Do you believe in demons? Can we cast them out?

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Lord reminds us not to rejoice because the demons are subject to us, but to rejoice because our names are written in heaven.

The strongest offense against the kingdom of darkness is faith in Christ who has vanquished and destroyed death, hell, and the devil.

I consider most "deliverance ministries" to be at best an act of religious theater with charlatanism thrown in; and at worst a glorification of the demonic by presenting the devil and his demons as though they posed a legitimate threat to the kingdom of God.

St. James tells you, "Resist the devil and he will flee."

We are talking about a cowardly, defeated, toothless snake. If the devil starts lying, call him a liar to his face. Jesus Christ is Lord.

Sensationalizing, dramatizing, and using the demonic to manipulate people with fear, superstition, and dread is not working in opposition to the things of the devil, but working in cooperation with the devil.

The devil wants you to be afraid.
The devil wants you to fear and tremble and think he is something worth fearing.
He's not.
The devil is an old sad snake that Jesus has trampled underfoot, crushing, and has left naked and tied up under the beaten down, broken doors of hell.

Jesus Christ is Lord.
And one little word of truth is enough to disarm an army of demons.

Why are there so many groups of Christians out here trying to change the focus from Jesus Christ and His Gospel to "spiritual warfare" nonsense?

-CryptoLutheran
I agree! Our focus is to be on the epistles in relation to how Christians live and the power God has given them in Christ, against the wiles of the devil.

We are told we wrestle not with flesh and blood, but with principalities and powers, against the rulers of darkness, spiritual wickedness, in high places. These are attacks against Christians from other people who are influenced by the rulers of darkness. This is why it’s not flesh and blood we are dealing with. This is why we are told to love our enemies. Because the flesh and blood people who are influenced by Satan are capable of being forgiven by God just as we are forgiven by God. So our wrestling is with the principalities and powers influencing them.

Jesus casted out devils, I don’t see the word demon in the KJV. But just think about what was taking place when Jesus casted out devils. Jesus was showing His Power over the forces of darkness while on earth. At that time Jesus had not died on the cross. However, after Jesus died and rose, the epistles show Jesus still have Power over devils, as he spoiled principalities and powers and made a show of them openly.

So the Power to cast out devils belong to Christ, before His death under the Old Testament and after His death under the New Testament.

To cast out devils under the Old Testament is not the same under the New Testament. We under the New Testament have received Power over the devil by faith by the Holy Spirit. The problem is we look away from the truth of the gospel, and follow these deliverance ministries that’s not based on what the gospel say at all.

Take depression for example. People say that depression is an evil spirit. But, depression is a misguided way of seeing things based on many factors, and most depression is due to having been abused or treated unimportant in life.

We all suffer from some sort of residual affect of abuse: from society, family, work life, spouse, etc., and some with a greater degree than others.

What I have learned is we don’t recognize the power of the gospel of Gods unto salvation. This salvation is not just to inherit the kingdom, but salvation now in dealing with all manners of situations. Salvation is based on faith! It’s not a demon in a person, it’s our wrong belief that the harm caused us by others has some power over us. Yes, satan wants to destroy Christians, and the way he attacks us is through people.

We must remove our focus from people and know their actions are based on Satan’s influence, and then we can stand because we know that Satan has already been defeated in Christ Jesus. We look to the guidance of the Holy Spirit. But this is not easy, so we ask God to renew our minds based on His gospel.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said "Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give." Matt 10:8

"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mark 16:17-18
We don’t seem to understand that we are not under the Old Testament any longer where Jesus gave those commands in Mark. We are under the New Testament which is after Jesus’s death and resurrection. The Holy Spirit had not been given at that time in Mark. Now, under the New Testament, Jesus has ascended, and we now have the Holy Spirit with Power, that casts out any attack from the devils.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
It doesn’t fit with the gospel. We are told to put on the whole armor of God to stand against principalities and powers, but I don’t read anywhere in the New Testament after Christ death and resurrection where a Christian can be demon posses. Jesus casted out devils before He died on the cross.

But after Jesus rose, we are told in Ephesians 1:22 KJV that Christ “hath put all things under his feet, and [God]gave him to be the head over all things to the church.” And that Christ rose far above all principalities and powers. So if these verses are true, and they are, then it’s impossible for a Christian to be demon possessed.

