Do you think any one denomination is right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

layne

ByKr ChYk
Sep 12, 2002
✟640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I'm not really interested in anything other than a non-denominational christian church, (I think.....)

I've heard bad things, or things that turn me off about Catholicism, Aglicans, United, etc.

I also don't understand what makes JW's like a cult, or mormons like a cult, not that I am trying to defend anyone.

Oh well. Not important. Some ways these different churches worship or teach are not for everyone, and don't really need to be criticized.

Upvote 0

Job_38

<font size="1"> In perfect orbit they have circled
Jul 24, 2002
✟2,013.00
found this definition:a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; <I>also</I> <B>:</B> its body of adherents
&nbsp;<B>:</B> great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); <I>especially</I> <B>:</B> such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad <B>b</B> <B>:</B> a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Well, I'll tell you what... I'm tired of trying to figure out which denomination I belong to. Presbyterians are the closest to my theology, but I find it difficult to accept infant baptism. Reformed Baptist would be good, if it wasn't for the intense contempt they, in general, have for Catholics. I'm about fed up trying to decide. I'm starving spiritually, especially not having a group of constant Christian brothers and sisters to fellowship with. I don't know where to go to church, and that's just plain ole sad. Hmph... :sigh:

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Athlon4all
No, Denominations are man's divisions, and neither is right. I would seek the holy spirits will in this decision, but it much preach the word of God as it is.

How do you know what the Holy Spirit's will is? John Calvin said that the idea that the Earth orbits around the Sun went against Scripture and the Holy Spirit.

And what is the "word of God as it is"? Can you lose salvation? Is the Eucharist the literal Body and Blood of Christ? Are Christians predestined? Which interpretation of the Scriptures is correct? And please don't tell me that interpretations are "man's divisions". Interpretation always occurs when a text is read and studied. So, which theology is the most correct?

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We are not called to attend church. But we should attend church. We are called to serve God, to make disciples, to grow them into committed followers of Christ so they may also serve God, make disciples and grow them into committed followers of Christ (it's just keeps repeating). Paul said it this way: Let us not forsake gathering together as has become the habit of some but let us spur one another on to good works. (paraphrased, too lazy to look it up).

Seek God's will for your life, including a fellowship that requires you to have a servant heart and a strong understanding of why it is we are called Christians. The cross is your place of reference. Jesus (God the Son) died on a cross so that all who will believe will be saved.
Avoid all people and places that deny the Divinity of Jesus.

My advise to anyone seeking the will of God is: Set a time every day to alone with God. Clear your mind (not as easy as you might think) Pray for wisdom - Read scripture - Be still. This whole process can be 15 minutes, it can be an hour, it's not about length, it;s about depth.
I suggest the Gospel of John. I believe you will hear from God before you finish it. Jesus only wants us to come to Him in truth, not perfect, but as we are. This is my personal method and I share it only as a suggestion, there are plenty of methods.

Find a place to serve that you feel "God has sent me here", it will make attending a joy.

Blessings

Upvote 0
It is important to pray and see where God wants you to go and where you can be ministered to as well as minister to others.&nbsp; Be careful not to look at what a church can do for you but also what you can do for the church.&nbsp; It isn't wrong to go to different churches and allow God to direct you through that.&nbsp; Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons aren't an option if you want to grow in the Lord.&nbsp; They are cults by definition and belief.&nbsp; (edited out by eldermike)Know God and His word and allow Him to guide you.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pdwblw,

I see you are new here. We have many RCC memebers, several moderaotrs and administrators. The purpose of this forum is unity of the Body of Christ. I am going to edit out your comments on the RCC and give you the benifit of the doubt. Please read the rules. You are welcome here and I pray that your time here will be both a blessing to you and to the forum.

Thank you for understanding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

layne

ByKr ChYk
Sep 12, 2002
✟640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
What makes JW's or mormons cultish though? I haven't found that they do anything differently, other than that they uphold morals a little more than most other churches, and that they don't do the communion thing everyday, and that they are more into evangalism....I'm not trying to defend them, but now that people have mentioned cult, I would like to know what exactly do they do that makes them a cult? And who are we to say that we are right and they are wrong? We all believe in the same God, don't we? And don't we also study from the same (or almost the same) bible? So, what is the biblical proof then to back up what people think about them?

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lane,

If you do not believe that Jesus is God the Son (part of the Trinity) then you can't post in this forum or any Christian Only forum. You must post only in forums that allow non-Christians.

certain cults and sects that may consider themselves "Christian", the definition of a "Christian" for the purposes of these forums will be according to the contents of the Nicene Creed which summarizes the main doctrines of Evangelical Protestant & Catholic Christianity as listed below:

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, light from light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary
and became truly human.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father [and the Son],
who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.
We believe in one holy [universal] and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Upvote 0

layne

ByKr ChYk
Sep 12, 2002
✟640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Ok, then maybe I misunderstand the trinity. Doesn't it mean that God, the Holy Spirit, and Jesus, are all one in the same? But according to what you just&nbsp;stated there, the trinity is......what? I am sick today. Could you please clarify this for me? Maybe I do believe this and have misunderstood the concept this entire time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Layne,

Some will tell you that the Trinity doctrine is man made. Run like a rabbit from them. If we deny the Divinity of Jesus we deny Jesus. It's that important, it's eternally important.

Layne, are you saved? Do you know that you are saved?

Upvote 0

layne

ByKr ChYk
Sep 12, 2002
✟640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
<DIV>
Originally posted by eldermike
Layne,

Some will tell you that the Trinity doctrine is man made. Run like a rabbit from them. If we deny the Divinity of Jesus we deny Jesus. It's that important, it's eternally important.

Layne, are you saved? Do you know that you are saved?
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Trinity doctrine...there is a doctrine for this? What do you mean by doctrine? If it isn't manmade, then what is the biblical evidence for this? I haven't been told by anyone anything about the trinity, other than what it means, but I decided from reading the bible on my own that I don't see how Jesus and God are one in the same, when there are many scriptures talking about how they are Father and son. No one has explained what it is that makes them all one in&nbsp;the same. Does this mean one spiritual body, like how we are one human body? Or one body in church? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Do you mean baptized? If not then I am not sure what you mean.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Perhaps you could PM me to explain this to me in greater detail, if you don't mind. </DIV>

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.