Does anyone know what Greek and Russian Orthodox believe?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@HTacianas

That's false. This might be helpful to you:
Luther and the canon 3
How about reading what Luther himself says about the Epistle of James in his commentary of it rather then reading how Protestants attempt to explain away his rejection of it:

Though this epistle of St. James was rejected by the ancients, I praise it and consider it a good book, because it sets up no doctrines of men but vigorously promulgates the law of God. However, to state my own opinion about it, though without prejudice to anyone, I do not regard it as the writing of an apostle, and my reasons follow.

In the first place it is flatly against St. Paul and all the rest of Scripture in ascribing justification to works 2:24). It says that Abraham was justified by his works when he offered his son Isaac (2:20); Though in Romans 4:22-22 St. Paul teaches to the contrary that Abraham was justified apart from works, by his faith alone, before he had offered his son, and proves it by Moses in Genesis 15:6. Although it would be possible to "save" the epistle by a gloss giving a correct explanation of justification here ascribed to works, it is impossible to deny that it does refer to Moses' words in Genesis 15 (which speaks not of Abraham's works but of his faith, just as Paul makes plain in Romans 4) to Abraham's works. This fault proves that this epistle is not the work of any apostle.

In the second place its purpose is to teach Christians, but in all this long teaching it does not once mention the Passion, the resurrection, or the Spirit of Christ. He names Christ several times; however he teaches nothing about him, but only speaks of general faith in God. Now it is the office of a true apostle to preach of the Passion and resurrection and office of Christ, and to lay the foundation for faith in him, as Christ himself says in John 15[:27], "You shall bear witness to me.? All the genuine sacred books agree in this, that all of them preach and inculcate [_treiben_] Christ. And that is the true test by which to judge all books, when we see whether or not they inculcate Christ. For all the Scriptures show us Christ, Romans 3[:21]; and St. Paul will know nothing but Christ, I Corinthians 2[:2]. Whatever does not teach Christ is not yet apostolic, even though St. Peter or St. Paul does the teaching. Again, whatever preaches Christ would be apostolic, even if Judas, Annas, Pilate, and Herod were doing it." (__ibid__).

But this James does nothing more than drive to the law and its works. Besides, he throws things together so chaotically that it seems to me he must have been some good, pious man, who took a few sayings from the disciples of the apostles and thus tossed them off on paper. Or it may perhaps have been written by someone on the basis of his preaching. He calls the law a "law of liberty" [1:25], though Paul calls it a law of slavery, of wrath, of death, and of sin.

Moreover he cites the sayings of St. Peter [in 5:20]; Love covers a multitude of sins" [1 Pet. 4:8], and again [in 4:10], "Humble yourselves under he had of God" [1 Pet. 5:6] also the saying of St. Paul in Galatians 5[:17], "The Spirit lusteth against envy." And yet, in point of time, St. James was put to death by Herod [Acts 12:2] in Jerusalem, before St. Peter. So it seems that [this author] came long after St. Peter and St. Paul.

In a word, he wanted to guard against those who relied on faith without works, but was unequal to the task in spirit, thought, and words. He mangles the Scriptures and thereby opposes Paul and all Scripture. He tries to accomplish by harping on the law what the apostles accomplish by stimulating people to love. Therefore I cannot include him among the chief books, though I would not thereby prevent anyone from including or extolling him as he pleases, for there are otherwise many good sayings in him. Therefore I will not have him in my Bible to be numbered among the true chief books, though I would not thereby prevent anyone from including or extolling him as he pleases, for there are otherwise many good sayings in him. One man is no man in worldly things; how then, should this single man alone avail against Paul and all Scripture.

Concerning the epistle of St. Jude, no one can deny that it is an extract or copy of St. Peter's second epistle, so very like it are all the words. He also speaks of the apostles like a disciple who comes long after them [Jude 17] and cites sayings and incidents that are found nowhere else in the Scriptures [Jude 9, 14]. This moved the ancient Fathers to exclude this epistle from the main body of the Scriptures. Moreover the Apostle Jude did not go to Greek-speaking lands, but to Persia, as it is said, so that he did not write Greek. Therefore, although I value this book, it is an epistle that need not be counted among the chief books which are supposed to lay the foundations of faith.

