Supporter
Dec 6, 2012
Somewhere in Jersey
✟360,422.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Yes. It's a corruption of "frigging". Look it up, as it's not appropriate to explain it in a Christian forum.
The whole point of this thread. :congrat:

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Even when people say the familiar g..d...it, they are likely not wishing God to actually curse the object of their anger. It's actually more of an expletive than a curse. It is however using the name (title) of God in a vain way.

It's still probably the most accurate "curse" out of all of them
the rest of the "7 words" are for the most part vulgar terms for bodily functions, or terms for animals.
calling someone a dog is basically the same as calling them a female dog when it comes down to it
the exception being the F-bomb which is a term for striking or hitting someone I think when I looked up the etymology for that one, so I guess if you were using it in that way like shouting that at someone it is a "curse" you're saying "hit you!" or "strike you!" which I mean, wishing for someone to get punched can be considered a curse.

The rest of the popular expressions.. I don't even really see how they're a curse. They're expletives, profanity, maybe insults in comparing someone to excrement or an animal, when they are a person made in God's image. So I can see how using those terms AT people is sin.
But the words themselves? Context is more important than word choice I think.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
:aarh:"Dang"is a freaking curse word!!?
Is "freaking" also one!? :eek:

Less about the word, and more about what you're intending to say.
I think in some cases it's more of a stumbling block issue than anything.
Like if you were to be at a baseball game and say "that home run was freaking great!" okay you're emphasizing how exciting it was to see a good play. That's not a curse, but some brothers and sisters may feel it is so you shouldn't put a stumbling block in front of them.
But if you turn around to your brother or sister and say "You're so freaking dumb"
it's sin there, and it's not even the word it's what your heart was saying, no matter your word choice.

Upvote 0

look4hope

Love.Fellowship.Joy
Angels Team
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Dec 6, 2012
Somewhere in Jersey
✟360,422.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Less about the word, and more about what you're intending to say.
I think in some cases it's more of a stumbling block issue than anything.
Like if you were to be at a baseball game and say "that home run was freaking great!" okay you're emphasizing how exciting it was to see a good play. That's not a curse, but some brothers and sisters may feel it is so you shouldn't put a stumbling block in front of them.
But if you turn around to your brother or sister and say "You're so freaking dumb"
it's sin there, and it's not even the word it's what your heart was saying, no matter your word choice.

Jamdoc...thank you so much!
My intention of those two words always tend to be as a form of excitement, disbelief or silliness. Never meant to insult. Your reply hit the nail on the head. (I’m saying that a lot today...dang)
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It happens I think curse words (I don't like it), but I don't say it aloud. How about you?

Sometimes I say things like "dang". But that's not really a curse word, is it?

I'll make this really simple.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. ----Shakespeare

Ergo, substitute any curse word with another word and it is still the same curse word.
It has nothing at all to do with the word in and of itself, it has everything to to do with the heart within you and the sense of anger you might at the moment feel and express, therefore there is only one way to stop cursing and that is to Repent of it.

Repenting is not a feeling sorry for what you have done, it isn't a confessing of it, nor is it anything else you may want to define Repentance of.

Repentance of cursing is the ceasing of said cursing completely, this secession of cursing is the only way one is able to cease cursing, any substituting of words is only a way of tricking ourselves that we really don't curse, it a lie of the heart, something we do in order to feel better about ourselves without ever having to confront the curse words we might use or cease from our anger.

Jas 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Jas 3:9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Jas 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Jas 3:11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
Jas 3:12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.

Gal_5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Therefore even if you allow that which is not technically a curse word, it is a little leaven in your Spiritual life.

Heb_12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath
✟1,002,560.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It happens I think curse words (I don't like it), but I don't say it aloud. How about you?

Only when next doors Rottweiler eats 'MY FOOD' from my bowl! :mad:

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,432.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't agree with some things been said here. Language change. That means what used to mean one thing, no longer mean the same thing. That a word derived from a bad word, doesn't necessarly mean the new word is a bad word.

To say "gosh!", we don't mean God, even it's a substitue for God.

If we say "gee!" we don't mean Jesus, even that's were it comes from.

Etc.

Edit: I don't know if it's because English isn't my native language, but "dang" or "heck" doesn't sound half as bad as the words they come from. I don't think I consider those substitute words swearing.

To wish someone something bad is a sin. We are always to wish what is good for everyone, even our enemies

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Cursing and cussing aren't the same.

It is unscriptural to curse, cursing is when you say "damn x person to hell" and is a sin.

I never curse... ever.. now that I'm saved. (I DID when I was unsaved, however).

That is not the same as using "vulgar" language - which is language often employed by those of little education and is never used in polite company. The KJV had a couple "cuss" words in it..

I have occasionally used cuss words as a Christian, but generally try to avoid it due simply to optics (so many people see it as sinful because they don't know what cursing means, and have been led in ignorance to think it's synonymous with 4 letter words).. I don't see it as sinful, but perhaps bad optics as a representative of God.

I don't think I'm committing any sin if I say a 4 letter word when I stub my toe, for instance. I just try to avoid all such instances in public settings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,432.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It is unscriptural to curse, cursing is when you say "damn x person to hell" and is a sin.

I never curse... ever.. now that I'm saved. (I DID when I was unsaved, however).

That is not the same as using "vulgar" language - which is language often employed by those of little education and is never used in polite company. The KJV had a couple "cuss" words in it..

I have occasionally used cuss words as a Christian, but generally try to avoid it due simply to optics (so many people see it as sinful because they don't know what cursing means, and have been led in ignorance to think it's synonymous with 4 letter words).. I don't see it as sinful, but perhaps bad optics as a representative of God.

Ah, I didn't know that. I meant cuss then, not curse.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ah, I didn't know that. I meant cuss then, not curse.

I think in our time cussing is more just bad optics, and as such should be avoided.

But around certain segments of society they do think your weird if you don't.. which may not be a bad thing. A good time to talk about Christ perhaps... :)

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

I don't think I'm committing any sin if I say a 4 letter word when I stub my toe, for instance. I just try to avoid all such instances in public settings.

It was a little amusing to me first reading the King James to see the words bastard, harlot, and my favorite.. "him that [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]eth against the wall" (2 Kings 9:8, 1 Kings 21:21).. having had Christians throughout my youth say those were curse words and I shouldn't use them.
It is ultimately what highlighted my doctrine that it's not specific English words that we have a taboo against them that God considers sin, but rather what you are trying to say in your heart, and you can curse at someone without using a single taboo word, and taboo words can be used in a manner that's not cursing at all.

But again.. in some company those words are stumbling blocks so.. mind your manners, don't deliberately use your liberty in Christ to offend.
the Gospel is offensive enough to some people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hezekiah81

Christ died for me so I died for him
Aug 18, 2021
Texas
✟7,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I notice the worldly people curse, not people alive in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
upload_2021-8-24_22-7-55.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0