Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Forbes 12/08/2013

Doctor, Nurse Vacancies Soar Amid Obamacare Rollout

Doctor and nurse vacancies are approaching nearly 20 percent at hospitals as these facilities prepare to be inundated by millions of patients who have the ability to pay for medical care thanks to the Affordable Care Act.

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟233,000.00
Faith
Christian
Doctor and nurse vacancies are approaching nearly 20 percent at hospitals as these facilities prepare to be inundated by millions of patients who have the ability to pay for medical care thanks to the Affordable Care Act.

You mean they can afford to get treated? The horror!

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟442,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Just hope nursing and medical schools don't lower standards to meet the increased demand, because that will not be a good thing.

In my 20 years in healthcare, I have witnessed many a nurse and physicians, where you wonder how they ever got a license.

True, but the same can be said of almost any profession. You'd think for what Americans pay for healthcare, the "product" would always be worth the cost. Sadly, it isn't so.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The average RN is in his/her mid-40's. The average RN retires at 59. It's a demanding job physically and mentally. They are leaving the workforce because they are getting old. That has nothing to do with the ACA. Nursing educators are also retiring for the same reason. That means a bottle-neck in attempts to train more nurses to fill the need.

Upvote 0

WanderingBloom

Real Heroes Don't Wear Capes.They Wear Dog Tags.
Nov 24, 2013
✟568.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟281,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are plenty of nursing school students ready to fill the void and then some.

Not surprising; there's nothing else left in the country for people to go into, unless it's Wal-Mart greeters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Forbes 12/08/2013

Doctor, Nurse Vacancies Soar Amid Obamacare Rollout

You mean they can afford to get treated? The horror!

For both above.
They have health insurance(which they probably can't afford), no one said they could afford to get treated.
with an average deductible of $3500, I doubt many could afford a hospital stay even with insurance. Most hospital stays will be more then the deductible, so they will have over a $3500 bill come due.

Eventually nursing students will catch up, but they are set up for the need prior to Obamacare. There will be a gap between school meeting the needs and filling the needs.
BTW there was a nursing shortage before Obamacare.

The same problem exists with Dr's. Medical schools produce a set number of Dr's. The country will need more since theoretically millions more people will be able to see them regularly.
I believe Dr's and office workers will see a more drastic increase. Office visits are more economical then hospital visits. Much more likely to pay a co-pay to see a Dr then pay the deductible for a one day hospital stay.
That will extend into the hospital later but the initial bolus will be Dr offices. Good luck finding one that accepts new patients when new insured people start finding a family Dr.
In case you didn't know, Dr's limit the number of patients they cover. I lived in an area that had a Dr shortage for many years. Dr None was the most popular Dr. on admission forms.

Just like most government programs, long waits, delays and not enough staff will be a problem.
We assume that more people will sacrifice and pay for the insurance rather then just shaft the government, not get the insurance and change their taxes so they won't get a refund.
They would assume that the IRS will never change policy and start collection proceedings. They will, people will lose their homes, go bankrupt trying to pay the fees. But they can't drive people into bankruptcy at the start, it wouldn't look good for the program.
The IRS has been muzzled on Obamacare, that Muzzle will come off.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
For both above.
They have health insurance(which they probably can't afford), no one said they could afford to get treated.
with an average deductible of $3500, I doubt many could afford a hospital stay even with insurance. Most hospital stays will be more then the deductible, so they will have over a $3500 bill come due.

Am I missing something? If they have insurance with a $3500 deductible, why would they get a bill over $3500? Isn't that when the insurance kicks in?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟908,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The average RN is in his/her mid-40's. The average RN retires at 59. It's a demanding job physically and mentally. They are leaving the workforce because they are getting old. That has nothing to do with the ACA. Nursing educators are also retiring for the same reason. That means a bottle-neck in attempts to train more nurses to fill the need.
Yet it would be foolish ri lower the standards so that bottleneck will always be there, likely.

