Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Alcohol, I'm not a drinker, .maybe ,1 a year. Lately though there are a few i would have liked to try. Getting back to this thread, the alcohol commercials on TV have become way too enticing even for me. They look delicious and make your mouth water. I think it's awful for young adults to resist that temptation. I thought a long with cigs. They had abolished ads like that for the kids sakes. If not they should. What do we do to get this going? I think alcohol is worse than cigs in many many ways

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Alcohol, I'm not a drinker, .maybe ,1 a year. Lately though there are a few i would have liked to try. Getting back to this thread, the alcohol commercials on TV have become way too enticing even for me. They look delicious and make your mouth water. I think it's awful for young adults to resist that temptation. I thought a long with cigs. They had abolished ads like that for the kids sakes. If not they should. What do we do to get this going? I think alcohol is worse than cigs in many many ways
James 1

James 1:14-15
But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.

Television commercials do NOT make anyone do anything. They do not MAKE anyone's mouth water. They appeal to already-existing conditions in the human flesh/soul and those possessing susceptible desires or lusts get dragged away and enticed by those lusts, not the commercial. That commercial is long gone by the time a person turns of the tv, grabs their keys, gets in their car, drives to the convenience store or bar, grabs/orders a drink, and drinks it.
I think alcohol is worse than cigs in many many ways
Possibly, but the lesser of two evils is still evil. Our minds can rationalize away any obstacle and justify any sin. It goes all the way back to Eden.

Genesis 3:12
The man said, "The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate."

Blame God. Blame someone else. They are the reason wrong was done. It's not my fault.

John 3:18-21
He who believes in him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. This is the verdict, that the light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light, for their deeds were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the light and does not come to the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But he who practices the truth comes to the light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God.

No one wants their thoughts or deeds to be seen for what they are. It's the human condition. It goes all the way back to Eden, but that is not an excuse for acquiescence. Isn't best to pursue excellence? Walk in the light and you'll see God is at work in your life. Seeing God at work in our life is a pretty cool gig :cool:. No, it's not easy. Do it anyway.

And brother (or sister) I know what I'm talking about. Not only have I got all the Jesus stuff going for me ;), but there isn't a drug I haven't used often and in larger quantities. I lost ten years of my life in addiction, got saved, went to college, became a professional counselor, did my internship in a residential drug treatment program and have helped dozens recover from that particular form of violent self-abuse. If you lay claim to the name of Christ, then you are an adopted son of The Most High God, privileged with all the power, authority, and inheritance of God's own Son, a royal priest chosen by God Himself to be a member of His holy nation, indwelt with His own Spirit. You can overcome the flesh and resist the devil, putting out every one of the latter's fiery schemes in Christ.

Act like it.

Especially when temptation comes knocking because the problem is first and foremost within, not outside. Remember that parable about the servants who discovered weeds had been sown among the wheat (Mt. 13:24-30)? The wheat comes to harvest. Growing up as wheat in a world full of weeds will not kill you. It is part of the process. When you get to the end you can ask God why He made it that way. Until then, get to work being wheat and not a weed :D.

Ephesians 2:4-10
But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

You and I were created in Christ for good works.

Get busy.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
James 1

But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.

Television commercials do NOT make anyone do anything. They do not MAKE anyone's mouth water. They appeal to already-existing conditions in the human flesh/soul and those possessing susceptible desires or lusts get dragged away and enticed by those lusts, not the commercial. That commercial is long gone by the time a person turns of the tv, grabs their keys, gets in their car, drives to the convenience store or bar, grabs/orders a drink, and drinks it.

Possibly, but the lesser of two evils is still evil. Our minds can rationalize away any obstacle and justify any sin. It goes all the way back to Eden.

The man said, "The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate."

Blame God. Blame someone else. They are the reason wrong was done. It's not my fault.

He who believes in him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. This is the verdict, that the light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light, for their deeds were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the light and does not come to the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But he who practices the truth comes to the light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God.

No one wants their thoughts or deeds to be seen for what they are. It's the human condition. It goes all the way back to Eden, but that is not an excuse for acquiescence. Isn't best to pursue excellence? Walk in the light and you'll see God is at work in your life. Seeing God at work in our life is a pretty cool gig :cool:. No, it's not easy. Do it anyway.

And brother (or sister) I know what I'm talking about. Not only have I got all the Jesus stuff going for me ;), but there isn't a drug I haven't used often and in larger quantities. I lost ten years of my life in addiction, got saved, went to college, became a professional counselor, did my internship in a residential drug treatment program and have helped dozens recover from that particular form of violent self-abuse. If you lay claim to the name of Christ, then you are an adopted son of The Most High God, privileged with all the power, authority, and inheritance of God's own Son, a royal priest chosen by God Himself to be a member of His holy nation, indwelt with His own Spirit. You can overcome the flesh and resist the devil, putting out every one of the latter's fiery schemes in Christ.

Act like it.

Especially when temptation comes knocking because the problem is first and foremost within, not outside. Remember that parable about the servants who discovered weeds had been sown among the wheat (Mt. 13:24-30)? The wheat comes to harvest. Growing up as wheat in a world full of weeds will not kill you. It is part of the process. When you get to the end you can ask God why He made it that way. Until then, get to work being wheat and not a weed :D.

