Sarasota
✟38,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can God make someone love you? Yes. That is a given.
The real question is, does he?

Obviously God is Almighty. He can give or put a desire in someone's heart to make them love you (romantically, for marriage)
or put the desire in your heart to love someone you thought you couldn't or didn't love before.

The question is really, does he do this? If so, how would we know? Is there anyway to prove this or do we just believe it by
anecdotal faith?

So in my case, I'm a single guy looking for a life partner. I'm at the age where I should be settling down and am already late at the game.
There is someone I am interested in at my church. In fact, I wasn't romantically interested or attracted to her for the first few weeks
I attended. I had seen her, met briefly but I was never interested in her in that way.

But oddly and suddenly out of the blue, one day it's like my eyes were opened and my heart was tugged and I found myself suddenly
very attracted to her and desiring her (to the point where I already started believe I'll marry her).

But she hasn't been that open to me yet. Maybe she's a little shy, or because I'm new, she doesn't trust people she doesn't know well.
So I've been praying because I felt like God really opened my eyes to her but why her eyes or heart hasn't opened to me yet? And when
will the LORD put that desire in her to see me the way I see her?

Then it got me thinking, does God really do this? Does he really play matchmaker? Obviously he would be the world's greatest
matchmaker if he did since he knows everything about everything and who would be best coupled together etc.

But the last couple meets, I feel she is starting to open up to me. She's looking at me more and reciprocating whereas a few weeks
ago she was cold. Could God possibly be putting the desire in her heart just as he put it in mine or does God not do this and let
us FREELY CHOOSE out of our own free will?

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

Obviously God is Almighty. He can give or put a desire in someone's heart to make them love you (romantically, for marriage)
or put the desire in your heart to love someone you thought you couldn't or didn't love before.

The question is really, does he do this? If so, how would we know? Is there anyway to prove this or do we just believe it by
anecdotal faith?

So in my case, I'm a single guy looking for a life partner. I'm at the age where I should be settling down and am already late at the game.
There is someone I am interested in at my church. In fact, I wasn't romantically interested or attracted to her for the first few weeks
I attended. I had seen her, met briefly but I was never interested in her in that way.

But oddly and suddenly out of the blue, one day it's like my eyes were opened and my heart was tugged and I found myself suddenly
very attracted to her and desiring her (to the point where I already started believe I'll marry her).

But she hasn't been that open to me yet. Maybe she's a little shy, or because I'm new, she doesn't trust people she doesn't know well.
So I've been praying because I felt like God really opened my eyes to her but why her eyes or heart hasn't opened to me yet? And when

Then it got me thinking, does God really do this? Does he really play matchmaker? Obviously he would be the world's greatest
matchmaker if he did since he knows everything about everything and who would be best coupled together etc.

But the last couple meets, I feel she is starting to open up to me. She's looking at me more and reciprocating whereas a few weeks
ago she was cold. Could God possibly be putting the desire in her heart just as he put it in mine or does God not do this and let

God can bring two people together by setting up situations and circumstances, but God does not possess….the adversary does……….. but not God.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
God can bring two people together by setting up situations and circumstances, but God does not possess….the adversary does……….. but not God.
I don't think he's asking if God possesses

Reactions: seeker2122
Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican

anecdotal faith?

i believe God can change situations so that someone sees more of who you really are and who they really are. Ultimately it is our choice to pursue but God can set the scene so to speak

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
GOD can Turn us all into stones, be it his will to do so.
don't think GODS going to make someone fell in love with someone else...
He Might tell someone that they are meant to be with someone else and lead them into a situation that causes that union to occur

Upvote 0

seeker2122

Sep 29, 2022
Sarasota
✟38,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
thanks for the replies so far.

Any biblical reference to men or women being given a desire in their heart OR their eyes opened to someone to eventually be married to?

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is in Genesis where God said Eve will "desire" for her husband.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think he's asking if God possesses
I see where you got the impression, at first glance i didn't realize that was referencing what he said and i thought for a second you were just saying "God does not possess" out of left field. I was wrong sorry man

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

anecdotal faith?

I've had people tell me God showed them who they were going to marry after meeting them. I'm wondering what exactly you mean by "desire"?. You can also watch testimonies, (delafe testimonies on YouTube is a good one) there are people who say God bought them together with their husband or wife. He doesn't take away choice, but if God created 2 people to be together, then it seems it would come naturally like Adam and Eve.

Upvote 0

seeker2122

Sep 29, 2022
Sarasota
✟38,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've had people tell me God showed them who they were going to marry after meeting them. I'm wondering what exactly you mean by "desire"?. You can also watch testimonies, (delafe testimonies on YouTube is a good one) there are people who say God bought them together with their husband or wife. He doesn't take away choice, but if God created 2 people to be together, then it seems it would come naturally like Adam and Eve.

