The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No. And anyone that God paired me with, I assume, would be very much compatible or else it wasn't God that paired me with her.

Not sure of how someone gets paired with someone by God that they don't like or aren't compatible with. Are you talking about arranged marriages? Some sort of church process?

I have a greater fear of being with someone that I don't truly love and respect just so I won't be bored and lonely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
And do you also fear that God will pair you with some one you don't like or are not compatible with??

very interesting question!
If I look at things analytically, then yes, there is a much greater possibility that I will remain single by default
because I am seen as handicapped, and thus not prime pickings on today's marriage market.

(post script: and having seen that the men who are out there looking are passing me by, the growing and very real fear is that there's no one left to be paired with. all I'm finding is more and more closed doors every single day.
Even with ratings of 88% match, the doors are still closed on me.)

another reason why I may well end up unmarried is that part of the 'problem' is that I have a tenderized heart, which is not the approved thing in today's hard hearted post-Christian world.

But no, I don't "fear" that God would pair me with someone that I didn't like or was not compatible with.

Since that ^^^already happened in the OT and we know the reason why it happened, such a thing is far more likely to be a case of human disregard of God's will rather than a deliberate pairing by God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,643.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I don't necessarily fear being single forever as I think I've come to terms with my singleness and wouldn't regard my life as a failure if I never get married, although I would very definitely prefer not to remain single. As for God pairing me with someone I didn't like, I'm not sure how that would happen. I'm not going to pursue a relationship with someone I don't like, so I wouldn't end up paired with them.

Upvote 0

Eljai

Aug 27, 2016
Australia
✟9,461.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, I don't fear God doing that to me. If He paired me up it would be the right person.

I do believe however, that I am not very good at picking the right partner - if I knew then what I know now!!
I always thought I had so much to give, but just couldn't seem to find anyone who noticed that!

I think I will be single for ever. I'm good at being single, I like it mostly, but that could be because I have to like it. I can't see it changing anytime soon. Where I live, my standards, availability, are all against me.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I do not believe that anyone God pairs me with will be incompatible...I think that flies in the nature of God.

I don't fear being alone but the idea kind of makes me sad. I probably more tend to fear that I will make a wrong decision out of a place of weakness and have to live with it for the rest of my life. However, that doesn't appear to even be a potential problem right now.....

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I plan to be single the rest of my life, ie not get married. Don't want the government involved in my relationships. I don't really see God pairing anyone with someone they aren't compatible with.
I don't have to worry about being alone as I have so many relationships of all kinds that there are always things to do and people to do them with.

Upvote 0

Link Hayashi

Nov 4, 2016
TX
✟23,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to. I used to be so scared of being alone for the rest of my days. I often wondered, with my sister now living her own life in another state, if my parents died tomorrow, what would happen to me?

I've never had dashing looks or a great body, at least that's the lie Satan always told me. But the Lord knows the desires of your heart, and if you ask him sincerely, you know he'll give him/her to you.

I still haven't met my wife to be (or ever been on a date for that matter) but I look forward to when I do. I'm sure that time is coming soon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have felt single in every relationship I've been in ... so .. I do not fear being actually single.. I am starting to accept that I always have been and there is a chance that no matter who I'm with the likelihood that the feeling will leave me is small.. so I'm bracing myself to deal with being in a relationship but never feeling fulfilled or being alone and up til now it's just easier to not be alone. :-/ Thinking I might need to try it out for a while though.. I've technically not done it before because I've had children that kept me company but I've never done a full on solitude for an extended period of time thingy.. It might be worth it.. just not willing to give up my love life right now

Upvote 0

Anonymous316

Apr 24, 2017
Tennessee
✟7,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And do you also fear that God will pair you with some one you don't like or are not compatible with??
No, I don't think I will be paired with someone I'm not compatible with if he's not "the one". I do fear being single forever though. If my friends fear this, I am always first to say that God has someone specially made for them. I don't believe it for myself, I guess. I've never been kissed or had a serious boyfriend and I'm almost twenty, so it makes it hard to think that I have someone out there

Upvote 0

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't fear it, I accept it. The longer I go, the more situated and comfortable I become with it and the more relationships start to turn me off. It's a fight because part of me hates being alone all the time (since I'm self employed and work alone and drive long distances to jobs) and the other part of me goes "Thank God I come home to a peaceful, empty house with no one to worry about, not wondering if someone is running around on me, is who she says she is, ect. I can sleep when I want, eat what I want, dress how I want, ect... it gets lonely but I have family that live nearby and friends tat cure that temporarily quite often

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A question for those that feel they might marry someone who causes them a lot of stress in their home.
Do you not think there the dating process would not find this out?
Is there a middle ground where one could have a relationship but still have your own place to distress?
Is there a better question I should be asking?

Reactions: Artanis
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
A question for those that feel they might marry someone who causes them a lot of stress in their home.
Do you not think there the dating process would not find this out?
Is there a middle ground where one could have a relationship but still have your own place to distress?
Is there a better question I should be asking?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
from experience I can tell you the answer is no.
unless you date and live in the same town and see each other daily for a year or more, the answer is probably no.
The people who cause the stress are either;
1. unaware of what they do
2. Feel that they have the right of things, and/or
3. have been validated in their thinking by someone they admire.

it usually runs in families. so the families cover it up and put on their best behavior in public
hoping that word doesn't get out before a wedding.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I've meet enough people that I now sense pretty quickly how much energy they put out and require of me to give back to them.
I agree one has to spend long enough with a person so they show how they are inside.
Its a shame that Christians how should be the healthiest people in the world with the great salvation we have in Jesus would be hiding who they are inside.

• Winner
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't want to be alone, but singleness does not mean being alone.

I don't really believe in there being a "wrong" one or "right" one. I'm not waiting for God to select; I think my choice of relationship is my responsibility. Everyone has baggage.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I think the one thing we don't like to face is that we're running out of time
and possible mates, and that there might not be enough time to find the right one.

After all, we aren't promised either happiness or fulfillment in this life.
only goodness and mercy are promised to us.

Upvote 0