Christians also receive Power by the Holy Spirit! So how can a demon posses a Christian while the have the Holy Spirit in them?
We are also healed by his stripes, yet the body of Christ is riddled with sickness and death.

Although the legal payment for our healing and deliverance from demons was given by his sacrifice, they are not automatic, but have to be taken hold of. The beneficiary of a generous bequest in someone's will is likely to remain penniless of he doesn't bother to collect on what has been granted.

The idea that Christians cannot have demons is in itself a very clever doctrine of demons, designed to ensure that Christians remain in bondage and sickness.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I agree! Our focus is to be on the epistles in relation to how Christians live and the power God has given them in Christ, against the wiles of the devil.

We are told we wrestle not with flesh and blood, but with principalities and powers, against the rulers of darkness, spiritual wickedness, in high places. These are attacks against Christians from other people who are influenced by the rulers of darkness. This is why it’s not flesh and blood we are dealing with. This is why we are told to love our enemies. Because the flesh and blood people who are influenced by Satan are capable of being forgiven by God just as we are forgiven by God. So our wrestling is with the principalities and powers influencing them.

Jesus casted out devils, I don’t see the word demon in the KJV. But just think about what was taking place when Jesus casted out devils. Jesus was showing His Power over the forces of darkness while on earth. At that time Jesus had not died on the cross. However, after Jesus died and rose, the epistles show Jesus still have Power over devils, as he spoiled principalities and powers and made a show of them openly.

So the Power to cast out devils belong to Christ, before His death under the Old Testament and after His death under the New Testament.

To cast out devils under the Old Testament is not the same under the New Testament. We under the New Testament have received Power over the devil by faith by the Holy Spirit. The problem is we look away from the truth of the gospel, and follow these deliverance ministries that’s not based on what the gospel say at all.

Take depression for example. People say that depression is an evil spirit. But, depression is a misguided way of seeing things based on many factors, and most depression is due to having been abused or treated unimportant in life.

We all suffer from some sort of residual affect of abuse: from society, family, work life, spouse, etc., and some with a greater degree than others.

What I have learned is we don’t recognize the power of the gospel of Gods unto salvation. This salvation is not just to inherit the kingdom, but salvation now in dealing with all manners of situations. Salvation is based on faith! It’s not a demon in a person, it’s our wrong belief that the harm caused us by others has some power over us. Yes, satan wants to destroy Christians, and the way he attacks us is through people.

We must remove our focus from people and know their actions are based on Satan’s influence, and then we can stand because we know that Satan has already been defeated in Christ Jesus. We look to the guidance of the Holy Spirit. But this is not easy, so we ask God to renew our minds based on His gospel.
So you know better than the apostles, who got it all wrong when they cast demons out.
I think I'll carry on doing what I see in the NT, and carry on doing what Jesus said, casting demons (evil spirits) out just as I've been doing for the last 40 odd years.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you know better than the apostles, who got it all wrong when they cast demons out.
I think I'll carry on doing what I see in the NT, and carry on doing what Jesus said, casting demons (evil spirits) out just as I've been doing for the last 40 odd years.
Give some examples!

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are also healed by his stripes, yet the body of Christ is riddled with sickness and death.

Although the legal payment for our healing and deliverance from demons was given by his sacrifice, they are not automatic, but have to be taken hold of. The beneficiary of a generous bequest in someone's will is likely to remain penniless of he doesn't bother to collect on what has been granted.

The idea that Christians cannot have demons is in itself a very clever doctrine of demons, designed to ensure that Christians remain in bondage and sickness.
I have not ignored scripture. You might not understand the difference between power under the Old Testament and power under the New Testament.

We must follow the New Testament after Jesus’s death. We are not under the Old Testament’s way of casting out devils, that Jesus taught. Jesus was still alive and it was the power Jesus bestowed on His disciples that permitted them to cast out devils. Matthew 9:15 KJV, gives the reason, “And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.”

What happened when the bridegroom was taken away? Jesus told the disciples to tarry to receive power from on high, Luke 24:49 KJV, “And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.”

But before Jesus told His disciples to tarry, he breathed on them to receive the Holy Ghost, John 20:22 KJV. After receiving the Holy Ghost, they were all filed with the Holy Spirit, and started speaking in tongues on Pentecost, Acts 2:1-4 KJV.

