Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Yes.

See 1 Peter 3:15.
Problem is your reason is not necessarily reasonable, simply saying you have some basis that is compelling to you does not mean it is compelling to others or should be regarded as such.

What is your reason for your hope and faith? Please, see if you can convince me

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
For some Christians, this is really viewing their theory through a false dichotomy. Many Christian ethicists are not so shallow as to reduce morality to simple a matter of obedience to an omnipotent authority figure, there needs to be theological reflection on what the image of God means, and so on.
Except divine command theory is still well and above probably one of the more popular meta ethical structures used in Christian thought, even if it's obviously tweaked to avoid the Euthyphro dilemma through dishonest tactics to avoid ethical subjectivism, yet still advocate it in principle through a perfect judge like God.

And assuming God's existence doesn't lend credence to a moral theory that requires a presupposing of God to give it basis in the first place, it's circular reasoning

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Except divine command theory is still well and above probably one of the more popular meta ethical structures used in Christian thought, even if it's obviously tweaked to avoid the Euthyphro dilemma through dishonest tactics to avoid ethical subjectivism, yet still advocate it in principle through a perfect judge like God.

And assuming God's existence doesn't lend credence to a moral theory that requires a presupposing of God to give it basis in the first place, it's circular reasoning

It depends... in mainline Protestant or Catholic theological discourse, divine command theory is not prominent.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The problem remains that someone being good and consistent with their worldview doesn't make the worldview true in the claims it makes, only that it can be internally consistent and help someone be a better person.

It's the inverse of a similar problem in saying something is wrong merely because there are hypocrites within a worldview in the first place, neither of these extremes undermines or adds credibility to a position if we're talking about its truth rather than practical pragmatic benefits that can be found outside of it.

Some philosophers, especially in the American tradition, consider pragmatism the only realistic way we can deal with truth claims.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It depends... in mainline Protestant or Catholic theological discourse, divine command theory is not prominent.
Not sure what's really counted as mainline, given how fragmented Protestant denominations are in the first place. Even just in my neck of the woods in the South, you could go a couple of miles and probably find several Protestant denominations around.

Also, like I said, divine command theory in the simplistic sense may not be advocated, it doesn't mean there isn't still that advocacy that God is good and thus any proclamations God makes are good by association, even though that's equivocation

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Some philosophers, especially in the American tradition, consider pragmatism the only realistic way we can deal with truth claims.
Truth claims and moral claims are not the same thing, not to mention the distinction of truth as something objective in itself versus being objective in our pursuit is important, because truth is not arguably a substance, but an assessment we make of things in terms of accuracy.

Someone having the sentiment that something is true because it helps them is instrumentalist and oversimplifies the idea of something being true when it is making claims that either are unevidenced or unfalsifiable (the afterlife, for instance)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,914,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is your reason for your hope ...
A strengthened heart.

Psalm 31:24 Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Truth claims and moral claims are not the same thing, not to mention the distinction of truth as something objective in itself versus being objective in our pursuit is important, because truth is not arguably a substance, but an assessment we make of things in terms of accuracy.

Someone having the sentiment that something is true because it helps them is instrumentalist and oversimplifies the idea of something being true when it is making claims that either are unevidenced or unfalsifiable (the afterlife, for instance)

Your extreme skepticism doesn't seem compatible with human flourishing. It's one thing to debate this in the asbtract, and uphold an attitude of absolute skepticism, but real people in actual societies do need to be able to live with both facts and values they believe are true.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Not sure what's really counted as mainline, given how fragmented Protestant denominations are in the first place. Even just in my neck of the woods in the South, you could go a couple of miles and probably find several Protestant denominations around.

The historic mainline churches are the so-called "Seven Sisters", such as the United Church of Christ, Episcopal Church, Evangelical Lutheran Church, United Methodist Church, American Baptist Church, etc. They are all united in more or less accepting higher critical methods for understanding the Bible.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Your extreme skepticism doesn't seem compatible with human flourishing. It's one thing to debate this in the asbtract, and uphold an attitude of absolute skepticism, but real people in actual societies do need to be able to live with both facts and values they believe are true.

I don't just believe something is true, I make an argument for why it is, I'm not making absolute claims, they're provisional in nature because I'm fallible and can change my position with new argumentation or evidence.

And I never advocated absolute skepticism, methodological at best, the strawman doesn't help the discussion

I regard the idea that religion is better for society with skepticism, I don't regard the idea of virtues and applying them to society with skepticism except insofar as they lean towards potential authoritarianism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The historic mainline churches are the so-called "Seven Sisters", such as the United Church of Christ, Episcopal Church, Evangelical Lutheran Church, United Methodist Church, American Baptist Church, etc. They are all united in more or less accepting higher critical methods for understanding the Bible.
That seems purely based on a tradition that not everyone is going to acknowledge, so it's little different than any idea of orthodoxy rooted in the same notions of a common memetic propagation rather than actually being able to demonstrate the veracity of the claims apart from tradition and supposed revelations, which is more presuppositions I don't take at face value because that's a con job

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
A strengthened heart.

