Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"After all the only reason the Nicene creed managed to come out on top is due to some nimble political wrangling a few centuries ago."

LOL, yeah, whatever you say Havoc. Just for the record it had nothing to do with "nimble poliitcal wrangling" anymore then wicca teachings coming out on top because of "nimble political wrangling.

Upvote 0
Do I belong to a cult? No. But, many times I wish I do.

Actually, at one time I did. When I first became a believer, the church I attended was considered by the mainstream Christians as a cult. We were just too "radical" - having outreaches, prayer meetings, Bible studies, "no dating" policy, etc.

Then years later, I went to another extreme and attended a mainline denomination for years. Members made their way to church on Sundays to sing a few hymns and listen to a 15 minute sermon.

So, having been both in a "mainline" and "spurious" church, I'd say it's impossible for us to determine who is a cult or not, or rather, more specifically, who is a true believer. Only God knows.

Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟14,135.00
Faith
Pagan
from Ancienthistoryabout.com

August 25, 2000 marked the 1675th anniversary of the creation of a controversial document cataloging the basic beliefs of Christians -- the Nicene Creed.
At The First Council of Nicea

The first council of Nicaea came to an end on August 25, 325 A.D. Lasting two months, and held in Bithynia, the First Council of Nicea was attended by 318 Church Fathers.

Opposing Images of God

Trinitarian Church fathers Bishop Alexander of Alexandria and his deacon Athanasius believed there were three gods in one. The Trinitarians were pitted against the Monarchianists, who believed in only one indivisible god, and included Arius, Presbyter in Alexandria, and Eusebius, Bishop of Nicomedia.

Homo Ousion (same substance) vs. Homoi Ousion (like substance)

The sticking point at the Nicene Council was a concept found nowhere in the Bible: homoousion. According to the concept of homo-ousion, Christ the Son was con-substantial (sharing the same substance) with the Father. Arius and Eusebius disagreed. Arius thought the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were materially separate from each other, and that the Father created the Son. He and his followers, the Arians, believed if the Son were equal to the Father, there would be more than one God. The opposing Trinitarians believed it diminished the importance of the Son to make him subordinate to the Father.

Constantine's Wavering Decision

The Trinitarian bishops prevailed. Emperor Constantine was not himself a Christian. Despite this, he had recently made Christianity the official state religion of the Roman empire. This made heresy akin to revolt, so Constantine exiled the excommunicated Arius to Illyria. Constantine's friend Eusebius, who eventually withdrew his objection but still wouldn't sign the statement of faith, and a neighboring bishop, Theognis, were also exiled -- to Gaul. Constantine reversed his opinion about the Arian heresy, and had the two bishops reinstated three years later (in 328). At the same time, Arius was recalled from exile.

Constantine's sister and Eusebius worked on the emperor to obtain reinstatement for Arius, and they would have succeeded, if Arius hadn't suddenly died - by poisoning, probably, or, as some prefer to believe, by divine intervention.

Arianism regained momentum and survived until the reigns of Gratian and Theodosius, at which time, St. Ambrose set to work stamping it out.

Sounds like political wrangling as a description certainly fits the bill, including the very convenient death of Arius. Modern Niceans would have us believe that Monarchianists were a fringe group, few in number and influence. The fact is that Monarchianists were strong in number and faith, but a little short on political experience and skullduggery.

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Havoc
Why don't you let us know what you think?

Belief Statement of Soldier of Christ Urban Ministries
GySgt James/founder of volunteer addiction ministry

These beliefs explain our allegiance to the Savior,our dedication to His work,and our stand for absolute truth.

WE BELIEVE the Bible is God's Word,and is trustworthy,authoritative, inerrant and the standard for faith and practice.

WE BELIEVE that there is only one God,eternally existent in three persons:Father,Son and Holy Spirit.

WE BELIEVE in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ,in His virgin birth,in His sinless life,in His miracles,in His substitutionary death through His shed blood,in His bodily resurrection,in His ascension to the right hand of the Father,in His imminent bodily return for His church and in His millennial rule and reign.

WE BELIEVE that the Lord Jesus is the Way,the Truth,and the Life.He provides the only means of reconciliation with God.We are saved by God's grace through faith in Christ,and as a result enters into a new lifestyle of love and obedience to God.

WE BELIEVE in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit,by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a Godly life.

WE BELIEVE in the resurrection of both the saved and lost;they that are saved unto the resurrection of life,and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well at least you acknowledge that it' a set of beliefs and don't claim it to be "absolute truth".

Originally posted by gunnysgt
These beliefs explain our allegiance to the Savior,our dedication to His work,and our stand for absolute truth .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ahhh, I see. You stand for what you believe in, and which you claim, without any evidence, is the absolute truth. Ok, now I get it.

WE BELIEVE the Bible is God's Word,and is trustworthy,authoritative, inerrant and the standard for faith and practice.

JOHN 14:6
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by gunnysgt

JOHN 14:6
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Jesus is the truth, the way, the life.

Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟14,135.00
Faith
Pagan
I have looked for it and there is no proof. There is anecdotal evidence, heasay, circular arguements, but nothing that could be regarded as proof. Nothing that would stand up to scientific scrutiny, unbiased academic investigation, or a court of law.

We've been through this many times. If there really were proof then I'm sure the Religious right wouldn't be losing case after case after case in court.

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you say, over and over again, without any proof of your claim.

Jesus walked this earth, made claims no one has ever made in the history of mankind.

Jesus is the proof. One can deny Him, reject Him, curse Him but He will not be ignored forever for those that deny Him.

ROMANS 14:11
11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

ROMANS 14:12
12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.