My spiritual mentor, a man of God, who has been serving God for 40 years ministry, still at it today had a story of how he met his wife too.
I always thought it was so "wow". He says that in his university days, God told him he was to marry this person (x) and he obeyed. He proposed
to her at her dorm door and she agreed but they had to finish graduating first and then they got married about 2-3 years after that initial call by God. They've been happily married since now 40 years, have 3 kids, and continue to do ministry together around the world, building churches, etc.

I always found that to be so interesting how God might reveal to some who specifically they will marry and to go make the proposal. If the girl didn't want to marry him, she could have said no and reject him, but it seems that if God tells you to marry "X" person, that when you go that person, God would have already given them an open heart or desire for you.

Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My spiritual mentor, a man of God, who has been serving God for 40 years ministry, still at it today had a story of how he met his wife too.
I always thought it was so "wow". He says that in his university days, God told him he was to marry this person (x) and he obeyed. He proposed
to her at her dorm door and she agreed but they had to finish graduating first and then they got married about 2-3 years after that initial call by God. They've been happily married since now 40 years, have 3 kids, and continue to do ministry together around the world, building churches, etc.

I always found that to be so interesting how God might reveal to some who specifically they will marry and to go make the proposal. If the girl didn't want to marry him, she could have said no and reject him, but it seems that if God tells you to marry "X" person, that when you go that person, God would have already given them an open heart or desire for you.
Yes, but this is also a difficult thing to address as well. Many people are lonely and have hope that they will meet "the one", I don't think it's realistic to believe God has someone for everyone, because it depends what he's called a person to. Your story for example, turned out to be a couple called to ministry.

I'll elaborate by saying, I have not been married or had children (mainly due to trauma and a lack of trust, but other reasons as well). God has been "unearthing" this buried trauma the past year and I have cried more this past year than I have the last 10. I was in my car one day and emotions came up and I think I'm too old to have a family but I remember Abraham and Sarah from the bible and so I asked God if I still could, that he would lead me to the right person. His answer was that He was my husband. (Because the church is his bride). It wasn't easy to accept at first, but I figure there must be a reason he wants me to remain single, so I just keep moving forward.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Does he really play matchmaker? Obviously he would be the world's greatest
Well, based on my experience, just be careful if there is (or will be) mutual feelings between you two. I made the mistake of interpreting mutual feelings between a me and a woman a long time ago as being God's will for us both to get married, only to end up breaking up and never talking to each other again. It made me question the whole relationship from the beginning, and then, when it was too late, I saw that my own feelings was interfering with my personal judgement. We were both Christians at the time, too, and the same age and from the same religious tradition.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

anecdotal faith?

I would say no. He does not force love upon anyone. We have free will.
Blessings.

Reactions: Sesame Seed
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Obviously God is Almighty. He can give or put a desire in someone's heart to make them love you (romantically, for marriage)
or put the desire in your heart to love someone you thought you couldn't or didn't love before."

No He can not ever do this. He can not ever go against mans will. He can only do good. Now this girl has free will. He will never make her love anyone not even God. So if some girl or guy says "no" no means no that's all it means. I kissed a girl once told her the next day I was sorry. No matter what I said she would say back "that does not mean God won't bring us together". I would say "I don't like you that way. I don't want you now or ever" She would say "that does not mean God wont bring us together". Well God never brought us together. Why? because I have a will and God will never no matter how much that girl liked me wanted me prayed about me. I still have a will of my own.

Respect what others say and want regardless of what we want. In cases like this :) Tell Him what you want and know He will open all the doors. Give it trust it to Him.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

anecdotal faith?

A few decades ago when I was single, and in the mission field, a sister told me that God had told her that we were to marry. I responded, "sorry sister by God did not tell me the same." We did not get married.

While it's essential to put the Lord Jesus center of our lives, there is danger in presuming that he is always thinking as we are thinking. Balance is key. Prayer is answered in solid circumstances.

I would not put too much weight on looks and glances. Proper interaction is needed.

[Pro 18:22 NIV] He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
A few decades ago when I was single, and in the mission field, a sister told me that God had told her that we were to marry. I responded, "sorry sister by God did not tell me the same." We did not get married.

While it's essential to put the Lord Jesus center of our lives, there is danger in presuming that he is always thinking as we are thinking. Balance is key. Prayer is answered in solid circumstances.

I would not put too much weight on looks and glances. Proper interaction is needed.

[Pro 18:22 NIV] He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD.

