California
✟738.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you ever ask God for a sign? I have asked him for a couple. I asked him for direction and some answers for some other things i'm going through. I know God does give signs if you ask for them. I know a few people who ask for a sign and get a response. Is there any situation your going through in which you are asking God for a sign? Career, school, romance, direction in life, church whatever. And has God ever given you a sign about something? Like what? Hopefully this isn't confusing.

Beautiful Fireball

Tomorrow is another day
Apr 30, 2006
✟30,245.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I have asked God for signs before and there have been a couple of times where I have received them. I may not have realized what they were at the time, but looking back I see them. Just because you ask for one does not mean you recieve them though, there have been many times that I have asked and never gotten a response.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't ask God for signs anymore. When I did, I was caught up in mind games with myself. I ask for guidance quite a bit, but the Word of God is the first place you should look for that. Signs are far from that because people can interpret them any which way, while the Bible gives you sober guidance.

Upvote 0

connectadot18

Sep 7, 2006
North Carolina
✟7,987.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I Have asked for a sign, I think he has probably given them to me but I can't always see it or understand it as a sign. I have even asked for a specific sign like the guy did in the bible about the ground being wet and the cloth being dry. But I'm not sure about it and well I think that God will give me a sign when he wants me to have one now, I guess. I don't know...:confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elle_For_Short

Feb 6, 2006
California
✟738.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I Have asked for a sign, I think he has probably given them to me but I can't always see it or understand it as a sign. I have even asked for a specific sign like the guy did in the bible about the ground being wet and the cloth being dry. But I'm not sure about it and well I think that God will give me a sign when he wants me to have one now, I guess. I don't know...:confused:
Thats the reason I asked about the whole sign thing, because of that story.

Upvote 0

plum

my thoughts are free
Nov 30, 2003
✟48,380.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
the famous story about asking G-d for a 'sign' is about Gideon, a man whom G-d called to be a Judge over Israel...

you can read the passage about him here in Judges 6.

I think our ways of asking for "signs" borders more on superstition, divining, and wishful thinking than anything else. Gideon heard a command directly from G-d and only then did he say "show me that this command is from you"... he didn't say "show me a sign about what you want me to do" because G-d had already made it crystal clear what He wanted... Gideon just had to have faith and respond. I don't think asking for broad, aimless signs is really the way to go.
Sometimes life is not spelled out as clearly as we'd like. But I think that at those times we grow in faith and use the Scriptures and seek for the Holy Spirit to guide our actions. Seeking G-d's will isn't a magic trick... it's a journey and it takes little decisions along the way.

A parable...
A son goes off to university and calls his father constantly. Of course he loves his father and wants to please him.
He asks "Father, which classes should I take? where should I live? Tell me what I should do in my life. I don't want to get it wrong! Tell me what to do!"
The father reassures his son, "I love you. I trust you to make this decision and I will support you in whatever you do because you are a righteous son and you want to do what's best."
The son begs and pleads. "No! Don't tell me to choose! Tell me what to choose. I need to know what you want for me!"
And the father has to tell him again, "Son, I love you! I want you to follow your passions and dreams. those are all such great ones. Nothing is wrong with them. I won't stand by and watch you make a dire mistake or sin... but I want you to know that you have the freedom to choose and I will help you and support you in the path you take. This is a time for you to grow and mature."

Reactions: emez
Upvote 0
C

christianmomma

Yes i have. Last year around this time we were going on our 6th week with no paycheck. hubby was working, but not getting paid (company was waiting on $$ from customers) I was soo upset and mad at God for having us go thru this yet again
Anyway, I was venting my frustration with God and I said "Please just get us enough money to get by Lord" (or something to that effect)
A few minutes later, the mail showed up. There was a piece of mail from a cable company that we had canceled a year or so before that day. In it was a refund check for $8 and some odd cents. I'm glad to know God has a sense of humor. (2 or 3 days later, hubby was given all 6 weeks worth of checks.)

Upvote 0

Silver-winged Flyer

I take the road less traveled
Jan 16, 2006
✟9,935.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I believe that God does give us signs sometimes. We need to ask Him to help us see them though.
I live by the closing window, opening door way of looking at a situation. If there's an opportunity and it won't hurt anybody and it doesn't go against what I believe then I believe its something God wants me to do. If something happens and I lose out on the opportunity then I believe its God's way of saying that its not what He wants me to do.
I know it sounds very vague but sometimes we don't get big neon signs pointing us in the right direction so we just have to go in faith and believe God will make things work out as and when He chooses.
Hope that helps in some way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kirley

Senior Veteran
Sep 30, 2004
Qld, Australia
Visit site
✟17,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't ask God for signs anymore. When I did, I was caught up in mind games with myself. I ask for guidance quite a bit, but the Word of God is the first place you should look for that. Signs are far from that because people can interpret them any which way, while the Bible gives you sober guidance.

i agree, last time wen i really needed it, it seemed every where i looked i would interpret it as a 'sign' and it didnt really direct me. instead made me more confused cuz i made signs for both sides of what i was trying to sort out...but i haf to agree other times wen i look back now i see signs for diff things that i'm glad i picked up on without realising it til now.

Upvote 0

Michael03

Dec 5, 2006
✟15,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have asked God for a sign before. I'm not sure how to know if he is giving you one or not.. it could be all in you head, or who knows he might. I've learned that he doesn't give immediate results all the time.

To me a sign from God would be more of a feeling. Not something like, say a book falling over or anything like that. I have had tremendous happy feelings before, when I would ask if things would be ok, or if this is the thing I should be doing.

I don't like asking for proof, because thats almost like trying to command him to do something for you or its like putting your faith down temporarily. It takes a lot of patients, and a lot of faith. Especially if you are almost totally blind, during the situation.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
i've asked Him for signs before, most of the time it was more of me wanting God to prove Himself and spell it out for me when i really knew what i should have been doing in the first place, so the Lord never gave in to giving me signs. I'm glad for that too, because otherwise i would've become completely dependant upon looking for signs rather than using my head and letting God lead me through His word. So once i realized how silly that was i gave it up.

since i gave up asking for signs i have only asked God for a sign once and that was when i started to become interested in my bf but then i was really confused and uncertain whether God wanted me to even leave myself open to things going any further than friendship or just accept that we were meant to be just friends and move on. And i really did want to follow His will in that area of my life, even if that meant not having my own way. but this time when i received confirmation i didn't want to read too much into it and worried that it might've been a coincidence so i probably asked for a sign and gotten confirmation 3 times before i decided that God must've been at work :D

Upvote 0

HeIsReal

Dec 4, 2006
✟7,654.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The day after i came to Christ, i asked him, "Just to increase my faith more Jesus, if you are willing, give me a sign" I then open my eyes and look straight forward in my room, and i see this picture that i never even saw in my room before! On the picture it said, "Forever Friend". And i tell you truly, i never saw that picture till that day! <3 Yes he does give sign's but the word says people that ask for signs are of a wicked generation. Signs as in his glory, showing something miraculous. But Jesus had mercy on me and let this one slip by for my own good.

Upvote 0