Do you think reading the bible is important?

the iconoclast

Atheism is weak. Yep, I said it
Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I'm sort of the opposite in that reading the Bible made me begin to think critically about it's contents and pursue an evolution in spirituality that lead me away from Christianity.

Hey hey zoness :)

What in particular made you think critically about its contents?

What is this evolution in spirituality you speak of?

Cheers

Upvote 0

the iconoclast

Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Of course, that doesn't mean you have to treat it any differently from the Graeco-Roman myths (which hold a similar place).

Hey jane :)

Why should we not treat it differently from the graeco roman myths?

Cheers

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married

What in particular made you think critically about its contents?

What is this evolution in spirituality you speak of?

Cheers

My natural incredulity and reading the classic myths everyone learns, such as the story of Jonah or Noah's ark, for example. My parents were Catholic but encouraged skepticism and my love of science (especially astronomy) and so from a young age I was always skeptical of the truth of these stories that people took very literally.

Moving away from the paradigm of strict belief versus disbelief or atheism vs theism, Christianity has dominated the modes of thinking about divinity in the west for a very long time and outside of philosophy its given limited wiggle room for people to explore alternatives. They're probably all equally unlikely, but people enjoy asking big questions and exploring for themselves. The ideas that I've explored especially in the last few years defy neat categorization imposed by large religions.

• Agree
Reactions: TheOldWays
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟961,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am a little late to the party in the thread, but I'll comment that the older I've gotten, the less priority I place on Bible reading. I rank it as a lower priority than worship and prayer. Worship and prayer are being in relationship with God as opposed to reading about being in relationship with God. Christianity began largely with an oral tradition before the New Testament books and letters were written and agreed upon as scripture. And illiteracy of the common man prevailed for centuries yet the faith carried on.

Upvote 0

the iconoclast

Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
My replies will be exactly as long as yours. I'm sure you understand what those words mean.

Hey hey jane :) cool, well ill make my post a little longer to coax you to produce. :)

Ok so your position is we should not treat Christianity differently from the graeco roman myths. The reason why we should not is an alleged case of special pleading and identical levels of plausibility.

Special pleading is an argument in which the speaker deliberately ignores aspects that are unfavourable to their point of view. What does Christianity ignore?

What exactly arguments or statements - re Christian doctrine - seems unreasonable or unprobable? (.eg a plausible explanation)

How r u anyways? i think last time we may have got off the wrong foot. I bring you love, peace and an offer. :)

Cheers jane :)

Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Love and peace is the ONLY foundation-to build....
Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
In relation to what the OP is asking (because people are stating it's ok not to read the bible that much) is it important for a Christian to have read the bible? I'm not saying a child etc who could learn snippets of it here and there as bible verse and as part of a Christian family, but at some stage you would 'assume' that a Christian promoting the merits of the faith or indeed trying to convert (as the OP mentions) that they should understand what they are actually promoting. Unless they are just pushing the 'you need to be saved by Jesus' convenience store pick up, without any theological understanding nor interpretation, just second hand rhetoric that sounds pretty good because you know what's going to happen when you die.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Ok so your position is we should not treat Christianity differently from the graeco roman myths. The reason why we should not is an alleged case of special pleading and identical levels of plausibility.
No, I say we should treat the *Bible* the same as any other text, including Greek mythology. That's an important distinction to make.

Special pleading is an argument in which the speaker deliberately ignores aspects that are unfavourable to their point of view. What does Christianity ignore?
Treating the Bible differently from other texts *is* special pleading.

"Of COURSE there is no reason to assume there was an actual, literal ox-headed monster living in the palace labyrinth at Knossos, Crete. It's quite clear that's a myth.
But the global flood and the ark in Genesis? TOTALLY historical! Why? Because it's part of the tales of the religion I happen to believe in, so any evidence clearly debunking the historicity of this claim must be false."

Many Christians, particularly evangelicals, have ENORMOUS problems when Biblical authorship is researched with the same methods as any other historical text, and wildly object to the notion that, say, the synoptic gospels were not written by independent eyewitnesses.

Special pleading is basically the birthplace of fundamentalism.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Hey hey and thanks for you kind reply. :)

What ideas do you speak of?

Cheers

Animism, Pantheism, Panentheism, Pandeism, Panpsychism (admittedly more of a philosophy of mind), Ietism, Ignosticism, deity as Jungian archetypes, and so on.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A person was talking about jesus with me recently, and during our conversation she admitted she's never actually read the bible. She's only only ever watched "the passion of christ". In fact I've met several people like that one of them even wanted to convert me. So my question is do you think its important for a Christian to have read the bible?

