Do you believe in demons? Can we cast them out?

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Lord reminds us not to rejoice because the demons are subject to us, but to rejoice because our names are written in heaven.

The strongest offense against the kingdom of darkness is faith in Christ who has vanquished and destroyed death, hell, and the devil.

I consider most "deliverance ministries" to be at best an act of religious theater with charlatanism thrown in; and at worst a glorification of the demonic by presenting the devil and his demons as though they posed a legitimate threat to the kingdom of God.

St. James tells you, "Resist the devil and he will flee."

We are talking about a cowardly, defeated, toothless snake. If the devil starts lying, call him a liar to his face. Jesus Christ is Lord.

Sensationalizing, dramatizing, and using the demonic to manipulate people with fear, superstition, and dread is not working in opposition to the things of the devil, but working in cooperation with the devil.

The devil wants you to be afraid.
The devil wants you to fear and tremble and think he is something worth fearing.
He's not.
The devil is an old sad snake that Jesus has trampled underfoot, crushing, and has left naked and tied up under the beaten down, broken doors of hell.

Jesus Christ is Lord.
And one little word of truth is enough to disarm an army of demons.

Why are there so many groups of Christians out here trying to change the focus from Jesus Christ and His Gospel to "spiritual warfare" nonsense?

-CryptoLutheran
Perhaps it's not one vs the other, but it can be both at the same time. Part of the Gospels was Jesus casting out demons. Part of Acts was the apostles casting out demons. Perhaps part of the "good news" is that we can be free of such things.

Spiritual warfare doesn't change the focus from Jesus, it's a part His ministry, not all of it, but a real tangible piece. Jesus confronted the devil with scripture. When Peter was in prison, believers got together and prayed for his freedom, today we would call that spiritual warfare. The sword of the Spirit was given in context of a fight that was not against flesh and blood. It brings glory to God that our prayers avail much and can push back the darkness.

Deliverance doesn't diminish the Gospel, it magnifies it. Spiritual warfare doesn't move the focus away from Jesus, it magnifies Him.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I consider most "deliverance ministries" to be at best an act of religious theater with charlatanism thrown in; and at worst a glorification of the demonic by presenting the devil and his demons as though they posed a legitimate threat to the kingdom of God.
Religious theatre and charlatanism well describes most Catholic or liturgical services,
but in all aspects of what they do and not just in deliverance.
But theatricals aside, have you ever witnessed a simple straightforward deliverance, as we see in scripture?
Have you ever done any deliverance yourself?
St. James tells you, "Resist the devil and he will flee."

We are talking about a cowardly, defeated, toothless snake.
If the devil is toothless why does scripture warn us that he is dangerous.
1Pet5v8Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
Clearly, the devil is not toothless if he can devour Christians!
If the devil starts lying, call him a liar to his face. Jesus Christ is Lord.
So, when did you last see the devil?
Sensationalizing, dramatizing, and using the demonic to manipulate people with fear, superstition, and dread is not working in opposition to the things of the devil, but working in cooperation with the devil.
Err? You are the one turning it into sensationalism drama.
I ask again, have you ever cast demons out?
The devil wants you to be afraid.
The devil wants you to fear and tremble and think he is something worth fearing.
He's not.
The devil is an old sad snake that Jesus has trampled underfoot, crushing, and has left naked and tied up under the beaten down, broken doors of hell.
More of your mythology.
Yes, Satan was legally defeated at the cross, but he is not tied up under hell, but still around and able to kill steal and destroy the lives of Christians.
Again, have you ever cast demons out, or is this just pious bluster?
Jesus Christ is Lord.
And one little word of truth is enough to disarm an army of demons.
Your words, instead of disarming the demons, are disarming the saints, leaving them completely vulnerable to demonic oppression.
Why are there so many groups of Christians out here trying to change the focus from Jesus Christ and His Gospel to "spiritual warfare" nonsense?
-CryptoLutheran
Why did Jesus order believers to cast demons out if spiritual warfare is nonsense?
Why are you speaking in support of the enemy

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps it's not one vs the other, but it can be both at the same time. Part of the Gospels was Jesus casting out demons. Part of Acts was the apostles casting out demons. Perhaps part of the "good news" is that we can be free of such things.

