Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Have you prayed the Lord's Prayer more than once in your life ? Why ?
When I was a RC I did about 50 million times for absolution. At the time I was not aware that I was already absolved, via Christ.

I do not anymore … my prayers are talking to God… not reputation. There is no magical prayer that triggers Gods response…. except prayer from your heart.

Jesus was giving us an example of a few things in Mat 6 …..prayer, alms, fasting …and He was specific about empty phrases Mat 6:6. When we pray.

Additionally In the Epistles written to the Church of God … God says he will meet our needs and we all need daily bread. And forgiving our trespasses as we forgive others… changed a bit in epistles ..we forgive others because God Eph 4:32, Col 3:13 forgave us.

It’s a good idea to forgive others …not that they care but unforgiveness is very unhealthy for you.

Reactions: BurningBush84
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, because...
  • It is part of the worship liturgy of my church
  • It is part of the daily office of my church (e.g. Morning Prayer, etc.)
  • it is a prayer that Christ gave us.
  • It covers a breadth of need in one simple prayer...praise, submission, supplication for daily needs, peaceful relations with others, forgiveness, and turning away from sin.
  • It is a part of Christian tradition, a prayer I pray in common with long-departed Christians who prayed it for over 2,000 year before me and will be praying it for more than 2,000 years after.
  • I like saying it

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The Lord's prayer has always been very special to me. As a child I prayed it before sleep when I was worried. I wasn't a Christian back then, but it had a calming effect on me. Nowadays I pray it in church as part of the sermon, and I pray it when I run out of words. I also like to finnish my prayers with the Lord's prayer. It's like if I missed something, it includes everything. I sometimes pray it silently in my head when I can't go to sleep. It usually puts me to sleep rather quickly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I pray the Lord's prayer twice a day. Once when I wake up and once before I go to sleep. And I pray it because Jesus said to.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It covers a breadth of need in one simple prayer...praise, submission, supplication for daily needs, peaceful relations with others, forgiveness, and turning away from sin.
Exactly. It covers everything Jesus asked of us to do while alive and tells us of His Gospel of the Kingdom.

We start off by praising God and recognizing His authority. We recognize Jesus' gospel of the Kingdom and that as is our hope, God will come to take away governance of man from man and govern Himself. Good news. In the meantime we ask He continues to care for us and we ask that our debts to Him for all He does will be at no cost and that we will do the same for our debtors. He shares as should we. We ask for strength to avoid temptations or if it is His will, not to be challenged by them and we ask to be delivered from the evil within us upon His return or upon our resurrection. We sometimes reinforce saying that His is the Kingdom, power and glory over all for eternity.

It is a basic prayer that covers a lot of territory, just as his two commandments covers the Ten.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think when you talk to God, you should talk to God, rather than just doing a recital. Jesus prayed different things to the Father, rather than repeating the same prayer over and over, or sticking to a strict formula. Like his prayer in the garden for example.

That said, I do enjoy quoting scripture when communing with my Father.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟69,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Growing up Lutheran and now Orthodox, I pray it several times a day as part of my prayer routine. Luther's Small Catechism on the principle parts of Christianity such as the Ten Commandments, the Creed, and the Lord's Prayer is still instrumental in what these mean, even though I am Greek Orthodox. For example

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.​

What does this mean?

–Answer: We pray in this petition that our Father in heaven would not look upon our sins, nor deny such petitions on account of them; for we are worthy of none of the things for which we pray, neither have we deserved them; but that He would grant them all to us by grace; for we daily sin much, and indeed deserve nothing but punishment. So will we verily, on our part, also heartily forgive and also readily do good to those who sin against us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BurningBush84

Feb 27, 2023
Minnesota
✟35,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I pray the Lord's prayer twice a day. Once when I wake up and once before I go to sleep. And I pray it because Jesus said to.

Do you believe the apostle Paul prayed the Lord's Prayer often when he was alone ??

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you believe the apostle Paul prayed the Lord's Prayer often when he was alone ??

I don't know for certain that Paul prayed the Lord's prayer, but he did say many times to be in constant prayer:

Rom 12:12 rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;

1Th 5:16 Rejoice always,

1Th 5:17 pray without ceasing,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the best reason is the phrase "give us THIS day our daily bread..."
Thank you.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Multiple times a day usually as it feels it's a way to help build in faith and trust in the LORD, by praying in a way acknowledging he knows what we need and provides it all for us..
Sadly my faith is very fragile as I'm a 'baby Christian' so I get tossed to and fro more often than I'd like to admit:/

Reactions: Hvizsgyak
Upvote 0