But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Get busy.
Preach brother preach!!! Ridiculous! This is not about you or me, it's about the kids and move to help them. A lot can be done to entice through the eye and admit it or not the clampdown on cigs WORKED!!!!!!! STOP POINTING THE FINGER and do what you can to help the little ones.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
James 1

Act like it.

Get busy.
Practice what you preach. I've not succumbed in my life have you? I'm sure not blind to it.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Preach brother preach!!! Ridiculous! This is not about you or me, it's about the kids and move to help them. A lot can be done to entice through the eye and admit it or not the clampdown on cigs WORKED!!!!!!! STOP POINTING THE FINGER and do what you can to help the little ones.
Practice what you preach. I've not succumbed in my life have you? I'm sure not blind to it.
Holier then thou doesn't reach anyone. It's a turn off.
Much of the op is about you. I also think if my op-reply is read in the same manner the op is intended it will be found I didn't actually mention you, @returntosender. Those are all generics "yous" - a conversation between two siblings in Christ that could be had with any two believers. Post 2 can help anyone having any of the experiences described in the op. That said, if the post is not valued then I will move on. Thank you for your time.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I didn't expect a sermon or judgment. This was about solicitating people toward alcohol with enticing commercials that are hard to ignore and an answer for them. You just wanted to get on your pulpit . You turned into your own agenda

Upvote 0

RocK Guy

Apr 4, 2024
Kansas
✟1,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 6:9,10
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Biblical definition of "drunkards"

G3183 - methusos -- pronounced: meth'-oo-sos

from 3184; tipsy, i.e. (as noun) a sot: KJV -- drunkard.

See Greek No. 3184 <G3184>

G3184 - methuo -- pronounced: meth-oo'-o

from another form of 3178; to drink to intoxication, i.e. get drunk: KJV -- drink well, make (be) drunk(-en).

See Greek No. 3178 <G3178>

Those that drink alcohol are engaging in the appearance of evil even if not
getting drunk, and they are being friendly with the world as well as abusing
their body all of which are not biblical and is sinful behavior.

1 Thessalonians 5:21,22
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
Abstain from all appearance of evil.

James 4:4
Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the
friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever
therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Plus, it's known medical fact that alcohol is harmful to your health and Christians
have been bought with a price they are not their own and are called to glorify
God in their bodies (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) so drinking alcohol is sinful behavior.

1 Corinthians 3:17
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy;
for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Christians have no right to abuse their body by ingesting alcohol.
Those that don't take their relationship with the Lord seriously
would be the ones drinking booze while claiming to be Christians.

• Agree
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
What do we do to get this going? I think alcohol is worse than cigs in many many ways
Get "this" going ? Get what going ?

Warn about three white poisons American parents are giving to their babies and children ? Nah. They don't listen !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Get "this" going ? Get what going ?

Warn about three white poisons American parents are giving to their babies and children ? Nah. They don't listen !
:scratch: What are the 3 white poisons?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perfect example.

There is a lion seeking souls to devour, and succeeding too often beccause people don't care enough to beware - nevermore they say, quoth the raven....

It takes about 15 seconds to internet search the white poisons. The same poisons doctors warned the usa about in or about 1948. The same poisons increasing daily, while people just nod off asleep...
I asked you a question about a topic you brought up only to be met with a nonsensical answer. Hence the nevermind.

I like real answers. Not vague responses or appointing homework to those that inquire in the non answer. I’ve completely lost interest.

So again, nevermind.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
:scratch: What are the 3 white poisons?
I have no idea what @Aaron112 is going on about. Maybe baby powder (talc), Nestle baby milk and sugar? Anyways, I am leaving this thread cos a lot of cryptic stuff is being posted here. The answer to OP is "everything in moderation" and that TV commercials suck, hence why I do not watch regular TV anymore, and instead watch DVDs from the library or streaming services.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have no idea what @Aaron112 is going on about. Maybe baby powder (talc), Nestle baby milk and sugar? Anyways, I am leaving this thread cos a lot of cryptic stuff is being posted here. The answer to OP is "everything in moderation" and that TV commercials suck, hence why I do not watch regular TV anymore, and instead watch DVDs from the library or streaming services.
I looked it up. A bunch of disproven twaddle. Conspiracy laden sites, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I looked it up. A bunch of disproven twaddle.
It seems a lot of stuff is twaddle nowadays (such as conspiracy sites peddled by science deniers), and @Aaron112 bought into it. Baby powder is bad stuff though, cos it can accidentally be inhaled (TIME article), but sugar and milk in moderation is actually healthy.

But anyways, have a good night. I'll leave this thread before others here debate you and I.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems a lot of stuff is twaddle nowadays, and @Aaron112 bought into it. Baby powder is bad stuff though, cos it can accidentally be inhaled (TIME article), but sugar and milk in moderation is actually healthy.

But anyways, have a good night. I'll leave this thread before others here debate you and I.
Have a goodnight Alex. Going to have a glass of milk and go to bed. ;)

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have a goodnight Alex. Going to have a glass of milk and go to bed. ;)
Thank you. About the milk before night, not me, cos I only use milk for oatmeal for the morning. It gives me bad breath before bedtime. Don't want to stink up my room.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you. About the milk before night, not me, cos I only use milk for oatmeal for the morning. It gives me bad breath before bedtime. Don't want to stink up my room.
Lol! Brush your teeth before bed silly! :D

Upvote 0