Spiritual warfare doesn't change the focus from Jesus, it's a part His ministry, not all of it, but a real tangible piece. Jesus confronted the devil with scripture. When Peter was in prison, believers got together and prayed for his freedom, today we would call that spiritual warfare. The sword of the Spirit was given in context of a fight that was not against flesh and blood. It brings glory to God that our prayers avail much and can push back the darkness.

Deliverance doesn't diminish the Gospel, it magnifies it. Spiritual warfare doesn't move the focus away from Jesus, it magnifies Him.

We don't wear the full armor of God through "spiritual warfare", but by holding firm to Christ, God's promises. We are helmeted with salvation, we are shirted with the righteousness of Jesus Christ, we are shielded by faith, we are belted with truth, we are booted with the Gospel of God's Peace, we are armed with God's word.

We fight the devil by holding firm to the faith we have received, by being faithful to Christ.

Because greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world. In Christ we are more than conquerors. I'm more than a warrior, or a soldier, I am a citizen of the kingdom who rests upon the Victory of the Son of God against every power and principality, who has brought hell to ruin, slain death, and bound the devil to his certain doom. Every slavery, every captivating power, every vice of man, every scheme of Satan, is broken, destroyed, and dead beneath the feet of Christ the Lord of lords and King of kings, who lives and reigns at the right hand of the Father with all kingdom, power, and authority: The Almighty and Risen Lord Pantokrator, Jesus Christ.

I'm not saying demon possession doesn't happen. I'm not saying that the demonic isn't real and should be taken seriously. What I am saying is that Enthusiasm has brought with it a multitude of superstitious ideas, infusing proper Christian faith with latent pagan superstition, false doctrine, and creating an entire religious culture centered around supernatural fear and superstition.

The truly demonic is real. And it means taking God's promises as being real. At the Name of Jesus Christ every vile spirit flees. It has been this way for two thousand years.

I am sealed in the blood of Jesus Christ the Lamb of God by the gift of Holy Baptism, sealed with the Holy Spirit, marked by God.

The only real weapon the devil has is his lies.

We're told the devil masquerades as an angel of light. Do you really think the devil is going to make himself obvious by wearing horns and engaging in weird theatrics?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We don't wear the full armor of God through "spiritual warfare", but by holding firm to Christ, God's promises. We are helmeted with salvation, we are shirted with the righteousness of Jesus Christ, we are shielded by faith, we are belted with truth, we are booted with the Gospel of God's Peace, we are armed with God's word.

We fight the devil by holding firm to the faith we have received, by being faithful to Christ.

Because greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world. In Christ we are more than conquerors. I'm more than a warrior, or a soldier, I am a citizen of the kingdom who rests upon the Victory of the Son of God against every power and principality, who has brought hell to ruin, slain death, and bound the devil to his certain doom. Every slavery, every captivating power, every vice of man, every scheme of Satan, is broken, destroyed, and dead beneath the feet of Christ the Lord of lords and King of kings, who lives and reigns at the right hand of the Father with all kingdom, power, and authority: The Almighty and Risen Lord Pantokrator, Jesus Christ.

I'm not saying demon possession doesn't happen. I'm not saying that the demonic isn't real and should be taken seriously. What I am saying is that Enthusiasm has brought with it a multitude of superstitious ideas, infusing proper Christian faith with latent pagan superstition, false doctrine, and creating an entire religious culture centered around supernatural fear and superstition.

The truly demonic is real. And it means taking God's promises as being real. At the Name of Jesus Christ every vile spirit flees. It has been this way for two thousand years.

I am sealed in the blood of Jesus Christ the Lamb of God by the gift of Holy Baptism, sealed with the Holy Spirit, marked by God.

The only real weapon the devil has is his lies.

We're told the devil masquerades as an angel of light. Do you really think the devil is going to make himself obvious by wearing horns and engaging in weird theatrics?

-CryptoLutheran
There you go again limiting God by limiting the armor of God. We don't put it on through spiritual warfare, but spiritual warfare is one of its many uses.

You can hedge what you said all you want, but Fransis is right, I'm about 99% sure you've never directly experienced deliverance in any way shape or form, which makes all your statements nothing but opinion with nothing to back them up but uninformed interpretation. You speak with authority you don't have.

"What you are saying" or did basically say was that I myself am at best a charlatan and worst glorifying the demonic. That is ignorant, uninformed and insulting to the hundreds of people who have actually experienced true deliverance and their testimonies.

• Agree
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There you go again limiting God by limiting the armor of God. We don't put it on through spiritual warfare, but spiritual warfare is one of its many uses.

