• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does anyone else think like me?

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by ElizaR123, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Dave-W

Dave-W Our six grandchildren Supporter

+6,793
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    That is a normal process. You are in the middle of making your faith your own. Of course the devil (and our own flesh) does not want us to follow God and His ways; so he sows doubts about everything.

The choice now is yours. I encourage you to choose life and faith in God.

2. Little Lantern

Little Lantern "The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD." Supporter

+2,098
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Greetings, and welcome to CF, @ElizaR123. May you find godly encouragement, good fellowship, and engaging discussion here. God bless you.
    Agreeing with Jason, here...

3. joshcorn

joshcorn Member

+72
    Canada
    Christian
    Single
    Solomon and the Book of Ecclesiastes.

Eliza you sound like Solomon in the book of Ecclesiastes. It is a place in life we all seem to get to at sometime in our lives.
    Ecclesiastes I would rename the book of frustration.
    I though about the life of Solomon and his end off and on over a number of years. What Caused him to take the wrong road in the end. I found the answer to that question in the book of Job.
    For there years I hear the Lord say read the book of Job. I would read it and the then ask him what I needed to read next. He would say read the book of Job again. This went on for three years much to my frustration.
    Finally the last time I started to read Job I was deturned to see what in the book of Job I kept missing The Lord wanted me to see. The Lord in the end of the book of Job rebuked Job and his three friends and they where told to repent. The one person I had failed so see that God did not tell to repent was Elihu. He was not listed as one of Jobs friends. Maybe he was just walking by and desided to stay and hear what was going on.
    In the end He added to the conversation,so why did not God rebuke him to,then the thought struck me. He was the only one when he spoke that spoke out of wisdom,knowledge and understanding.
    I had to do some repenting. Every time I speak with out these three does God rebuke me.
    Solon had wisdom and knowledge but never seek ed understand,The true meaning of life.

4. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+11,514
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yes, the answer lies beyond the created world - even though the Creator is gloriously seen in it.

5. mnorian

mnorian Oldbie--Eternal Optimist Staff Member Supervisor Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+4,584
    Christian
    Married
    Mod hat on
    upload_2017-11-29_21-50-50.jpeg
    Thread has been moved from
    Introduce Yourself forum
    to
    Christian Philosophy & Ethics
    for a better fit.
    Carry on.

6. NurseAbigail

NurseAbigail God decided the world needed some comedy... Supporter

+1,233
    United States
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    Totally get you, I see it every time at work, I deal with various types of patients, and see how fleeting everything is, especially with those who are nearing death, I can't help but have a mental image of how vibrantly young and healthy they must've been when they were younger, truly time went by quickly, one day I might be one of those lying in a hospital bed, unable to care for myself and perhaps not thinking straight anymore. Only things done for Christ will last in this lifetime, and will have great impact in eternal life. Money, fame, and beauty fade away like vapor, here today and gone tomorrow. Best to be content with what you have and do all you can for the Glory of God, no regrets in these.

7. Gottservant

Gottservant God loves your words, may men love them also Supporter

+105
    Messianic
    Life in perspective, is better than cynicism.

Imagine getting to Heaven and being cynical about what God can do next? (All your friends are going to end up that way, actually - give or take someone like you praying for them).

Perspective without labour, is more than futile.

-

Don't forget, the Holy Spirit can take your whole life on - if you will be patient (in principle) with Him!

8. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+535
    Catholic
    Married
    Ecclesiastes is beautiful! Truly a pearl of wisdom was found and recorded by this rich kings kid who had everything-and was satisfied by none of it. Vanity of vanities, everything is vanity...there's nothing new under the sun! What a revelation, and what a perfect preparation for the one thing man needs-and that Christ brought back into the picture: man needs God, direct, intimate relationship with Him, or else he remains lost in futility. "God alone satisfies", as Aquinas put it.

I need to hear Solomon's words, to reflect on his experience, so I can continue to be reminded of the emptiness of trying to find fulfillment in worldly, created things, so that I will seek higher.

