• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Does Autism come from the devil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
The nature of work and life has changed, too. There's far more emphasis on emotional intelligence and sociability, far more service jobs that are dependent on quickly responding to different people's emotions. People are just less overlooking of oddities in behavior that used to go unnoticed.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I look at my daughter now, and I realise that if I were a child today, teachers would be recommending that I be assessed for a developmental disorder such as autism. But back in the eighties (and before) that level of awareness/prompting wasn't there.

I don't think we have more autism now than we used to. I think it is more readily recognised and diagnosed than it used to be.

And genes certainly have changed over the last twenty years. Look at cancer, which is unambiguously a genetic disease (by which I mean that it is dysregulation of genes which causes cancerous growth). The rates are much higher today than they were even in living memory. There are all sorts of reasons why, but it shows that we do see changing rates of genetic health problems.

The suggestion that vaccines correlate with autism levels has been thoroughly debunked. The original claims rested on faked data.

Vaccines save countless lives and it is irresponsible to spread misinformation which may discourage parents from vaccinating.

You are not accusing me of spreading misinformation are you? I just quoted from scientific medical journals. I didn't even comment on them.

And you do not know that vaccines have saved lives because there is no objective way to test that. The only way would be to give one group the vaccine and not give another group the vaccine and then expose everybody to the virus and then see who gets sick and who doesn't. Diseases such as Polio and Smallpox were already on the decline by the time the vaccines were administered.

• Agree
Reactions: Joshua_5
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We do know that vaccines have saved lives. We do indeed have vaccinated and unvaccinated groups, and we can see which groups the illnesses continue to circulate in (hint: it's not the vaccinated groups). We don't have to set it up that way; relative wealth and poverty does it for us. The epidemiological basis for vaccination is very soundly established.

As my mother - who trained as a nurse in Africa and did some work in the sorts of poverty-stricken areas where people don't get basic healthcare like vaccines - has told me, nobody who's actually seen what happens when diseases ravage unvaccinated communities would ever question their value.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
No way, autism doesn't come from the devil. It doesn't come from vaccines, either. I loathe that myth. My sister has Asperger's (diagnosed before she was ever vaccinated btw), & I know it's extremely challenging sometimes. She's doing really great though. Finding stuff she's passionate about & really great at has helped her so much. She's a CS major & she minors in music.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Stephanie Seneff is a senior research scientist at the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). She received three degrees from MIT, including a doctoral degree in computer science in 1985. Her research at CSAIL relates to improving communication between humans and computers. In 2011, she began publishing controversial papers in low-impact, open access journals on biology and medical topics; the articles have received "heated objections from experts in most every field she’s delved into."

From here: Stephanie Seneff - Wikipedia

I don't think someone who's an expert in computer science is qualified to make epidemiological analyses. You can't assume that autism rates will continue to grow as they have, without demonstrating why they have been growing, and that those conditions will continue to cause growth.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It cannot be genetic. Autism rates have skyrocketed over the last 20 years.
Better detection rates.

When I worked for several years for a charity in the U.K. supporting young adults with ASD to live independent lives one young man I worked with was put in one room by his mum and nan until he was about seven because they simply did not know what ASD was.

We diagnose it more because we know what symptoms to look for.

It is largely genetic.

How woukd you explain your claim of ASD rates sky rocketing in the last 20?when thimerosal has been largely removed from vaccines since early 2000?

It was supposed to be the smoking gun.

• Agree
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It is projected that about 40% - 50% of all children will have autism. I can't remember by what year they had this projection for.
Interesting claim.

Can you provide a link to the study that predicts this?

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If you are talking about the future autism rate i dont remember exactly where i heard it but I did a quick google search.

https://www.focusforhealth.org/autism-in-2025/
Stephanie Seneff, PhD has been reported saying that “At today’s rate, by 2025, one in two children will be autistic.”
It has been explained to you that the rates seem to have have increased because the rate of detection has increased.

An anti vax website could easily claim that it is appropriate to extrapolate directly from that data.

The website you cite is scaremongering and it works in people who don't know how prevalence rates in health studies work.

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Were you born Autistic?

I feel that I was not born autistic and that is just my opinion my memory is not great. But my mother says I did not cry like the rest of the babies and that I had limited facial expressions and lacked interest in at times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't have thought so. If one of your parents was Autistic, then genetics shows you have a higher chance of inheriting it.