You can hedge what you said all you want, but Fransis is right, I'm about 99% sure you've never directly experienced deliverance in any way shape or form, which makes all your statements nothing but opinion with nothing to back them up but uninformed interpretation. You speak with authority you don't have.

"What you are saying" or did basically say was that I myself am at best a charlatan and worst glorifying the demonic. That is ignorant, uninformed and insulting to the hundreds of people who have actually experienced true deliverance and their testimonies.

I don't believe you're a charlatan. But I do believe that your interpretation of experiences is mistaken.

And I say that as someone who grew up in a "spiritual warfare" church tradition, and who attributed a lot of things to spiritual warfare and the presence of invisible agents in my early Christian life.

Because the devil wants us to believe he's big, scary, and powerful. Because he's a liar.

-CryptoLutheran

• Informative
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe you're a charlatan. But I do believe that your interpretation of experiences is mistaken.

And I say that as someone who grew up in a "spiritual warfare" church tradition, and who attributed a lot of things to spiritual warfare and the presence of invisible agents in my early Christian life.

Because the devil wants us to believe he's big, scary, and powerful. Because he's a liar.

-CryptoLutheran
Yeah he is a liar, and perhaps he is lying to you about what he is capable of, that doesn't make him any less defeated.

You said most "deliverance ministries" are at best charlatans and at worst glorify the devil. That is a major statement. I oversee a deliverance ministry, my mentor is one of the world's leading authorities on it, one of my best friend's also oversees a deliverance ministry. Tell me. Which of us are charlatans and which are glorifying the devil? Surly one or more of us fit under the banner of "most deliverance ministries".

I've overseen over 800 deliverances. I was there in some capacity for all of them. You where there for none of them. You have no idea what goes on during a session and what does not. You don't know what we teach on the subject. And the same holds true for "most" deliverance ministries out there. You only have conjecture. So you tell me, who is more likely to be mistaken?

• Winner
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yeah he is a liar, and perhaps he is lying to you about what he is capable of, that doesn't make him any less defeated.

You said most "deliverance ministries" are at best charlatans and at worst glorify the devil. That is a major statement. I oversee a deliverance ministry, my mentor is one of the world's leading authorities on it, one of my best friend's also oversees a deliverance ministry. Tell me. Which of us are charlatans and which are glorifying the devil? Surly one or more of us fit under the banner of "most deliverance ministries".

I've overseen over 800 deliverances. I was there in some capacity for all of them. You where there for none of them. You have no idea what goes on during a session and what does not. You don't know what we teach on the subject. And the same holds true for "most" deliverance ministries out there. You only have conjecture. So you tell me, who is more likely to be mistaken?

Whichever is more consistent with Scripture, and with two thousand years of Christian teaching and practice--that's where the truth is found.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whichever is more consistent with Scripture, and with two thousand years of Christian teaching and practice--that's where the truth is found.

-CryptoLutheran
Cop out. I use all the exact same scriptures you do, and more, to backup the ministry. We just have a different interpretation of them. The difference is I've got tangible fruit to back it up along with scripture. You've got nothing but name-calling and bravado.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Cop out. I use all the exact same scriptures you do, and more, to backup the ministry. We just have a different interpretation of them. The difference is I've got tangible fruit to back it up along with scripture. You've got nothing but name-calling and bravado.

I haven't engaged in name-calling or bravado. I've charged that those who engage in deliverance theatrics are either charlatans or are legitimately believing in what they're selling--in which case I argue they are glorifying the devil.

That's not name-calling. That's calling a spade a spade.

When a person in an MLM tries to get someone to sign up for the MLM, there are two options: They are knowingly tricking someone to be part of something harmful, or they are true believers and are themselves victims being strung along.

I apologize if my position offends you, but I can't simply change what I believe at the drop of the hat because it may insensitive for those who believe otherwise.

You'll also note that I haven't denied demon possession, nor have I denied that demons do in fact act. The Church has always been in the business of casting out demons.

My problem isn't with legitimate exorcism and legitimate spiritual healing found in the Church. My problem is with the preaching of doctrines of fear. When false prophets, false self-appointed "apostles", and other wolves in sheep's clothing come telling the Faithful that they should be terrified. Terrified of "witches", Satanists, Halloween, Harry Potter, other works of fantasy and fiction, to be terrified about what they eat, wear, eat, drink, who they associate with, who try and deprive the Faithful of their money they need to eat and keep a roof over their head. With those who go around engaging in spectacular sensationalist nonsense to fleece the flock of Christ, who talk about things like "demons of homosexuality" or "demons of cancer".

