San jacinto
✟125,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are both examples of what are called “minced oaths.” I am not sure that I can agree with @pescador that it is actually swearing.
To me, it seems a matter of intention. I see no difference in substituting a word for the curse word if it is being used with the same intent as the curse. The specific sounds we make aren't what the sin is, the sin lies in using a thing given to bring life to minister death. So long as the meaning is preserved and the intent of the heart is the same the sin is either there or not there.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
To me, it seems a matter of intention. I see no difference in substituting a word for the curse word if it is being used with the same intent as the curse. The specific sounds we make aren't what the sin is, the sin lies in using a thing given to bring life to minister death. So long as the meaning is preserved and the intent of the heart is the same the sin is either there or not there.

Conversely, I could cite the very large number of people these days who casually and with no maledictory or malign intent, swear what as recently as the 1950s would be regarded as a veritable blue streak likely heard in that era only on an underway merchant vessel.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Conversely, I could cite the very large number of people these days who casually and with no maledictory or malign intent, swear what as recently as the 1950s would be regarded as a veritable blue streak likely heard in that era only on an underway merchant vessel.

Do those words have power though? without the intent is it the specific use of english words that is sin?

Upvote 0

covid-19v1

Dec 18, 2020
Louisiana
✟11,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I stopped cursing for at least 7 years after getting saved and became an adult.

I experienced cursing again after getting married. Dealing with somebody who has personality disorder is too hard for me, I sometimes just curse in frustration.

Now that I understand what I'm dealing with, I always try to control myself. I made a vow before God to love my wife. I will fulfill that vow...

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

If I were you I would move to a new place to live. Where I live most people are kind, considerate, and friendly.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟125,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, and I would be quicker to place the ones who use minced oaths in a malignant manner as being sin than those who lack the vocabulary to express themselves without sounding like a sailor.

Upvote 0