Both my Dad and grandfather showed signs of aspergers and on my mom side is mental illness as well both my mom and her sister. I come from a line. I'm just glad and appreciative that I was born in the 20th century where people are no longer burned and or tortured for mental illness's sake.

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
More awareness leads to more diagnoses. Growing up, nobody told me I was autistic. Because my parents didn't pick up on it because they have some of the traits too. People just thought I was different. Maybe once a counsellor tried to talk to my parents about something she picked up on, but they were far too defensive to listen.

That's like me, most people can not tell anything is wrong with me, but that I am just different and not conformed to this world. My language does not flow, I hesitate, and I am extremely shy. I wish I could be born again I with all my intelligence I have know so I could learn to socialize like I am suppose to.

I believe my psychiatrist is just throwing the book of mental illness at me trying to see what sticks. So far I relate with Asperger's and that my depression/anxieties/delusions/agoraphobia/schizoaffective disorder are from my poor social skillls, lack of being around people, and isolating myself from the outdoors and reality.

I stay in the house 23 out of 24 hours a day it's like I am in prison and that I am in segregation.

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The nature of work and life has changed, too. There's far more emphasis on emotional intelligence and sociability, far more service jobs that are dependent on quickly responding to different people's emotions. People are just less overlooking of oddities in behavior that used to go unnoticed.

True I have so many barriers to get to the same spot a Neurotypical is. I have to carefully navigate my path to find the sweet spot to where I need to be.

My psychiatrist says I can go to college and get extra time on tests but in order to do that I have to take my meds and see a in school councilor.

If I refuse meds then i can go to an adult learning program then to University.

I'm going to take the next 6 months to see if I do best on or off meds using my psychiatrist advice

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lately I seen a lot of vids on youtube mentioning that people with autism should have a exorcsim. Is this what all Christians perspective is, or can one live with autism and serve God?

Should autism be fought or accepted in the Christian community?
Let me start by saying, first, that I am a Charismatic Christian, an Aspie and have been involved in deliverance before (highly recommended, where necessary).

In my experience, Aspergers is the neurological equivalent of being left-handed. It is a feature, not a disorder.*

Being human, we are vulnerable to demonization just like NTs are, but not especially so. We just wear it differently. Many of the conditions (like depression) that are said to be co-morbid will probably prove to be demonic at their root.

Restated, Aspies can get demons just like anyone else, but Aspergers isn't caused by demons.

*If you look at the prophets, both Biblical and contemporary, they could easily be mistaken for Aspies.

• Friendly
Reactions: Clintos
Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Being human, we are vulnerable to demonization just like NTs are, but not especially so. We just wear it differently. Many of the conditions (like depression) that are said to be co-morbid will probably prove to be demonic at their root.

Restated, Aspies can get demons just like anyone else, but Aspergers isn't caused by demons.

*If you look at the prophets, both Biblical and contemporary, they could easily be mistaken for Aspies.

This is what I am slowly understanding that autism was around since time began. And that it is who I am = not a illness. My time would be better spent working on my co-morbid conditions such as adhd,schizoaffective disorder,depression,anxieties etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

*LILAC

Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟451,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have an autistic son and there's nothing I haven't heard that causes autism. Anywhere from living, breathing, parents being too young or too old, too fat or too thin... the list is endless. In our case, it does come from the vaccinations he had but also from being a premature baby. Christians should accept the autism community and try to at least be compassionate towards them. No, they do not need to be exorcised (I know a couple who thought they should do the same to their son! Not good!) I think having this mindset of exorcism is extremely unhealthy and even unGodly.

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have to agree Autism is not from the Devil and I am learning to accept myself and to educate others on my type of autism which is aspergers. it's a high functioning type of autism. I just need to find away around it and use it's benefits to my advantage

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Currently I am using one of it's gifts of the ability to focus for long periods of time and intensely, with my small business of selling salt water marine organisms.

Here is one of my favorites I grow out and made over 1 thousand from him alone:

Upvote 0

lben

Dec 27, 2010
Ashtabula, OH
✟14,231.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
There is no evidence linking autism to vaccinations.
Sure there is. The increase in autism is directly correlated to the increase in vaccinations. My own grandson lost the ability to speak and chew food within 24 hours of his first MMR. He's 6 now and still doesn't speak or eat solid food.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.