I think highly of the epistle of James, and regard it as valuable although it was rejected in early days. It does not expound human doctrines, but lays much emphasis on God's law. Yet to give my own opinion without prejudice to that of anyone else, I do not hold it to be of apostolic authorship, for the following reasons:
Firstly, because, in direct opposition to St. Paul and all the rest of the Bible, it ascribes justification to works, and declares that Abraham was justified by his works when he offered up his son. St. Paul, on the contrary, in Romans 4[:3], teaches that Abraham was justified without works, by his faith alone, the proof being in Genesis 15 [:6], which was before he sacrificed his son. Although it would be possible to 'save' the epistle by a gloss giving a correct explanation of justification here ascribed to works, it is impossible to deny that it does refer to Moses's word in Genesis 15 (which speaks not of Abraham's works but of his faith, just as Paul makes plain in Romans 4) to Abraham's works. This defect proves that the epistle is not of apostolic provenance.

Secondly, because, in the whole length of its teaching, not once does it give Christians any instruction or reminder of the passion, resurrection, or spirit of Christ. It mentions Christ once and again, but teaches nothing about Him; it speaks only of a commonplace faith in God. It is the office of a true apostle to preach the passion and resurrection and work of Christ, and to lay down the true ground for this faith, as Christ himself says in John 15 [:27], You shall be my witnesses. All genuinely sacred books are unanimous here, and all preach Christ emphatically. The true touchstone for testing every book is to discover whether it emphasizes the prominence of Christ or not. All Scripture sets forth Christ, Romans 3::24 f.] and Paul will know nothing but Christ, 1 Corinthians 2 [:2]. What does not teach Christ is not apostolic, not even if taught by Peter or Paul. On the other hand, what does preach Christ is apostolic, even if Judas, Annas, Pilate or Herod does it.

The epistle of James, however, only drives you to the law, and its works. He mixes one thing with another to such an extent that I suspect some good and pious man assembled a few things said by disciples of the apostles, and then put them down in black and white; or perhaps the epistle was written by someone else who made notes of a sermon of his. He calls the law a law of freedom, although St. Paul calls it a law of slavery, wrath, death, and sin.

Yet he quotes St. Peter's saying that "Love covers a multitude of sins", and again "Humble yourselves under the hand of God"; further, St. Paul's word in Galatians 5, The spirit lusteth against hate. But St. James was killed by Herod in Jerusalem before St. Peter's death, which shows the writer to have been far later than St. Peter or St. Paul.

In sum: he wished to guard against those who depended on faith without going on to works, but he had neither the spirit nor the thought nor the eloquence equal to the task. He does violence to Scripture, and so contradicts Paul and all Scripture. He tries to accomplish by emphasizing law what the apostles bring about by attracting men to love. I therefore refuse him a place among the writers of the true canon of my bible; but I would not prevent anyone placing him or raising him where he likes, for the epistle contains many excellent passages. One man does not count as a man even in the eyes of the world; how then shall this single and isolated writer count against Paul and all the rest of the Bible

Luther’s Preface to James and Jude

It’s rather painful to read how Protestants try to get around this. You either follow traditions of the Church of Christ or of heretical men like Luther, to be a Protestant is to choose the latter and reject the former.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I guess there's no short concise answer to this..
But, would it be wrong to say they're almost identical to Roman Catholics but with no Pope?
No, but very similar except that the Orthodox ceremonies are more ornate or elaborate while the doctrines are less detailed and mechanical.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, but very similar except that the Orthodox ceremonies are more ornate or elaborate while the doctrines are less detailed and mechanical.
I’m not sure what you mean by very similar, having a liturgy and hymns doesn’t make them similar, pretty much all branches of Christianity have those “ceremonies” except fundamentalist Protestants or sects related to them. Roman Catholics usually make doctrines so legalistic that they don’t make much sense anymore, Orthodoxy has its own explanations for its dogmas and doctrines from the Church Fathers who uses the simple rhetoric of the Hellenistic world of their time, it’s the one thing I love about Orthodoxy even the hardest, most complex doctrines of Christendom can bind themselves to the human intellect without crushing it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I’m not sure what you mean by very similar, having a liturgy and hymns doesn’t make them similar, pretty much all branches of Christianity have those “ceremonies” except fundamentalist Protestants or sects related to them.
As the questioner stated, Orthodoxy does not accept any Pope figure, which is an important difference. Otherwise, Orthodox theology is similar but the rituals are more ornate (meaning the liturgy, the administration of the sacraments, and other ceremonies). The two churches are both liturgical, of course.