So now, to be endowed with power from on high, Luke 24:49 KJV; this is the power we now operate by, 2 Timothy 1:2 KJV. We operate by the Spirit of Christ that has been given us because the bridegroom is no longer here; He is in heaven at the right hand of the Father.

The Spirit of Christ that when we are filled with does the casting out devils. That’s what this verse means, Romans 16:20 KJV, that God will put Satan under our feet shortly.

That’s why we are told to put on the whole armor of God and by doing so our inner man is strengthened with might by the Holy Spirit, Ephesians 3:16 KJV. This is what Apostle Paul means by saying, “I live, yet not I but Christ lives in me, Galatians 2:20 KJV. This is the Spirit of Christ [in us] with Power.

The above is the power of the gospel under the New Testament that we must teach. It is the power of Christ that casts out devils by His Spirit, not us. These are the miracles talked about in Galatians 3:5 KJV.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Give some examples!
Here's Jesus commanding us to cast them out.-
Mark16v15And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17And these signs will follow those who [d]believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18they[e] will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

And here's Paul obeying that command.-
Acts16v16Now it happened of us going to the place of prayer, a certain girl, having a spirit of Python,a met us, who was bringing her masters much gain by fortune-telling. 17Having followed Paul and us, she was crying out, saying, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to you the way of salvation.”

18And she continued this for many days. And Paul having been distressed and having turned, said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out from her.” And it came out that hour.

Acts19v11And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul: 12So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I have not ignored scripture. You might not understand the difference between power under the Old Testament and power under the New Testament.

We must follow the New Testament after Jesus’s death. We are not under the Old Testament’s way of casting out devils, that Jesus taught. Jesus was still alive and it was the power Jesus bestowed on His disciples that permitted them to cast out devils. Matthew 9:15 KJV, gives the reason, “And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.”

What happened when the bridegroom was taken away? Jesus told the disciples to tarry to receive power from on high, Luke 24:49 KJV, “And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.”

But before Jesus told His disciples to tarry, he breathed on them to receive the Holy Ghost, John 20:22 KJV. After receiving the Holy Ghost, they were all filed with the Holy Spirit, and started speaking in tongues on Pentecost, Acts 2:1-4 KJV.

So now, to be endowed with power from on high, Luke 24:49 KJV; this is the power we now operate by, 2 Timothy 1:2 KJV. We operate by the Spirit of Christ that has been given us because the bridegroom is no longer here; He is in heaven at the right hand of the Father.

The Spirit of Christ that when we are filled with does the casting out devils. That’s what this verse means, Romans 16:20 KJV, that God will put Satan under our feet shortly.

That’s why we are told to put on the whole armor of God and by doing so our inner man is strengthened with might by the Holy Spirit, Ephesians 3:16 KJV. This is what Apostle Paul means by saying, “I live, yet not I but Christ lives in me, Galatians 2:20 KJV. This is the Spirit of Christ [in us] with Power.

The above is the power of the gospel under the New Testament that we must teach. It is the power of Christ that casts out devils by His Spirit, not us. These are the miracles talked about in Galatians 3:5 KJV.
There is no difference between Jesus and us today. Jesus cast demons out by the Spirit of God, and commanded us to do the same. And just as Jesus initiated that casting out with his words, so must we. The notion that the Holy Spirit does it by himself has no basis in scripture.

If we do not command them to go, then the Holy Spirit will not step in. The same is true with healing.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's Jesus commanding us to cast them out.-
Mark16v15And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17And these signs will follow those who [d]believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18they[e] will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

And here's Paul obeying that command.-
Acts16v16Now it happened of us going to the place of prayer, a certain girl, having a spirit of Python,a met us, who was bringing her masters much gain by fortune-telling. 17Having followed Paul and us, she was crying out, saying, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to you the way of salvation.”

18And she continued this for many days. And Paul having been distressed and having turned, said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out from her.” And it came out that hour.

Acts19v11And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul: 12So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.
Thank you for the scriptures!

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no difference between Jesus and us today. Jesus cast demons out by the Spirit of God, and commanded us to do the same. And just as Jesus initiated that casting out with his words, so must we. The notion that the Holy Spirit does it by himself has no basis in scripture.

