Does anybody hate college but feel like you have to go anyway?

Aaliyah

Sep 5, 2009
✟7,916.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I just really don't like school and I never have but I know I have to go to college to do anything with my life. Does anybody else feel like this? Do you think that you have to learn to like school like when you're younger? I'm not sure I really know anybody that particularly likes school but it just seems like something you would acquire when you are young. I feel like it has to do with your childhood as to whether you like it or not. Maybe I'm wrong though.

There some aspects of school that I do like. I do enjoy learning some things but I just feel like it's so stressful and it's something that I HAVE to do. I don't like pressure. But, anyway, enough of my rambling. Do you think it's me or is school just not enjoyable??

Reactions: Neve

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I just really don't like school and I never have but I know I have to go to college to do anything with my life. Does anybody else feel like this? Do you think that you have to learn to like school like when you're younger? I'm not sure I really know anybody that particularly likes school but it just seems like something you would acquire when you are young. I feel like it has to do with your childhood as to whether you like it or not. Maybe I'm wrong though.

There some aspects of school that I do like. I do enjoy learning some things but I just feel like it's so stressful and it's something that I HAVE to do. I don't like pressure. But, anyway, enough of my rambling. Do you think it's me or is school just not enjoyable??

I love school. When I was younger I really hated it, but as I got older (esspecially in my last few years of high school) I started to love being there, and that's continued through my second year of undergrad.

I think that the turning point for me in the way that I looked at school and everything was getting a "real job" that I worked part time in high school. I really hated that kind of work, hard manual labor in terrible conditions and an oppresive work environment... all for minimum wage that hardly covered gas expenses. That's when I started to appreciate school. It's such a blessing to be able to go sit down in a clean, friendly environment and learn history, english, science, etc.

For me it's great to be able to go to school.

And for me (aside from my math credits that I'm finished with), college has been pretty easy. That helps, but I'm sure sometime in the future I will be involved in more rigorous coursework.

Upvote 0
S

steelie

College has had its wonderful points and it's had its terrible points. The coursework ranges from tedious to fascinating, from so easy I want to scream to exciting and challenging. I like it overall but I can't help wondering if it is actually worth four years and all that money when degrees don't really mean as much these days.
I will be forever grateful for college because I met my fiancee there (3 years ago).
I will forever hate college for triggering my ED so badly.

I'm sure I'll miss it but sometimes I really wish I had learned a trade instead.

Upvote 0

vava524

Jun 23, 2009
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
Try changing your mindset. I used to hate school and some college but when I changed my mindset, I started to look forward to my classes. I also tried balancing my required classes with subjects I was interested in.

(I.e. Dualing Chemistry with Abnormal Psych / Biology with Italian / Calculus with Playwritting / Cell Biology <-- which I grew to like and Social Psychology)

And with the classes I hated, I'd force myself to find something interesting in the class which would end up with me enjoying the subject. Anyways, if all else fails, keep the serenity prayer in mind.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Boss_BlueAngels

Life is better when you're flying upside down.
Jul 19, 2005
Seattle
Visit site
✟14,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure 99&#37; of people feel this way. Unfortunately we live in a time of academic inflation. Associates degrees are equivilent to a HS diploma, 4-year degrees are similar to an associates, and you basically need a masters to get anyplace these days.

Not to mention the fact that universities are not schools at all, but businesses specializing in the sales of individual pieces of paper.

Having said that, there are still a lot of useful classes that will be really great experiences for you. But once you start dealing with the stupid process of actually graduating (ie. not giving them any more money) you will know what I mean. I say the sole purpose of college is to learn patience and determination.

Upvote 0

Neve

Always even
Jul 27, 2006
Corona
✟14,608.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

It's not just you, but I think a lot of factors go into whether you enjoy school or not. Your childhood, your social support system, your friends, family, work status, and financial obligations can all impact your enjoyment of school, and my list is not exhaustive.

Upvote 0

LordTimothytheWise

Fides Quaerens Intellectum
Nov 8, 2007
✟8,542.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not just you, but I think a lot of factors go into whether you enjoy school or not. Your childhood, your social support system, your friends, family, work status, and financial obligations can all impact your enjoyment of school, and my list is not exhaustive.
Agreed. That's why I hate it. :p

I think a lot of people love learning but hate school. Another issue is just the amount of autonomy you have can very well influence how you feel about it. As another 9-5/8-4 deal it does get boring though. Try to mix things up a bit if you have enough money, even try studying abroad. That sounds like fun.