9. Violet Edge

Violet Edge New Member

+32
    Canada
    Christian
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    girll, I'm in the same place as you. I'm 19 and in my second year of uni! I love talking about deep things and I often think sooo deeply about life and the world and how we are just here on this planet. You're not the only one haha
    It blows my mind that people can go through life without knowing Jesus.. like don't they have questions about how we got here and how the world began and how we can walk and talk and see and hear and EVERYTHING ahh

About the meaninglessness of life.. I try to avoid from thinking like that by focusing my thoughts on how good God is and how we should be glorifying him in every way we can. AND one day we will get to be with him,, there is nothing meaningless about that!, we just gotta get through this world first.

hmu in inbox if you want:)

~Violet

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  10. Tom Farebrother

Tom Farebrother Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,527
    Romania
    Christian
    Married

Haha this takes me back, I mean I remember having similar thoughts when I was your age. I read catch 22 several times when I was 17 or 18, it was close on becoming my ‘bible’ for life (that was before I actually got to grips with The Bible). The message of Heller’s novel is that everything is meaningless, just a big meaningless joke, so just do what you want, because it has no meaning, which kind of fit how I saw the world at that point. When I started reading the bible Ecclesiastes was the first book I read all the way through, and what I found there was a different message, namely that the things people often chase after in life don’t provide any ultimate meaning, but getting to know God does provide meaning, in buckets. I’m not suggesting it’s easy or straighforward but there’s nothing else that compares to getting to know God.
    Someone else here suggested stopping reading Ecclesiastes, well I’d say the opposite, read it, study it, invest in some good, solid commentaries, learn and discuss with others what you are learning, and take that approach to the rest of the bible. There is a bottomless well of meaning in the word of God.
    I went on to study philosophy and psychology at uni, and I’d recommend familiarising yourself with the works of western philosophers as a starting point. No philosopher will guide you to the truth, but if you’re interested in pursuing your ideas then studying philosophy is an excellent way of developing the thinking tools that will help you in that pursuit.

11. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+1,789
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Welcome to CF! :wave:

Well, Ecclesiastes concludes this way:

Now all has been heard;
    here is the conclusion of the matter:
    Fear God and keep his commandments,
    for this is the duty of all mankind.
    For God will bring every deed into judgement,
    including every hidden thing,
    whether it is good or evil.

Sure, lots of people are.

[​IMG]

12. gym_class_hero

gym_class_hero Active Member

+355
    Christian
    Married
    welcome aboard Eliza. God bless you

13. tulipbee

tulipbee Worker of the Hive

+225
    Christian
    Private
    My sifu once told me I was the center of the universe. he told that to each of his students. why don't you think you're the center of the universe and live life from there? being the center requires awesome responsibility and you know you can handle that, right? once you know that then you'll find Jesus at the core of your center

14. Radagast

Radagast has left CF

+1,789
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    And, I take it, you're in the Commonwealth, not the USA. :wave:

15. Violet Edge

Violet Edge New Member

+32
    Canada
    Christian
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    haha! I keep forgetting, I mean "college". It just sounds so weird to me:)

16. Tom Farebrother

Tom Farebrother Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,527
    Romania
    Christian
    Married

Amazing photo. Do you know where that was taken from? Is it a composite or just shot as is, if you know?

Thanks

17. JacquelineDeane55

JacquelineDeane55 Newbie

+646
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    Actually I am a bit of a philosopher myself and I ponder and think about the origins of mankind all the time.

Things like, why are we here? Where did we come from? What is the purpose of life?

I know that the Bible says that GOD is the cause and reason for existence in this world. It provides an explanation as to where life came from and where we are going. It answers a lot of the questions I have had.

I believe that there is an afterlife. I think that when we die we become ghosts and live eternally somewhere else rather than the earth. The earth is only the physical plane of existence, only one plane of existence -- your spirit however, lives in a totally different plane of existence after you die. Like another dimension or something.

I have heard people say, "You only get one life."

I do not believe that is true. I think that statement is an uneducated one at best.

I believe that people get two lives, not one. We get this first earthly existence, and then after we die we get an eternal existence, since the soul is eternal and indestructible. Once you are a ghost you cannot die anymore, unless GOD in his infinite power terminates your soul.

18. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+5,023
    Anabaptist
    For most all the world population, yes....

Find out in the New Testament who became "ONE" with Jesus and the Father.

Eternal Life changes everything.

19. ElizaR123

ElizaR123 New Member

+13
    United States
    Christian
    Single

20. ElizaR123

ElizaR123 New Member

+13
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Niiice. Yup, exactly. Although, I think our second/eternal existence contains a different kind of free will unlike the one we have on earth. Our free will here is more self based, and I think in heaven it's all God based. There, we will do only because of God, if that makes sense. Here, we do because of ourselves. And I can imagine our eternal existence is almost like a dream. A dream feels real, the senses and everything feel real, and everything just is. In a dream we don't question how we teleported somewhere, how we saw something, how something transformed into something else, why a word was spoken without context. I don't think we question anything anymore once we're there, I think we just know. It will be our reality, and it will just be.