Do you think reading the bible is important?

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
A person was talking about jesus with me recently, and during our conversation she admitted she's never actually read the bible. She's only only ever watched "the passion of christ". In fact I've met several people like that one of them even wanted to convert me. So my question is do you think its important for a Christian to have read the bible?

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I wouldn't expect every Christian to have a complete and thorough understanding of it, but I hope they would have at least read it twice on their own, cover to cover.

Basing your faith (and eternal soul) on the events depicted in a 2 hour and 7 minute movie is pretty hilarious.

Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I wouldn't expect every Christian to have a complete and thorough understanding of it, but I hope they would have at least read it twice on their own, cover to cover.
That's basically my thoughts on it as well.
Basing your faith (and eternal soul) on the events depicted in a 2 hour and 7 minute movie is pretty hilarious.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
A comment I heard made by a theologian who can read several ancient languages said, "reading the Bible is not studying the Bible". Just reading alone many not necessarily reach an informed opinion either. However it's hard to pigeon hole everything into one little basket.

• Informative
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I was a Christian I did not find reading the Bible to be very important. Other than being forced to read a few chapters of the Bible a week by my parents, I rarely read it on account of my own free will.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
A person was talking about jesus with me recently, and during our conversation she admitted she's never actually read the bible. She's only only ever watched "the passion of christ". In fact I've met several people like that one of them even wanted to convert me. So my question is do you think its important for a Christian to have read the bible?
God honours those who give His word first place.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
When I was a Christian I did not find reading the Bible to be very important. Other than being forced to read a few chapters of the Bible a week by my parents, I rarely read it on account of my own free will.
So you're not a Christian now?

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
A comment I heard made by a theologian who can read several ancient languages said, "reading the Bible is not studying the Bible". Just reading alone many not necessarily reach an informed opinion either. However it's hard to pigeon hole everything into one little basket.
Reading your Bible is the start. As you read ask the Spirit to aid you in understanding the word. Then continue to meditate on what you have read and when appropriate speak out the word. As you hear yourself speak faith will come...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

A structured and consistent study of God's word will bring divine favour on any believers life.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Will bring you before the Throne of grace

Than again, reading the Bible too much has made some people lose their faith like Matt Dillahunty. He fell from grace and had to resort being on public access TV.

• Haha
Reactions: Carbon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Not reading the Bible enough was probably my downfall, lol..
It (not reading or not listening to Bible reading weekly at least (not tradition though) )
is likely one main reason for the downfall of billions of others also.
Yahweh Willing, with Prayer and with seeking to be subject to Yahweh's Sovereign Ruling (Kingdom) instead of self-centered or self -ish,
a certain number may be recovered, even if barely (as written, since the righteous living ones are barely saved, what is to become of the heathen ? ) )
Along with reading the seeking (willingly) is required (apparently) , or else the end result could simply be the religious leaders opposed to Yahweh instead of abiding in Him;
instead of serving Him in spirit and in truth. (as Jesus Himself Says Yahweh Seeks those who serve Him in spirit and in truth)

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Being ignorant of the Bible is being ignorant of a major component of Western Civilisation. Biblical ideas suffuse our literature and even popular culture. I don't think ignorance of the Bible is acceptable to any Western educated individual, but most especially to a practicing Christian. Even an Atheist, if he wants to properly understand our civilisation and literature, needs at least a working knowledge of it.

Upvote 0