If you want to be rich and famous though, college isn't going to get you there. It probably won't hurt, but if you don't want some kind of specific career with some kind of degree requirement, I don't know what good it does you.

Upvote 0

TrueImpossibility

Apr 10, 2007
✟8,104.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
For me and for most people I know, college was/is a lot better than high school. I mean, I still didn't like going to class and all that, but college was the best time in my life. I was in a great dorm with friends I loved, I was involved in several Christian groups, Bible studies and other groups that I had so much fun with. There are opportunities to go on conferences in different parts of the country and chances to go overseas to study for a semester in a country you've never been to before.

I remember late night movies with a bunch of friends all crammed into a tiny dorm room. Even all nighters in a computer lab finishing up a paper that you waited to the last minute to write and then looking around realizing most of the other people there were doing the exact same thing. And study groups that end up being you and your friends complaining about how lousy the professor is. :) Those kind of memories you don't make flipping burgers or even stitching up a patient during surgery.

Of course, if you just can't bring yourself to do it, there are other options depending on what you want to do. Have you looked at vocational-technical schools? I know, they are still schools - but it's a whole different format of learning. It's very hands on and very little lecture or textbook reading. I did a two-year program in graphic design but there's also nursing programs, carpentry, drafting, culinary arts, computer technology, etc. You learn your major by hands-on activities rather than learning about it from a book.

There are also several careers that don't require education higher than a high school diploma you just have to know what career you want and what is required for it. Or, you can work where you want now and if you decide to go to college later in life, do that. There are many people who start working and go back to school later in their life when they are ready to go back.

But, unfortunately, one huge drawback to being an adult is we suddenly are flooded with things we HAVE to do. We have to work to make money, we have to use that money to pay bills, we have to take care of our own place, we have to make our own meals (or buy our own from a restaurant), do our own laundry, do our own grocery shopping, etc. There's no getting away from that. So if you think that it's going to be less pressure to not go to college, I would advise you that the opposite may be true. I felt a lot less responsibility in college than out of it.

Upvote 0

aric714

Veteran
Jul 27, 2005
Conway, Ar
✟9,414.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The thing that I hate is the repeat of information from high school and then PAYING for classes that have nothing to do with your major just to make you a "more rounded" student. I'm Junior and now that I have my basics out of the way I really like my classes because they deal directly with my major and I WANT that information.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

4christ88

Angel in training
Jan 10, 2004
Queens, NYC, US
✟19,612.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
argh...k first of all its after 4am and i'm still awake though i'm exhausted have been sick with bronchitis, missed THREE midterms...and yea looks like i have to postpone the exam i am making up in a couple of hrs

aaahhh dear Lord, why am i here again?!!

Upvote 0

Aaliyah

Sep 5, 2009
✟7,916.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I can sympathize with you all and TrueImpossibilty, thanks for the advice. You're right and I have also examined these concepts in my head and they are true.

I'm so glad that I have a different mindset than when I wrote this! I really have come to enjoy school way more than I did before. I'm taking biology right now and it's actually so interesting I can't believe it. I think I want to become a doctor. :D

I think the main thing is that you have to know what you want to be and really want it. I'm not going to be a doctor right now( but who knows) but I really like the other thing I'm going for. When I wrote this, I just wasn't too sure. I've really grown to appreciate school a lot more. I'm just so sad it took me this long. I just dragged myself through the first two years of college, hating every minute of it.

There is always the thing of actually going to classes though which sucks. Right now Im taking online classes so I don't have to deal with that. And the whole money issue. I just wish I was rich so I wouldn't have to worry about it. But if I was rich i wouldn't have to go to college. lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I liked college better than high school but I still found it tedious. I love learning and discovering new things but not in a rigorous environment with someone telling me I'll fail if I don't learn it their way and on their time schedule. I'm glad to be done and it did help me get a good job, so for that I'm very grateful. It may not be fun but once you're finished and working a solid job it's easier to look back and be glad you did it.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm glad I graduated, but when I was going to school. I enjoyed it, the only thing I didn't like was all the general education courses I had to take. I understand I was going into Liberal Arts, but seriously. I had to take courses like Art History and Philosophy and a science course. These courses just seem useless to me and don't seem like they'll help me. But overall the college experience has been good. You get the opportunity to meet all kinds of different people. Participate in all kinds of activities and you get free stuff. ;)

I felt I had to go, because to me there weren't many options. It was either, go into the army, end up at a dead end job (of course that could happen now) or get married. These weren't appealing to me, so I felt I had to go to college.

Upvote 0