (Deut. 15:1,2,9)

Widows & orphans, (Exo.22:22/ Deut. 24:17)

and the punishment of the wicked, which may not exceed forty stripes, "lest if it exceed, then thy brother should seem vile unto thee;
(Deut. 25:2,3) yea even the law respecting "asses fallen into a pit:" (Ex. 21:33,34/ Deut.23: 4,5)--hear the prophets exhorting to "break every yoke," to "let the oppressed go free," and to "undo the heavy burdens:" (Isa. 58:6)--hear the still clearer witness of the gospel, "not to let the sun go down upon our wrath," (Eph. 4:26) to "forgive not until seven times, but until seventy times seven," (Matt. 18:22) "not to be overcome of evil, but to overcome evil with good:" (Rom. 12:21) to "walk in love as Christ has loved us," and to be imitators of God as dear children:" (Eph. 5:1,2)--see the judgment of those who neglect the poor, and the naked, and the hungry, and the stranger, and the prisoner: (Matt.25:41-43)--and then say,

Shall God do that which He abhors? Shall He command that bondmen and debtors be freed, and yet Himself keep those who are in worse bondage and under a greater debt in endless imprisonment? Shall He bid us care for widows and orphans, and Himself forget this widowed nature, which has lost its Head and Lord, and those poor orphan souls which cannot cry, Abba, Father? Shall He limit punishment to forty strips, "lest thy brother seem vile," and Himself inflict more upon those who though fallen still are His children.? Is not Christ the faithful Israelite, who fulfills the law; and shall He break it in any one of these particulars? Shall He say, "Forgive till seventy times seven," and Himself not forgive except in this short life? Shall He command us to "overcome evil with good," and Himself, the Almighty, be overcome of evil? Shall He judge those who leave the captives unvisited, and Himself leave captives in a worse prison for ever unvisited? Does He not again and again appeal to our own natural feelings of mercy, as witnessing "how much more" we may expect a larger mercy from our "Father which is in heaven"? (Matt. 7:6-11 If it were otherwise, might not the adversary reproach, and say, Thou that teachest and judgest another, teachest Thou not thyself? Not thus will God be justified. But, blessed be His Name, He shall in all be justified. and when in His day He opens "the treasures of the hail," (Job 38:22) and shows what sweet waters He can bring out of hard hailstones; when He unlocks "the place where light now dwells" shut up, and reveals what light is hid in darkness and hardness, as we see in coal and flint, those silent witnesses of the dark hard hearts, which God can turn to floods of light; when we have "taken darkness to the bound thereof," (Job 38:19,20) and have seen not only how "the earth is full of God's riches," but how He has laid up the depths in storehouses; (Psl. 104: 24...Psl. 33:7) in that day when "the mystery of God is finished," and He has destroyed them which corrupt the earth," (Rev. 11:18)--then shall it be seen how truly God's judgments are love, and that "in very faithfulness He hath afflicted us." (Psl. 119:75) Andrew Jukes

Upvote 0

OldShepherd

Zaqunraah
Mar 11, 2002
EST
✟21,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OldShepherd if you cannot or will not answer our questions that is fine. Let's ask a few more on the basis of what you have just posted. But first, knowing the scribbling of J. Preston Eby satisfy you not, let's consider Andrew Jukes a remarkable student of Greek and Hebrew and a man of Spirit and Life to boot. He asks a question that each of us must answer.
Once again you have ignored everything I posted, threw up a big chunk of writing from someone I have never heard of, and expect me to respond to you. If you can't tell me yourself, refer me to a source where I can read about Jukes' "remarkable" Greek and Hebrew accomplishments, Concordances, lexicons, grammars, things like that the has written, etc. My last post was scripture, one before that was a quote from the Jewish encyclopedia, also interpreting scripture about the eternal place of the d#mned, if you cannot or will not respond to me that is fine.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Good morning OldShepherd...Thankyou for your post.

Old Shepherd

Excuse me? What is this jump into the middle of an ongoing discussion, ignore everything that has been posted, do not address anything that I have said, and then start demanding that I answer a long laundry list of fallacious questions?

FineLinen

Oh, but our dear old Shepherd, I am following the discussion (the ongoing discussion) with great interest. I have indeed "jumped in" to the discussion, and although you have assumed the questions are "demanding", you can choose to ignore them at your leisure. I have saved the long list for a little later in the discussion. This, my dear Old Shepherd, is the shorter list. I do not desire to overwhelm your old heart and mind!

Fallacious=

Deceptive or misleading.

Containing or involving a fallacy.

Delusive.

I will ask you which of the questions on the "long laundry list" are fallacious?....and on what basis?

