Do you think any one denomination is right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

layne

ByKr ChYk
Sep 12, 2002
✟640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
<DIV>I want to start going to attending&nbsp; church... :help: </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Is there any scriptural advice on which church to join? Do you think God will send a sure fire sign if I pray? :pray:&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>(Every time I have prayed for help in this, a Jehovah's Witness has come up and offered me literature while I've been waiting for the bus, and it's always been on&nbsp;a day when I've been late or something. I wonder if those were just coincidences, or signs from God? Or maybe it's just because&nbsp;they're always out there preaching?)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;:confused:&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm sure someone has a good scripture to point out? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks!</DIV>

kelco

Rev. Kelco
Feb 28, 2002
Mathias WV
Visit site
✟29,098.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Layne I'm really glad you have decided to go to church. :clap: But IMHO it's best to avoid Jehova's Witness meetings. It's really just a coincidence that they seem to be around when you are late. Hanging around bus stations and airports is one of the ways the use to "recruit" new members. Any church with sound bible based doctrine is a good choice. You might want to attend several churches and I'm sure that you will find one that you can call home.&nbsp;

As for bible verses

<DIR>Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.</DIR>
<DIR>&nbsp;
Col 1:19 For it was the good pleasure <I>of the Father</I> that in him should all the fulness dwell; Col 1:20 and through him to reconcile all things unto himself, having made peace through the blood of his cross; through him, <I>I say</I>, whether things upon the earth, or things in the heavens. Col 1:21 And you, being in time past alienated and enemies in your mind in your evil works, Col 1:22 yet now hath he reconciled in the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and without blemish and unreproveable before him: Col 1:23 if so be that ye continue in the faith, grounded and stedfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel which ye heard, which was preached in all creation under heaven; whereof I Paul was made a minister. Col 1:24 Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and fill up on my part that which is lacking of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the <B>church</B>; Col 1:25 whereof I was made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which was given me to you-ward, to fulfil the word of God, Col 1:26 <I>even</I> the mystery which hath been hid for ages and generations: but now hath it been manifested to his saints, Col 1:27 to whom God was pleased to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Col 1:28 whom we proclaim, admonishing every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ; Col 1:29 whereunto I labor also, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

May God bless you and guide you in you search for a church to attend.&nbsp; Kelly&nbsp;

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

&nbsp;</DIR>

Upvote 0

Bondservant

Sep 10, 2002
✟7,791.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
layne,

kelco is correct - I would avoid the JW

kelco is also correct about visiting several churches.

I am a Roman Catholic - i was born into the church, but during my adult life I left the church because I was conviced that it was in grave error and sin.

I studied and studied scripture and early christian writings and I fond myself being drawn back to the Catholic Church. I ask that you at least consider going to an Inquiry meeting at a local Catholic church.

The Inquiry meeting is a "no obligation" opportunity to ask questions and get answers about the Catholic walk.

I am not going to stand here and say that salvation is only found in the Catholic chruch - because I feel that would be puting Christ in a box - His love and mercy are so much beyond our own - we could not possibly understand.

The key is that you find a community of believers that aid you in your walk with Christ. Find one that is biblicaly sound and dedicated to our one and only mediator and advocate Jesus Christ.

I will pray for you this night that the Lord will lead you to where He wants you to be.

God Bless you on the journey

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
EDIT:

While I will tell you no single denomination is "the right" denomination, I will tell you that most churchs today would be hard pressed if tested against biblical christianity. I would strongly suggest that you become very familiar with your Bible, and check out a few reformed bapatist churches.

avoid the catholic church, as it is not a christian church, but one that preaches "another" gospel as Paul warns about in his epistles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I would avoid any church that calls itself the "one true church" ie all others are wrong.

I would advise you to attend a church where the Bible is the sole authority. and where the full Gospel is preached -- ie Jesus saves, heals, prospers and protects. I wld also rec. a church which believes in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

above all, Jesus must be the CENTRE of attention. Christ and Christ crucified MUST BE the focus.

that's my opinion. :)

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with the opinion just given. :)

I would seriously avoid any church or denomination that relies on an extra-Biblical source for guidance/interpretation. Example: it's either the JW's or the Mormons, I forgot which, that have a magazine called "The Watchtower" ...

And, of course, I'd suggest a very Bible-preaching church.... preferably one with longer than 10 minute sermonettes ;) hehe

(that idea is foreign to me, we have hour long sermons :))

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Andrew
I would avoid any church that calls itself the "one true church" ie all others are wrong.

I would advise you to attend a church where the Bible is the sole authority. and where the full Gospel is preached -- ie Jesus saves, heals, prospers and protects. I wld also rec. a church which believes in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

above all, Jesus must be the CENTRE of attention. Christ and Christ crucified MUST BE the focus.

that's my opinion. :)

A poorly veiled reference to the Catholic Church.&nbsp; Oh Andrew, Christ IS our center and focus.