Upvote 0

Gailerina

Oct 21, 2013
Maryland
✟15,413.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I work in the Health Care field in administration and I can tell you that filling the roles or Doctors and Nurses has been a problem for a number of years. For our company, it comes down to the area, which affects hospitals as well. We treat the low income and with that comes all kind of issues, especially mental health and addictions. Also common is the elderly who are used to get pain killers.

Now a doctor can open a practice an decide to not accept insurances or only a small amount of some...but that is a risky move.

Upvote 0

Gailerina

Oct 21, 2013
Maryland
✟15,413.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yet it would be foolish ri lower the standards so that bottleneck will always be there, likely.

This is already an issue when you look at Medical Assistants. Medical Assistants are also do most of the duties that a nurse once did in practices and who knows if that will eventually move to hospitals in some role.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Given all the hassles that Obama has been through over healthcare the President should gave gone for a real universal plan:
- every citizen automatically enrolled
- health costs paid out of general tax revenue {no middle man)
- no deductibles
- no caps
- no personal bankruptcies based on health costs

This could all be done for far less than America is currently spending on healthcare - see Canada!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Given all the hassles that Obama has been through over healthcare the President should gave gone for a real universal plan:
- every citizen automatically enrolled
- health costs paid out of general tax revenue {no middle man)
- no deductibles
- no caps
- no personal bankruptcies based on health costs
This could all be done for far less than America is currently spending on healthcare - see Canada!

This reminds me. Having been born and raised in Canada, the system you describe is all I really know. But I am wondering what the US system is like, in terms of costs.

For instance, I recently had to take my wife to the hospital. We went to the ER because she was having severe abdominal pain. After arriving, we checked in, it was about 30 minutes until we saw the triage nurse, then another 20 minutes until we got into the actual treatment area. There we saw a nurse who got more info, then a doctor. They then gave her a shot (an anti-inflammatory) and took two vials of blood for testing. She also gave a urine sample for testing. We then waited again for the results of the tests and for an evaluation from the doctor. Luckily, nothing was seriously wrong and the doctor wrote my wife a prescription and advised that we follow up with her family doctor. We were out of there exactly three hours after we arrived. We then went to get the prescription filled. The cost for the visit and the pills was $0.00 out of pocket.

What I am curious about is what might one expect to pay for such an incident in the US if they didn't have insurance? Or if they had low-level insurance? Would there have been insurance that covered everything? If someone went through what we went through, how much would it have cost them? I understand that it would vary greatly depending on specifics, but say a visit, two blood tests, one urine test, one shot, and one prescription.

Also, what sort of time would one spend in the ER in such a circumstance? Again, I understand it would vary but this was a larger hospital in the city, on a Tuesday afternoon.

Just wondering if anyone can give me a reasonable US comparison for my most recent Canadian experience.

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

but that truth won't stop the cynics from attacking ACA or the president

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I am curious about is what might one expect to pay for such an incident in the US if they didn't have insurance? Or if they had low-level insurance? Would there have been insurance that covered everything? If someone went through what we went through, how much would it have cost them? I understand that it would vary greatly depending on specifics, but say a visit, two blood tests, one urine test, one shot, and one prescription.

There's no good answer to that. Costs vary drastically from place to place and insurance companies negotiate with providers over what stuff should cost. So a given procedure with insurance could have a total cost of $X for a person with one insurance and $Y for a person with a different plan.

Now, that's total cost including what the insurance company pays, so the individual doesn't pay it all. How much an individual pays depends entirely on their individual plan. They'd have some co-pay, some deductible, etc. What those values are depends on the plan. They COULD be $0, but that would be a very expensive plan.

Even for an individual without insurance, it's hard to say how much a given procedure would cost. If you walk into the ER and get treated, you are looking at at LEAST a couple hundred dollars probably much more.

As an example, several years ago I cut my finger open and figured it required stitches. I went to a nearby ER that was within walking distance. I had insurance but didn't have the card with me. When we got the bill, the total cost for a couple stitches was over $1000. After submitting the insurance info, the total charges were more along the line of $300. Total out of pocket ended up being $100. Actually, I believe it was more than that, but it was years ago and I don't remember the exact values, but it was at least those numbers in those proportions.

Upvote 0