Questions

5. Define olethros.

6. Define aeonial.

Old Shepherd

If you would like to engage me in discussion then address the issues I have already posted and since you think you are going to stump me with your questions, why don't you lead off by answering them yourself and I will tell you if you are right or wrong.

FineLinen

Stumping you, Old Shepherd, I know will be impossible, and stumping you is not my desire. Answering the questions poised, I will attempt to do indeed, but I do not understand all the musterion of the Father's ways. Do you have the stones upon your breast of the Urim and the Thummin? As far as "leading off" with the answers for you to judge correct or not, right or wrong: it has been my experience that none of us are capable of knowing all things, nor the answers of the Holy. And that, Old Shepherd, includes you, although you surely do not believe it!

Old Shepherd

I couldn't care less. And Oh BTW I started learning to speak Greek the year that Elvis and I were stationed in Germany and I studied both Biblical Hebrew and Greek about 2 decades later and I own TWOT, BAGD, BDB, TDNT. You want to talk languages?

FineLinen

I am sorry you "couldn't care less." That is a dangerous attitude if you long to walk in the Father's heart. We are pleased, however, with your experience of being stationed in Germany with Elvis! Your knowledge of Koine Greek and ancient Hebrew should put you in good position for the following discussions. We are pleased with what you own, and yes, I want to talk "languages".

Upvote 0

OldShepherd

Zaqunraah
Mar 11, 2002
EST
✟21,242.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good morning OldShepherd...Thankyou for your post.

I am sorry you "couldn't care less." That is a dangerous attitude if you long to walk in the Father's heart. We are pleased, however, with your experience of being stationed in Germany with Elvis! Your knowledge of Koine Greek and ancient Hebrew should put you in good position for the following discussions. We are pleased with what you own, and yes, I want to talk "languages".
Here is an attempt to twist my words. To what was I responding, "I couldn't care less?" The entire post? No! Only to the final paragraph, an irrelevant quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson. My lack of interest in Emerson certainly holds no danger for, and has absolutely nothing to do with, my relationship with the father, as you deceptively imply.

And I'm just as pleased as punch that you are so pleased about the information I shared. I see you totally missed the relevance. I mentioned a chronological reference in there, which you either ignored or were unable to see.
6. Define aeonial.
You might want to recheck your source this word does NOT occur in the N.T. You could be referring to some form of aiwn.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
OldShepherd....you posted....

Key Facts About Eternity

(1) Everyone will exist eternally either in heaven or hell (Daniel 12:2,3; Matthew 25:46; John 5:28; Revelation 20:4,5).

(2) Everyone has only one life in which to determine their destiny (Hebrews 9:27).

(3) Heaven or hell is determined by whether a person believes (puts their trust) in Christ alone to save them (John 3:16, 36, etc.).

Key Passages About Hell

(1) Hell was designed originally for Satan and his demons (Matthew 25:41; Revelation 20:10).

(2) Hell will also punish the sin of those who reject Christ (Matthew 13:41,49; Revelation 20:11-15; 21:8).

(3) Hell is conscious torment.

Matthew 13:49 “furnace of fire…weeping and gnashing of teeth”

Mark 9:48 “where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched”

Revelation 14:10 “he will be tormented with fire and brimstone”

FineLinen

These are amazing "facts".

The uses of the word "torment" in the New Covenant

1. It is used of one sick of the palsy (grieviously tormented.) Matt. 8:6

2. It is used of the disciples ship in Galilee, and is translated "tossed with waves." (Matt. 14:24

3. It is translated by the word "toiling" in Mark 6:48

4. It is translated by the word "vexed" in speaking of Lot (2 Pet. 2:8)

5. It is translated by a word that means birth- pangs". (Rev 12:2)

6. In other Scriptures it is translated as "torment" or "tormented."

The meaning of this word, and its usage, harmonizes with the idea of Divine purification and the torment which is the test to find whether there has been any change or not in the sufferer. Through the loving and hidden purpose of God, every pang of torment will be a birth-pang and the grace of God will not be absent.

The original idea of the word torment is the verb "to put to the test by rubbing on a touchstone." It means to put to the test, or "question by applying some test or torture to discover whether it is true or not." The original ideas was to test some metal that looked like gold to find whether it was real or not. It also signifies "to torture in order to extort a confession."

And now, Old Shepherd, what does Paliggenesia (a combination of palin & genesis) mean to you?

"See, I am making everything new..."  Rev. 21:5

Questions

1. Does our Lord make everything new, or only some things?

2. I will again ask you to define what the Koine Greek for Brimstone is?...Pur Theion..... And the Hebrew.....

Brimstone=________________________________________?

Brimstone=________________________________________?

"Those who know God, or have but begun to catch a far-off glimmer of His gloriousness, of what He is, regard life as insupportable save God be All in all, the first and the last." 

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.