When the message is, "Careful, you could have a demon and not even know it yet." That's so fundamentally antithetical to the preaching of the Gospel, the preaching of Christ, and the doctrine of His Church.

Of course the devil wants to kill, steal, and destroy. But it doesn't take a televangelist with millions of dollars claiming to have special exorcism powers through some false "anointing" to chase the devil away.

Believe in Christ. There is no greater offense against the kingdom of hell than faith in Jesus and resting firm in His promises.

Every baptism is an exorcism.

-CryptoLutheran

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I haven't engaged in name-calling or bravado. I've charged that those who engage in deliverance theatrics are either charlatans or are legitimately believing in what they're selling--in which case I argue they are glorifying the devil.

That's not name-calling. That's calling a spade a spade.

When a person in an MLM tries to get someone to sign up for the MLM, there are two options: They are knowingly tricking someone to be part of something harmful, or they are true believers and are themselves victims being strung along.

I apologize if my position offends you, but I can't simply change what I believe at the drop of the hat because it may insensitive for those who believe otherwise.

You'll also note that I haven't denied demon possession, nor have I denied that demons do in fact act. The Church has always been in the business of casting out demons.

My problem isn't with legitimate exorcism and legitimate spiritual healing found in the Church. My problem is with the preaching of doctrines of fear. When false prophets, false self-appointed "apostles", and other wolves in sheep's clothing come telling the Faithful that they should be terrified. Terrified of "witches", Satanists, Halloween, Harry Potter, other works of fantasy and fiction, to be terrified about what they eat, wear, eat, drink, who they associate with, who try and deprive the Faithful of their money they need to eat and keep a roof over their head. With those who go around engaging in spectacular sensationalist nonsense to fleece the flock of Christ, who talk about things like "demons of homosexuality" or "demons of cancer".

When the message is, "Careful, you could have a demon and not even know it yet." That's so fundamentally antithetical to the preaching of the Gospel, the preaching of Christ, and the doctrine of His Church.

Of course the devil wants to kill, steal, and destroy. But it doesn't take a televangelist with millions of dollars claiming to have special exorcism powers through some false "anointing" to chase the devil away.

Believe in Christ. There is no greater offense against the kingdom of hell than faith in Jesus and resting firm in His promises.

Every baptism is an exorcism.

-CryptoLutheran
I've noted that you have avoided any and all questions about your direct experience with these things.

My problem is you ARE calling people names when you arbitrarily assign "most" deliverance ministries into the categories you describe. You haven't observed "most" deliverance ministries or done some type of comprehensive survey. Yet, somehow you know these things? Do some ministries do it wrong, certainly, but just because some abuse the truth doesn't mean the rest of us should refuse the truth.

My problem is you are causing damage to real legitimate ministries by throwing "most" of them under the bus with nothing to back it up.

My problem is that you are, ironically, stoking the same fear that you claim to be coming against. You are making people afraid of legitimate deliverance. Making them afraid of the ministry itself and making them afraid to seek it out because something must be wrong with them if they need it. Unlike you I have very direct experience to back those statements up. I have personally seen and had to encourage people struggling with those issues many, many times.

It would have been just as easy and effective to post something along the lines of, "I believe in deliverance, but watch out for these things..." And the same for spiritual warfare. There was zero need to call most deliverance ministries charlatans. That's an accusation you can't back up. In fact it's an accusation towards fellow believers you can't back up, including me and close personal friends of mine. The scripture IS clear about where accusations of the brethren come from.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I have experienced enough to not doubt their existance. However, through the power of faith and prayer, I will not let them have influence over me. However, I also believe that recklessly challenging a demon is dangerous.
Why is challenging a demon reckless when believers have been given authority, and instructed to cast them out?

Upvote 0

Theopalcross

Nov 17, 2022
Mulberry
✟8,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
yes i do believe in demons existing. I had one encounter , i didnt see anything but rather i felt something . I casted it out of my room by my own will. I was a Satanist back then. Whatever the force was, it was not good .