If we do not command them to go, then the Holy Spirit will not step in. The same is true with healing.
I have to review this again for better understanding. I’m saying this because of a time where I was praying to cast out evil spirit possibly affecting me in my life, and on more than one occasions I could feel them lift up off of me / off my back and fly away. Now I was very conscious of this but didn’t keep up the practice. I have also experienced miracles that altered circumstances for my good all by the power of the Holy Spirit.

So which should I focus on has been the real question for me. Of course we are told not to grieve the Spirit. But in my mind I ask should I also be casting out devils if I have the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I have to review this again for better understanding. I’m saying this because of a time where I was praying to cast out evil spirit possibly affecting me in my life, and on more than one occasions I could feel them lift up off of me / off my back and fly away. Now I was very conscious of this but didn’t keep up the practice. I have also experienced miracles that altered circumstances for my good all by the power of the Holy Spirit.

So which should I focus on has been the real question for me. Of course we are told not to grieve the Spirit. But in my mind I ask should I also be casting out devils if I have the Holy Spirit.
Here's a revealing little snippet, Matt12v28But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

Jesus did not cast demons out by his own power, but by the Spirit of God. In the very same manner, we should cast demons out. We issue the command, and the Spirit does the work.

I see this the same as I see David killing Goliath, a joint exercise. David put the stone in his sling, swung it around his head and released it. The HS directed it and put force behind it to impact Goliath's head.

It has always been like this. The Israelites entered the land, but the Spirit of God fought with them. The moment they stopped fighting, so did the HS.

If we want to abide in the kingdom of God, then we have to bring about regime change, and no matter what people preach, the Lord does this in unison with His children. ie. The Spirit will not act alone in driving the enemy out.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I totally believe in the power of God yes. Demons are very real yes & God can set us free totally yes. However, that is entirely upto Him & His will to heal us.. Remember sometimes, God may have to leave something or a number of things in the way, which are meant to always prompt us and prevent us from relaxing & getting comfortable....

Apostle Paul prayed for a certain girl, who had an evil spirit & she was set free. If I'm not mistaken, it could've been him again, who was bitten by a snake but was not harmed by its poison etc & yet God refused to heal him from his eye condition.

God refused to heal Paul as his condition was meant to keep reminding him, of where the Lord had brought him from & to keep his eyes fixed on Christ for as long as he was alive.

God is faithful though, even if one's condition is demonic, as long as God sees that they will still be able to function effectively in their office & it will not prevent them from entering heaven, they might have to manage like that even for life.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God in the end gets to achieve that below in His children..

Psalm 66:9-12

New International Version

9 he has preserved our lives
and kept our feet from slipping.
10 For you, God, tested us;
you refined us like silver.
11 You brought us into prison
and laid burdens on our backs.
12 You let people ride over our heads;
we went through fire and water,
but you brought us to a place of abundance.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When God gives His child an assignment in this earth, He must protect it some how. He allows affliction in our lives, to achieve that.

Our fleshly nature, must remain pressed down somehow as it is very easy to become distracted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Luke chapter 9 . Christian people have power to order satan and evil spirits away from your home.

Any sensible person won't put with it.

Really sad story. A girl I once dated in 1997. I cut off contact. She was gold digger and habitual liar.
In year 2000, I converted to being Christian. In 2004, she left message on my answer machine. It was vulgar and hatred. It was 5 minutes long. Half way through, her voice changed to Masculine Voice. I believe this is demonic possession.

A unclean spirit cannot dwell with Christian who has holy spirit. They can't co exist together.

Old job, 2011. I was in break room, sweeping. Janitor job. Three women in single file, walked in. They stood their for 30 seconds. Then at the same time, verbally harassing the us in break room. After one minute of this. The three women in single file, matched out.
I believe it was directed at me. I have holy spirit. Further evidence. These same women harassed me until I left the store year later.
They have unclean spirit. Satan control's them. It's really pathetic.

Matthew chapter 12:43 to document, a unclean spirit can inhabit person.

Demonic possession is real !!.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Do you believe in demons? Can we cast them out?​

Sort of - but I'm not too bothered about them.

I think there are countless different orders of angels all with a job and a heirarchy. Some went into rebellion. I know they can influence but im not overly concerned about it. I also think there is a lot of superstition out there.

The bible does talk about demons being cast out. I think the authors probably believed Jesus was casting out demons, whether he was or not - I don't know.

I wouldn't waste too much time focussing on evil - instead chase after the good.

Upvote 0