Roman Catholics usually make doctrines so legalistic that they don’t make much sense anymore, Orthodoxy has its own explanations for its dogmas and doctrines from the Church Fathers who uses the simple rhetoric of the Hellenistic world of their time, it’s the one thing I love about Orthodoxy even the hardest, most complex doctrines of Christendom can bind themselves to the human intellect without crushing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tania11
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It has to with the sufficiency of Grace and what one must do to be saved.

If one believes in the sufficiency of grace, then again, why would one need to "witness" to fellow Christians?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Tania11

Jan 30, 2020
la jolla
✟27,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
How about reading what Luther himself says about the Epistle of James in his commentary of it rather then reading how Protestants attempt to explain away his rejection of it:

Though this epistle of St. James was rejected by the ancients, I praise it and consider it a good book, because it sets up no doctrines of men but vigorously promulgates the law of God. However, to state my own opinion about it, though without prejudice to anyone, I do not regard it as the writing of an apostle, and my reasons follow.

In the first place it is flatly against St. Paul and all the rest of Scripture in ascribing justification to works 2:24). It says that Abraham was justified by his works when he offered his son Isaac (2:20); Though in Romans 4:22-22 St. Paul teaches to the contrary that Abraham was justified apart from works, by his faith alone, before he had offered his son, and proves it by Moses in Genesis 15:6. Although it would be possible to "save" the epistle by a gloss giving a correct explanation of justification here ascribed to works, it is impossible to deny that it does refer to Moses' words in Genesis 15 (which speaks not of Abraham's works but of his faith, just as Paul makes plain in Romans 4) to Abraham's works. This fault proves that this epistle is not the work of any apostle.

In the second place its purpose is to teach Christians, but in all this long teaching it does not once mention the Passion, the resurrection, or the Spirit of Christ. He names Christ several times; however he teaches nothing about him, but only speaks of general faith in God. Now it is the office of a true apostle to preach of the Passion and resurrection and office of Christ, and to lay the foundation for faith in him, as Christ himself says in John 15[:27], "You shall bear witness to me.? All the genuine sacred books agree in this, that all of them preach and inculcate [_treiben_] Christ. And that is the true test by which to judge all books, when we see whether or not they inculcate Christ. For all the Scriptures show us Christ, Romans 3[:21]; and St. Paul will know nothing but Christ, I Corinthians 2[:2]. Whatever does not teach Christ is not yet apostolic, even though St. Peter or St. Paul does the teaching. Again, whatever preaches Christ would be apostolic, even if Judas, Annas, Pilate, and Herod were doing it." (__ibid__).

But this James does nothing more than drive to the law and its works. Besides, he throws things together so chaotically that it seems to me he must have been some good, pious man, who took a few sayings from the disciples of the apostles and thus tossed them off on paper. Or it may perhaps have been written by someone on the basis of his preaching. He calls the law a "law of liberty" [1:25], though Paul calls it a law of slavery, of wrath, of death, and of sin.

Moreover he cites the sayings of St. Peter [in 5:20]; Love covers a multitude of sins" [1 Pet. 4:8], and again [in 4:10], "Humble yourselves under he had of God" [1 Pet. 5:6] also the saying of St. Paul in Galatians 5[:17], "The Spirit lusteth against envy." And yet, in point of time, St. James was put to death by Herod [Acts 12:2] in Jerusalem, before St. Peter. So it seems that [this author] came long after St. Peter and St. Paul.

In a word, he wanted to guard against those who relied on faith without works, but was unequal to the task in spirit, thought, and words. He mangles the Scriptures and thereby opposes Paul and all Scripture. He tries to accomplish by harping on the law what the apostles accomplish by stimulating people to love. Therefore I cannot include him among the chief books, though I would not thereby prevent anyone from including or extolling him as he pleases, for there are otherwise many good sayings in him. Therefore I will not have him in my Bible to be numbered among the true chief books, though I would not thereby prevent anyone from including or extolling him as he pleases, for there are otherwise many good sayings in him. One man is no man in worldly things; how then, should this single man alone avail against Paul and all Scripture.

Concerning the epistle of St. Jude, no one can deny that it is an extract or copy of St. Peter's second epistle, so very like it are all the words. He also speaks of the apostles like a disciple who comes long after them [Jude 17] and cites sayings and incidents that are found nowhere else in the Scriptures [Jude 9, 14]. This moved the ancient Fathers to exclude this epistle from the main body of the Scriptures. Moreover the Apostle Jude did not go to Greek-speaking lands, but to Persia, as it is said, so that he did not write Greek. Therefore, although I value this book, it is an epistle that need not be counted among the chief books which are supposed to lay the foundations of faith.