I left Satanism for paganism /wicca shortly after and felt ok for awhile but gradually struggled until finally converting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure of the validity of deliverance videos these days because acting possessed wouldn't be difficult and considering the state of many mainstream 'churches' today, where it seems to revolve more around popularity and fame of the pastor and their particular ministry, I prefer not to watch or comment on the video.

However, I have had a personal experience where I was corrected by God and shown my false beliefs. This happened by way of experiencing the demonic personally. I actually thought it was God at first until I was pinned to the bed and this vile thing told me I had to 'accept Jesus into my heart' in order to progress with my destiny. I'm not a naturally open person and find it difficult tovtrust

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure of the validity of deliverance videos these days because acting possessed wouldn't be difficult and considering the state of many mainstream 'churches' today, where it seems to revolve more around popularity and fame of the pastor and their particular ministry, I prefer not to watch or comment on the video.

However, I have had a personal experience where I was corrected by God and shown my false beliefs. This happened by way of experiencing the demonic personally. I actually thought it was God at first until I was pinned to the bed and this vile thing told me I had to 'accept Jesus into my heart' in order to progress with my destiny. I'm not a naturally open person and find it difficult tovtrust
Had to continue my post with reply because my phone is hard to type on it keeps hitting post.

Anyway, what broke the spell is growing up with my Christian Nan so having some background knowledge of God helped. I had a thought 'hang on, didn't God give us free will?' And immediately I said no and cried out to God because I knew in that moment I was going to lose him completely. It broke the spell and the next day I went straight to the local church and accepted Jesus as my saviour. It's been a long year of attacks but it's a battle in the mind for every one of us.

I believe God has full control, including what the enemy can and can't do. I have been afraid of demons coming back but lately realise I don't have to be because they're nothing compared to God. They aren't even creative enough to come up with new tricks. It's always just lying with just a sprinkling of truth to get you hooked in.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Daniel Adams Rebukes A VOODOO DEMON That Manifested In A Lady!
Do you believe in the power of God? Does it have the ability to set someone free? In this amazing video we see the power of almighty God on display as a young woman get set from from a voodoo demon!

Do you think this is real?
https://www.christian-meditations.com/daniel-adams-rebukes-voodoo-demon/
I believe in demons /unclean spirits and in my late teens / early twenties I was obsessed with possession,
AT the time i hadn't been Baptized ever, neither by the LORD with his Holy Spirit or in a Church,
I nearly Died,
I was saved by an Angel.
That day it was GOD who saved me and I'll stand by it, else I would've died. Hallelujah!
What I saw in that video I'd say seemed more like compulsion not full on possession.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Demons know Jesus is real. Thier terrified of Jesus. Luke chapter 9:42. And as he was yet a coming the devil threw him down, and TARE him. And Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, and healed the child, and delivered him again to his father. In name of Jesus, Christian people have the power to order evil spirits and satan out of their home. Get behind me !!. Satan and fallen angels are scared of Jesus. Thier scared of Christian people who have the brass horns to use name of Jesus to order them away. Mark chapter 5:7. And cried with loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, Thou son of the Most High God? I ADJURE thee by God, that Thou torment me not. Evil spirits and satan are terrified of Jesus. Demon possession is real. Thier called a unclean spirit. Back in 2004. A former girl I once dated in 1990s. She left message for me on answering machine, in 2004. It was vile, hatred and swearing. Halfway in 5 minutes, her voice changed to Masculine voice. Get the picture. Its demonic possession. These wicked people allow it to happen. They hate God, hate Christians. Thier just evil. I documented this.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Daniel Adams Rebukes A VOODOO DEMON That Manifested In A Lady!
Do you believe in the power of God? Does it have the ability to set someone free? In this amazing video we see the power of almighty God on display as a young woman get set from from a voodoo demon!

Do you think this is real?
https://www.christian-meditations.com/daniel-adams-rebukes-voodoo-demon/
It doesn’t fit with the gospel. We are told to put on the whole armor of God to stand against principalities and powers, but I don’t read anywhere in the New Testament after Christ death and resurrection where a Christian can be demon posses. Jesus casted out devils before He died on the cross.

But after Jesus rose, we are told in Ephesians 1:22 KJV that Christ “hath put all things under his feet, and [God]gave him to be the head over all things to the church.” And that Christ rose far above all principalities and powers. So if these verses are true, and they are, then it’s impossible for a Christian to be demon possessed.

Christians also receive Power by the Holy Spirit! So how can a demon posses a Christian while the have the Holy Spirit in them?

Upvote 0