Up in the Clouds
✟2,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The one thing that annoys me very much on cable is the ads or commercials. They are comparative and divisive. For one thing, there are so many medication ads. There are so many for a half an hour show.

Last edited:

Agnos

thriving
Mar 9, 2020
Nowherelandia
✟10,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It is not surprising.

Pssst.. It apparently is to most people. I don't know a single person outside this forum who doesn't watch TV/Netflix. Feels alienating sometimes.

Person: *talks about a show*
Me: What's that?
Person: *mentions celebrity's name*
Me: Who?

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes. I have a range of things I like watching. Streaming services tend to be a la carte, so my vast entertainment needs would go unfilled.

I'm a sports fan. Cable still best option for that. Plus I watch the news, cartoons occasionally, TBN, ID Channel, etc. It's nice to just have on in the background sometimes too.

Plus, cable's bundled in w/ my Internet.

I do watch a lot on YouTube tho (but even that's thru my cable package so I can watch it on the TV)

It's also not 'live' TV, but my 'cable' package also offers movies On Demand. I still pick up DVD's from the library when the movie I want to watch isn't in 'rotation', & because I just like watching it off DVD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SigurdReginson

Aug 4, 2020
PNW
✟45,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I’m a binger. I watch what I want and leave for awhile and return when the season is done.

I grabbed Hulu for The Handmaid’s Tale.

Oh! I haven't seen that. Is it any good?

As for me, youtube and streaming services. Me and my family all share streaming services. I pay for Amazon prime video, my brother pays for hulu, and my parents pay for netflix. It's a pretty sweet deal. :D

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nhisname

Dec 21, 2020
SW MO
✟28,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The one thing that annoys me very much on cable is the ads or commercials. They are comparative and divisive. For one thing, there are so many medication ads. There are so many for a half an hour show.

I agree, I'm sick of dysfunctional lifestyles(for lack of a better term) shoved down my throat this is why I watch a lot of black-and-white white movies, no ads.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh! I haven't seen that. Is it any good?

As for me, youtube and streaming services. Me and my family all share streaming services. I pay for Amazon prime video, my brother pays for hulu, and my parents pay for netflix. It's a pretty sweet deal. :D

We have a similar setup. I have multiple channels.

Handmaid’s Tale is delicious! The new season is coming. Do a 30 day Hulu trial and decide for yourself.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Do you watch cable TV?
Rarely, mostly when my 5mps internet connection goes down. I prefer YouTube albeit they can have plenty of ads too. The difference is most ads can be terminated after 5 secs.

Also there's far FAR more variety on the internet and each channel seems to have targeted advertising based on the channel and not the viewer. Basically not much repetition of ads when you don't view all your entertainment and news from only one source.

For instance I watch CIRA International which is a Christian apologetics channel run by an ex-Muslim from Saudi Arabia now living in America. That channel has Islamic charity commercials because Muslims also watch and can leave comments. Another Christian channel would make you believe that counter to what cable TV news would have you believe, the reality is once Muslims immigrate to the west they and especially their children are leaving Islam by a significant number. That channel too has Islamic charity ads.

Other channels have different ads. DIY channel has ads for things like tools, Music channels do Hollywood type ads and so on...

The way I see it, the writing is on the wall. Newspapers gave way to radio, radio to TV and then to cable TV. Especially in urban areas the next step is the internet and it's already here in many places. I don't think I'll be missing cable TV any time soon.

Upvote 0

SigurdReginson

Aug 4, 2020
PNW
✟45,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
We have a similar setup. I have multiple channels.

Handmaid’s Tale is delicious! The new season is coming. Do a 30 day Hulu trial and decide for yourself.

No need! I'll just use my brother's account. :D

Now that my life has settled down, it's odd to think of all of the spare time I have with these 12 hour shifts... I now work less days than I have off. It's a thing of beauty! I should check it out; I dont have much of an excuse not to!

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's a thing of beauty! I should check it out; I dont have much of an excuse not to!

How delightful! I wouldn’t recommend it if I didn’t think you’d enjoy it. ;)

We can watch the new season together.

Upvote 0