As a general rule, you will find that non believers, have examined the bible closer than believers.

• Agree
Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

the iconoclast

Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Animism, Pantheism, Panentheism, Pandeism, Panpsychism (admittedly more of a philosophy of mind), Ietism, Ignosticism, deity as Jungian archetypes, and so on.

Lets go through them all one by one. Ill play devils advocate - a shame - you will be the pro side. We shall eplore together and come to a conclusion.

Lets look at animism first. Why is animism more a draw card for you than Jesus?

What is attractive about animism?

Cheers hey :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

the iconoclast

Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
No, I say we should treat the *Bible* the same as any other text, including Greek mythology. That's an important distinction to make.

Hey hey jane :)

Please excuse me. What in particular should we treat the Bible the same as? Do you have a specific text?

Treating the Bible differently from other texts *is* special pleading.

How so? I would love for you to give me an explanation and some examples? I mean you no disrespect, im very curious in what you have to say. ;)

"Of COURSE there is no reason to assume there was an actual, literal ox-headed monster living in the palace labyrinth at Knossos, Crete. It's quite clear that's a myth.

Ill make a statement. "This monster does not exist, it is quite obvious that this monster and the Christian God are one and the same. This monster does not exist therefore God does not exist." Is there a problem with me accepting this line of thought. Is this statement logical?

But the global flood and the ark in Genesis? TOTALLY historical! Why?

Have you considered that noahs flood may not be global. It was more than likely a local flood. Would you like to explore this topic with me?

Because it's part of the tales of the religion I happen to believe in, so any evidence clearly debunking the historicity of this claim must be false."

What do you mean here?
Many Christians, particularly evangelicals, have ENORMOUS problems when Biblical authorship is researched with the same methods as any other historical text,

Well im a Pentecostal Christian, so close enough. What have you got - ie Biblical authorship researched with the same methods - that i need to be aware of?

and wildly object to the notion that, say, the synoptic gospels were not written by independent eyewitnesses.

Why were they not written by independant eyewitnesses? Who were they written by? Who do you know? Does this mean what Jesus said is false? What foes that say about Jesus?

Special pleading is basically the birthplace of fundamentalism.

Well a fundamentalist is a person who believes in the strict, literal interpretation of scripture in a religion. I believe in the strict, literal interpretation of scripture. So i must be what?

Are you suggesting that you do not believe in the literal interpretation of anything? There is no truth to anything? Why stop at the Bible. How much History are you willing to question?

Please indulge me. I know you like me to write long posts but i really want to understand were you are coming from. No tricks...no gotchas Cheers and thank you jane :)

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey hey :)

How so? What do you feel you have examined more than a believer?

Cheers

I said as a general rule.

Studies have been done, which demonstrate non believers tend to have more knowledge of religion, than the typical believer.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,615.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others

Lets go through them all one by one. Ill play devils advocate - a shame - you will be the pro side. We shall eplore together and come to a conclusion.

Lets look at animism first. Why is animism more a draw card for you than Jesus?

What is attractive about animism?

Cheers hey :)
I'd like at take a shot at this with a very simple answer.
Absolutely everything you find in Jesus I find in Nature and Creation.

I could also say:
Every Creature is a Word of God trying to speak of God.

My editorial of those statements is that God is not limited or bound up in a single person. God is WAY too big for that. Many find the Divine Light of God within the very core of ALL of existence stretching from the smallest atomic particle to the widest expanse of the Cosmos. And in that they see Soul.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
A person was talking about jesus with me recently, and during our conversation she admitted she's never actually read the bible. She's only only ever watched "the passion of christ". In fact I've met several people like that one of them even wanted to convert me. So my question is do you think its important for a Christian to have read the bible?

Not just read, but understand what it says. And you can't do that unless you've read the whole of, at least, the New Testament because some verses are understood only when read in context of the whole.

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Reading the Bible is very important, as that is how God speak to us (unless you are one of those lucky ones such as the thief who hung beside Jesus).

There are 2 kind of people on this earth, the real smart ones (may or may not be educated) that can get the meaning without much reading, and the ones that has to chew the books (Christian, Islam, Buddhism) through and try to make logical decisions.

I used to think all we need to do is know the message of the Bible, but the more I dig into it the more I realize it is important to constantly read the Bible to remind myself to stay close to God, as most of us are of the second kind.

Upvote 0