Does God love everyone or just his sheep?

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
This question came to me today. Does God love everyone or is his love only select to his sheep? Scripture doesnt really have many answers on the subject so I'm really curious. Also, does Jesus love us? It definitely doesn't seem that way at times...

If God loved everyone, that would mean he would also love spirits in hell. Since demons are aligned with Satan, who is God's mortal enemy, it therefore doesn't make sense to say that God loves everyone.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay so, most people in this thread say that God loves everyone. I suppose since God created us all that he would automatically love us. It would only make sense to assume that. But what about his non elect? Does he love them? He would naturally be disappointed in those who don't come to Jesus for salvation. But, would he love them?

I just picked up on the idea that you think of God the Father only when you think of God.

It was Jesus Christ who breathed life into Adam.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I just picked up on the idea that you think of God the Father only when you think of God.

It was Jesus Christ who breathed life into Adam.

Forgive me...

When I say God I meant the whole Trinity. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I did think that it was Jesus Christ who breathed life into Adam although I never really thought about that much.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I say God I meant the whole Trinity. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I did think that it was Jesus Christ who breathed life into Adam although I never really thought about that much.

It might be important to your equation. If it was Christ who created man, and Christ who redeemed man... who is it that is supposed to love some of us less?

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If God loved everyone, that would mean he would also love spirits in hell. Since demons are aligned with Satan, who is God's mortal enemy, it therefore doesn't make sense to say that God loves everyone.
Oh, yes, he hates them so much, that he allows them a will to choose good or evil, and they choose evil all the time, and to exist in a place with evil in it...

Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Oh, yes, he hates them so much, that he allows them a will to choose good or evil, and they choose evil all the time, and to exist in a place with evil in it...

So what's your point?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
God loves even Satan, but they chose hell, God did/does not send them there...

Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

Where does the Bible say that God loves Satan, his mortal enemy and enemy of all Christians?

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

And yet HE stated that it was prepared for them.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Forgive me...
Yes, you want to get into How the Father is greater than God, the Son, and how the Father can do whatever he wants and be just...

Also, yes Hell was made for ones who would continually of their own will choose evil and reject good all the time, doesn't mean that God, the Son anyway, knew which individuals were which yet, As God (The Son) in the OT as YHWH...

True Love has to always allow them to make their own choices with their own will, whether good or bad...

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Forgive me...
True Love has to allow at least the possibility of evil, at least, in the beginning or start... Until it no longer has to be so...

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Where does the Bible say that God loves Satan, his mortal enemy and enemy of all Christians?
God is Love... Love your enemies, like God does... Pray for them, feed them, give them a drink, ect... Do good to them... Like God does...

But they hate his goodness, especially towards them, being jealous over us... They don't like or hate God's goodness, and reject it due to some personal problems or issues involving us...

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
God is Love... Love your enemies, like God does... Pray for them, feed them, give them a drink, ect... Do good to them... Like God does...

But they hate his goodness, especially towards them, being jealous over us... They don't like or hate God's goodness, and reject it due to some personal problems or issues involving us...
God makes it rain on the just and unjust alike, (or will bless the just and unjust alike) and he is no respecter of person's, and he does not treat people with partiality, loving them all equally and the same...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This question came to me today. Does God love everyone or is his love only select to his sheep? Scripture doesnt really have many answers on the subject so I'm really curious. Also, does Jesus love us? It definitely doesn't seem that way at times...

Because we really do seem (in accord with many scriptures presenting choice to us) real freedom to choose, to me it seems it's kindness when the Shepherd pulls at you with His staff, to bring you back. Because we have real freedom though, we can still insist on going away, such as through sin, off the path He is guiding us towards. When He pulls at us, corrects us (one wording people use is we "hit bottom"), this really is kindness ultimately. When we turn to Him, then we can also feel how profound loving this is, and it's....unfailing kindness --

3 The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying:
“I have loved you with an everlasting love;
I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.

4 I will build you up again,
and you, Virgin Israel, will be rebuilt.
Again you will take up your timbrels
and go out to dance with the joyful.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Someone has already quoted John 3:16 but I just want to tack on John 3:17 as well, it's equally important to note concerning this question.

God indeed loves everyone. It's why Jesus ate with and chose sinners as His disciples. They became His sheep and they remained in His love by abiding in the Vine.
John 15:9-17 - if we do as Christ commanded us then we remain in His love just as Christ remained in His Father's love. :yellowheart:

John 15:1-8

His love seems to suggest both unconditional love and conditional love. Regardless, He loves us apart from sin - but that is a whole other topic and I will just end it here. I don't want to derail the thread.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This question came to me today. Does God love everyone or is his love only select to his sheep?
Does scripture say anything about God hating evil? Do you think that God loves Satan? Do you think God loves a person that is possessed with one of Satan's demons? Do you believe that God knows all who will be sent to hell for eternal punishment? So if God knows he will judge one to eternal hell for their love of evil and following Satan, why would he love them?

But, we need to understand that love has two parts; the state and the action. When two people are "in love" they respond with certain actions. When parents love their children, they respond with good actions. When warring tribes kill each other generation after generation, they are doing so because they hate each other.

Now God does not act as we so often do; for a human with unchecked power would bring harm and suffering to one they hate. God is the judge and one day he will judge all. We don't judge because we don't know the final state of one that appears lost forever. Until they die, there is a chance for them to repent. For this reason Jesus taught us to love our enemies. His text is often used to prove that God loves all, but look closely and it is teaching to act with love even to those that do evil. It does not teach that God loves their heart.

Matthew 5:43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.​

So we have this dichotomy. Love all, hate evil. The love all we do with our actions as we should treat all the same. The hate evil is the state/mindset that we should be repulsed by evil deeds and stay away from them.

Since God knows if an evil person will never repent and become one of his, he can hate that person. We don't know the future and can't judge so. For this reason God can hate the evil people. The best we can do is to say love the person, hate the sin/action.

Regardless, the actions of God and us are the same. Just as God sends sun and rain on the wicked, we must act kindly towards the wicked.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God (including Jesus) loves everyone. John 3:16..."for God so loved the *world*..."

However, it doesn't mean that everyone will be saved since we still have to choose whether or not we will accept Jesus's gift of grace.
But what does *world* mean? So many base their belief on only half a sentence. Are cows part of the world? How about trees? And rocks? Read the second part of the same sentence to see who God loves and sent his Son to die for. That would be those that believe.

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Upvote 0