Do you pray the Lord's Prayer? Why?

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That would be logical considering both addressed the coming Kingdom.
I still pray the prayer... but in my heart and mind, I know most of it is already fulfilled. So the trick is do not ask with a heart of unbelief, thinking these things are still up in the air. He did it. It is finished.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,393.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
He did it. It is finished.
Yes He did His part and opened the door to the Kingdom. All will be resurrected as a result, but definitely not all will remain so and gain entrance. Those unwilling to change from the self serving ways of this world will find no home there.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes He did His part and opened the door to the Kingdom. All will be resurrected as a result, but definitely not all will remain so and gain entrance. Those unwilling to change from the self serving ways of this world will find no home there.
Indeed. The only enemy left is death which means all other enemies are defeated. Satan - defeated. Sin - defeated. The world - defeated. Sickness - defeated. Demonic oppression - defeated. Only death remains. It is the last.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,393.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
which means all other enemies are defeated. Satan - defeated. Sin - defeated. The word - defeated. Sickness - defeated. Demonic oppression - defeated.
Yes in the Kingdom, but not yet here in the now. Their time is not yet done. They just got the eviction notice.

Upvote 0

IoanC

Oct 9, 2022
Ploiesti, Prahova
Visit site
✟29,183.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I think when you talk to God, you should talk to God, rather than just doing a recital. Jesus prayed different things to the Father, rather than repeating the same prayer over and over, or sticking to a strict formula. Like his prayer in the garden for example.

That said, I do enjoy quoting scripture when communing with my Father.
I think the Lord's Prayer is an example of how to pray rather than what you say in prayer. The prayer is addressed directly to The Father who, at this point, is in direct, intimate and personal communion with us. God is no longer a distant force, but our own Father(family), the work of Christ having accomplished this.

Upvote 0

revybub

Just here to grow, learn, give council, love God
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2020
Michigan
✟198,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is Matthew 6:9 a command Christians of today should obey???
They asked how to pray. He didn't command them to pray that way. He taught them how to pray. More of a structure to praying. The bible is filled with many different prayers.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So if a priest tells someone to say X amount of Our Fathers that's not reciting?

For Catholics that would be part of doing penance, and while I disagree with the doing of penance as part of Confession and Absolution, no I don't believe that would be merely reciting. The Faithful is praying, not mere putting on a performance.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is Matthew 6:9 a command Christians of today should obey ?
I don't think it is a command, but rather a very good guideline on how to pray to the Father. Further, it is also a foundation of a good prayer life and a continuation of the ancient hours or prayer that the Jewish people kept and the Christians have continued. It is a prayer that we would do well to say three times a day as is taught.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe the Lord’s Prayer is also an intercessory prayer in that the petitions refer to “us” & “our”. This, I believe, lines up with what St. Paul says to pray for all people in 1 Timothy 2:1-6. I pray the Jesus Prayer of Orthodox tradition in the singular: “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Next, I pray the Jesus Prayer as an intercession by saying, “have mercy on us.”Usually I pray the Lord’s commandments ( Matthew 7:12, Matthew 22:36-40), & the Lord of the harvest ( Matthew 9:36-38). This is to try to prepare myself properly to finally pray the Lord’s Prayer ( Matthew 6:9-14). I also usually pray the first 2 prayers of the 3 times daily Orthodox triple prayer that concludes with the Lord’s Prayer.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,049,779.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you prayed the Lord's Prayer more than once in your life ? Why ?
Have prayed it in church every Sunday for years - sometimes twice if I went to more than one service.
Some say we should pray it every day.

Upvote 0