I think highly of the epistle of James, and regard it as valuable although it was rejected in early days. It does not expound human doctrines, but lays much emphasis on God's law. Yet to give my own opinion without prejudice to that of anyone else, I do not hold it to be of apostolic authorship, for the following reasons:
Firstly, because, in direct opposition to St. Paul and all the rest of the Bible, it ascribes justification to works, and declares that Abraham was justified by his works when he offered up his son. St. Paul, on the contrary, in Romans 4[:3], teaches that Abraham was justified without works, by his faith alone, the proof being in Genesis 15 [:6], which was before he sacrificed his son. Although it would be possible to 'save' the epistle by a gloss giving a correct explanation of justification here ascribed to works, it is impossible to deny that it does refer to Moses's word in Genesis 15 (which speaks not of Abraham's works but of his faith, just as Paul makes plain in Romans 4) to Abraham's works. This defect proves that the epistle is not of apostolic provenance.

Secondly, because, in the whole length of its teaching, not once does it give Christians any instruction or reminder of the passion, resurrection, or spirit of Christ. It mentions Christ once and again, but teaches nothing about Him; it speaks only of a commonplace faith in God. It is the office of a true apostle to preach the passion and resurrection and work of Christ, and to lay down the true ground for this faith, as Christ himself says in John 15 [:27], You shall be my witnesses. All genuinely sacred books are unanimous here, and all preach Christ emphatically. The true touchstone for testing every book is to discover whether it emphasizes the prominence of Christ or not. All Scripture sets forth Christ, Romans 3::24 f.] and Paul will know nothing but Christ, 1 Corinthians 2 [:2]. What does not teach Christ is not apostolic, not even if taught by Peter or Paul. On the other hand, what does preach Christ is apostolic, even if Judas, Annas, Pilate or Herod does it.

The epistle of James, however, only drives you to the law, and its works. He mixes one thing with another to such an extent that I suspect some good and pious man assembled a few things said by disciples of the apostles, and then put them down in black and white; or perhaps the epistle was written by someone else who made notes of a sermon of his. He calls the law a law of freedom, although St. Paul calls it a law of slavery, wrath, death, and sin.

Yet he quotes St. Peter's saying that "Love covers a multitude of sins", and again "Humble yourselves under the hand of God"; further, St. Paul's word in Galatians 5, The spirit lusteth against hate. But St. James was killed by Herod in Jerusalem before St. Peter's death, which shows the writer to have been far later than St. Peter or St. Paul.

In sum: he wished to guard against those who depended on faith without going on to works, but he had neither the spirit nor the thought nor the eloquence equal to the task. He does violence to Scripture, and so contradicts Paul and all Scripture. He tries to accomplish by emphasizing law what the apostles bring about by attracting men to love. I therefore refuse him a place among the writers of the true canon of my bible; but I would not prevent anyone placing him or raising him where he likes, for the epistle contains many excellent passages. One man does not count as a man even in the eyes of the world; how then shall this single and isolated writer count against Paul and all the rest of the Bible

Luther’s Preface to James and Jude

It’s rather painful to read how Protestants try to get around this. You either follow traditions of the Church of Christ or of heretical men like Luther, to be a Protestant is to choose the latter and reject the former.
Analysis
This 1542 Table Talk utterance does reflect Luther's earlier view of James- that he was not an apostle, but rather a later Christian. His earlier preface to James (1522) states, "Though this epistle of St. James was rejected by the ancients, I praise it and consider it a good book, because it sets up no doctrines of men but vigorously promulgates the law of God. However, to state my own opinion about it, though without prejudice to anyone, I do not regard it as the writing of an apostle" (LW 35:395). In the Babylonian Captivity of the Church (1520) Luther states, "[M]any assert with much probability that this epistle is not by James the apostle, and that it is not worthy of an apostolic spirit; although, whoever was its author, it has come to be regarded as authoritative" (LW 36:118). The editors of LW 35 point out that the "ancients" Luther probably had in mind were Eusebius and Jerome (LW 35:395, fn 47). The editors likewise posit that the "many" may have included Luther's Roman Catholic contemporaries, Desiderius Erasmus and Cardinal Cajetan. (LW 36:118, fn. 213). Interestingly, The New Catholic Answer Bible (using the NAB) states, "The person to whom this letter is ascribed can scarcely be one of the two members of the Twelve who bore the name James, for he is not identified as an apostle but only as a slave of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ" (p. 1341). They also reference the fact that some scholars hold "James is a pseudonymous work of a later period" (p. 1341-1342).

