Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I pray it sometimes when I really don't know what to pray. It is the structure in which we were taught how to pray. Some say it is the only prayer. I won't argue anyones opinion. At the end of the day. It is our hearts speaking out to God. There are may different chapters that show prayer in the bible. Let alone the book of Psalms Prayers and songs.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you prayed the Lord's Prayer more than once in your life ? Why ?
I think the pronouns are noteworthy also. It seems this could also be a corporate prayer. I know we prayed it in unison when I went to the Episcopalian Church.

Matthew 6:9-15 KJV
9. After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11. Give us this day our daily bread.
12. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Upvote 0

Cade_One

Jan 5, 2023
Ohio
✟8,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, I Pray the Lord's Prayer corporally and privately. Jesus taught it to the apostles and the Church has preserved it. A lot of what we do as Catholic Christians is because Christ did it by example (Baptism, Eucharist, Prayer, Reading Scripture, Fasting, etc.)

Reactions: Hvizsgyak
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Multiple times a day usually as it feels it's a way to help build in faith and trust in the LORD, by praying in a way acknowledging he knows what we need and provides it all for us..
Sadly my faith is very fragile as I'm a 'baby Christian' so I get tossed to and fro more often than I'd like to admit:/
Your faith will skyrocket if you simply side with the Word of God.

When the devil tells you that you are not saved, respond as Jesus did:
"It is written, whosoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." Rom 10:13

When the devil says God does not love you, respond:
"It is written, But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared," Titus 3:4 KJV

The word of God is the key to your faith. Just side with Him.
Most of the time when people's faith fails, it is because they either do not know the word of God, or they do not apply it towards themselves.
Praying for you that the Lord make His Word real to you in your life!

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Growing up Lutheran and now Orthodox, I pray it several times a day as part of my prayer routine. Luther's Small Catechism on the principle parts of Christianity such as the Ten Commandments, the Creed, and the Lord's Prayer is still instrumental in what these mean, even though I am Greek Orthodox. For example

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.​

What does this mean?

–Answer: We pray in this petition that our Father in heaven would not look upon our sins, nor deny such petitions on account of them; for we are worthy of none of the things for which we pray, neither have we deserved them; but that He would grant them all to us by grace; for we daily sin much, and indeed deserve nothing but punishment. So will we verily, on our part, also heartily forgive and also readily do good to those who sin against us.
I haven't attended a Lutheran church for over 30 years,(I am Pentecostal) but usually recite the Lord's Prayer at least once a day, many times as a prelude to my own petitions.
I also occasionally sing the Gloria Patri ("Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost / As it was in the beginning/ is now and ever shall be/ world without end / Amen") and, "Create in Me..." which the Lutheran service always ended on.

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I Pray the Lord's Prayer corporally and privately.
I was listening to J. Vernon McGee (Thru The Bible) on the radio, a week or so ago. He was in a section of the Gospels with The Lord's Prayer. He commented that he believed it should be for private prayer, and not corporate prayer. I was on my way to work, so I didn't hear his reason why he felt that way. I have his 5 volume set, so I will need to look up his reasoning for that.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure .... it's a wonderful prayer .... have prayed it several times .... certainly not the only prayer to pray .... nothing wrong with praying it.

Upvote 0

Chaleb

Mar 10, 2023
Florida
✟4,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know for certain that Paul prayed the Lord's prayer, but he did say many times to be in constant prayer:

Prayer is not a mantra or a rote set of sentences that you say 1000 times that you have done so many times that your mind is not even thinking about it.
As in that case you are just getting to the last words so that you can stop, and go get a cookie and some cake.

Real Prayer is conversation with God from your heart.
Prayer is you and The Father having a 2-way interaction...
Prayer is you giving God sincere thanks for the Cross of Christ, for the blood of Jesus, that is the only reason God is your Father, and in this thankful state of mind and heart you then tell God all about it.. All about what is going on with you.......all about your needs..... all about your hopes and dreams.

Prayer should follow a bit of worship and praise then requests.

Reader, do you know why Jesus has ears?
So that God can hear you when you pray.
He does.

You dont know how to pray? Feel not so comfortable with it.?

Try it like this., early am...... and on your knees is best....if possible.

"Good morning Father, Lord Jesus, and Holy Spirit, you are welcome here."....

It was Mother Teresa who taught me to start my daily prayer with "Good morning, you are welcome here"" = to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Try it for yourself, Saint.

Here is how i pray.....see if you can use it as an idea for yourself.

