• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Does Autism come from the devil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Lately I seen a lot of vids on youtube mentioning that people with autism should have a exorcsim. Is this what all Christians perspective is, or can one live with autism and serve God?

Should autism be fought or accepted in the Christian community?

• Prayers
Reactions: Saint Beloved

2PhiloVoid

Downhill Prevention!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lately I seen a lot of vids on youtube mentioning that people with autism should have a exorcsim. Is this what all Christians perspective is, or can one live with autism and serve God?

Hi Clintos,

I for one think autism is simply a biological challenge of the mind that some people are born with. It isn't a demonically influenced condition. It's just something that some people wake up each day and have to deal with, brother.

If I were you, I'd try to lean away from vids on youtube that assert that autism is a 'work of the devil.' Sure, the devil can cause some disorders here and there, but even the language in the Bible makes a distinction between sickness and disorders on the one hand, and demonic possession, on the other hand. They are two separate things.

So, again, if a person has autism, I'm going to say that he or she is simply a person with a biological condition that is present because our human bodies and brains are very finely tuned, and we live in a world where keeping our bodies and minds finely tuned is difficult...for all of us. And some of us are simply born with a situation (such as having autism) that is a bit more challenging in some ways than for others. But, in one way or another, we all have challenges.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lben

Dec 27, 2010
Ashtabula, OH
✟21,731.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Seriously? Autism is a brain disorder often times caused by outside forces like vaccinations or a birth defect. It has nothing to do with demon possession and anyone who thinks you can exorcise away a birth defect or medical condition needs their own heads checked for defects.

Upvote 0

Muslim-UK

Oct 11, 2015
✟14,751.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Autism is down to either; chemicals in the food chain, possible side effects from immunisations given to children, or hereditary.

Being autistic needn't be a problem, it just requires careful management of food and environmental conditions. One can still grow to lead a healthy productive life.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
such thinking is extremely harmful and dangerous and should be shunned by the believing community.

those with mental conditions should be understood and supported by the believing community while being directed to resources that would help them to deal with and combat their disorder.

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Autism is down to either; chemicals in the food chain, possible side effects from immunisations given to children, or hereditary.

Being autistic needn't be a problem, it just requires careful management of food and environmental conditions. One can still grow to lead a healthy productive life.

What about war past down through generations, can making war with one another cause peoples dna to alter? and maybe cause birth defects.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,875.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Seriously? Autism is a brain disorder often times caused by outside forces like vaccinations or a birth defect.
There is no evidence linking autism to vaccinations.

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Thanks, I am hoping to lead a healthy productive life. And I wanted to know that there are people out there that look at it as something to be accepted.

But at the same time I want to fight it like it is a disease. I am conflicted on whether I should pray about it and ask for deliverance, or to embrace it?

Should I be proud and tell my church about it? or should I keep a tight lip? it's something that control my life along with schizo-affective disorder, agoraphobia, ADHD should I just be honest with everyone?

I already told the pastor and he was nice about it. it's something that I can not hide and pretend to be neurotypical.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

People saying that those illnessss are caused by the devil is backwards thinking from the days where people thought illnesses were all caused by demons. It's just biology.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about war past down through generations, can making war with one another cause peoples dna to alter? and maybe cause birth defects.

No, the human body doesn't work that way. Birth defects are most times caused by deficiencies in crucial nutrients during the development of the baby. In order for chromosomes to properly form and intertwine you need nutrients and any break in the long chain can cause issues in the developing baby.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, I am hoping to lead a healthy productive life. And I wanted to know that there are people out there that look at it as something to be accepted.

But at the same time I want to fight it like it is a disease. I am conflicted on whether I should pray about it and ask for deliverance, or to embrace it?

Should I be proud and tell my church about it? or should I keep a tight lip? it's something that control my life along with schizo-affective disorder, agoraphobia, ADHD should I just be honest with everyone?

I already told the pastor and he was nice about it. it's something that I can not hide and pretend to be neurotypical.

Everybody in your church does not need to know. Even in church, there will be people you are closer to and interact more with. I think those people should know. If others find out then it is okay but you don't have a responsibility to tell everybody. I believe also that no kind of illness should be embraced because it causes you to lose the drive to find solutions.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've seen to many Christians who blame most any illness/disability on the devil. They seem to forget that these things exist because sin is in the world. Our bodies are now flawed and messed up. Nothing to do with the devil.

Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You will of course lead a happy productive life with Christ as your brother and leader as He said "With God ALL things are possible!" It won't be happy and productive all the time, none of our lives are, but the end result will be GREAT! As far as autism or any other brain disorder, yes they are from Satan and his demons just like every other disease, illness and anguish that humans suffer. Even the sins we commit are ultimately placed back on the head of Satan as the author. After all he is the original cause of man's sin. Always pray for deliverance from the bondage or results of sin don't embrace or be proud just understand where these ailments come from...Satan. Pray for healing and try to get the help you need from modern medicine in the meantime. Your healing has already happened, even if you don't "feel" it and you may not until Christ returns but it's on the way!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's what I do and just not mention it to anyone but a few people on a need to know basis.

I'm on disabilty and when I read the bible it mentions that I should not be slothful.

This means I should do everything I can to get off of disability and be a productive member of society right?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I understand the feeling of others' blaming neurological problems on the devil. I've been accused of being afflicted with epilepsy for similar reasons (they said I was possessed!). Any accusations like that are not of God. The Fall brought sickness, disabilities, medical conditions and death into the world. It is by no means brought about by our personal sin.

Remember the blind man, when the Pharisees asked if he was stricken blind due to the sins of his parents? Jesus told the man that it was not because of the sins of the parents - that it no longer is due to that. (John 9).

In all things, God can work in us. Pray to God that through this and all trials, you may grow closer to Him and trust in Him over yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am trying to find the right church and I just do not know of what church to go to and which ones to avoid. I ask this because I went to a church last year and they said to me that not all churches are the same and that it is like trying on the shirt one must find the one that fits the best.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

I have a degree of Aspergers, which is supposedly on the autism scale. Quite honestly, I consider it a blessing and an advantage and have thanked God many times for it. Of course, I have the two most common attributes that people think of when considering Aspergers, lack of empathy and the inability to socialize in a manner consistent with the expectations of others.

A lack of empathy doesn't mean a lack of compassion. It's been 3 or 4 months now, but one day a friend of my daughters, her mother, and baby brother suddenly came running into my house scared and crying. It seems the mom's boyfriend had been drinking and was smacking them around a bit. For the next couple of hours, my home was filled with paramedics and police officers talking to this crying and upset woman. My wife was crying and visibly upset, and I was just standing there as a spectator as I didn't have an emotional attachment to the situation. However, I did know that this family needed things, including a place to stay, food, and the necessities for taking care of the baby, which I started to track down, borrow, and pick up for them. As a Christian, I was able to show them love by providing for their needs the best I could.

As for other things, I have an IQ around 160, and the ability to approach problems from directions which most people don't think of, which has really helped me in my line of work. And to my knowledge, I've never felt loneliness, which is good for me but I have to constantly be mindful that others do get that way at times and it seems to be particularly stressful for some. Socialization norms can be learned. For example, did you know some people expect you to acknowledge them and say 'good morning' to them every day? Something I learned along the way. Seems to me the first 'good morning' I told them should suffice, and if that wish ever changes, I'll tell them something different.

I've had no issues with this 'condition' and being a Christian. In fact, I consider it a plus. I don't get caught up emotionally with particular teachers, pastors (one in the past is still a good friend), or ministries and I can look at the actual words they say with scrutiny and attempt to validate what they are saying with the scriptures. I know so many hear someone and like them personally, and just accept whatever they are told as a result. That's not a problem I've ever had to contend with, which I consider a great plus for me.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's what I do and just not mention it to anyone but a few people on a need to know basis.

I'm on disabilty and when I read the bible it mentions that I should not be slothful.

This means I should do everything I can to get off of disability and be a productive member of society right?

Yes. At the same time, you should remember that even in your current state you are special and God loves you no less. So do not undervalue yourself regardless of whatever health challenge you currently have.

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
lack of empathy and the inability to socialize in a manner consistent with the expectations of others.

I am against what my church advocates in terms that I am not social and lack empathy. This I think is what I need to learn and so far they have been accommodating and very nice I like it there. But we have a lot of different beliefs right off the bat and I need to just go with their flow and try not to open my mouth too much or I feel they may ask me to leave.

Not sure if that is a sign that it's the right church because they have what I am missing, or if I should go with my heart of heart and that is to love the neighbour but still lock the door at night to keep evil people out.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,959.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Good grief, man. What kind of a question is that?

Is this what Christians in the 21st century really believe?

This is a VERY poor advert for Christianity.

If it was not so sadly shocking it would hilarious.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.