As to whether or not Luther tried to have James thrown out of the Wittenberg school, I'm not aware of any actual writings from Luther in which he wrote this. It is true though that Luther was bothered by the polemical Roman Catholic use of James throughout his career, so it wouldn't be much of stretch to believe he made this rhetorical comment.
Beggars All: Reformation And Apologetics: Luther: We should throw the Epistle of James out of this school [Wittenberg]

I know you want ignore the link, but it actually deals with those statements in there. Nevermind it is from a Protestant. Truth is truth:

Luther and the canon 3

Upvote 0

Euodius

Are you kitten me right meow?
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2019
Stafford
✟49,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I guess there's no short concise answer to this..
But, would it be wrong to say they're almost identical to Roman Catholics but with no Pope?

Yes, that would be wrong to say. Roman Catholocism split off from the Church a thousand years ago to follow it's own heresies (many of which were adopted by the protestants who failed to return to the Church after rejecting the heresies of Rome.)

Heresies of RC include (but are not limited to):
The rejection of the energy/essence distinction (and distorted doctrine of absolute divine simplicity and altering the means of salvation by making direct knowledge to God impossible, thus the Roman Catholic and Protestant perspective nullifies the possibility of a personal relationship with Christ by denying uncreated grace)
The dialectic oppositional relationship of love between of Father and Son producing the Spirit (expressed through the filioque and a devaluation of the person of the Spirit)
The immediate universal jurisdiction of the papacy
Papal infallibility

This has caused distortions in the praxis of the Western Church and has logically lead to the Pachamama Synod.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Analysis
This 1542 Table Talk utterance does reflect Luther's earlier view of James- that he was not an apostle, but rather a later Christian. His earlier preface to James (1522) states, "Though this epistle of St. James was rejected by the ancients, I praise it and consider it a good book, because it sets up no doctrines of men but vigorously promulgates the law of God. However, to state my own opinion about it, though without prejudice to anyone, I do not regard it as the writing of an apostle" (LW 35:395). In the Babylonian Captivity of the Church (1520) Luther states, "[M]any assert with much probability that this epistle is not by James the apostle, and that it is not worthy of an apostolic spirit; although, whoever was its author, it has come to be regarded as authoritative" (LW 36:118). The editors of LW 35 point out that the "ancients" Luther probably had in mind were Eusebius and Jerome (LW 35:395, fn 47). The editors likewise posit that the "many" may have included Luther's Roman Catholic contemporaries, Desiderius Erasmus and Cardinal Cajetan. (LW 36:118, fn. 213). Interestingly, The New Catholic Answer Bible (using the NAB) states, "The person to whom this letter is ascribed can scarcely be one of the two members of the Twelve who bore the name James, for he is not identified as an apostle but only as a slave of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ" (p. 1341). They also reference the fact that some scholars hold "James is a pseudonymous work of a later period" (p. 1341-1342).

As to whether or not Luther tried to have James thrown out of the Wittenberg school, I'm not aware of any actual writings from Luther in which he wrote this. It is true though that Luther was bothered by the polemical Roman Catholic use of James throughout his career, so it wouldn't be much of stretch to believe he made this rhetorical comment.
Beggars All: Reformation And Apologetics: Luther: We should throw the Epistle of James out of this school [Wittenberg]

I know you want ignore the link, but it actually deals with those statements in there. Nevermind it is from a Protestant. Truth is truth:

Luther and the canon 3
Luther used the excuse that James himself didn’t write the Episte as an excuse to exclude it from the canon due to Apostolic authorship being a criteria for a book to be canonical, obviously this contradicts how the Church Fathers dealt with James. Luther’s whole argument rests on the presupposition that James and Paul contradict each other and since James’s epistle teaches the law while Christianity doesn’t then it must be false and discarded. The problem is that both premises are simply not true just as any Protestants such as yourself would themselves agree. James no where teaches the law or works of the law is required for salvation or is the gateway to salvation so that obviously makes Luther in error and a heretic for trying to exclude it from the canon, especially since it was part of the Biblical canon for centuries. Also it’s worth noting that the ancients didn’t outright reject James it was disputed due to its authorship being generally harder to determine same went for 2 Peter and the book of revelation, no one disputed its Orthodoxy or disputed its authorship due to what it taught or its content. James the “Brother of the Lord” mentioned in the book of Acts isn’t one of the twelve Apostles anyway, the Epistle has never been regarded as having been written by James the Son of Zebedee the Apostle. By the way it’s worth noting that Luther frequently contradicted himself in his lifetime when it came to his doctrines and teachings, how does he praise and respect the book if he states that it “does violence to Paul and opposes scripture and teaches the law instead of Christ.” The link you gave doesn’t deal with those statements, it poorly attempts to justify Martin Luther’s blatant heresy.