"""Father God you are so good, you are so Holy..... you name is Holy. You are all rightness, and goodness and love and beauty.
You are the Father of creation, the Father of Grace, the Father of Love the Father of the Bread come down from heaven, and Father God i thank you for Jesus.....for the bless'd Savior, the King of Glory, the Living Hope.

Thank you sweet Bread of Heaven. Thank you for your Blood and your Cross. There is power in your blood, there is healing in your blood.
Thank you Lord for coming into this evil world to rescue us, to save us, to give us your Salvation.. Jesus, yours is the sweetest name there ever was and Yeshua yours is the sweetest name that ever will be. You are beautiful, you are King, and you are life, and every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that you are Lord, you are Lord, you are Lord of all.

Sweet Bread of Heaven, your name is above every name. And Lord you are God's Grace, you are God's forgiveness, You are God's Redemption and Redeemer and Eternal life. You are the Love of God, the Grace of God and the Gift of God. You alone are my salvation, you alone are my eternal life, and Lord i thank you i thank you i thank you for being my King, my Savior, my hope and my peace..""""

Try it kinda like that Saint.

God bless you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Have I? Of course. Every Sunday with the rest of the congregation as part of the Divine Service, and also regularly as part of my own prayer life.

Why? Because it's the Lord's Prayer. The Church has been praying this prayer since the beginning, it's the archetypal prayer that the Lord Jesus Christ Himself gave us.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think when you talk to God, you should talk to God, rather than just doing a recital. Jesus prayed different things to the Father, rather than repeating the same prayer over and over, or sticking to a strict formula. Like his prayer in the garden for example.

That said, I do enjoy quoting scripture when communing with my Father.

The thing is, however, we aren't doing a recital. These traditional prayers mean something. When I pray the Lord's Prayer or the Gloria Patri it's part of my regular prayer life. I try to practice prayer throughout the day, and sometimes that just means saying, "Lord Jesus have mercy on me" sometimes that means I pray the Gloria Patri, the Lord's Prayer, or confess the Apostles' Creed, along with bringing my own burdens, worries, fears, an anxieties.

It's never a recital. It's prayer. Sometimes my prayers are silence, remembering Paul's words that the Spirit Himself intercedes for us in groanings too deep for words.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I pray it frequently. I will repeat it when I am going to sleep, it helps still my mind. I will also pray it in church and at various times otherwise. I also pray it after and before communion.

Often when we repeat something many times it becomes a part of us, a "muscle memory" as it were, it becomes a thing that we hold deeply to and can recite or pray in times of duress or when no other words come to us.

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The thing is, however, we aren't doing a recital. These traditional prayers mean something. When I pray the Lord's Prayer or the Gloria Patri it's part of my regular prayer life. I try to practice prayer throughout the day, and sometimes that just means saying, "Lord Jesus have mercy on me" sometimes that means I pray the Gloria Patri, the Lord's Prayer, or confess the Apostles' Creed, along with bringing my own burdens, worries, fears, an anxieties.

It's never a recital. It's prayer. Sometimes my prayers are silence, remembering Paul's words that the Spirit Himself intercedes for us in groanings too deep for words.

-CryptoLutheran
Who's we? I had to scroll up to see if this thread was denomonation specific. Are you sure there aren't some out there who are into reciting prayers?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Who's we? I had to scroll up to see if this thread was denomonation specific. Are you sure there aren't some out there who are into reciting prayers?

By "we" I meant Christians who use traditional forms of prayer, like the Lord's Prayer, so Anglicans, Lutherans, Catholics, Orthodox, et al.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Consider the possibility that the Lords prayer was mean for the disciples before the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. Some of the things prayed for have since been provided for in the atonement.
For instance the will of God has been done on earth when Jesus went to the cross. It is finished.
All our needs have been provided for in the atonement, including our daily bread. Just give thanks for the provision.
We have been provided with a way to overcome temptation and an escape. (1 Corn 10:13)
We have been delivered from evil by Christ overcoming the devil and the devil is a defeated foe.
What do you think?

Upvote 0

BurningBush84

Feb 27, 2023
Minnesota
✟35,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Consider the possibility that the Lords prayer was mean for the disciples before the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. Some of the things prayed for have since been provided for in the atonement.
For instance the will of God has been done on earth when Jesus went to the cross. It is finished.
All our needs have been provided for in the atonement, including our daily bread. Just give thanks for the provision.
We have been provided with a way to overcome temptation and an escape. (1 Corn 10:13)
We have been delivered from evil by Christ overcoming the devil and the devil is a defeated foe.
What do you think?

Sounds like you don't think Christians should be praying the Lord's Prayer.

Upvote 0