In addition to a couple situation like yours.... I have had a few ..."God to me to tell you" I learned pretty quickly that God will tell me first....if I don't listen.... then God may work with other people to instruct me.
Paul wanting to go to Jerusalem (Act 20:22-Act 21:14) is a prime example.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If I were the OP I'd be careful. The devil can play this sort of game as well and he's pretty good at it. He can set up people for a lot of heartbreak if they're not careful.

I had an ambarassing crush on a young lady in the church I attended years ago. The pastor was trying to talk me out of it, and so was everybody else. In the end I was travelling on a bus one day whining in my mind about this issue when a voice just said out of the blue "Bob! Is (young lady's name) suited to you!??" with a distinct emphasis on the word "suited". In other words, "NO!".

Eventually I did meet my current wife (31 years married now) through a Christian singles group, as advised by the pastor. He said "If you go there, you'll both be looking for the same thing." Are there any Christian singles groups you could investigate? Most churches are fairly small playing fields in the romantic sense.

I did have the advantage of a humorous best man. I'm hard of hearing, so he saw that as an opportunity for a joke during one of his speeches at the reception.

He said I was sitting at a bus stop. The lady next to me said "Excuse me!" After a couple of times I got the message and said "Yes?"

She said "You've got some jelly and custard hangin out of your ear!"

I said "What?"

She repeated, "You've got some jelly and custard hanging out of your ear!"

After a couple more times I heard what she said.

I replied, "Oh, that's all right! I'm a trifle deaf!"...

Incidentally the honeymoon phase doesn't last long before it's down to the boring nitty gritty of married life. I think CS Lewis said in some respects it's almost like a business relationship. You know - who's taking the rubbish out, who is doing the shopping, who is taking the kids to school, did you remember to lock the door, and "I'm washing my hair, so I'll take longer in the shower!"

To repeat I'd be careful if I were the OP. Consider a singles group if there is one.

• Love
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
does God really do this? Does he really play matchmaker?
I was single for 17 years. I was engaged maybe 5 times. I told God if it was not His will then slam the door shut and He did. Finally, He felt I was ready and He provided me with a wife. Not all I thought I wanted or needed. But she is a wonderful loving, caring, giving person. We have been married for 25 years.

In general God puts His love in us for people. He loves them through us. We are a vessel used for honor. Even if she loved me as much as she loves her brothers. That is a lot more than a lot of people have in their marriage. Even if we can not get the marriage to work. We are still brothers and sisters in the Lord and she is still my friend.

• Love
Upvote 0

seeker2122

Sep 29, 2022
Sarasota
✟38,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Obviously God is Almighty. He can give or put a desire in someone's heart to make them love you (romantically, for marriage)
or put the desire in your heart to love someone you thought you couldn't or didn't love before."

No He can not ever do this. He can not ever go against mans will. He can only do good. Now this girl has free will. He will never make her love anyone not even God. So if some girl or guy says "no" no means no that's all it means. I kissed a girl once told her the next day I was sorry. No matter what I said she would say back "that does not mean God won't bring us together". I would say "I don't like you that way. I don't want you now or ever" She would say "that does not mean God wont bring us together". Well God never brought us together. Why? because I have a will and God will never no matter how much that girl liked me wanted me prayed about me. I still have a will of my own.

Respect what others say and want regardless of what we want. In cases like this :) Tell Him what you want and know He will open all the doors. Give it trust it to Him.

I 100% disagree unless you can show me Scripture that proves this.

God does go against man's will. He must. Man has a sinful will. He flees God. That is all man can do. Man cannot seek God.
It is God who seeks us. God pursues us. God seizes, arrests, and grabs a hold of us FIRST.

Scripture shows this everywhere....God calls Abraham, God calls Saul to Paul....
Philippians 3:12-14 - Paul says I take HOLD of that for which CHRIST JESUS TOOK HOLD OF ME (first).

God makes us love Him. He gives us the ability and capacity to KNOW him therefore to LOVE him. If he can't do this to us,
then man is dead in their sins and no hope for redemption and saving for man CANNOT WILL HIMSELF to love God and love
holiness.

But in the case of what I was asking about if God can put a desire in our hearts for someone or open our hearts and eyes to see
someone, I do believe He works in that way. I just don't know exactly how and to what extent.

I do agree in your last sentence 100% Telling God what I want and trusting in Him he will provide. Yes, 100% agree!

Bless

Upvote 0

seeker2122

Sep 29, 2022
Sarasota
✟38,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I used to say "balance" is key. I later learned that balance is nothing. Only obedience is key. (1 Sam. 15:22)

I do agree that I have to be careful with looks and glances. Proper interaction is needed! 100% true brother!

Upvote 0