Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
Where are ya from? Totally curious
Scotland
Hopefully this doesnt happen when you preach a sermon.
Thank you :peace:
Yes "dang" is a curse word. The spirit is there even if the word is mispronounced.
I agree, though if I stub my toe, can I not even say 'ouch'?

People tend to grade their language, that is, talk each others language, so I don't sweat the occasional expletive where the person I'm speaking to swears like a sailor. Banter, however, has been needling me for some time. Then reading James 3:1-12, it really made an impact. Taming the tongue is for me about style of speech, not whether expletives are used, though at least one of those is definitely off-limits.

I don't completely buy into God or Jesus being expletives, so again while I'm mindful of how it would be received, I don't sweat the occasional use. For example, if I'm getting irritated and want to pray for strength, shouldn't I exactly let out "Jesus, give me strength"? As long as it's sincere. Insincerely using His name, *that* to me is taking His name in vain. And further, when people around me have said similar, I have been known to follow up with "that's right", or "I'd be praying to Him too", and I've just opened up an opportunity for witness. :sunglasses:

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Scotland

Thank you :peace:

I agree, though if I stub my toe, can I not even say 'ouch'?

People tend to grade their language, that is, talk each others language, so I don't sweat the occasional expletive where the person I'm speaking to swears like a sailor. Banter, however, has been needling me for some time. Then reading James 3:1-12, it really made an impact. Taming the tongue is for me about style of speech, not whether expletives are used, though at least one of those is definitely off-limits.

I don't completely buy into God or Jesus being expletives, so again while I'm mindful of how it would be received, I don't sweat the occasional use. For example, if I'm getting irritated and want to pray for strength, shouldn't I exactly let out "Jesus, give me strength"? As long as it's sincere. Insincerely using His name, *that* to me is taking His name in vain. And further, when people around me have said similar, I have been known to follow up with "that's right", or "I'd be praying to Him too", and I've just opened up an opportunity for witness. :sunglasses:

Well in a roundabout way Jesus did refer to people as dogs, not directly though, in talking to the Samaritan woman.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,432.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Less about the word, and more about what you're intending to say.
I think in some cases it's more of a stumbling block issue than anything.
Like if you were to be at a baseball game and say "that home run was freaking great!" okay you're emphasizing how exciting it was to see a good play. That's not a curse, but some brothers and sisters may feel it is so you shouldn't put a stumbling block in front of them.
But if you turn around to your brother or sister and say "You're so freaking dumb"
it's sin there, and it's not even the word it's what your heart was saying, no matter your word choice.

Good observation!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zoidar

Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,432.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In Sweden people go around and say the Swedish word for "the devil". It sounds awfully terrible to mention the evil one when something goes wrong. It's like the most common cuss here. It's very unfitting for a Christian to use that, I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I don't follow?

I misread something I thought you said about God or Jesus using expletives. and the closest thing I could think of was the way He talked to the Samaritan woman, she asked for help, He said it wouldn't be proper to give the children (of Israel)'s bread to the dogs, meaning her. So it was a little demeaning and round about an insult.
But He wasn't saying it directly. more along the lines of making a parable about the situation.
and of course we know how the story went and she displayed humility in the situation and Jesus helped her acknowledging her faith.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In Sweden people go around and say the Swedish word for "the devil". It sounds awfully terrible to mention the evil one when something goes wrong. It's like the most common cuss here. It's very unfitting for a Christian to use that, I think.

I saw a video of I think a Finnish man yelling at a bear in his yard, just shouting a word that I guess in Finn means "devil" at it, I found that kind of amusing in contrast to a Canadian video where basically same thing happened but the Canadian softly and politely told the bear to go away and thanked it (because that's the most Canadian way of doing it)

• Informative
Upvote 0

Uriah S

Stand ready in prayer
Supporter
Oct 9, 2019
Scotland
✟261,980.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
I misread something I thought you said ... the Samaritan woman, she asked for help...
I went looking at the Samaritan woman at the well. Ahhh yes, the Canaanite woman with the demon-possessed daughter. I remember reacting to that the first time I read it, it is quite strongly worded. Maybe dogs were referred to for their loyalty, but I doubt it. As we're, or at least I was on about taming the tongue, it's an appropriate passage to bring up.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zoidar

Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,432.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I went looking at the Samaritan woman at the well. Ahhh yes, the Canaanite woman with the demon-possessed daughter. I remember reacting to that the first time I read it, it is quite strongly worded. Maybe dogs were referred to for their loyalty, but I doubt it. As we're, or at least I was on about taming the tongue, it's an appropriate passage to bring up.