Upvote 0

MizDoulos

<font color=6c2dc7><b>Justified by grace through f
Jan 1, 2002
The "Left Coast" of the USA
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please Note:

Let's not make accusations against each other. Use your e-mail or private message option in the profile page if you have an issue with another member. I'm sure you can understand that if this continues, the discussion may deteriorate into personal arguments. If this attitude continues, the thread will be locked.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Upvote 0
The wierd thing about the JW's is that they require you to have a Bible "study partner" in order to read scriptures, and you must also have supplimental reading (Perhaps the "Pearl of Great Price"?) that supports their belief system. They found that if you do not have those things, people will "revert to Christianity."

I wonder why.

I grew up in a Presbyterian church. Hey, you want to hear a Presbyterian joke? Okay, what do you get when you cross a Jehovah's Witness with a Presbyterian?

A guy who knocks on your door and then doesn't say anything.

<Badum bum.>

That was the big joke at their last Missionary Conferance, so I hear. Currently I attend (perhaps the world's only) Pentecostal Presbyterian church. Now there's a good time. The pastor is this former Muslim from Africa who was converted by the power of the Holy Spirit. He's doing missionary work here in the U.S. now. It's intimidating, because his presbyterian congregation is DEAD silent, and he gets so into things that they had to buy him a fan. He's always asking for "Amen's" and for praise.

I'm hoping to drag some guys from college down there. He's a fantastic preacher.

Whew. Sorry. Just sharing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by s0uljah
A poorly veiled reference to the Catholic Church.&nbsp; Oh Andrew, Christ IS our center and focus.

I didn't get that from Andrew's post. :scratch:

Here is what I got out of it. (And Andrew, if I'm wrong, please correct me.)

---------------------------------------------------

There are plenty of divisive churches in the world who claim that they are the only true church. Some go as far as claiming that all other denominations are going to hell. A lot of herretical groups teach this. Some of these churches place more emphasis on their church than on Christ.

---------------------------------------------------

And even though there may have been some disagreements between Andrew and some Catholic members in the past, this is another thread, this another topic, and we are addressing a another member, who is sincerely asking some legitimate questions. This is not the time nor the place to be reading things into another member's post, out of a knee-jerk, defensive reaction.

layne,

Seek Him with sincerity in your heart. Seek guidance from the Holy Spirit. God will lead you to the right fellowship with other Christians. If you humble yourself before Him, He will not let you go astray. :)

John

Upvote 0

Job_38

<font size="1"> In perfect orbit they have circled
Jul 24, 2002
✟2,013.00
Originally posted by Andrew
the JWs also have their own "Bible" called the Pearl of Great Price, which sort of replaces the Bible as we know.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;Just want to clear up some misinformation,

Andrew, it is the Mormons who use the Pearl of Great Price, they also use the Bible(KJV, as long as its translated correctly, i.e. their way) and the Doctrines and Covenants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

layne

ByKr ChYk
Sep 12, 2002
✟640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
<DIV>I've been to maybe 4 different churches this past year. One was a christian church. One was called "church of the Nazarene", the other was a catholic church, then there was the JW meeting I went to. I found that the christian one and the Nazarene one didn't give a scriptural basis for their talks. The Catholic priest had a bad accent and I couldn't make out a word he was saying. :eek: </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I know that I don't want to go somewhere with a bread and wine service every time I go, or one with a rock band. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Could someone give me a list of the different churches, ie, Anglican, United..&nbsp; and what the atmospheres are like, ie, lots of people saying hallelujah during the songs, or lots of yelling and amens...</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>There are hundreds of churches in Calgary, and I don't know where to begin. :sigh: I've been so far to just the ones in my neighborhood.</DIV>

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Layne:

I'm sorry you didn't understand the priest at the Catholic Church you attended. Try another parish.

If Bible is what you want, you will have plenty at a Catholic Church. Many of the prayers are straight from Scripture, and there are also Bible readings during the service. On Sundays, there are at least 3, plus one from the Psalms.

The Bread and Wine are central to every single Catholic service. The Mass was celebrated whenever the members of the Early Church gathered in Jesus's name.

Keep looking, keep studying, keep learning! The Holy Spirit will fill you with wisdom in whatever you do.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thanks The Bear, you are right.

Wasnt even thinking of the Catholic Church when I said that. There are also protestant churches who dont focus on Jesus or who think they are the only true church and the rest are wrong.

and oh, sorry abt the mix up betw JWs and Mormons.

the JWs have the Watch Tower (i think) and the mormons the Pearl of Great Price.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.