Psalm 31:24 Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.
Yet people can have hope of a comparable nature to yours and not gain it from your belief, why is your faith any better or more justified merely because you have a sentimental response to the stimuli you claim is God? This isn't as simple as you'd like to make it: your feelings are not the sole foundation for truth and quote mining your book that's essentially an idol by any stretch of the word, even the esoteric use in Christian circles, is circular reasoning with confirmation bias instead of honestly considering that you might be wrong and indoctrinated no less

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I regard the idea that religion is better for society with skepticism, I don't regard the idea of virtues and applying them to society with skepticism except insofar as they lean towards potential authoritarianism.

You identify as a Buddhist so you need to consider just how skeptical you are, and quite possible explain that, because honestly I am baffled by this sort of default rejection of religion as a method of approaching truth. Because while Buddhism may not be exactly like Abrahamic religions in its epistemology (an understatement), it is widely considered to be a religion, since it is concerned with questions of ultimate meaning or significance.

• Winner
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
That seems purely based on a tradition that not everyone is going to acknowledge,

You are the one speaking in broad, sweeping generalizations about an entire religion that is highly variegated. I am merely pointing that out. There is no one Christian approach to ethics, there are several, with divine command theory only being one.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You identify as a Buddhist so you need to consider just how skeptical you are, and quite possible explain that, because honestly I am baffled by this sort of default rejection of religion as a method of approaching truth. Because while Buddhism may not be exactly like Abrahamic religions in its epistemology (an understatement), it is widely considered to be a religion, since it is concerned with questions of ultimate meaning or significance.
Because Buddhism can also be strongly argued as more philosophy when you strip away the needless supernatural aspects that color later developments versus the more practical and introspective Theravada aspects. And honestly, I'm only Buddhist in the description because it can at least give some answers that a label like atheism doesn't really lend itself to (because it's only a question in response to whether God exists or not, rather than the afterlife, morality, metaphysics, etc)

Ultimacy in the sense of an ideal is distinct from ultimacy as something to be realized and that's a major difference in Buddhism and Hinduism to an extent from Christianity, Islam and Judaism (in its own way), where the Dharmic "faiths" are more a path of liberation, Abrahamic faiths are about seeking salvation externally

Rejecting aspects of Buddhism I don't find reasonable is certainly something that leads to misconceptions, but I find the alternate labels in the "non religious" categories lacking, so I stick with this, in spite of many misunderstandings that have spread about Buddhism that I try on occasion to correct.

But more importantly, there appears to be an underlying Western exoticizing of the East in particular understandings that exist about Buddhism (and Hinduism, among other Dharmic religions) and I've seen it even recently with people insinuating that Buddhists worship Buddha or other nonsense

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You are the one speaking in broad, sweeping generalizations about an entire religion that is highly variegated. I am merely pointing that out. There is no one Christian approach to ethics, there are several, with divine command theory only being one.
By your own admission it's diverse and I never said it was applicable to all Christians, of course there are other positions, but divine command ethics in some form or fashion appears to be very common in Christian thought, even if that very likely is applied more in the laity than scholarship, in which case I'd rephrase my statement with that in mind.

Situational ethics is one as well, a view I'd find much more reasonable by contrast, probably one you wouldn't be opposed to and may even agree with a great deal in the Christian manifestation, which seems to be one of the early forms by Joseph Fletcher

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Because Buddhism can also be strongly argued as more philosophy when you strip away the needless supernatural aspects that color later developments versus the more practical and introspective Theravada aspects.

Only some Buddhists consider them needless. A very tiny minority who identify as "Buddhist" that are mostly confined to western countries and do not speak for the Sangha as a whole. Even those who may not understand the concepts literally, influenced by Buddhist Modernism, do not dismiss their spiritual utility altogether.

Secondly, the concept of the "supernatural" is a Christian category that doesn't apply to Buddhist cosmology.

Ultimacy in the sense of an ideal is distinct from ultimacy as something to be realized and that's a major difference in Buddhism and Hinduism to an extent from Christianity, Islam and Judaism (in its own way), where the Dharmic "faiths" are more a path of liberation, Abrahamic faiths are about seeking salvation externally

That's a gross oversimplification and misunderstanding, but one that is frequently spread a meme among those who are ignorant of the subject. Quakers (who generally consider themselves to be Christians, at least in the US) do not believe in seeking salvation externally, because the Inner Light is, well... inner. Likewise, there are forms of Buddhism that believe in tariki or "Other Power" as the primary praxis of their sect or school, even though their metaphysical and epistemological commitments are Buddhist.

rejecting aspects of Buddhism I don't find reasonable is certainly something that leads to misconceptions, but I find the alternate labels in the "non religious" categories lacking, so I stick with this, in spite of many misunderstandings that have spread about Buddhism that I try on occasion to correct.

