Does God love everyone or just his sheep?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟909,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This question came to me today. Does God love everyone or is his love only select to his sheep? Scripture doesnt really have many answers on the subject so I'm really curious. Also, does Jesus love us? It definitely doesn't seem that way at times...

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This question came to me today. Does God love everyone or is his love only select to his sheep? Scripture doesnt really have many answers on the subject so I'm really curious. Also, does Jesus love us? It definitely doesn't seem that way at times...

Scripture clearly shows Christ dieing for his sheep.

Also those who don't belong to him, belong to the kingdom of the evil one, so I would say Christ came to die for his sheep, and he loves his sheep only.

John 10:25-30
“I already told you,” Jesus replied, “but you did not believe. The works I do in My Father’s name testify on My behalf. But because you are not My sheep, you refuse to believe. 27My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them out of My hand. My Father who has given them to Me is greater than all. No one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
...does Jesus love us? It definitely doesn't seem that way at times...
John 10
10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
11 I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.

It seems the answer is "yes" :amen:

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
God (including Jesus) loves everyone. John 3:16..."for God so loved the *world*..."

However, it doesn't mean that everyone will be saved since we still have to choose whether or not we will accept Jesus's gift of grace.

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, does Jesus love us? It definitely doesn't seem that way at times...

The question is Do you love God ?
Matt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.

If you want to seek His righteousness you should live in righteousness first.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
"And I have other sheep that are not of this fold (the elect)... Those I must bring in and gather together also" (John 10:16)

His primary fold of sheep is the elect, but the others, many, many other folds, are of the great crowd, to numerous to number...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God is Love. This is Gods character and He always acts in accordance with His character.

You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbori and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5)

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
BTW it is His defining characteristic of Love that makes YHWH a clearly separate and supreme being to Allah, it makes YHWH definitively the Maximally Greatest Conceivable Being above all over gods and all other names that could conceivably exist.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God almighty loves all of His creation. He doesn't always like what they do. Jesus gave His life and resurrected again to prove His power over evil. It is up to us to accept or reject it, but He still loves everyone.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
"And I have other sheep that are not of this fold (the elect)... Those I must bring in and gather together also" (John 10:16)

His primary fold of sheep is the elect, but the others, many, many other folds, are of the great crowd, to numerous to number...

God Bless!
Hi Neo, I believe the sheep that made up Jesus' primary fold were the ones He came here to minister to specifically while He lived among us, the Jews. The other sheep He spoke of in John 10:16, who would become "one flock with one Shepherd" together with the children of Israel, were the Gentiles.

Yours and His,
David

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Hi,
God loves you. When you accept Father God, Jesus as Saviour and Holy Spirit as great comforter, you are loved indeed.

I think God loves everyone as he has created us all. But those who turn away from Him disappoint Him and He cannot help them. It is our choice purely. He cannot force us to love Him.

Concentrate on who YOU think Jesus is. That way lies pure peace and surety.

Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi Neo, I believe the sheep that made up Jesus' primary fold were the ones He came here to minister to specifically, the Jews. The other sheep He spoke of in John 10:16, who would become "one flock with one Shepherd" together with the children of Israel, were the Gentiles.

Yours and His,
David
Works for Jew and Gentile, elect, non-elect, since the elect are Jews, and the other folds, yes, Gentiles, or the non-elect...

The OP only mentioned the elect and I didn't want to confuse the issue...

But, when Jesus refers to folds of sheep, he is talking about "people groups" that he needs to separate the sheep from the goats in that group, and bring the sheep from those folds, into his other folds/fold...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,301.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This question came to me today. Does God love everyone or is his love only select to his sheep? Scripture doesnt really have many answers on the subject

Yes it does.
It says that ALL have sinned, Romans 3:23.
And it says that Christ died for sinners, Romans 5:6-8.

Also, does Jesus love us?

Of course - he laid down his life for us, Mark 10:45; John 1:29.

It definitely doesn't seem that way at times...

That's because Scripture says we should walk by faith, not by sight, and the devil wants us to walk by sight and not by faith. He wants us to look at all our problems, feelings etc and say "THIS is all there is, and THIS is proof of what God thinks about me."
The devil is a liar and a murderer; God has already told, and shown, us how much he loves us.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does God love everyone or is his love only select to his sheep? Scripture doesnt really have many answers on the subject
It helps if one reads what scripture says and think about it!
God created the universe and this world. ~He gave life to everyone, he provides for everyone showing no favouretism. He made it clear through creation that there is a God.
He gave us rules, instructions how to live and he even provides away for us to be saved.

I would say that all of creation and all of the bible screams out that God loves us all.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God qualifies His love in different ways, the same as we do. God has a general love for all mankind. God has a redemptive love just for His elect. God's love is not the same for all mankind.

I love God. I love my wife. My love for God is very different than my love for my wife. I love my neighbors wife in the sense as she is created in the image of God and that I am to treat her life as a human being with dignity and respect. But I in no way love someone else's wife the same as I love my wife.

God differentiates His love, different between His elect and the non-elect. God grants common grace to all mankind, but God grants redemptive grace to only His elect. God's love is not some peanut butter grace spread evenly over all mankind in the same way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God Bless!

The "fold" is not referring to the elect in this context. Jesus was referring to the Jews and the Gentiles, meaning that Jesus' salvation was not solely for the Jews just because they were Jews. Jesus does not save the non-elect.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The "fold" is not referring to the elect in this context. Jesus was referring to the Jews and the Gentiles, meaning that Jesus' salvation was not solely for the Jews just because they were Jews. Jesus does not save the non-elect.
The Jews, who are Jews in their heart that Jesus has to get first, are the elect... The Jewish fold is the elect...

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If he only loved those who worshipped him, then he wouldn't be the father of Jesus. (google what thank have ye)

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I'm not going to read the other posts. All of us! Every single one of us.

We are created out of God's love for mankind. He even took our image and became one of us so that we would not slip away into nothing.

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

God is for us, not against us.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟909,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Okay so, most people in this thread say that God loves everyone. I suppose since God created us all that he would automatically love us. It would only make sense to assume that. But what about his non elect? Does he love them? He would naturally be disappointed in those who don't come to Jesus for salvation. But, would he love them?

Upvote 0