I heard a teaching about that. I don't fully remember, but it's not like Jesus is calling her a bad word. He is making the point that she is not a Jew, I think that is pretty much it. I have to check that up.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I heard a teaching about that. I don't fully remember, but it's not like Jesus is calling her a bad word. He is making the point that she is not a Jew, I think that is pretty much it. I have to check that up.

I see it as degrading, albeit not quite as bad as calling someone a pig, so it would be interesting for you to look it up and share with us. ..

• Agree
Reactions: Uriah S
Upvote 0

Uriah S

Stand ready in prayer
Supporter
Oct 9, 2019
Scotland
✟261,980.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
26 He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”
27 “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”
Matthew 15:26-27
Jesus also calls the people of Israel sheep, and now children. She runs with it.
It is, of course, possible that we have added a couple of layers of insult to these words over time.

I heard a teaching about that... I have to check that up.
Thanks for the reminder, I need to "do my research" about taming the tongue.

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
:aarh:"Dang"is a freaking curse word!!?
Is "freaking" also one!? :eek:

They are both examples of what are called “minced oaths.” I am not sure that I can agree with @pescador that it is actually swearing.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,432.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I see it as degrading, albeit not quite as bad as calling someone a pig, so it would be interesting for you to look it up and share with us. ..

I think this explains it well:

Why did Jesus call the Canaanite woman a dog? | GotQuestions.org

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it all boils down to what you believe. There are no bad or good words.. Only words that we decide will make us happy after hearing, and those that decide we will become angry after hearing.

If you have in our mind, that a word is a bad word......to you, it is a sin to say it in your mind or aloud. You should repent and stop using immediately. Also, if you know that your neighbor is offended by certain words, or they believe that one who knows God would not be using it....It would be wrong, as well, for you to use them in their presence... to avoid stumbling blocks.

All is lawful, but not expedient. And all things done, not in faith, is Sin.

If a word is bad in your mind...e.g. you would be upset hearing your child say them.... You are sinning when you speak or think them.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Never at people, except politicians on television. But yes, dang, and freak are substitutions for curse words, you know what you meant! Frick, too. I hear that on TV all the time, and those people think they're getting away with something, but it's the thought that counts.
I heard a line in a movie "If you're going to use the f-word, it's best to get some mileage out of it."
I don't know if it's wrong, other than to use the Lord's name in vain. And yeah, "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]" is cursing, too.

Upvote 0

Will Joseph

Jul 10, 2020
Bronx
✟25,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Are you using them to treat someone like a sex object rather than a sister in Christ?

When growing up, I watched a lot of inappropriate content that had a lot of cursing. I avoided cursing because it reminds me of inappropriate content. I thought my past was relating cursing to sex but some curse words, in my society, tend to refer to sexual body parts. And sexual body parts, even in scientific terms, are not really allowed or appropriate; so sexual body parts and cursing both fall into the same area of silence. They seem to be very related, and so I don't curse because they tend to signal sexual communication or recipients. It's very difficult for me to find someone who curses but doesn't steer a conversation into a sexual direction.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
When growing up, I watched a lot of inappropriate content that had a lot of cursing. I avoided cursing because it reminds me of inappropriate content. I thought my past was relating cursing to sex but some curse words, in my society, tend to refer to sexual body parts. And sexual body parts, even in scientific terms, are not really allowed or appropriate; so sexual body parts and cursing both fall into the same area of silence. They seem to be very related, and so I don't curse because they tend to signal sexual communication or recipients. It's very difficult for me to find someone who curses but doesn't steer a conversation into a sexual direction.

For me those kinds of words lose those meanings especially in the casual context I might use them, which disconnects those meanings from the word for me. They become just a way of emphasising something like just how hot it is outside well, it's (substitute a profane word here) hot, or something like that.
But because someone else, like you, may still connect it with a meaning that is more harmful, that's why I say it can be a stumbling block and I wouldn't use such words around you.

But when around other people who don't feel that way about the word.. using it in that context.. I don't feel conviction. The word itself has 0 power over me, because it.. doesn't really mean anything.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟125,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depends on what you mean by "curse."

Using holy names in vain? No.

Saying words like the "f" word? Yeah, sometimes depending on company. It's basically meaningless at this point so I only avoid it if it would offend someone I am with.

Hurling insults and uttering ill wishes against my enemies? No. I don't bless them as I should, but I actively avoid allowing myself to wish ill upon them or to engage in insult battles.

• Agree
Reactions: Jamdoc
Upvote 0