It's not your place to define a religion that is practiced by hundreds of millions of people, many of whom may not agree with your narrow definition of what is, and is not, proper Buddhism.

But more importantly, there appears to be an underlying Western exoticizing of the East in particular understandings that exist about Buddhism (and Hinduism, among other Dharmic religions) and I've seen it even recently with people insinuating that Buddhists worship Buddha or other nonsense

Many Buddhists actually do, contrary to your insinuations. It's not nonsense. Buddhists take refuge in the Buddha and they pay their respects to him as a teacher, and in most contexts that involves veneration, both of his manifestation on earth in the form of Shakyamuni, and also in the form of the Buddha that transcends his earthly appearance (the Nirmanakaya and Dharmakaya).

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,266,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
By your own admission it's diverse and I never said it was applicable to all Christians, of course there are other positions, but divine command ethics in some form or fashion appears to be very common in Christian thought, even if that very likely is applied more in the laity than scholarship, in which case I'd rephrase my statement with that in mind.

Situational ethics is one as well, a view I'd find much more reasonable by contrast, probably one you wouldn't be opposed to and may even agree with a great deal in the Christian manifestation, which seems to be one of the early forms by Joseph Fletcher

That's not as rare as you think, nor is personalist ethics in the Christian tradition merely confined to Joseph Fletcher's articulation of "situation ethics". That was what Bonhoeffer was driving at in his ethics, after all, with his critique of a strict Kantian account of ethics. Personalist ethics, influenced by phenomenology and existentialism, have been influential among most mainline Protestants, and also many Catholics.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Only some Buddhists consider them needless. A very tiny minority who identify as "Buddhist" that are mostly confined to western countries and do not speak for the Sangha as a whole. Even those who may not understand the concepts literally, influenced by Buddhist Modernism, do not dismiss their spiritual utility altogether.

Secondly, the concept of the "supernatural" is a Christian category that doesn't apply to Buddhist cosmology.
I never said I spoke for all Buddhists, pretty sure I insinuated the opposite

And I'm also pretty sure the idea of supernatural applies to some Buddhist ideas, even if the idea is that they're immanent rather than transcendent, seeing as Buddhism is nondualistic, while Christianity would tend to be dualistic. Supernatural as a term might be slightly inaccurate, but the general idea conveyed would still be there, that it's not only unscientific, but magical thinking.

That's a gross oversimplification and misunderstanding, but one that is frequently spread a meme among those who are ignorant of the subject. Quakers (who generally consider themselves to be Christians, at least in the US) do not believe in seeking salvation externally, because the Inner Light is, well... inner. Likewise, there are forms of Buddhism that believe in tariki or "Other Power" as the primary praxis of their sect or school, even though their metaphysical and epistemological commitments are Buddhist.

Yes, I'm aware of Pure Land Buddhism and there are likely some others, but I'm speaking in generalities as a rough distinction in the first place, not necessarily applying to all. The fact that I didn't use a qualifier doesn't mean I'm speaking absolutely.

And even Quakers are arguably seeking salvation from something instead of liberation from wrong thinking, though certainly there can be overlap, much like common parallels of thought in Buddhism and Christianity in general.

It's not your place to define a religion that is practiced by hundreds of millions of people, many of whom may not agree with your narrow definition of what is, and is not, proper Buddhism.
Not sure I remotely was doing that or where you got the idea I was, because I was correcting ideas that are not even applicable to most Buddhists and thus are engaging in that problematic generalization I never argued was a good thing

Many Buddhists actually do, contrary to your insinuations. It's not nonsense. Buddhists take refuge in the Buddha and they pay their respects to him as a teacher, and in most contexts that involves veneration, both of his manifestation on earth in the form of Shakyamuni, and also in the form of the Buddha that transcends his earthly appearance (the Nirmanakaya and Dharmakaya).

Veneration is not worship, this is practically common sense, seeing as you have that distinction made by Catholics: they don't worship Mary or Peter or such, they venerate them as examples to follow. But the idea of taking refuge in the Buddha is not comparable to any notions of adoration or worship directed at Jesus and God. And that's primarily because Buddha is not saving you from anything, that's your responsibility first and foremost, Buddha Gautama offered advice at most.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,914,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wonder sometimes if Gautama would be proud of them.

I don't normally say anything good about Buddhism, but if he's representing the Eightfold Path, I'm Genghis Khan.

Upvote 0