Upvote 0

Euodius

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2019
Stafford
✟49,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Luther used the excuse that James himself didn’t write the Episte as an excuse to exclude it from the canon due to Apostolic authorship being a criteria for a book to be canonical, obviously this contradicts how the Church Fathers dealt with James. Luther’s whole argument rests on the presupposition that James and Paul contradict each other and since James’s epistle teaches the law while Christianity doesn’t then it must be false and discarded. The problem is that both premises are simply not true just as any Protestants such as yourself would themselves agree. James no where teaches the law or works of the law is required for salvation or is the gateway to salvation so that obviously makes Luther in error and a heretic for trying to exclude it from the canon, especially since it was part of the Biblical canon for centuries. Also it’s worth noting that the ancients didn’t outright reject James it was disputed due to its authorship being generally harder to determine same went for 2 Peter and the book of revelation, no one disputed its Orthodoxy or disputed its authorship due to what it taught or its content. James the “Brother of the Lord” mentioned in the book of Acts isn’t one of the twelve Apostles anyway, the Epistle has never been regarded as having been written by James the Son of Zebedee the Apostle. By the way it’s worth noting that Luther frequently contradicted himself in his lifetime when it came to his doctrines and teachings, how does he praise and respect the book if he states that it “does violence to Paul and opposes scripture and teaches the law instead of Christ.” The link you gave doesn’t deal with those statements, it poorly attempts to justify Martin Luther’s blatant heresy.

And what of Luke? Luke did not have apostolic authority in himself, but wrote on the authority of an apostle. So, wouldn't Luther have to remove Luke to be consistent with his own argumentation?

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And what of Luke? Luke did not have apostolic authority in himself, but wrote on the authority of an apostle. So, wouldn't Luther have to remove Luke to be consistent with his own argumentation?
Writing on the authority of an Apostle means your operating within the grounds of an Apostle so it still applies to him as he wrote with Apostolic authority.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
..The link you gave doesn’t deal with those statements, it poorly attempts to justify Martin Luther’s blatant heresy.
I read the link as well. Apparently we are supposed to believe Luther didn't mean what he actually said.

Reactions: Barney2.0
Upvote 0

Euodius

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2019
Stafford
✟49,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Writing on the authority of an Apostle means your operating within the grounds of an Apostle so it still applies to him as he wrote with Apostolic authority.

But wouldn't the Epistle also have the authority of the apostle?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I read the link as well. Apparently we are supposed to believe Luther didn't mean what he actually said.
I’m afraid so, his writings are pretty clear to point where Protestant scholars don’t even bother defending his actions anymore.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But wouldn't the Epistle also have the authority of the apostle?
Yes it would, it’s worth noting being an Apostle doesn’t necessarily mean being one of the original twelve disciples of Christ.

Upvote 0

Euodius

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2019
Stafford
✟49,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes it would, it’s worth noting being an Apostle doesn’t necessarily mean being one of the original twelve disciples of Christ.
Right, I'm aware of that, I'm confused by the distinction between Luke and James in Luther's mind.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right, I'm aware of that, I'm confused by the distinction between Luke and James in Luther's mind.
If you know the Orthodox understanding of the relationship between faith and works then you won’t see any distinction between Paul (not Luke) and James. This only becomes a problem when you hold to Protestantism.

Upvote 0

Euodius

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2019
Stafford
✟49,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you know the Orthodox understanding of the relationship between faith and works then you won’t see any distinction between Paul (not Luke) and James. This only becomes a problem when you hold to Protestantism.

No, I'm talking about the distinction of why Luther dismissed the Epistle of James and not the Gospel of Luke. It seems like both would fall under Luther's reasons to dismiss a book. I do understand that there is not a distinction between Paul and James.

Upvote 0